Mouse input delays & jittering reticle using triple buffering on video card

mouse latency tracking trigger triple buffering buffering nVidia reticle

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Caecias #1 Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Lately I have noticed delays on triggering and tracking with my mouse in game.

There is nothing wrong with the mouse; its relatively new, tested against other games where these issues do not persist, general use in the OS and other apps, and diagnostic software.

Its a SteelSeries RAW mouse - highly accurate and durable, in game there is a very noticeable latency while pressing the trigger and its effect on screen; same with back tracking across screen... making targeting jittery while firing.

Initially when pressing the trigger, there is a very noticeable delay... but that diminishes with short bursts at times and shows up less frequent.  Until of course I fire from a cold extended pause of not firing.

Tracking is pretty much slightly bouncy until I fire... and then it nearly impossible to stick to target..  planes that were quite smooth with tracking while firing are noticeably hitched... not so smooth planes are now exaggerated greatly. 

Its became apparent across the past two patches 1.9.5.3 & 1.9.5.4.  No Mods.  Default settings.

(Win 10 Pro; latest SteelSeries Engine drivers...)

Can someone chime in here?

(Please see edit of my issue in posts below)

Edited by Caecias, 25 August 2016 - 01:55 AM.

GeorgePatton #2 Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1508 battles

I've noticed some refusal to accept input from my SCIMITAR RGB as well. No issues with the OS, Adobe CC, or other games.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Psicko23 #3 Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24 battles

I don't know about the mouse, but I've noticed an increase of ping over the last few patches. I used to be around 90-120ish max. Now it's not uncommon to look at my ping and see 180 or so. When my ping is up I notice a bit of delays too.

Caecias #4 Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostGeorgePatton, on 05 August 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

I've noticed some refusal to accept input from my SCIMITAR RGB as well. No issues with the OS, Adobe CC, or other games.

Cheers!
Glenn

Thanks for confirmation - I think we are seeing the introduction of a nasty issue.

View PostPsicko23, on 05 August 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

I don't know about the mouse, but I've noticed an increase of ping over the last few patches. I used to be around 90-120ish max. Now it's not uncommon to look at my ping and see 180 or so. When my ping is up I notice a bit of delays too.

Ping has been fine with me; I have also been able to tune my graphics card as well with triple buffering...  and improve FPS stability (less hit in the clouds).

But this triggering issue and related tracking subtleties is prominent.

EDIT:  its the buffering causing the issue. I adjusted the setting on my video card at around the same time of these updates early Thursday morning; and while it improved / stabilized overall FPS performance, my mouse firing and tracking was trounced.  I have an EVGA nVidia card; I decided to use the Triple Buffering feature (it allows extra frames to be rendered in anticipation of quick movements).  This actually helped overall FPS remain stable between the 61 (v-synced limit) and about 50 fps second in tough spots on maps.  The trade off was a bouncy reticle and a firing latency that was unbearable.

This in-and-of-itself raises and additional issue... is the game suitable to use with buffered frame rendering? It does help in some respects, but in others, it seems to cripple input from my mouse.

Edited by Caecias, 06 August 2016 - 07:38 AM.

TeamTerrible #5 Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• 230 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaecias, on 05 August 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

Lately I have noticed delays on triggering and tracking with my mouse in game.

There is nothing wrong with the mouse; its relatively new, tested against other games where these issues do not persist, general use in the OS and other apps, and diagnostic software.

Its a SteelSeries RAW mouse - highly accurate and durable, in game there is a very noticeable latency while pressing the trigger and its effect on screen; same with back tracking across screen... making targeting jittery while firing.

Initially when pressing the trigger, there is a very noticeable delay... but that diminishes with short bursts at times and shows up less frequent.  Until of course I fire from a cold extended pause of not firing.

Tracking is pretty much slightly bouncy until I fire... and then it nearly impossible to stick to target..  planes that were quite smooth with tracking while firing are noticeably hitched... not so smooth planes are now exaggerated greatly. 

Its become apparent across the past two patches 1.9.5.3 & 1.9.5.4.  No Mods.  Default settings.

(Win 10 Pro; latest SteelSeries Engine drivers...)

Can someone chime in here?

(Please see edit of my issue in posts below)

A wireless mouse and keyboard could trigger this....try running a wired keyboard and mouse and see if it resolves it

Or move your usb ports as my flightstick and throttle are particular to certain ones, generally opposite of each other

Go figure only on this game do i run into such problems....need a WG customer service pc

Caecias #6 Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostTeamTerrible, on 06 August 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

A wireless mouse and keyboard could trigger this....try running a wired keyboard and mouse and see if it resolves it

Or move your usb ports as my flightstick and throttle are particular to certain ones, generally opposite of each other

Go figure only on this game do i run into such problems....need a WG customer service pc

Its wired. 

Problem related to video buffering- as soon as I turned off the buffering, it all went away. 

Strange indeed.  

Edited by Caecias, 06 August 2016 - 07:36 AM.

Bobby_Tables #7 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6931 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostGeorgePatton, on 05 August 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

I've noticed some refusal to accept input from my SCIMITAR RGB as well.

Cheers!
Glenn

You know to me, this forum is not an appropriate place to discuss personal issues. 

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 08 August 2016 - 02:08 AM.

dityboycom #8 Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostCaecias, on 06 August 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Its wired. 

Problem related to video buffering- as soon as I turned off the buffering, it all went away. 

Strange indeed.  

If you're experiencing delay, think about what the word buffering means. It's not that strange at all. Glad to hear you figured out your issue, thanks for not deleting it like everyone else does so someone else can find use of this thread in the future.

Caecias #9 Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postdityboycom, on 08 August 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

If you're experiencing delay, think about what the word buffering means. It's not that strange at all. Glad to hear you figured out your issue, thanks for not deleting it like everyone else does so someone else can find use of this thread in the future.

Well technically that setting is video frame buffering....  it should not effect input generally speaking.  In other (quick moving) games I have used buffering this had not been an issue.  It's beyond my scope of understanding, but me thinks it has to do with the game engine, and the way objects are rendered and then referenced in memory...  which gives a huge nod to which you are eluding.  Makes sense indeed. 

Thanks for the comments. 

Caecias #10 Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Bumping this thread with additional information:

I also notice some of this input behavior if I try to overclock my video card with either /or memory and cpu clock tweaks. I find the game might run well for a game or two then reverts to input mayhem, and FPS debauchery.  I tried this because even when not overclocking, the game does not run well on a machine spec that exceeds their recommended spec.   This again points to a (un)suitability of this game's optimization by WG's own spec, let alone accelerated gaming rigs.

In this case I am using the exact recommended specification from Wargaming / Persha (Actually, I am exceeding it):

http://worldofwarpla.../game/download/

From their published web page: (My Spec is in this color)

System requirements

Minimum Recommended
Operating system: Windows XP SP3 / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 64-bit Windows (Win 10 Pro x64)
Processor (CPU): Intel Core 2 Duo or higher Core i3/higher (Core i7)
Memory (RAM): 2 GB 4 GB (16 GB)
Video Card: Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, Intel HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 4670/higher)

GeForce GTX 650 or Radeon HD 6800/higher

(GeForce GTX 660 w/ 2 GB Buffer)

Audio card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

DirectX 9.0c compatible

(DirectX 9.0c +, 11, 12 compatible)

Free space on hard drive: 19 GB

30 GB (800 GB Available)

Internet connection speed: 256 Kbps 900 Kbps (10 Mbps)

Edited by Caecias, 22 August 2016 - 04:10 AM.

Caecias #11 Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Bumping this yet again...

...over the past few versions of this game, if the game is open for an extended period of time, this behavior - as noted in the OP - reveals itself.  The only course is to restart the game.  I find frustrating to say the least.

The game is simply riddled with memory leaks and lacks optimizations. Frame buffering is a clue, but I think the underlying problem is yet to be understood in full.

Edited by Caecias, 29 August 2016 - 11:22 PM.

dityboycom #12 Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostCaecias, on 23 August 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

Bumping this yet again...

...over the past few versions of this game, if the game is open for an extended period of time, this behavior - as noted in the OP - reveals itself.  The only course is to restart the game.  I find frustrating to say the least.

The game is simply riddled with memory leaks and lacks optimizations. Frame buffering is a clue, but I think the underling problem is yet to be understood in full.

It's been like that since I started playing 2 years ago. Only reason it doesn't effect me is my computer is a big enough power house the memory leaks are irrelevant in the time I spend in the game.

Caecias #13 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postdityboycom, on 23 August 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's been like that since I started playing 2 years ago. Only reason it doesn't effect me is my computer is a big enough power house the memory leaks are irrelevant in the time I spend in the game.

Thanks for the added confirmations.  My rig is also well over spec and kept meticulously clean (as the IT geek I am)...  so any type of glitch is noteworthy, especially when it gets in the way of my entertainment. :izmena:

Psicko23 #14 Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 23 August 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Is that a trick answer?  do you spend any time if at all in this game? 

Edited by Psicko23, 25 August 2016 - 03:31 AM.

dityboycom #15 Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostPsicko23, on 24 August 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

Is that a trick answer?  do you spend any time if at all in this game? 

Nope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users