Guide Video Ram Taran Kamikaze Sonderkommando Elba

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Hey, all!  In this episode of Pilot Academy I'm going to be taking a look at a particular sort of attack that we all see from time to time but no material has really been made to address.  I'm talking about ram attacks.

In general terms, the ram attack is a move made for one of two reasons; desperation or a coldly calculated tactical decision.  Rams made out of desperation rarely end well for the pilot initiating them as his aircraft most likely is already in bad shape and is most likely a poor choice for initiating physical contact.  The coldly calculated ram generally ends better for the initiating pilot as he has weighed the chances of success ahead of time.

In the current iteration of the game there are three major factors that determine the results of a collision between aircraft.

1.  Aircraft classification.  Ground Attack aircraft are the most sturdily built airframes we have at our disposal in Warplanes, so they fare best when contact is made.  Heavy fighters are a distant second, though they are much tougher than multirole or light fighters.  Multirole fighters are only slightly better off in a collision than light fighters.

2.  Aircraft health at time of ram.  Every ram will reduce the health of your aircraft; also how healthy your aircraft is when a ram is initiated adds to the damage you will inflict on the other aircraft.

3.  Point of contact.  There are two parts of your aircraft you can ram with; the wings or fuselage.  The wings are considered a "soft" part of your aircraft and will not inflict as much damage to yourself or your target when you collide.  The fuselage is considered a "hard" target and will inflict massive damage to yourself and your target, very likely damaging your engine(s) and injuring your crew.

Using your aircraft as a man controlled missile is harder than it sounds, as the Japanese discovered when the idea was floated to use novice pilots as guidance systems for aircraft that had been turned into flying bombs.  The Kamikaze program at the end of the Pacific war did wreak havoc and will be remembered in history forever, but the amount of damage inflicted for the materiel that was committed was quite lackluster.  So, if hitting large slow moving ships with a maneuverable aircraft is difficult, it is exponentially trickier to get the collision to work between two planes without some amount of cooperation from your target.  Either that, or a total ignorance on the part of your target of your intent to ram them.

May most of your battles go well enough that you don't have to resort to these tactics, but remember what you've seen here for those (hopefully) rare occasions of total desperation.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

DInk_Spinkley #2 Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10994 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Ramming is for no skill something something cowards.

Learn to fight like a human being. You'll live longer.

RIP World of Warplanes

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDInk_Spinkley, on 24 June 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Every tactic has its time and place.  That's the point of this.  Thanks for stopping by with kind words, though!  :teethhappy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Porkins_Jr #4 Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostDInk_Spinkley, on 24 June 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

Wrong. When I see a LF or even a HF coming at me head-on while I'm flying a GA it takes a lot less effort (not to mention its a lot less wasteful on ordnance like rockets) to just ram the poor fool to death.

Pogo68 #5 Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18990 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostDInk_Spinkley, on 24 June 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

Then stop making head on attacks against heavily armored and armed ground attack aircraft and heavy fighters.

You have a sports car, we're driving a tank, you figure it out.

Edited by Pogo68, 24 June 2016 - 08:08 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Porkins_Jr #6 Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:50 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostPogo68, on 24 June 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Then stop making head on attacks against heavily armored and armed ground attack aircraft and heavy fighters.

:D

TeamTerrible #7 Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• 46394 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostPogo68, on 24 June 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

You could send an X-mas gift of this speech recorded on a player stuck on repeat......beats turning blue in the face yet they still won't understand you

Quesnel #8 Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

I don't think I need to explain who playing their roles here.

Edited by Quesnel, 25 June 2016 - 05:39 AM.

Porkins_Jr #9 Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostQuesnel, on 25 June 2016 - 01:28 AM, said:

I don't think I need to explain who playing their roles here.

Man, I watched that movie and I thought "Ramming Superman with a car has got to be the stupidest move Batman ever tried in his life!"

I mean, just say it out loud. "I'm going to ram Superman with a car."  Sound like a good idea????

Pogo68 #10 Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18990 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 25 June 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

Man, I watched that movie and I thought "Ramming Superman with a car has got to be the stupidest move Batman ever tried in his life!"

I mean, just say it out loud. "I'm going to ram Superman with a car."  Sound like a good idea????

To be fair Bat's did not try to ram him.

Bat's was coming around the corner in pursuit of a fleeing truck and Superman planted himself in front the car's path.

If you notice the Batmobile hit sideways.

If Bat's had been trying to ram him, he would have pointed the car's reinforced nose, (the battering ram) where the car's structure is strongest and where the car can deliver the greatest amount of energy in the smallest area.

Movie physics,

Superman must be able to control his body's gravity.

Otherwise, Man of Steel or not he's bouncing off that car like a ping pong ball.

Edited by Pogo68, 25 June 2016 - 08:46 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Cuesta_Rey #11 Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 25 June 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

I didn't see the movie (I fell asleep), but my son tells me Batman beat the snot out of Superman. Is this true, or was he pulling my leg. I think he was giving me the rasberries cause I fell out.

Quesnel #12 Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View Postdoublespook, on 25 June 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

I didn't see the movie (I fell asleep), but my son tells me Batman beat the snot out of Superman. Is this true, or was he pulling my leg. I think he was giving me the rasberries cause I fell out.

The start of a great many, people couldn't believe what was happening, things.

View PostPogo68, on 25 June 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

To be fair Bat's did not try to ram him.

Bat's was coming around the corner in pursuit of a fleeing truck and Superman planted himself in front the car's path.

If you notice the Batmobile hit sideways.

If Bat's had been trying to ram him, he would have pointed the car's reinforced nose, (the battering ram) where the car's structure is strongest and where the car can deliver the greatest amount of energy in the smallest area.

Movie physics,

Superman must be able to control his body's gravity.

Otherwise, Man of Steel or not he's bouncing off that car like a ping pong ball.

First two points, true and I agree. Third point....dunno, but sounds plausible.

Bear_82 #13 Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 22822 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

Last minute or so of a 1.4.0 replay. I wasn't paying close attention to the minimap, so didn't know where the north GA was until he hit another target just after I started the left turn in the video at about the 30 second mark. As Alex said after the battle, "nice tactical ram". 

Spoiler

Porkins_Jr #14 Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

1) Batman didn't really try to evade much, so it's kind of like he tried ramming or sideswiping or something.

2) Batman beat a weakened, Kryptonite-poisoned Superman. That makes sense. In the other movie Lex Luthor beat him up when he was Kryptonite poisoned.

Dru83 #15 Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• 5451 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
I always laugh when people try to head on me when I'm flying an attack plane. Of course I'm going to ram you, it just makes sense. Why risk you getting on my 6 where I can't hurt you when I can just yank the controls sideways and chop your wings off. The really funny part is when I can ram people in reverse. You know, when you're flying your Russian GA and you cut the throttle, drop the flaps, and stick the nose in the air, and then laugh as the guy behind you plows into your tail and kills himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users