Windows 10 in regards to FPS - a gaming study

Windows10 tweak buff

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Captain

• 16 battles

I hope that everyone knows what FPS means to on-line gaming. To reiterate, it means Frames-per-Second (FPS). The higher your FPS rating the better your gaming experience in detail views and player performance. 

However there is a limit in what is a good FPS with on-line gaming. Some games just let go of the higher FPS ratings base on game engine design. For example, WoT has no need of an FPS higher than 80. This is because the human eye can not handle or distinct the difference of imaging higher than 80 FPS. It is what WG has designed for WoT. There are people that boast of having FPS of 132 in playing WG products, which is fine too, however again it does not matter in game design if the game developers don't use it, the higher FPS

However the FPS I am going to talk about is on the client side of things and not on the server side of things. There are some things I have found out since I have upgraded to Windows 10 that I would like to pass along to you, our community.

Now for some of you may trust Microsoft (MS), but me I see them as a necessary evil until another OS platform that pushes them out of the market. Now I don't hate MS, I am just annoyed of their business practices. However, I digress.

A few items I will note will have controversy on the subject matter. How to make these changes are already documented on-line too.

TL/DR POV study

Spoiler

Overall your FPS is processed by what your system can do things in games. Software processes, and hardware infrastructure all contribute to the final FPS rating outside of the game server. All that I have mentioned  above can be undone if you are unsatisfied with these tweak suggested changes. All it takes is checking the features back on. However, I bet most of you will be surprised, in a good sense, with the end results in making these changes. Let me know what you think on of what I found out.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 18 July 2016 - 10:41 PM.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

honorabili #2 Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 270 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Good guide that should help a lot of the people that are currently running the game on a potato, especially.

I use the Auslogics Disk Defragmenter on my hard drives, although it does an ad pop up once now during the defrag process. They also try to get you to download the system performance boost software which is garbage but the defragger is great.

GhostPrime #3 Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Good information here. Thank you for sharing this!

I do want to point out that when he says to ignore the paragraph if you have an SSD. do just that! SSDs are different than regular mechanical drives. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

honorabili #4 Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 270 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostGhostPrime, on 18 July 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Good information here. Thank you for sharing this!

I do want to point out that when he says to ignore the paragraph if you have an SSD. do just that! SSDs are different than regular mechanical drives. 

True. There's no need to defrag an SSD, in fact it could make performance worse and will lower the life of it because of the strain of the defrag operation in the long run.

FlakValleyExpress #5 Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

Captain

• 16 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 18 July 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Thank you for re-affirming the statement on the SSD. 

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

DInk_Spinkley #6 Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
Bad players are still bad players.
RIP World of Warplanes

Bobby_Tables #7 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 593 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Thanks for the info Flak!  I don't have any of the other issues but will try turning off SuperFetch and see if that has any result.  

On top of that, the latest upgrade to Windows 10 has a new setting called "Gaming Mode" which in theory should shut or slow down other processes while gaming.  Based on articles on the internet and personal experience, turning that feature OFF (yes, OFF) might actually be better depending on your rig.  I have tried it both on and off with negligible effect on FPS, so Microsoft may need to work on this a bit more.  

I will take issue with your stance on SSDs.  While the tech advice on SSDs (don't defragment, indexing means nothing to SSDs) is spot on, the upgrade advice is, IMO not accurate.  With the exact same system in place, installing an SSD in place of a traditional spinning hard drive is the upgrade that can positively impact overall system performance in the most significant manner (not sure about FPS, but boot and load times, absolutely).  I have done this on three different computers and the results are great.  The "premier" SSD makers (Samsung, Intel) have reliable utilities to move your OS and other files to the new SSD and they have worked remarkably well for me.  You do need some computer expertise to move, say a 1GB spinning SATA drive to an SSD (hint: you need to choose what you move and have some experience in partitioning to get it done).  I have Windows 10, WOWP and a couple of other high demand apps like virtual machines installed on my 250GB SSD.  I moved all data files and crap to several 1GB spinning hard drives.  

Also, my media center PC and wife's laptop all improved significantly with the installation of SSDs, leaving all else the same.

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 16 May 2017 - 12:41 AM.

Also tagged with Windows10, tweak, buff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users