Finally Got a T9, any tips?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #1 Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:13 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Howdy, just got my first T9: Me P. 1092. Was wondering if there were any tips for it. I found T5->T6 and T7->T8 to be huge jumps in skill, so didn't know if this would be similar. Rather low on planes: I was teching out of them and selling them to afford a T9. 

Also, a question. Is it possible to make money in or is it a money pit?

And supplementary, what is the optimal upgrade path? I like the look of it, and fighting it. Small, so harder to hit. Quad 20's instead of 30's. Good turn, really good from what I've seen, but I still need 100k for retraining (don't think I will run Universal ammo... so pricey!) so I wanted to see if there is any advice for it before going in.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #2 Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Well. That was bloody. 10 battles. One win. 5 kills. Not liking T IX. Not liking fighting X's again, and definetely just not liking the atmosphere. That rapidly burned me out. I will likely be back for IJA but until then, likely only on the forums. Maybe will play a little to grind some silver, considering I am silver broke.

So little HP. So little Daka unless close. So not the 209 I loved. 

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Dave12w #3 Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21056 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

I've had some really good games in mine, lots of

aces and a couple of 7 kill matches.  It's not a front

line fighter, you want to be just behind the leading 

bot, so you take no damage but do damage at the start,

The top gun is quite powerful and can take out heavies 

and other planes with ease, it's high altitude so use that to

your advantage and if you see a vulnerable easy kill switch

targets and go for it first .  It's not the easiest tier 9, their the

Mind numbing heavies, but it's lots of fun.  The best tier 9's overall

i think is the f6u, attacker and f-94d, you would find those three much

more user friendly

RedSpartacus #4 Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17493 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

As Dave said, you need altitude, altitude and what's better than altitude ? more altitude to begin with.

Then you need to keep your speed and the big guns.

RUN WITH THE PACK

dityboycom #5 Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

Colonel

• 10175 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
You probably picked the worst T9 light fighter to unlock first; so, that's probably a major problem for you right there.

WOW

AmeleeofAirparts_ #6 Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21192 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 08 August 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Well. That was bloody. 10 battles. One win. 5 kills. Not liking T IX. Not liking fighting X's again, and definetely just not liking the atmosphere. That rapidly burned me out. I will likely be back for IJA but until then, likely only on the forums. Maybe will play a little to grind some silver, considering I am silver broke.

So little HP. So little Daka unless close. So not the 209 I loved. 

You'll get used to it, moving up to a new tier is always a bit rough to start out with.  As you play there more you get familiar with how the aircraft perform in comparison to your own, and learn how to counter them.  It takes some time, though it does help to have more than one aircraft at that tier to get used to.

Please apply dirt, rocks and trees to your aircraft sparingly.

I have this theory that loudly ticking clocks can be wound with massive blunt objects.  By striking the clock with great force the energy would transfer into the gears, not unlike winding it.   I plan on testing this someday.

Mackunaima #7 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View Postdityboycom, on 08 August 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

You probably picked the worst T9 light fighter to unlock first; so, that's probably a major problem for you right there.

Nah..

It's not that bad.. In fact it is the worst tier 9, but its not bad, just has a bunch of limitations.. lol

It was a really great plane but now it is not for "learning time". You really need to know what your are doing.

Just about this plane:
- This plane has a good energy conservation when you are high, but not so high. Something between 3K and 4K meters.
- You really can't climb high on large paces. So climb untill ALMOST finish your boost, wait while you can recover a good speed and climb a bit more. Don't try to climb like a dumb kite.
- Even within engine tunning and bot engine skills you cant climb really high and man I can make even J7 go till 4k meters before first engagement. So, really don't go out of boost, hold a bit of it.
- Guns can really hit far, really far. You can hurt over 800 meters, but will be better shot under 400 meters. So use this like an HF, stay fast, get close shot untill overheat (and this really happens fast).
- Again, guns really overheat fast, so fast you can't afford "missing shots". You really need to have good accuracy.
- Use silver amo.
- Try to stay over 650Km/h always. I use this plane like an HF Hunter.
- You need to learn how to dodge fire just rolling without turning fight on this plane.

A similar plane to train for 1092 is 209v on tier 5 but don't get used to long boost.

When was grinding this plane ( looks like I was missing my shots due client side and high ping):

Regards,
Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 08 August 2016 - 02:01 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Noreaga #8 Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
She slow, and not that maneuverable anymore, but the upgraded guns pack a punch. Still having trouble adapting to it since the change, was almost 80% in it solo now dropping to the low 70's. the boys got it right above, it won't be an easy thing to play, but once you get the hang of it moving to something like the attacker will be a dream.

Nimis obnoxii curare

Psicko23 #9 Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19054 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I thought t8 to t9 was the biggest jump in skill. The guns over heat fast but they also cool down fast. Pulse fire the trigger and get close. That bird takes some practice. It was also my first t9 and it took me awhile to get good at it. I don't think the stats are the best in any category, but it also doesn't have the worst stats.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #10 Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Thank you all for the advice. My apologies for the outburst, I was playing til my first win and I was getting... very angry. Lost because a bot crashed twice. Was not in a good mood at all. Now that it's morning, and I've gone to work, my head is cool.

Again, thank y'all for the advice, and for the video Mack. I will do my best. My goal is to eventually make her work for me.

Mackunaima #11 Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 08 August 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Thank you all for the advice. My apologies for the outburst, I was playing til my first win and I was getting... very angry. Lost because a bot crashed twice. Was not in a good mood at all. Now that it's morning, and I've gone to work, my head is cool.

Again, thank y'all for the advice, and for the video Mack. I will do my best. My goal is to eventually make her work for me.

:great:

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

pyantoryng #12 Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12388 battles

Life in the jet tier certainly is not an easy one...never had been even in the days when most tier 9 were IL-40s...hell, a good chunk of my J7W3 experience points came from me farming on another J7W2 player who plays poorer than me back then (BTW, my first T9 was J7W2, IL-40 was second, 228 was third, and the Huckebein would mark my fourth; our starting points are vastly different and I don't think I can offer very much insight in your case).

Those 20mms sure are crap though...it's the same MG 151 you had been using for the last three-four tiers. In some cases it may be wiser to just get new guns before motors so you can at least start to kill things and get EXP for other stuff (At least, this is the case with Ta 152 one tier earlier, I went motors first and those MG 151 just didn't do jack)...German planes seem to have this problem of using (vastly) outdated weaponry on a very powerful chassis at stock in the jet tier. In any case, you just have to think about it, observe your performance, and go for what you think it is best.

Give it some time and don't give up, and you might be able to adjust to life in jet tier, and reap benefits from it (including being able to farm lots of damage when you need them because of 2000hp IL-40 and other beefy planes that you can vaporize up there).

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

honorabili #13 Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 16118 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Here's how I play mine, maybe this will help you o7:

Nvfx #14 Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21572 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Jets are a whole different game, you have to understand the fundamentals (distance, when to turn, when to run) to excel in 9X.

I personally find the 1092 quite squishy, but it's a strong plane if you can get unnoticed shots from unseen angles:

Don't chase Heavies (you will just waste time because your plane is quite slow, unless you have dive and/or speed over the target)

Don't head on (you have no health, unless it's a FJ-1, you should either get behind or stall the target enemy aircraft, given that they have noticed you)

Make use of altitude advantage. (Even though it's slow, it can build up the energy, so given enough time it could eventually climb up to great heights.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #15 Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:17 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I've observed and keep trying to do better. Still. It's stock, I'm doing somewhat better on wins but playing it is about as fun as smashing my head into a brick wall. I will only play it for x3 and when I know I will get the +2k xp. I literally have nothing good to say about it. Squishy as hell, out turned out ran out gunned out climbed. 

I do appreciate the advice, but at this rate, 20 battles in. It will probably be the first plane I sell without researching the next one. Besides the Yak-1M, which I sold because I was doing so WELL not so bad. Hopefully the next guns will make it better.

Edit- Got the guns. Just threw away 6k free xp. I had a game where with 2 bots I was dueling with 2 WHAWKs. Managed ot kill one and do 90% on another.

My god. WIth the guns it went from feeling like t TIE fighter to a TIE Interceptor. Love it now. Granted, only one battle. Still stock engines and airframe, and the one battle was in training room seeing how the guns were. But much more happy.

Edited by Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, 28 August 2016 - 04:13 AM.

Psicko23 #16 Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19054 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

The plane sucks stock. I enjoy it now that it is fully upgraded. The grind does suck though. The top gun does good damage. It overheats quickly but also cools down quickly. In my opinion, it plays much differently than the 209 and other planes in that line(other than it being a jet).

pyantoryng #17 Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12388 battles

So you got your tier 10 guns. Those tier 10 guns makes everything worth it on pretty much any T9...keep at it and see how far can it take you.

...and if you don't want your tier 9 to be a moneysink, run free ammo and no consumables...you'll at least break even with a couple hundred damage, and if you win big, there will be one or two less thing to cut into your profits.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Psicko23 #18 Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19054 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I use standard ammo on all my planes except t4 premium and below planes that don't have a lot of fire power. 

The 1092 is a change in the German lf line compared to most of the previous planes in that line. It took me awhile to get the hang of it. It's not as fast and high flying compared to the rest of the field. You will need more than 20 games mostly stock to get a feel for the plane and playing in the jet tiers.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #19 Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:10 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

More than 6 months later, but wanted to let y'all know I've stuck with it, taken your advice, and I believe myself to have really improved. X3 weekend+X3 Anniversary allows for really crazy stuff. The upgraded guns and fram also help a ton.

Spoiler

Psicko23 #20 Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19054 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Nicely done. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users