News - Automatic WG update process for WoWP, WoWS, and WoT

launcher updates automatic

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Captain

• 55 battles

They made the announcement on the EU WoWP forum in every language except English. When does this go live? TBA. BTW the RU forums don't have this mentioned either in their forums or portal.

Block Quote

Pilots!

From now on World of Warplanes can be updated automatically. Thats how it works:

Enabled "Update automatically" in the settings of Spielelaunchers:

Once the option is enabled, an icon appears in the notification area, indicating that the program works in the background. Once an update is available, the software will offer you to update the game or perform the process later.

You also can use in their respective launchers different settings for World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and World of Warships.

Important information:

The program can be found in your notification area. It will only check regularly whether there are updates.

• It consumes a lot of RAM (3.7 to 4.0 MB) and bandwidth (~ 5 MB per week). Downloading and installing is still carried out by the Launcher.
  • If one of our games is running the program, meanwhile, will not check for new versions or perform installations. It does not lead to lag, low frame rate or other negative effects.
  • If you also other WG games have installed on your PC while you play one of this program no activity for other games in the background is this run.

EU(German) WoWP forum source link

Firstly, I am against any launcher that is in the background, because launchers, from my experience, are far from being efficient enough in CPU resources and they are arrogant in thinking they are the only software on the planet on your system. And add to the fact that I am the Alpha and not them in controlling my computer.

Now I am not sure why this new process is a priority in WG. However, it shows a disregard in what WG is working on in improving all their software products by priority. Besides we have a launcher that updates the software when we the players open the WG launcher programs. I don't need WG updating software running constantly on my computer. How lazy as a gamer do you have to be?

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 22 June 2016 - 01:50 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

theponja #2 Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 238 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 22 June 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

They made the announcement on the EU WoWP forum in every language except English. When does this go live? TBA. BTW the RU forums don't have this mentioned either in their forums or portal.

EU(German) WoWP forum source link

Firstly, I am against any launcher that is in the background, because launchers, from my experience, are far from being efficient enough in CPU resources and they are arrogant in thinking they are the only software on the planet on your system. And add to the fact that I am the Alpha and not them in controlling my computer.

Now I am not sure why this new process is a priority in WG. However, it shows a disregard in what WG is working on in improving all their software products by priority. Besides we have a launcher that updates the software when we the players open the WG launcher programs. I don't need WG updating software running constantly on my computer. How lazy as a gamer do you have to be?

No way I enable on my computer any program which automatically use RAM, CPU or Bandwith. I really don't understand why they're doing this and using developers time on this thing. 

RedSpartacus #3 Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

You're going to play WoWP and this program is telling after or before you start the game that there's a new version available ?

Can we ignore new patches ? I doubt it so this program is pretty much useless.

RUN WITH THE PACK

FlakValleyExpress #4 Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Captain

• 55 battles

View Posttheponja, on 22 June 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

No way I enable on my computer any program which automatically use RAM, CPU or Bandwith. I really don't understand why they're doing this and using developers time on this thing. 

I agree

View PostRedSpartacus, on 22 June 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

You're going to play WoWP and this program is telling after or before you start the game that there's a new version available ?

Can we ignore new patches ? I doubt it so this program is pretty much useless.

Un-check the box and you should be good to go

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Porkins_Jr #5 Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
As long as you can uncheck the box, there's no issue here.

Tophatfire #6 Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The RAM and CPU resources in keeping an auto updater running in background are pretty trivial on most modern systems these days.  I'd be a lot more concerned about the update torrent seeding leeching bandwidth over time.

If you leave the box checked and simply schedule a system task to run the launcher early on patch day you'll get you game "automatically" updated anyway.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #7 Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

Captain

• 837 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostBotCDR, on 22 June 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

The RAM and CPU resources in keeping an auto updater running in background are pretty trivial on most modern systems these days.  I'd be a lot more concerned about the update torrent seeding leeching bandwidth over time.

If you leave the box checked and simply schedule a system task to run the launcher early on patch day you'll get you game "automatically" updated anyway.

yep... the torrent seeding is not needed...

I'm not your minion bot...

didn't you see the AWESOME Exclusive Super Server WG "Owns"...

Video - WG Data Center

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 22 June 2016 - 05:03 PM.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Mind_Eraser #8 Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 22 battles
  • [THIEF] THIEF
Seeding = more lag added

Porkins_Jr #9 Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostJohnny_5_, on 22 June 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Seeding = more lag added

Yup, I will be unchecking that box as fast as possible.

Tophatfire #10 Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJohnny_5_, on 22 June 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Seeding = more lag added

Not really.  It's already distributed thru torrent by default without issue, and only fools would decide to turn it on.

It's the background "automatic" torrenting when I'm trying to download something else, or stream a video elsewhere in the house, or video chat that would grind my gears.

This is less of a big deal than it's being made out to be, but can still be an annoyance for very many customers.  If they're going to offer something like this to make their own bottom line better and make the experience better for their other customers there should at least be a deliberate opt-in and some kind of compensation.

Mind_Eraser #11 Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 22 battles
  • [THIEF] THIEF

View PostBotCDR, on 22 June 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Not really.  It's already distributed thru torrent by default without issue, and only fools would decide to turn it on.

It's the background "automatic" torrenting when I'm trying to download something else, or stream a video elsewhere in the house, or video chat that would grind my gears.

This is less of a big deal than it's being made out to be, but can still be an annoyance for very many customers.  If they're going to offer something like this to make their own bottom line better and make the experience better for their other customers there should at least be a deliberate opt-in and some kind of compensation

Oh, I took it as a default to help others get the d/l quicker since they are closer to you (the way torrents work = faster d/l time)​

So if you are running WoWP, not just have the default launch screen open, but be in the actual "in hanger" mode, and with that check box, you're subject to the "seeding"

Just thought it was a cheap way of WoWP getting less d/l bandwidth from their servers, and putting it on the players who have that box checked

I know from experience when I'm d/l a torrent while I'm playing the game, my ping is over 200 and the game is unplayable.

So I usually just wait until the torrent d/l before I even launch WoWP

That's my take on it anyways. I don't think there's would be much different since they are allowing port 6881 to always be open (peer2​peer tracker)

And as far as compensation, you know what you will get in return....:P

BrushWolf #12 Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostBotCDR, on 22 June 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostBotCDR, on 22 June 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

This is less of a big deal than it's being made out to be, but can still be an annoyance for very many customers.  If they're going to offer something like this to make their own bottom line better and make the experience better for their other customers there should at least be a deliberate opt-in and some kind of compensation.

It is not turned on by default and if the priorities are set right you will never notice if you do turn it on. For you folks on big internet pipes it probably will make no difference either way but this could be a big help to those that have slower internet speeds particularly when a very large patch comes out.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

pyantoryng #13 Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1729 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 23 June 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

It is not turned on by default and if the priorities are set right you will never notice if you do turn it on. For you folks on big internet pipes it probably will make no difference either way but this could be a big help to those that have slower internet speeds particularly when a very large patch comes out.

...and those short on disc space too...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Innokenty #14 Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2504 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

It's dumb and most of all it DOESN'T WORK.

On all three games (WoWp, WoT, WoWs) I get the error message that the updates can't find the WG update server. Every update I have to reinstall since they did this.

Just deleted it in each folder....really poor use of time and resources on their part....just dumb.

dark.png

Also tagged with launcher, updates, automatic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users