Despite everything...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Mackunaima #21 Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostHusarski, on 29 June 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Just started the game, and I have clan tags from WOT. This means in tier 1 - 3 the 3 to 4 humans on the other team focus me down fast. Since I have 50% and 75%, 1 perk pilots with no consumables or special gear (a function of the game economy I'm fine with as WOT works the same) I haven't a chance vs. a player with thousands of games and all the goodies / pilot.

For a person coming into WOWP without the WOT or WOWS experience on how WG does things, getting killed in the first 30 seconds of every game, that took 90 seconds in queue = leave game. According to my display as I queue up, "the majority of players are playing tier II - III games".

This does not make WOWP appealing to new players.

When I pointed this out in one of the many 30 second games, I received the following, "STFU nub, get gud, you suck, too bad" = leave game.

Compared to WOWS or WOT this game has a steep and brutal learning curve of masochism.

In WOWS you can go with your tier 1 ship vs a bot team, spend 20 seconds in queue and play for 10 minutes = new players staying.

You are right, I understand you and it is not your fault.

But most of flight games are fast and a real carnage because there is no place to hide. It is just about learn how to stay alive.

Meanwhile we are suffering an old problem. Experienced players just playing low tier in the name "I play wherever I want to". Well, for sure you can play wherever you want, but I just cant realize why just low tier or mostly low tiers. WG tried to turn it around without success bringing a lot of unlikely patches and screwing the game.

Most of us, including me would like to see 1.4 back. Game was a way more brutal but was a way more fun too.

Regards,

Mack

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

General_Lee_Miserable #22 Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 328 battles

I've been noticing a stable and relatively healthy population recently. You can get 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 humans in high tiers now, even on a Tuesday morning. I'm having a lot of fun, but I see it differently than others because I still have lines to grind. I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with my recently acquired J7W1. Its a plane I always thought would suck, but its a beast when flown properly. 

Husarski #23 Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

Senior Airman

• 1634 battles

I would love to love this game. I flew just about every flight sim in the 80's and 90's till they fell out of favour and this game has great graphics, a good progression model and plenty of aircraft to choose from both in nation and class.

I collected models and model war-gamed as a teenager and can name by sight just about every aircraft in WWII. This is the reason that I am still playing WOT after 5 years and have been on WOWS since Beta. Recently my shift has changed at work allowing me more time to get in front of the computer and play. Decided to give WOWP a shot continuing my interest in WWII simulators.

However this game does have a reputation amoungst the other WG games for being awful. I expect this is half truths out of youtube videos and general rumour mongering.

I expect to slog along at the game until I get the experience (both myself and pilot) & cash required to get my planes to fighting trim. This comes from my understanding of how WG works, tiers, experience, crew, consumables, etc. I have plenty of free exps and gold from the unified economy which helps and a job where I can buy a premium plane or 5. I got my first token last weekend after about 50 flights, so things are looking up.  Apparently I do better in zippy maneuverable fighters than heavy GA.

For a new player to this game without the WG experience, I can see how daunting it would be. Especially while flying with the mouse instead of a joystick and not knowing the resources out there to help newbies. The 4 training flights aren't enough by a long shot.

It would be helpful to this game's population if experienced players either helped the new or stayed out of tier 1 - 3. A new player without gold or cash to train new crew will come into tier III with a 50% experienced crew, no consumables or equipment. Running into players with thousands of battles in tier II who shoot you out of the sky in under a minute is disheartening.

A function of the furball nature of the game throws the new player into the middle of a fight hoping to shoot something down. Usually the reverse occurs.

It is unfortunate that the same people complaining about low server population are those contributing to its demise.

Bear_82 #24 Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 60 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostHusarski, on 29 June 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

. . . Compared to WOWS or WOT this game has a steep and brutal learning curve . . .

I completely understand where the rest of your comments are coming from, and tend to agree, but this is the ultimate truth

Noreaga #25 Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHusarski, on 29 June 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

It would be helpful to this game's population if experienced players either helped the new or stayed out of tier 1 - 3. A new player without gold or cash to train new crew will come into tier III with a 50% experienced crew, no consumables or equipment. Running into players with thousands of battles in tier II who shoot you out of the sky in under a minute is disheartening/

It is unfortunate that the same people complaining about low server population are those contributing to its demise.

Ok i enjoyed your perpesctive, and i can agree with much of what you said. 

It would be helpful to this game's population if experienced players either helped the new or stayed out of tier 1 - 3

First off many of us offer help, or have offered training programs to any one who wishes to put the work in and learn. The problem with this is that most players are not interested in helping themselves, "i died change the game so i don't" was the chorus even during the golden month 1-2k players. 2 players have taken me up on my offer, and it is similar to most other vets i talk to. We offer, but most don't take us up on it. Granted a new player doesn't read the forum and WG should have an easy to find list of veterans who are willing to instruct, but i think it would be wasted based on my experience over these last 3 years. 

Staying out of T1-3 is a loaded question, and i agree Seal Clubbing in those tiers does more damage than any double heavy at high tiers. WG also makes it clear they want us all to fly those tiers, between daily missions to the 4-10 T2-3 gift planes we have received over the years not much of a chance that people won't fly it.

Finally the biggest problem on this forum is that people seem to think that players are responsible for the state of this game, there is no way a few mean pilots scared away 1000-1500 nightly pilots. No amount of us being nice, or playing to the morals of every other person here, is going to gloss over the fact that the publisher killed this games population...

best,

Nimis obnoxii curare

GiN_nTonic #26 Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

Captain

• 1959 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

This game needs more depth - badly. People talk about end game content....and yes, that would be very welcomed and help.  However, this game has an extremely narrow aperture of activities.  There is one game style - death-match.  Without adding depth to this game I dont see how its going to grow.

I think if WG offered single player missions to help new comers get used to flying before jumping into P2P (with bots) that would offer at least some depth of content while easing people in to the game.  Beyond that, having mission types that are more interesting and some end game content would start to round out this game to a point it could grow again.

Cuesta_Rey #27 Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

With the way daily missions and rewards are set up, veteran players are going to be in the lower tiers if for no other reason, to get their missions done and earn their tokens.

That being said, it's hard for new players to win down there, and it has been the same for all of us when we began. Back then, I never gave much thought to the fact that veteran players may have been playing there. I really didn't give a crap. I thought I was supposed to be challenged by them and beat the veteran players. Don't you? 

Whether your playing tennis, boxing, tiddly winks, or marbles, you always learn the most from the veteran players and having your butt kicked. That's my experience anyhow.

Porkins_Jr #28 Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

There aren't THAT many seal clubbers at low tiers. And you learn the names pretty fast. Stay away from those players until you have gotten better. Use your mini-map and radar. Hunt bots and other newbies.

It's not like you will be seal-clubbed every match. At least, not until you've gotten the chance to score a few kills yourself.

Noreaga #29 Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdoublespook, on 29 June 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

With the way daily missions and rewards are set up, veteran players are going to be in the lower tiers if for no other reason, to get their missions done and earn their tokens.

That being said, it's hard for new players to win down there, and it has been the same for all of us when we began. Back then, I never gave much thought to the fact that veteran players may have been playing there. I really didn't give a crap. I thought I was supposed to be challenged by them and beat the veteran players. Don't you? 

Whether your playing tennis, boxing, tiddly winks, or marbles, you always learn the most from the veteran players and having your butt kicked. That's my experience anyhow.

“Those things that hurt, instruct.”

― Benjamin Franklin

Nimis obnoxii curare

Mackunaima #30 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 29 June 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

There aren't THAT many seal clubbers at low tiers. And you learn the names pretty fast. Stay away from those players until you have gotten better. Use your mini-map and radar. Hunt bots and other newbies.

It's not like you will be seal-clubbed every match. At least, not until you've gotten the chance to score a few kills yourself.

Unless when they are relloing accounts... :bajan:

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

MagusGerhardt #31 Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHusarski, on 29 June 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

Mostly good points, excepting the "players are killing this game".

Always good to see a new pilot sticking it out and trying to learn the game.

I have a large series of instructional videos meant for newer players, and feature many battle walk-throughs with lower tier aircraft on my youtube channel.

Some are talky, some are just action.  http://www.TrialByMagus.com

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

tahee59 #32 Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
I won a cpu from the release event , still around

MagusGerhardt #33 Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Posttahee59, on 01 July 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

I won a cpu from the release event , still around

You are, or the computer is?  :trollface:

But, seriously, that's not the contest people are referring to when they say "release event or release contest".

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users