Despite everything...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Porkins_Jr #1 Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:07 AM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

There are 600 people on tonight, playing this game on a Wednesday.

There are still lingering signs of life.

It baffles me why WG doesn't try to fan the flames.

Population is basically at the same level as a year ago. It dipped then spiked then has settled back. But still....some signs of life. WG... do something....it's not too late.

GeorgePatton #2 Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD
At this point I really think the only thing that would save this game is if they licensed the game to one of the NA studios and developed a separate game for NA/EU regions. RU region players like the crazy meta we have now. Not as successful as WoT/WoWS, but they've got a good share of the air combat market in the RU region so they're happy over there.

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

J311yfish #3 Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2998 battles
  • [343] 343

I don't normally comment on these kinds of things, but here are some things to consider.

The low population of WoWP NA does not indicate failure so much as it indicates the relative success of other games.  If those other games happen to be WoT and WoWS, great, because those people may not necessarily play those games forever.  If they do, great; but if they don't, here is another avenue to make use of their accumulated experience that might be to their liking.  And if they leave WG's atmosphere completely there is still an incentive to come back.

There is also, I think, a mistaken premise that lingers on this forum -- the notion that WW2-era aerial combat games compete with each other in a winner-take-all fashion.  That is not true for at least 2 reasons:  1) there are people that play both; 2) the prospect of future development means that the population can shift from one to the other or back in the future as things unfold.

Now, I could say things about the culture here compared to the culture of some other games, but I think it is already kind of obvious.  The level of maturity here seems to be higher, and for exceptions there is an ignore feature.

Game on.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

GeorgePatton #4 Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD
J311yfish, I agree with you on the topic of a no 'winner takes all' idea for player counts, but we all know there's a LOT more than 600 people interested in playing air combat games out there. The fact that Wargaming can only hold the attention of 600 people at a time is really sad in a game that's populated by players from Canada, Mexico, SEA, USA, etc. We used to have over 5k people online during testing - where did they all go? Wargaming is creating a game that is not appreciated by our region or the EU region because we have a completely different mindset when it comes to air combat. There's a reason Western pilots dominated the USSR pilots in WWII and later wars - USSR (now RU) has a history of going toe-to-toe with anything competitive. Boxing? See who can take the most punches. Weapons? See who can make a bigger gun that does more damage. Combat aircraft? Who will stay in a head-to-head attack longer - it is my opinion that that mindset is also a determining factor in how we play videogames. Look at the differences in play on WoT and WoWS between the servers and you'll see this. The difference with those games is that you can play them and have fun with a 'western' style. Not so for WoWP. That's why I think we need to bring development to the NA region.

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

pyantoryng #5 Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:10 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2236 battles
600...nothing to brag about, but at one point said number is *weekend* number...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Porkins_Jr #6 Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postpyantoryng, on 22 June 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

600...nothing to brag about, but at one point said number is *weekend* number...

Yes the weekend will be interesting with the Mustang mission winding up. Maybe 700, 800 ppl?

ArrowZ_ #7 Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:38 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

What you don't realize is ever since November 12, 2013 this symptom of stagnant population growth has been lingering for the past 3 years (about to be this coming november). Actually I can recount even in OBT the population was consistently low 800-1200 (but not as low as what we have today) which is clear evidence that people enjoyed the old WOWP than the version we have now. The one consistency that hasn't changed was the declining trend of players leaving more than staying. Hence the 600 player count today compared to the well missed 2000-3000 back in the day. I can't believe I'm actually considering "2000" as a threshold as "good standards" for a server so poorly managed when the other 2 titles have literally 10x more in any day of the week which is still true today. Even more depressing that WOWS that's much younger than the 2, has more population than planes...

I guess what I'm trying to say is WG, as a whole (RU, EU, NA) have an infamous reputation of idling by doing squat while their servers bleeds in player base. I've lost count on how many times they've delivered promises that never came, fixes/changes (gunlion MM) that came too late, game changing updates that would have saved the game - released too late because for some odd reason Persha likes to release their major content patches in 6 month intervals - which is dumb.

I'd like to say this game will turn around in 2.0 with a relaunch but im skeptical having observed far too many inconsistencies & disappointments from both WG as a publisher and Persha as the developers. But like any forum dweller I'll continue to lurk and read any news from Flak or WG. But flak always beats them to it anyways. Only downside is the poor RU-ENG translation.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Caecias #8 Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 22 June 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

At this point I really think the only thing that would save this game is if they licensed the game to one of the NA studios and developed a separate game for NA/EU regions. RU region players like the crazy meta we have now. Not as successful as WoT/WoWS, but they've got a good share of the air combat market in the RU region so they're happy over there.

I don't think that would be wise...

More resources and listening to customers in the Western hemisphere might help though. :hiding:

Cuesta_Rey #9 Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

For a lot of you guys that have hung around since the 1.5 debacle, I can understand why you would be frustrated at this point because the game has not met your expectations quickly enough.

However, as someone who uninstalled the game after 1.5, and now have returned, this is a pretty good game again. It needs more players, yes. But all-in-all, it's pretty good. Not too far off the mark IMHO.

Tophatfire #10 Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJ311yfish, on 22 June 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

I don't normally comment on these kinds of things, but here are some things to consider.

The low population of WoWP NA does not indicate failure so much as it indicates the relative success of other games.  If those other games happen to be WoT and WoWS, great, because those people may not necessarily play those games forever.  If they do, great; but if they don't, here is another avenue to make use of their accumulated experience that might be to their liking.  And if they leave WG's atmosphere completely there is still an incentive to come back.

There is also, I think, a mistaken premise that lingers on this forum -- the notion that WW2-era aerial combat games compete with each other in a winner-take-all fashion.  That is not true for at least 2 reasons:  1) there are people that play both; 2) the prospect of future development means that the population can shift from one to the other or back in the future as things unfold.

Now, I could say things about the culture here compared to the culture of some other games, but I think it is already kind of obvious.  The level of maturity here seems to be higher, and for exceptions there is an ignore feature.

Game on.

Disagree.  "Relative lack of success" and "failure" are effectively the same thing, it's just a matter of semantics.  The reality is that if they did't have WoT to pay the bills this thing would have had to disappear long ago.

Also disagree about the nature of competition.  Granted there's more fluidity than with an up-front cost AAA title, but even F2P has digital goods that can lead to player inertia in a particular product.  And frankly, I tried the competition and hated it.  There's not even tons of cross-pollination with WG's other products and crossover events died off for lack of qualified interest.

View Postpyantoryng, on 22 June 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

View PostGeorgePatton, on 22 June 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

The fact that Wargaming can only hold the attention of 600 people at a time is really sad in a game that's populated by players from Canada, Mexico, SEA, USA, etc. We used to have over 5k people online during testing - where did they all go? 

Exactly.  600 during prime time for the entire NA market is terrible no matter how you cut it.  Heck, when we had 1500 after launch people complaining that pop was too low.  Tier 9 was only playable during primetime hours and Tier 10 was basically unplayable.

View PostGeorgePatton, on 22 June 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

We used to have over 5k people online during testing - where did they all go? Wargaming is creating a game that is not appreciated by our region or the EU region because we have a completely different mindset when it comes to air combat. There's a reason Western pilots dominated the USSR pilots in WWII and later wars - USSR (now RU) has a history of going toe-to-toe with anything competitive. Boxing? See who can take the most punches. Weapons? See who can make a bigger gun that does more damage. Combat aircraft? Who will stay in a head-to-head attack longer - it is my opinion that that mindset is also a determining factor in how we play videogames. Look at the differences in play on WoT and WoWS between the servers and you'll see this. The difference with those games is that you can play them and have fun with a 'western' style. Not so for WoWP. That's why I think we need to bring development to the NA region.

Goofy thinking.  The average player of this game has little awareness of air combat doctrine of any nation in any era, and air combat doctrine doesn't translate to video game habits.  Western-ness has little to do with it, and Tanks and Ships were developed in former Soviet states yet do leaps and bounds better.

A lack of Western-ness didn't epically fumble the launch event, didn't break the controls in 1.5, didn't break the MM in 1.6, and didn't leave game breaking lag in place for months.  WGNA and Persha apathy and incompetence did, and it turns out those span eras and geography.

J311yfish #11 Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2998 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostBotCDR, on 23 June 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

Disagree.  "Relative lack of success" and "failure" are effectively the same thing, it's just a matter of semantics.  The reality is that if they did't have WoT to pay the bills this thing would have had to disappear long ago.

Also disagree about the nature of competition.  Granted there's more fluidity than with an up-front cost AAA title, but even F2P has digital goods that can lead to player inertia in a particular product.  And frankly, I tried the competition and hated it.  There's not even tons of cross-pollination with WG's other products and crossover events died off for lack of qualified interest.

I don't know where you are coming from with any of this, but it is clear to me that you mistake my meaning.  That's okay though because I'm not going to volunteer my time for debate.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Tophatfire #12 Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJ311yfish, on 23 June 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

I don't know where you are coming from with any of this, but it is clear to me that you mistake my meaning.  That's okay though because I'm not going to volunteer my time for debate.

You advanced silly hypotheses and then called "game on" only to pretend to be too cool for school when you got challenged.

J311yfish #13 Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2998 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostJ311yfish, on 23 June 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

The level of maturity here seems to be higher, and for exceptions there is an ignore feature.

Tophatfire #14 Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:16 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJ311yfish, on 23 June 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

The level of maturity here seems to be higher, and for exceptions there is an ignore feature.

View PostBotCDR, on 22 June 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

Exactly.  600 during prime time for the entire NA market is terrible no matter how you cut it.  

Declaring your assertions beyond question... for no particular reason is kind of the opposite of maturity.

Have a great weekend.

Noreaga #15 Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdoublespook, on 22 June 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

For a lot of you guys that have hung around since the 1.5 debacle, I can understand why you would be frustrated at this point because the game has not met your expectations quickly enough.

However, as someone who uninstalled the game after 1.5, and now have returned, this is a pretty good game again. It needs more players, yes. But all-in-all, it's pretty good. Not too far off the mark IMHO.

after each break i take, the first few weeks back are a honeymoon. Then i start getting bored with the bots, and i feel my level of play falling. Bots can be beat with the same simple acm's, i haven't found my self thinking ahead or even wanting to. It is just too easy these days and that in itself is the major problem. 

expecting this game to addict me like it did in beta is my major problem. I know it can be better and that is frustrating above all else.

anyway broken record spinning round round

Nimis obnoxii curare

Cuesta_Rey #16 Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
You are right, Noreaga. When I left the game after 1.5, the reason was because of broken flight mechanics. Now, flight mechanics are not so much an issue. It's lack of player participation, lack of end-game content, and the bots are (IMHO) a stupid distraction. But a necessary distraction because of lack of live player participation. 

Jaguardian #17 Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 206 battles

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 22 June 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

There are 600 people on tonight, playing this game on a Wednesday.

There are still lingering signs of life.

It baffles me why WG doesn't try to fan the flames.

Population is basically at the same level as a year ago. It dipped then spiked then has settled back. But still....some signs of life. WG... do something....it's not too late.

Wednesday was also the first day of the 4 day Russian chasing the Mustang mission.

pyantoryng #18 Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2236 battles

View PostJaguardian, on 23 June 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

Wednesday was also the first day of the 4 day Russian chasing the Mustang mission.

It takes like 1-2 hours or so to complete, too...for some, at least...

...and then, they disappear into the woods...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Noreaga #19 Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 23 June 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

It takes like 1-2 hours or so to complete, too...for some, at least...

...and then, they disappear into the woods...

Like the people who won the release event? :sceptic:

Nimis obnoxii curare

Husarski #20 Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 1626 battles

Just started the game, and I have clan tags from WOT. This means in tier 1 - 3 the 3 to 4 humans on the other team focus me down fast. Since I have 50% and 75%, 1 perk pilots with no consumables or special gear (a function of the game economy I'm fine with as WOT works the same) I haven't a chance vs. a player with thousands of games and all the goodies / pilot.

For a person coming into WOWP without the WOT or WOWS experience on how WG does things, getting killed in the first 30 seconds of every game, that took 90 seconds in queue = leave game. According to my display as I queue up, "the majority of players are playing tier II - III games".

This does not make WOWP appealing to new players.

When I pointed this out in one of the many 30 second games, I received the following, "STFU nub, get gud, you suck, too bad" = leave game.

Compared to WOWS or WOT this game has a steep and brutal learning curve of masochism.

In WOWS you can go with your tier 1 ship vs a bot team, spend 20 seconds in queue and play for 10 minutes = new players staying.

Edited by Husarski, 29 June 2016 - 02:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users