I'm having trouble with the Bf 109 G

Bf 109G winrate dofighting mnbv_fockewulfe stats aim

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mnbv_fockewulfe #1 Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

First off, I want to say I have a weird relationship with this plane. My w/r was something like 70-75% (I'm not really sure why it was that good) until today where I had a losing streak in the plane trying to get an anniversary mission. The Bf 109G has good altitude performance, speed, more than adequate turn time for a BnZ. The most frustrating thing about the plane for me are the guns. The machine guns and 20mm are weaksauce and the 30mm is the epitome of RNG and is only good for zero deflection shots at less than 100m. Now on to my trouble today. I'm not sure how to find my stats from today but I almost only played the 109 today for about ten/fifteen battles and I must have lost about 90% of them, though I survived more than half of them. I can only recall two wins the entire day. Make no mistake I'm not complaining (well...) I'm trying to find out how to get better by asking for advice.

Allow me to illustrate a few battles for you (I may upload some videos because these were very interesting).

I got into a full 15v15 battle with about 6-8 humans per team, T7-T8. Enemy humans composed of a flight, a Lexi, and some competent GAA players. I start off with some friendly banter (feeling cocky, they have a Lexi). Then calamity! One of my teams human GAA crashes by mistake (the Lexi may have crashed by this time too). I'm starting to get nervous as we haven't made contact yet and I know the enemy GAA is going to hunt our only Human GAA left. Hostile GAA are detected. I decide to make a dive for it to try and take those GAA out when I detect the human flight on the deck. I get distracted for a bit and then get a Human JW71 on my tail. I rolling scissors until he loses interest in me and I remember the GAA and I head for them. The guy flying the IL turnfights like a fighter (alright, you deserve a shout-out it's brossell) and I am unable to secure the kill as my team gets wiped out at low altitude. I capitulate and we lose the game. 

Scenario 2. Another good sized battle with all T7 aircraft. For the sake of brevity, we make first contact and I have a  disconnect. Luckily, the game decided I should climb up and away for the main battle so I am surprised that I reconnect without a scratch. I head back towards the battles which are now taking place in three different places on the map. We are losing badly. I am able to team up with a human Bf 109Z and we fly together pretty handily. Together, we BnZ a human La-7 at high altitude and I was able to clear his tail of a F7F. Their are still pockets of resistance in different places on the map when I'm too far away to give the 109Z cover and he is shot down. I decide to bug out when I get the horrifying message,"You are the last hope". A few seconds later and the enemy team wins by superiority. 

Point in case, I don't know how to use the guns right to get any kills despite the ability to manage my energy well and competence in dogfighting. All of today the battles just felt out of my control and without a feeling of my significant impact.

How do you know when to go for GAA in the beginning of a match and when not to? How do you aim with the 30mm? How do you turn the tide when the odds are against you?       

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

pyantoryng #2 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:33 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

You are too lightly armed to even go after GA in most cases, so just don't bother.

Although, being extremely lightly armed at tier 7 was exactly the reason why I abandoned the 109G to begin with...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

GeorgePatton #3 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:38 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 101 battles

The 109G is a good plane, just keep it high and BnZ. Don't get sucked into a turn fight, you'll lose every time.

If you're using the lead-point indicator on this aircraft you need to be careful. Your 30mm cannons have a much slower muzzle velocity than the smaller guns and so the lead-point indicator will be very inaccurate. I'm not sure if it just indicators for 'group 1' weapons, or if it averages between them (which would offset BOTH groups) but try setting a button/key for group 2 weapons (your 30mm, unless you have 3 groups?) and ONLY firing the 30mm cannon to see where the bullets go. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to stop using the lead-point indicator with my J8M which fires about 1 round per second for 5 seconds before overheating. I think the 109G is in the same boat with the 30mm cannons. At the very least, the bullet speeds are similar, which means aiming will be similar. The lead-point also doesn't compensate well for roll/yaw in a plan'es flight path which means it can often get you to aim in the wrong spot. Maybe try turning the lead-point off if you haven't already. I found it makes me aim more carefully and I generally get more hits.

Cheers!
Glenn

Edited by GeorgePatton, 08 August 2016 - 02:43 AM.

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

pyantoryng #4 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 08 August 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

The 109G is a good plane, just keep it high and BnZ. Don't get sucked into a turn fight, you'll lose every time.

If you're using the lead-point indicator on this aircraft you need to be careful. Your 30mm cannons have a much slower muzzle velocity than the smaller guns and so the lead-point indicator will be very inaccurate. I'm not sure if it just indicators for 'group 1' weapons, or if it averages between them (which would offset BOTH groups) but try setting a button/key for group 2 weapons (your 30mm, unless you have 3 groups?) and ONLY firing the 30mm cannon to see where the bullets go. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to stop using the lead-point indicator with my J8M which fires about 1 round per second for 5 seconds before overheating. I think the 109G is in the same boat with the 30mm cannons. At the very least, the bullet speeds are similar, which means aiming will be similar. The lead-point also doesn't compensate well for roll/yaw in a plan'es flight path which means it can often get you to aim in the wrong spot. Maybe try turning the lead-point off if you haven't already. I found it makes me aim more carefully and I generally get more hits.

Cheers!
Glenn

Aren't muzzle velocity unified nowadays? While may not be very fast, it's certainly faster than it used to be.

...and 109G doesn't use gondolas anymore, so it's not possible to have 3 groups (MG, one caliber on hub and other caliber on gondolas).

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Psicko23 #5 Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The 109g was the one in the series that I was the worst in. 

Lt_Haruhi_Suzumiya #6 Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 839 battles

I think 109G Gustav 'was' good but update 1.9 killed her

30mm MK-108(1942) is still good gun but it don't have accuracy, so hitting it is hard as hell.  It reminds me Soviet D-25T in World of tanks. It never hits while I am moving fast.
but if you use 20mm MG-151/20(1941)..  109G became Tier 7 version of 109F, Lacks of Firepower for Tier 7 :[

uh, noob myself aim the 30mm on leading circle and Wishing my luck to miss Fortuna(Goddess of Fortune).
and I don't aim the GAA until almost all of enemy fighters(Fighter,Multi-role and heavy) are crashed or shot down.  I think dealing with GAA is way too risky Let our GAA or J7W1 to dealt with her.

Edited by Lt_Haruhi_Suzumiya, 08 August 2016 - 05:15 AM.

I guess, This pilot is worst teammate when you are on match, *Facepalm

Former 2.0 stat.
7155 matches,  53.12% win rate, Hall of fame 772.

Member Title : Senior Master Sergeant

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #7 Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 15 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

It's a good plane. But it's difficult to learn. You will be fighting some jets, it is not for the light of heart.

Personally, I was rushing the line. I never upgraded to the K frame, and never upgraded the engines. I found 2x 13mms and 1x 20mm to be more reliable, but the 30mm could lead to spectacular games which the 20 could not- basically, 30 is a gamble than can or can not pay off. Don't waste HP or altitude on GAs. Even with a 30mm it takes to much time and HP to knock em out.

Stay high. YOu can turnfight somewhat up high. Yaks, Zeros, LAs down low will slaughter you in a turnfight.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

mnbv_fockewulfe #8 Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Thanks guys for the much appreciated advice. :honoring:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Snoticus #9 Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF
while i cant give near the help that these guys gave....i did find this...its got your plane in the listing i believe...it may shed some light on its use and whatnot..     https://youtu.be/y_t...jpHkQ_OVrsCtSEg
tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Also tagged with Bf 109G, winrate, dofighting, mnbv_fockewulfe, stats, aim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users