A6M5 vs Ki-88

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

RedSpartacus #1 Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

I was grinding the 30K for the Mustang mission the KI-88 is the clear winner for me.

RUN WITH THE PACK

RedSpartacus #2 Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

The days before:

RUN WITH THE PACK

Pogo68 #3 Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

A6M5.

I don't like paper airplanes as in reality they seldom ever functioned as well as they were expected to.

Most never made it past the paper stage.

And even more were discarded in the prototype phase when their performance fell short of expectation, sometimes short of the plane they were supposed to be replacing.

In the case of the Ki-88, it never even got to the prototype phase because it's expected performance was so poor it was not worth building.

Already a warning sign that once it reached it's prototype form it would be even worse, especially once things like guns, ammunition were added.

Edited by Pogo68, 20 June 2016 - 05:17 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Steel_bomber_ #4 Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The A6M5 is a real good plane, you must use it in a wrong way.

It is the plane I have the highest win rate in I guess.

Oops wrong plane, I am talking about A5M......my bad.

Edited by Steel_bomber_, 20 June 2016 - 05:11 PM.

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

Pogo68 #5 Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostSteel_bomber_, on 20 June 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

The A6M5 is a real good plane, you must use it in a wrong way.

It is the plane I have the highest win rate in I guess.

Oops wrong plane, I am talking about A5M......my bad.

It's a good plane,

Right now my Kill/Death ratio with it is above 3 - 1, the only plane in it's tier that I do better with is the P-47B.

Though it will probably surpass that when the pilot skills actually kick in.

Edited by Pogo68, 20 June 2016 - 05:22 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Vanize #6 Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

the A6M1 is a good plane - first plane i ever managed to rock in this game... tho apparently i suck in it now as the last few days have revealed. but i think i still have more aces in this plane than any other

the A6M2 was also good to me for a while, but it was not as brilliant at tier as the M1

I have ALWAYS hated the A6M5 - totally outclassed in tier (as it was in real life)

TheBog11 #7 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostPogo68, on 20 June 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

A6M5.

I don't like paper airplanes as in reality they seldom ever functioned as well as they were expected to.

Most never made it past the paper stage.

And even more were discarded in the prototype phase when their performance fell short of expectation, sometimes short of the plane they were supposed to be replacing.

In the case of the Ki-88, it never even got to the prototype phase because it's expected performance was so poor it was not worth building.

Already a warning sign that once it reached it's prototype form it would be even worse, especially once things like guns, ammunition were added.

The A6M5 was most definitely not a "paper" airplane. It saw extensive service in 1944-1945.

Now, "paper" in the sense that it was a fairly fragile plane - sure. But it's worth mentioning that the Zeros before the A6M5 were even more fragile and prone to catching fire. The A6M5 introduced armor plate and bulletproof glass - it just wasn't on par with Allied fighters.

pyantoryng #8 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2234 battles

View PostTheBog11, on 20 June 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

The A6M5 was most definitely not a "paper" airplane. It saw extensive service in 1944-1945.

Now, "paper" in the sense that it was a fairly fragile plane - sure. But it's worth mentioning that the Zeros before the A6M5 were even more fragile and prone to catching fire. The A6M5 introduced armor plate and bulletproof glass - it just wasn't on par with Allied fighters.

Altitude band dealt the last blow...the end.

When the guns sound changed...down went the A6M5...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Gang_Starr #9 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

Captain

• 2 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

I really like both planes but the Ki-88 is better. Way better.

The Ki-88 has a higher carry potential because of its ability to go higher up vertically while still turning pretty well.

The way I see it the Ki-88 is a more maneuverable, harder hitting 109F at a slightly lower altitude band. It is also a hard counter to the I-210. If you ever see somebody you don't like flying the I-210 switch to your Ki-88 and ruin their day lol.

Edited by Gang_Starr, 20 June 2016 - 07:48 PM.

Tenks

BrushWolf #10 Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
The A6M1 is my Japanese albatross over all. Saturday was pure hell for me, 39% W/R while collecting 1/2 of the 30K. Sunday was the exact opposite, 69% W/R. Both numbers are way off from my average,  I was a potato on Sat & a pilot god on Sun, go figure.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

WanderingGhost #11 Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Aside from lopsided bot matches where you can't dodge and fight 8 enemy aircraft as the last man standing, the A6M's are still good. The problem, as someone who has loved playing them and are some of my best aircraft, is that the alterations to [edited]gun performance and the new terribad damage system have crippled the mid tier aircraft in particular. This entire line has always been designed around it's mobility, it survives by not being there to hit it and being able to turn hard enough that the enemy can't draw a lead. The problem with that is -

- The new system makes it idiotically easy for a stray cannon round to cripple mobility

- Cannons were made that much more powerful at damaging module and at tier 6, thats all many planes have/use

- Ammo that further increases module damage chance, and now even skills that do that further improving the odss of taking out the one means of survival the plane has

- These new screwball skills, upgrades and consumables that have made it that the one thing IJN had even over RU fighters is basically gone because some of those planes now can beat IJN in a turn fight, on top of god knows what changes I may have missed.

That and back when weapons had HISTORICAL RATES OF FIRE, you know, that weird attention to history thing this game used to do that drew some of us to play it, the A6M's had 20 mm's that could compete with any of the other nations, and could deal a fair amount of damage in that short burst you might get at an enemy using BnZ on you. Now, they at MINIMUM have about 40 rpm lower fire rate than any other 20 mm at that tier. Which makes a much bigger difference when your talking 360 vs 400/420 with these outrageously high overheat times against what it used to be which was around 700, possibly the 720 of the later models (not the one listed in the tech tree) vs anywhere from 7-800.

The A6M's can still be good aircraft, the M5 has always had it rougher because of it's tier and some of the MM it's had in the past. I remember having to fight 262's in it, and by fight I mean take a hit and be blown apart. But it used to be if a F4U for some insane reason engaged me in a turning fight at about 200 meters, he payed for it rather quickly because the 20 mm cannons used to eat away at HP along with the MG's. Now they overheat before any real damage can get done.

The way this now joke of a game is going their going to have to give the Zekes even more HP to really stay competitive - because of the Mustang missions its the first in a while I'm seeing people really use the IJN planes, hell even the bots barely use them.

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

Pogo68 #12 Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostTheBog11, on 20 June 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

I was referring to the KI-88.

That existed only on paper and as a mockup.

It was abandoned because the projected performance was minimally better than the KI-61 which already in production.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP

Pogo68 #13 Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostWanderingGhost, on 20 June 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

Aside from lopsided bot matches where you can't dodge and fight 8 enemy aircraft as the last man standing, the A6M's are still good. The problem, as someone who has loved playing them and are some of my best aircraft, is that the alterations to [edited]gun performance and the new terribad damage system have crippled the mid tier aircraft in particular. This entire line has always been designed around it's mobility, it survives by not being there to hit it and being able to turn hard enough that the enemy can't draw a lead. The problem with that is -

That's where I run into problems with the A6M5 at this point

Against human pilots I can hold my own, winning maybe 4 or 5 1v1 fights, (drops to 1 or 2 when flying 1 v 2 humans)

Against the bots, I'm having to fight 1 v 4+ and downing 1-2 before getting buried in enemy fighters.

It's difficult to keep the guns on target long enough because I'm having to break off and defend against two or more bots that are lining up a shot.

Edited by Pogo68, 22 June 2016 - 05:21 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP

MagusGerhardt #14 Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Oh, you guys.  Here, Strongbad's gonna help me with this one.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

TheBog11 #15 Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:11 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostPogo68, on 20 June 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

I was referring to the KI-88.

That existed only on paper and as a mockup.

It was abandoned because the projected performance was minimally better than the KI-61 which already in production.

Gotcha, I misread you. You are definitely right on this point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users