Best Way To Improve Myself?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Zapperguy #21 Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34115 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

This game typically takes 200 battles to not s*ck. You should try flighting with one of your clanmates and using comms such as TeamSpeak. Real-time verbal advice/instruction is invaluable to a new player.

Here are some very basic tips:

• Learn the 4 plane types - Fighter, Multirole Fighter, Heavy Fighter, & Attack Aircraft. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses not only when you fly them, but when you face them.
  • Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better plane will make the difference. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Take it slow and develop your skills. You'll need them at higher tiers.
  • Don't be first. First to red is usually first dead. If you lead the pack the enemy will see you first and you will have several planes attacking you at once. Hang back in the pack!!!
  • Stay with the pack. In any type of fighter, you need to stay in/very near the pack to get any support. It's easy to stray while chasing, but you have to maintain situational awareness.
  • Situational Awareness comes with experience. Know where you are, what's around you, the status of the supremacy bar, where your team is, and where the enemy is. Try not to lose track of any of it during a battle.
  • Altitude is life. With the exception of Attack Aircraft (often referred to as GAs - ground attack), starting at the top of the green band or a bit above it will give you a better chance to pounce on your prey.
  • Learn energy management. Poor energy management leads to you stuck near the ground in a fighter with no momentum or boost to improve your situation. Keep your speed up and try to save boost for escaping.
  • Don't fight over red. New players are eager to rush out into battle not paying attention to where they are on the map. Enemy AA (anti-aircraft guns) will kill you! Draw the enemy to green and let your AA help.
  • Bombs don't spoil. Don't load bombs planning to hurry up and drop them, then fight planes. You will likely die before you reach a target of value or you'll lose a ton of energy and end up low and vulnerable.
  • Don't let yourself get angry. If you do, walk away for a bit. An angry pilot makes more mistakes and just gets angrier.
  • Watch others after you die. Use the spectate option rather than going back to the hangar. Learn from both the successes and failures of others. See what they are doing differently that has them still alive.
  • Have fun. It's a game. If it becomes a source of nothing but frustration, then you're doing it wrong.

Good Luck!

:honoring:

Edited by Zapperguy, 27 April 2017 - 09:21 PM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Mackunaima #22 Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostRocket_Hacker, on 15 August 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

I want to improve my skills in fighters. Yea kills as well but i die too easily while engaging 4 or 5 bots. 

Sorry dude, but you can't improve valuable skills playing against bots. It is a way different playing against decent or good human players.

At this time I would say you can't improve your skills to fight good humans players just will improve your ACM and sight, I mean just the basics things.

Maybe you could join a clan and motivate them to train. I heard DRACS is doing something like that, maybe WS is doing it too.

Regards,

Mack

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Noreaga #23 Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

in all honesty you should die when facing 4 to 1 odds, air combat is as much about not getting into that situation as it is being uber skilled. 

this thread should help a little, lots of great reading on line if you google ACM's and A2A combat. Real life concepts can work here you just need to adapt them arcade.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/20055-advanced-air-combat-maneuvering-books-that-will-help-you-play/

Edited by Noreaga, 15 August 2016 - 03:38 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

MrE #24 Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 7397 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I suggest a flight with a more experiencedetailed pilot, I learned a lot by doing so. Secondly watch the video tutorial on the wowp site, youtube and forum, you can pick up a lot of tips this way

pyantoryng #25 Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12388 battles
First thing first, just keep playing and familiarize yourself with how your controls work and tune them as necessary...you'll need them when you go do things like the so-called TnB or BnZ and even shooting ground targets effectively.

i.e. get more games (and thus experience in handling planes) under your belt first.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Elias_Sims #26 Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Senior Airman

• 316 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Rocket:  I'd seriously follow the advice you've already received in this thread. losttwo and zapper's posts are worth copying and saving; especially the links and I'm bookmarking this thread to refer to from time to time myself as there is some 1st rate advice being given here.  If anything I say below contradicts something said by losttwo, zapper and others, go with their advice over mine as they are the better players period. 

You and I have similar numbers of games played but different results.  I'm looking at your profile and seeing some averages that don't make sense considering the plane selection you've used so far.  

You've 28 games of 82 total in GA aircraft but many, if not most, of your single engine fighters have more damage done to ground targets than I would expect... 

A few things I've learned from that other game and now time here learning from S-S-G clanmates and others like Zapper and Mac to name a few:

Don't attach bombs to the single engine fighters/multi role aircraft.  Some folks are good with rockets and use them for air to air. I'm not and so I leave them off my fighters also. 

Don't go ground pounding from the jump with the single engine fighters or multi roles. Chasing ground targets at the end to pile up points when the last enemy planes are far away can help you win but doing so from match start will almost always mean you are going to be used as bait by even your own bots...

Getting better in fighters means using fighter advantages like altitude, speed and positioning.  At ground level, strafing and bombing and likely way out in front doing so are all the wrong places and positions to be in while flying fighters and multi role aircraft.

To start with gain altitude and turn to the side while climbing (use boost if advised to do so, I do use it at match start) Let the bots lead in and spot the other team for you before committing to a course of action or attack. If flighted up with a clanmate or other person, never never never leave your wingman. 

I do like to climb towards the sun at match start if its to the side and allows me to come in behind and above our bots.  Speaking of, use your bots. Hotkey the "clear my tail" and most importantly the "coordinated attack" buttons so you can somewhat direct your bots to focus on the red team humans or have them help you out of a jam. 

sidenote: in very limited games you've done you're best aerial combat in the AR65.  That bears notice imho as that line's style fits the above advice I've given.  

Good luck and good flying.

losttwo #27 Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostElias_Sims, on 15 August 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Rocket:  I'd seriously follow the advice you've already received in this thread......

sniped for brevity.................

Good luck and good flying.

Good investigative work + 1

SkywhaleExpress #28 Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Ask Texthor to teach you. He's the best player in the game.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

mnbv_fockewulfe #29 Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4515 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSkywhaleExpress, on 15 August 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Ask Texthor to teach you. He's the best player in the game.

You can't fix troll. :rolleyes:

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Noreaga #30 Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Can we sticky this thread? lots of really good advice above and some links i will be using again.

Got me thinking, and decided to brush up. here are my links looking for the manuals i had on archive, ill get them up asap. 

BFM's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

ACM's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_combat_manoeuvring

bfm & acm goes really really indepth. a little new, but basics of it are the same.

http://www.jg-51.com/topsecret/Fighter_Combat-Tactics_and_Maneuvering.pdf

1950-60's training videos are a gold mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvDz4MrYXNc

Annoyed comment of the post: Everyone notice how most of the video is about team action? boo flights

A little new, but some of the concepts are the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFxFlHSQ8Y

if you really want to get good there is always this

https://www.cubic.com/Air-Combat-Training

hope that helps. 

Edited by Noreaga, 15 August 2016 - 11:13 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

V_A_C_A #31 Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Senior Airman

• 514 battles
Well... I just started playing WoWP, and still trying to figure some tips and tricks.
I'm a WoT player (2D combat), and I know that a 3D combat environment (like WoWP) is real hard for situational awareness. I have radar and map on, but what I really want to know is if WoWP can run in Virtual Reality goggles/glasses.

Another question: There's some way to make the red player's name appearing above the target?
That's because we can see that a player is performing well, and he's the main danger, and I would try to (as situational awareness) avoid his fire and engage him (and not bots). Yeah, I know I'm a noob doing a noob question, but I want to improve. :unsure:

Zapperguy #32 Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34115 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostV_A_C_A, on 20 December 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Well... I just started playing WoWP, and still trying to figure some tips and tricks.
I'm a WoT player (2D combat), and I know that a 3D combat environment (like WoWP) is real hard for situational awareness. I have radar and map on, but what I really want to know is if WoWP can run in Virtual Reality goggles/glasses.

Another question: There's some way to make the red player's name appearing above the target?
That's because we can see that a player is performing well, and he's the main danger, and I would try to (as situational awareness) avoid his fire and engage him (and not bots). Yeah, I know I'm a noob doing a noob question, but I want to improve. :unsure:

To my knowledge there is no support for VR goggles, nor any plan for them in the future. There is no way to flag a good player using stock settings. If you want to use a mod that shows a numeric rating for human players and N (Newbie), S (Standard), or V (Veteran) for bots, then look here: Hryunomod

The Hryunomod is helpful, but don't put too much credence in the ratings. A better-rated player than you could have padded their stats by learning to fly, while flighted with a vet at low tiers winning nearly every battle. Don't let the ratings convince you that you can't possibly win before the battle starts. Good players lose too. Nobody is invincible.

I'm quoting myself because this info is very important to understand if you want to be successful.

View PostZapperguy, on 15 August 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

This game typically takes 200 battles to not s*ck. You should try flighting with one of your clanmates and using comms such as TeamSpeak. Real-time verbal advice/instruction is invaluable to a new player.

Here are some very basic tips:

• Learn the 4 plane types - Fighter, Multirole Fighter, Heavy Fighter, & Attack Aircraft. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses not only when you fly them, but when you face them.
  • Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better plane will make the difference. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Take it slow and develop your skills. You'll need them at higher tiers.
  • Don't be first. First to red is usually first dead. If you lead the pack the enemy will see you first and you will have several planes attacking you at once. Hang back in the pack!!!
  • Stay with the pack. In any type of fighter, you need to stay in/very near the pack to get any support. It's easy to stray while chasing, but you have to maintain situational awareness.
  • Situational Awareness comes with experience. Know where you are, what's around you, the status of the supremacy bar, where your team is, and where the enemy is. Try not to lose track of any of it during a battle.
  • Altitude is life. With the exception of Attack Aircraft (often referred to as GAs - ground attack), starting at the top of the green band or a bit above it will give you a better chance to pounce on your prey.
  • Learn energy management. Poor energy management leads to you stuck near the ground in a fighter with no momentum or boost to improve your situation. Keep your speed up and try to save boost for escaping.
  • Don't fight over red. New players are eager to rush out into battle not paying attention to where they are on the map. Enemy AA (anti-aircraft guns) will kill you! Draw then enemy to green and let your AA help.
  • Bombs don't spoil. Don't load bombs planning to hurry up and drop them, then fight planes. You will likely die before you reach a target of value or you'll lose a ton of energy and end up low and vulnerable.
  • Don't let yourself get angry. If you do, walk away for a bit. An angry pilot makes more mistakes and just gets angrier.
  • Watch others after you die. Use the spectate option rather than going back to the hangar. Learn from both the successes and failures of others. See what they are doing differently that has them still alive.
  • Have fun. It's a game. If it becomes a source of nothing but frustration, then you're doing it wrong.

Good Luck!

:honoring:

Edited by Zapperguy, 20 December 2016 - 01:23 PM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

V_A_C_A #33 Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Senior Airman

• 514 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 20 December 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

To my knowledge there is no support for VR goggles, nor any plan for them in the future. There is no way to flag a good player using stock settings. If you want to use a mod that shows a numeric rating for human players and N (Newbie), S (Standard), or V (Veteran) for bots, then look here: Hryunomod

The Hryunomod is helpful, but don't put too much credence in the ratings. A better-rated player than you could have padded their stats by learning to fly, while flighted with a vet at low tiers winning nearly every battle. Don't let the ratings convince you that you can't possibly win before the battle starts. Good players lose too. Nobody is invincible.

I'm quoting myself because this info is very important to understand if you want to be successful.

Thanks a lot for all the infos and for the quick and rich answer!!! :honoring:

Noreaga #34 Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostV_A_C_A, on 20 December 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Welcome VACA,

Looks like you are doing well, zapper is right takes longer here to feel like you are contributing than in WOT. You can change the tags for red green and yellow players in the settings, i also suggest adding artificial horizon to your HUD. I don't use hyryo mod thing, but that is because i treat everyone like they are elite until dead.

sounds oversimplified but:

1. keep fast and high (altitude is unused speed and speed is life)
  2. wait 50-60m after you think you should shoot, can mean the difference  between 50% damage and a kill.
  3. don't play fair, the best way to win is to shoot them when they are looking the other way or bring a friend to the fight to make it 2 vs 1.
  4. the practice rooms can be your friend, being weird i played 200 4 vs 1 bot matches before ever entering a public game so i at least had shooting down.

id suggest flighting up with any of the great vets here, a few things can only really be shown in the air.

hope you enjoy the game as much as i did when i first started!

Nimis obnoxii curare

V_A_C_A #35 Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

Senior Airman

• 514 battles

View PostNoreaga, on 20 December 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

Welcome VACA,

Looks like you are doing well, zapper is right takes longer here to feel like you are contributing than in WOT. You can change the tags for red green and yellow players in the settings, i also suggest adding artificial horizon to your HUD. I don't use hyryo mod thing, but that is because i treat everyone like they are elite until dead.

sounds oversimplified but:

1. keep fast and high (altitude is unused speed and speed is life)
  2. wait 50-60m after you think you should shoot, can mean the difference  between 50% damage and a kill.
  3. don't play fair, the best way to win is to shoot them when they are looking the other way or bring a friend to the fight to make it 2 vs 1.
  4. the practice rooms can be your friend, being weird i played 200 4 vs 1 bot matches before ever entering a public game so i at least had shooting down.

id suggest flighting up with any of the great vets here, a few things can only really be shown in the air.

hope you enjoy the game as much as i did when i first started!

Thank you for all the infos, Noreaga!
I'll check how to change the tags of players on settings.
About the artificial horizon, as I try to cross check everything (including altitude), and I didn't entered in any IFR arena (at least yet - there's such a thing here in WoWP?), by now I still keep without artificial horizon.

I'm an aviation enthusiast, so I've read a lot about WWII warplanes, fighters (Yeah... Clostermann, Udet, Galland, Udet, Georges Blond and lots of other fighter pilots are "common names" for me).

About the list:
1) Keep the energy. Got it.
2) As I just started playing, my crew normally isn't 100% trained, and the planes aren't fully upgraded. My hitratio isn't "good", but I'm still learning...
3) Also on WoT, normally I'm a lone wolf, but I know that a pack can overwhelm me... Well, I'm dealing with the problems as they appear.
4) Ok... Noob here... Practice room? 4v1? I'll search where I can find it.

Again: thanks for all the informations!!! :honoring:

pyantoryng #36 Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12388 battles

View PostV_A_C_A, on 21 December 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Thank you for all the infos, Noreaga!
I'll check how to change the tags of players on settings.
About the artificial horizon, as I try to cross check everything (including altitude), and I didn't entered in any IFR arena (at least yet - there's such a thing here in WoWP?), by now I still keep without artificial horizon.

I'm an aviation enthusiast, so I've read a lot about WWII warplanes, fighters (Yeah... Clostermann, Udet, Galland, Udet, Georges Blond and lots of other fighter pilots are "common names" for me).

About the list:
1) Keep the energy. Got it.
2) As I just started playing, my crew normally isn't 100% trained, and the planes aren't fully upgraded. My hitratio isn't "good", but I'm still learning...
3) Also on WoT, normally I'm a lone wolf, but I know that a pack can overwhelm me... Well, I'm dealing with the problems as they appear.
4) Ok... Noob here... Practice room? 4v1? I'll search where I can find it.

Again: thanks for all the informations!!! :honoring:

While keeping your energy is good and all, above all render assistance to your team where you can...

There's no such thing as instrument flight in Planes, you just point your planes where it needs to and shoot at enemies...it is that simplified. The only parts of the instrument you need to worry about is optimal range (green areas) of airspeed and altitude...and I suggest you enable the angle indicator (forgot what exactly it is, but it's the thing that let you know the degree you are climbing or diving, never found it myself until two years in).

New player's crews are not trained to 100%? Aren't new players get a default set of pilots that were trained to 100% to start with? If you happen to have any 100% guys to start with don't retrain them until tier 4 or so, as retraining from 90% to 100% takes 10k EXP, you won't stick around for long in tier 1 thru 3, and the EXP gain is horrible in the long term (you can get a 10-kill Gabreski [medal] wipeout and get only 1.1k EXP base in tier 1, for example).

If not...just endure those untrained guys for a bit, and train them with silver where you can (Again, I suggest tier 4 where you would be staying for a while trying to reach tier 5).

As for the hit rates, don't worry about it too much at low tier where there are only machine guns for the most part. You'll get to familiarize yourself with more variety of weapons as tier go up, which would take some transition.

Training room is in the drop-down list where it says "random battle" in the lower part of the hangar, above the carousel. Once you choose it, setting it up should be intuitive. You pay for ammo (anything that is not standard) and consumables, so be sure to take them off if you are using them but repairs are free.

Speaking of paying, if you find yourself strapped for silver just run standard ammo, as it's free all the way from 7.62mm to 57mm, cuts a significant amount of resupply bill and let you profit where you would not otherwise...or lessen your losses.

Planes is the hardest to learn out of the trilogy but its fast, coverless, constantly moving nature sets it apart from the much slower Tanks and Ships. If you can learn Planes you might find yourself using it to supply Tanks and Ships of premium time later on. Good luck!

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Noreaga #37 Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

to explain why artificial horizon and all that other HUD stuff. 

i found that knowing your angle of climb and attack helped me conserve energy, and stay alive longer. i also would shoot in zoomed mode, without showing the plane so i like to see the AH to make sure im lined up properly for the next series of attacks if i miss.

not imperative at all, but i suggest it.

Nimis obnoxii curare

Snoticus #38 Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2158 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostRocket_Hacker, on 15 August 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

Heard enough of lopsided bots, bot stalling in heavies.

Now what should I do to really improve my skills.

Tier 2 is watered down i heard but never mind, I just wanna improve. any ideas? 

do what I did, get a tier 3 tsh-3 and learn how to survive a battle, then start working on the rest. 
tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

DInk_Spinkley #39 Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10993 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Go back to tier 2.

That's not an insult, though everyone seems to think it is. Go back to tier 2 and take your time learning how to turn, climb , sim and all that good stuff. 

Leveling too fast is the most common mistake in the game.

My wife said if I can make money playing video games, she'd leave me alone, so....

GeorgePatton #40 Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostDInk_Spinkley, on 21 December 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Go back to tier 2.

That's not an insult, though everyone seems to think it is. Go back to tier 2 and take your time learning how to turn, climb , sim and all that good stuff. 

Leveling too fast is the most common mistake in the game.

IMO the game changes completely at tier 4 and tier 8, but learning the basics of maneuvering in a 3 dimensional arena is still useful at the lower tiers. You don't truly start learning the principles of energy management, etc until tier 4 and even then it's not as effective as it becomes at tier 6.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users