Best Way To Improve Myself?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Psicko23 #41 Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Yeah, at tier 2, most planes are the roughly the same minus the tsh2 and the ao192. T4/t5 is where most is the lines start differentiating from each other, minus a free exceptions.

CruzANDBruz #42 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• 797 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 22 December 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

IMO the game changes completely at tier 4 and tier 8, but learning the basics of maneuvering in a 3 dimensional arena is still useful at the lower tiers. You don't truly start learning the principles of energy management, etc until tier 4 and even then it's not as effective as it becomes at tier 6.

Cheers!
Glenn

Yep, completely changes, At least for some of us. I'm feeling that now. I recently started playing Tier 4 and although I have north of 3500 battles under my belt, I simply feel lost. I guess I got used to being comfortable in the lower tiers. I keep allowing myself to get into situations where I'm a vulnerable or don't see the pilot who lights me up until it's too late. It seems like I have to pick between two bad choices. If I stay with the pack it becomes a fur ball that I can't get away from and if I play around the edges of the pack some high altitude heavy quickly singles me out - either way I'm likely dead meat.

People keep mentioning using the sun. Does this game really account for the sun and make you less visible to the enemy when you attack with the sun behind you? Do tell.

Threads like this one helps and us noobies really do appreciate it.

Psicko23 #43 Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I don't think the sun trick works with the bots. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen much difference between using the sun or not. If you get directly in between the sun and a human pilot, the pilot can lose sight of you for a short while. 

CruzANDBruz #44 Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

Master Sergeant

• 797 battles

View PostPsicko23, on 14 May 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

I don't think the sun trick works with the bots. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen much difference between using the sun or not. If you get directly in between the sun and a human pilot, the pilot can lose sight of you for a short while. 

Good to know. Please answer this. How in the heck do pilots hide from radar at altitude? Today I'm flying the B109. I recognize that the biggest, baddest plane on the other team to be a human pilot in a BF110. He's a threat, he needs to be one of the first to die, and I know he'll be looking at me and thinking the same, So, I climb to between six and 7,000 feet and circle around looking for this guy everywhere, particularly around the edges. Suddenly I'm being lit up by a plane on my six that popped up on radar near the same altitude as me and at about the same time I heard the sound of lead striking metal. This isn't the first time I've had this happen and I don't understand it. I can understand hiding behind terrain and such, but at altitude I should be able to see planes before they're within gun range. Is this a game flaw, nature of the beast, or some kind of trick I don't know about?

Edited by CruzANDBruz, 15 May 2017 - 10:55 PM.

Dsembr_Rein #45 Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 107 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The most basic factor in spotting enemy aircraft is which way you're facing. All aircraft have a cone of sight projecting out of each crew member which will spot enemy aircraft at the furthest range where spotting is possible. Spotting distances get shorter the further you get from the center of that cone of sight, with the shortest directly behind your aircraft (unless you have a tailgunner). An enemy on your 6 can quite often get within firing range without you spotting them, especially if they hold their fire until within range as firing weapons makes aircraft easier to spot, if they came out of the clouds and by chance happened to be on your tail, or if they had the sun behind them and used it to their advantage.

Psicko23 #46 Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
 Yeah, if they pop up on your 6 they won't show up on the radar until they shoot at you, or are spotted by a team mate before they shoot you.

CruzANDBruz #47 Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

Master Sergeant

• 797 battles
Thanks y'all. Good to know stuff.

GhostPrime #48 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 15 May 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

The most basic factor in spotting enemy aircraft is which way you're facing. All aircraft have a cone of sight projecting out of each crew member which will spot enemy aircraft at the furthest range where spotting is possible. Spotting distances get shorter the further you get from the center of that cone of sight, with the shortest directly behind your aircraft (unless you have a tailgunner). An enemy on your 6 can quite often get within firing range without you spotting them, especially if they hold their fire until within range as firing weapons makes aircraft easier to spot, if they came out of the clouds and by chance happened to be on your tail, or if they had the sun behind them and used it to their advantage.

This is good information, and there are other factors as well. There was a Dev blog all about the visibility system in WoWP. It's actually fairly complex. Here is a link to the Article:

http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/visibility-system-world-warplanes/

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users