Defensive Fire (skill)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

GiN_nTonic #1 Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:01 PM

Captain

• 231 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

From what i've seen, defensive fire works for a GA regardless if you are outside the range of rear tail-gunner fire....   shouldn't it only apply if (1) the fighter is actively FIRING (not just targeted) by the tail-gunner and (2) that specific fighter is shooting?

Right now this perk seems to apply even if you are just targeted....which basically gives the GA 30% more hit points overall.

Edited by JlNN, 19 June 2016 - 11:02 PM.

Porkins_Jr #2 Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Yes and I love it. GA planes have been continually nerfed. Glad these new skills provide a way to get some of it back.

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 19 June 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Yes and I love it. GA planes have been continually nerfed. Glad these new skills provide a way to get some of it back.

This.  I don't see the need to both remove the attack aircraft's outgoing damage *and* nullify skill points chosen with the old trick of "target me, then I'm gonna fly over here outside of your firing arc".

Honestly all aircraft with rear gunners should get a "focus fire" ability like the secondaries on battleships and cruisers in Warships.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

GiN_nTonic #4 Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:45 AM

Captain

• 231 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 19 June 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

This.  I don't see the need to both remove the attack aircraft's outgoing damage *and* nullify skill points chosen with the old trick of "target me, then I'm gonna fly over here outside of your firing arc".

Honestly all aircraft with rear gunners should get a "focus fire" ability like the secondaries on battleships and cruisers in Warships.

I'm all for allowing the rear tail-gunner to target a plane and not lose that plane only due to it being outside the fire arc.

...but the skill I am referencing makes it so the plane that happens to be shooting at the GA gets an artificial 30% nerf to its weapons just because the rear tail-gunner has that plane targeted (although the description says "firing", but its not working that way).  30% is a huge number, and so if the game comes down to you and a GA player its basically giving the GA player 30% more hit points the way the game seems to work right now.

Edited by JlNN, 20 June 2016 - 01:48 AM.

losttwo #5 Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:57 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I would suggest running some training room tests.

Find a person with the skill and another with out the skill ( same GA )

Run separate test while you are flying the same plane and check the skills effectiveness.

Also run a test using 2 non GA planes versus a GA with the skill and with out the skill.

I would run the tests myself but my training room still crashes with a thermal overload when I have other humans in it.

Edited by losttwo, 20 June 2016 - 01:58 AM.

Texthor #6 Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 19 June 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

I would suggest running some training room tests.

Find a person with the skill and another with out the skill ( same GA )

Run separate test while you are flying the same plane and check the skills effectiveness.

Also run a test using 2 non GA planes versus a GA with the skill and with out the skill.

I would run the tests myself but my training room still crashes with a thermal overload when I have other humans in it.

It really takes NO skill...............

losttwo #7 Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

OK I will fill in the blank for you

...........for WG to snafu WOWP each patch.

Vanize #8 Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

• 0 battles

View PostJlNN, on 19 June 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

I'm all for allowing the rear tail-gunner to target a plane and not lose that plane only due to it being outside the fire arc.

...but the skill I am referencing makes it so the plane that happens to be shooting at the GA gets an artificial 30% nerf to its weapons just because the rear tail-gunner has that plane targeted (although the description says "firing", but its not working that way).  30% is a huge number, and so if the game comes down to you and a GA player its basically giving the GA player 30% more hit points the way the game seems to work right now.

even if this is the way it works (not convinced, but could be), it wouldn't call this unrealistic. In real life, the very existence of tail gunners forces attacking aircraft to be more cautious on any attack run. just knowing you have guns aimed at you affects most pilots performance.

I agree this is pretty huge for a 1 on 1 GA vs fighter situation tho.

Texthor #9 Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

• 7 battles
By now.......No One should be surprised at the depths World of Flying Tanks will go to make sure the flying T34 wins..........

Porkins_Jr #10 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

By now.......No One should be surprised at the depths World of Flying Tanks will go to make sure the flying T34 wins..........

Tex...they have upped the hp but made GA planes weaker in every patch until, finally, the new one with some good TG skills.

GA planes are not overpowered they are weaker than they were way back.

Quesnel #11 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Too bad your actions can't back up your empty claims.

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yeah, just like you did that one time....oh wait....

Edited by Quesnel, 20 June 2016 - 07:18 PM.

Texthor #12 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

• 7 battles

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 20 June 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Tex...they have upped the hp but made GA planes weaker in every patch until, finally, the new one with some good TG skills.

GA planes are not overpowered they are weaker than they were way back.

Pork...with all due respect....I see the mighty IL continue to make ace on a daily basis and whats more there are usually 2 left at the end of most games.  I have seen NO changes when it comes to T7-T8 IL's (aka T34).   Want to talk about nerfs.....mention LF

Quesnel #13 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

Want to talk about nerfs.....mention LF

I read this and loaded up the game, played my Mustang D (there are a lot of players who claimed this plane has been heavily, if not over-nerfed), which I haven't played in months (last year, can't remember exactly when) and pulled this off....

Spoiler

Gang_Starr #14 Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

Captain

• 2 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Lel

Tenks

Jaguardian #15 Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

• 206 battles

View PostTexthor, on 20 June 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Pork...with all due respect....I see the mighty IL continue to make ace on a daily basis and whats more there are usually 2 left at the end of most games.  I have seen NO changes when it comes to T7-T8 IL's (aka T34).   Want to talk about nerfs.....mention LF

The mighty IL continue to do what they do because of stupidity on either the bots or players chasing the IL to try to kill it.  An IL can be difficult to kill, but it is also easy.  In the community clan wars coming up, watch how useless GA are to the point they wont even be used in matches and if they are watch their unsuccessful contribution.  Until GA are viable in competitive team battles, I consider them weak.  If they are so mighty as you say, why will no team use them as well as win with them in the community clan wars?  I would love for a clan to prove me wrong but up to this point, I believe that no team with a GA on the roster has won a competitive team battle. - Does not include team battles that required a GA on both teams.

ubeahurtin #16 Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Defensive fire skill is a counter to Raptor skill. What's the big deal? Can't have things all one way. The GA's need some love, too. 

Seems like I recall one-shot killing one of the posters in this thread (more than once) while flying my GA. If he's reading it, please take this as it's meant, a kind word of advice/help. Don't fly straight! Put a little zig in your zag and the big bad GA won't hit you in the poop chute so hard like that.

Edited by ubeahurtin, 20 June 2016 - 09:05 PM.

Porkins_Jr #17 Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postubeahurtin, on 20 June 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

Defensive fire skill is a counter to Raptor skill. What's the big deal? Can't have things all one way. The GA's need some love, too. 

Seems like I recall one-shot killing one of the posters in this thread (more than once) while flying my GA. If he's reading it, please take this as it's meant, a kind word of advice/help. Don't fly straight! Put a little zig in your zag and the big bad GA won't hit you in the poop chute so hard like that.

:D

Texthor #18 Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

• 7 battles

View Postubeahurtin, on 20 June 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

How quaint you remember so much about me.....never heard of you or seen your name till now.     But...I am glad you found your NO skill required plane if true........

Quesnel #19 Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostTexthor, on 21 June 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

How quaint you remember so much about me.....never heard of you or seen your name till now.     But...I am glad you found your NO skill required plane if true........

Hard to forget a name that beats the same drum over and over and....

MagusGerhardt #20 Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 20 June 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

Hard to forget a name that beats the same drum over and over and....

Agreed.  Am I the only one that is amused by this alleged pilot's continued demands that ILs be made easier to kill, since he has such difficulty with them?

After all, having seen what the pilot in question can do his demand should be "It should take NO SKILL to shoot down an IL."  Then he might be happy.

Well, until something else comes along that presents a modicum of difficulty.  (A modicum is a very small amount, saved you a trip to Google.  You're welcome.)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users