PSA - Windows 10 countdown deadline - Information

Windows10

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

Something I found on the WG's RU tech support site discussing Windows 10 software.

Block Quote

Driver Updates for Windows 8

Dear players!

Some video card manufacturers stopped making driver updates for Windows 8. This is due to the completion of Windows 8 support cycle and the desire to translate the Microsoft user on Windows 8.1 / 10.

What you need to do:

• Check whether the site of your video card manufacturer's current drivers for Windows 8.
  • If this version of the drivers on the website is not, update your operating system to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Ru WG tech support announcement site source link

Now some of us pilots have discuss the situation here 

Countdown Clock for how many days left until Windows 10 upgrade deadline

Since WGNA has not talked about the subject, I thought I would let all know on our community about the subject. You may have gotten a Windows 10 upgrade notification recently.

Now I myself have upgraded to Windows 10. It was a pain because it is something new, however I have noticed an enhancement performance as a result of the upgrade. For one I am not bothered by background applications such as launchers taking over my CPU resources as it did in Windows 7. The Windows 10 platform seems a better balance in operating in that regards. 

At first as I said before, Windows 10 was annoying. Why? Newness in operating. One of the things Windows wants you to do is open a Microsoft profile account to get the full benefits of Windows 10 software, however you don't need to go that route. I am doing fine with very little annoyances. I still get new application suggestions, but those are easy in click not to suggest and it removes the notice.

You will have to schedule the Microsoft Defender software for normal scans. You may have to pin some apps to your taskbar for ease of use.

Games wise with all my games I have not noticed any hiccups to note here. The games do seen to function flawlessly. I did run into a problem in trying to delete an empty folder, but that is something I am still looking into. It seems a common Windows 10 file index function problem. However, this situation is not killing the system or when playing games.

To give deadline specifics:

• You have until July 29, 2016
  • The free upgrade will not be extended beyond the deadline
  • Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts
  • There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it
  • You do not automatically have free Microsoft tech support after you upgrade to Windows 10

If you decide that the Windows 10 upgrade is not for you, you have 2 months from the date of Windows 10 installation to rollback fully to Windows 7/8. After the two months you are stuck with Windows 10. Granted now based on the upgrade deadline this is not an issue.

A Web estimated current pricing to upgrade Windows 10 after July 29'th is $119.99 for a home system. How true? IDK. Business systems have a different pricing schema.

Overall I am having a better experience with Windows 10 than I expected. In someways it seems faster and less annoying when previous released. The notifications and the suggestions are annoying, but easy to rectified.

I give Windows 10 a thumbs up :great:

Sources
http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-happens-free-windows-10-upgrades-after-july-29-2016/
http://betanews.com/2016/02/02/how-much-will-windows-10-cost-at-the-end-of-the-free-upgrade-period/

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 21 June 2016 - 02:18 PM.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

Jaguardian #2 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 19578 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
As far as Windows 10 goes for me and this game.  I have had no problems with Windows 10 and running this game on it since I have upgraded.  Fraps took a dive but I really didn't spend much time to see if I could get it working since I have learned how to use the Nvidia Shadowplay.  Not sure when the last time Fraps was even updated.

cqiyuan #3 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

• 12718 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Windows 10 sucks for me as I was stucked at the NOV update (built 10240) 

FlakValleyExpress #4 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View PostJaguardian, on 21 June 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

As far as Windows 10 goes for me and this game.  I have had no problems with Windows 10 and running this game on it since I have upgraded.  Fraps took a dive but I really didn't spend much time to see if I could get it working since I have learned how to use the Nvidia Shadowplay.  Not sure when the last time Fraps was even updated.

The last Fraps update was  26th February 2013 - Fraps 3.5.99. Fraps is not supported fully in Windows 10. It won't record your desktop apps or your Win tile apps, but it does fine with games that use OpenGL or DirectXas noted below.

With every video card they have their own recording software. I have AMD, so I have Plays.TV software.

Windows 10 themselves have a a game recording software and a desktop capture software. The last one look like a FRAPS replacement.

Windows +G key

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 21 June 2016 - 02:44 PM.

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

FlakValleyExpress #5 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View Postcqiyuan, on 21 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Windows 10 sucks for me as I was stucked at the NOV update (built 10240) 

FYI it looks like WG support is asking players to upgrade to Windows 10. This maybe a new requirement for the future. Best to be prepared.

RedSpartacus #6 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17105 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 21 June 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

FYI it looks like WG support is asking players to upgrade to Windows 10. This maybe a new requirement for the future. Best to be prepared.

Hopefully the 64 bit version.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

empyreal_recon #7 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 18706 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
24 Hour Technology Information livestream  http://live.twit.tv/ it has helped me since windows95
((( So Far So Good So What )))

DragonMaxx #8 Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5835 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I upgraded to Windows 10 back in September and I haven't had any issues with it. 

Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons...for You are Crunchy & Good with Ketchup!!

TeamTerrible #9 Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 44629 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I went with upgrades to 10 and swapped the hard drive out and back to win7

Currently looking into Linux to avoid using win 10

Chuck_norris10 #10 Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20807 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Go back to win7 easily. I did win10 for a week,nothing but bsod's and video scheduler internal errors and I am not the only one who had problems.

http://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-or-8.1/

Vanize #11 Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

• 16563 battles

I switched to windows 10 on my gaming machine not long after it became available. I had some teething issues - almost all of which had to be solved by completely uninstalling all important software and also drivers for peripherals i added to my machine and then freshly reinstalling all of these. Since that process was completed, Windows 10 has actually run very well for me and has been exceptionally stable - even more so than Windows 7, which i was long devoted to. I have significantly reduced problems with WoWP since going to 10 and reinstalling the drivers for my GPU - I get a crash going into a battle about once every 100-200 games instead of once every 10-20... which is to say an order of magnitude fewer crashes. Also I think my FPS in game went up by about 20%.

The only 2 issues i have remaining are:

1. the one noted above, which is just the 'newness' factor (i still think some of their UI decisions are rather daft)

2. the damned thing automatically wakes up every night to run various system tasks and then doesn't go back to sleep. This is the one SUPER aggrivating part about it, as i can find no solution to this - lots of complaints about it on the web, and then only solution that seems to really work is a hack where you have a task run every 10 minutes to disable the auto-wake-up function, which seems to turn itself back on magically every time you manually turn it off. Short of doing that, (which i deem pointless), i just prefer to power off my system at night now.

As someone working with software for a living, it is my opinion that windows 10 is unduly vilified. while i agree windows 7 was better in some ways (and decidedly inferior in others), it is now officially too old to continue going forward with for many reasons, especially cyber security. The majority of he problems people have with the windows 10 upgrade is the conflict between the platform's windows 7 drivers and installs and the attempt to get those same installs to work in 10. just dump the old versions of anything you are having problems with (including Chrome, Firefox, WoWP, and your GPU drivers) and install fresh and give your brain 5 weeks to get used to the change, and most likely you'll find windows 10 better than you expected.

Edited by Vanize, 21 June 2016 - 04:33 PM.

Chuck_norris10 #12 Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20807 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Microsoft says to roll back the intel drivers to make it work.I have left win7 on for months with not a single problem.When win10 went to sleep mode it either came back with a video scheduler error or not at all and then it takes 3 minutes to load everything where my win7 takes seconds.

I dont think I ever saw a BSOD on WIN7.I am running top of the line asus with very few programs as this is my gamer.I sure did not need more accounts and passwords,dropboxes and clouds.

Omega_Weapon #13 Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

• 10166 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
Since switching to Windows 10 I have had only one recurring problem. Several times per day the computer suddenly reverts to desk top in the middle of my game (happens to both Warplanes and Tanks). I can switch back in about 5 seconds, but it always happens a second time about 45 seconds after the first one. Super annoying and if it happens at a critical moment in a dog fight or when I am flying near the ground, I come back just in time to see my plane explode. 

FlakValleyExpress #14 Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 21 June 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

Since switching to Windows 10 I have had only one recurring problem. Several times per day the computer suddenly reverts to desk top in the middle of my game (happens to both Warplanes and Tanks). I can switch back in about 5 seconds, but it always happens a second time about 45 seconds after the first one. Super annoying and if it happens at a critical moment in a dog fight or when I am flying near the ground, I come back just in time to see my plane explode. 

Does this happen at the same time in the day? It could be a schedule task kicking off. I know I have a problem with my virus scan.

KloudRains #15 Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Master Sergeant

• 29661 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

"Since switching to Windows 10 I have had only one recurring problem. Several times per day the computer suddenly reverts to desk top in the middle of my game (happens to both Warplanes and Tanks). I can switch back in about 5 seconds, but it always happens a second time about 45 seconds after the first one. Super annoying and if it happens at a critical moment in a dog fight or when I am flying near the ground, I come back just in time to see my plane explode."

I get the same symptoms seemingly about every five minutes. Mine is accompanied by a very brief window opening and closing in the upper-left screen corner. That window is the Command Prompt in operation. Maybe a dozen lines appear in whatever process is run and the window closes before I can read it or click on it. An on line search has found nothing quite the same and no effective cure.

losttwo #16 Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I have been using 10 since I cant remember when. I like it and it works well.

Omega_Weapon #17 Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

• 10166 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 21 June 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Does this happen at the same time in the day? It could be a schedule task kicking off. I know I have a problem with my virus scan.

​I haven't noticed the particular times so I'll take notes for future reference. I know that when it happens though (twice in a row within 1 minute), it won't happen again for 2 or 3 hours.

Chuck_norris10 #18 Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20807 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 22 June 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

​I haven't noticed the particular times so I'll take notes for future reference. I know that when it happens though (twice in a row within 1 minute), it won't happen again for 2 or 3 hours.

If you only had it for 30 days you can go back with a click of the mouse and the microsoft forum is abuzz with folks having their machines rendered totally useless by win10.

Like WG,they rolled out a product that was not thoroughly tested for compatibility.

If it works for you,fine but if you want your old OS back it only takes a couple clicks.

ArrowZ_ #19 Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 9005 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 22 June 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

View PostKloudRains, on 22 June 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

"Since switching to Windows 10 I have had only one recurring problem. Several times per day the computer suddenly reverts to desk top in the middle of my game (happens to both Warplanes and Tanks). I can switch back in about 5 seconds, but it always happens a second time about 45 seconds after the first one. Super annoying and if it happens at a critical moment in a dog fight or when I am flying near the ground, I come back just in time to see my plane explode."

I get the same symptoms seemingly about every five minutes. Mine is accompanied by a very brief window opening and closing in the upper-left screen corner. That window is the Command Prompt in operation. Maybe a dozen lines appear in whatever process is run and the window closes before I can read it or click on it. An on line search has found nothing quite the same and no effective cure.

Alright I've got a possible fix for you two. You guys need to get familiar with Windows 10 "Event Viewer" - Link included. Just follow the steps. Or you can simply type Event Viewer on the bottom right search bar.

1. Leave it open while you play WOWP/surf whatever.

2. Check your "Log Summary" & "Windows Log" for any suspicious/repetitive behaviours. I guarantee any CMD pop ups will be recorded there.

3. Keep your task manager up or on the side. Run WOWP in windowed if you have to. This way you'll see a spike in the processes every time cmd pops up.

4. Once you found the problem delete that crap from event viewer = problem solved

Now the basic reasoning behind this issue is related to 2 main possibilities:

• A scheduled task is running in the background of your windows (as flak already mentioned). This is a pain in the [edited]to diagnose because you don't know what it is or what app you assigned this scheduled task to occur in the first place. This is what happened to me a couple of months ago. And I fixed it using event viewer.
  • Or you simply have a virus/keylogger hiding in your PC undetectable by your current anti-virus. My only suggestion here is to run your OS in safe mode and run a full scan. If it gets picked up during that thorough scan, then you've found the problem. If not well... You're just going to have to reformat your entire system.

If you don't have an anti-virus software on your system, you can use a free one: https://www.malwarebytes.com/ - this was suggested alot in my time searching about this issue. Most of the CMD pop up problems were fixed using this.

This was my problem:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/14383-empty-command-window-popping-up-disappearing.html

Here are other similar cases:

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/37589-command-prompt-keeps-popping-up-randomly-any-help-appreciated.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/command-prompt-keeps-popping-up/a159fb0a-da19-41c9-8d1f-4b53b649da4e

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=608335

Good luck fixing this you 2. Hope it works. It did for me.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Chuck_norris10 #20 Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20807 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Seems I am not the only one who hated win10. Some have even sued for loss of their computers and lots have not even been able to log in since the highly invasive upgrade.Considering that It upgraded on my totally clean test computer with win7 I am now thinking of going back to my pc guy and asking for a whole clean install because even after going back to win7 I am still having problems.Hope someone launches a class action for loss of data soon,I will be all in if so.

http://www.infoworld...t-their-ok.html

Also tagged with Windows10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users