Well my computer is most likely screwed

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Psicko23 #1 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Last night I got a blue screen of death saying page fault in non paged areas. I went on Tom's hardware to check it out. I tried something that worked for someone else, but made it worse. Now my computer won't turn on, it just cycles on and off. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I'm going to be out of the game until it gets resolved. Bad timing for the missions on the plane. 

RedSpartacus #2 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17318 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Based on your description I think you're not a hardware expert. Grab your computer and take it to one of the PC repair shops (not the shops that are selling new computers !).

These guys can help you quickly and also offer pre-owned spare parts for little money.

For a few bucks you can buy missing missions.

RUN WITH THE PACK

losttwo #3 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Yeah. What is going on is that it is cycling on and off with a page default or semtex error on the hard drive

Solution is to evacuate and blow in place.....

or take it to the gun range.

Edited by losttwo, 16 June 2016 - 11:33 AM.

Steel_bomber_ #4 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 15733 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
It could be a memory problem?
THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

DragonMaxx #5 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6031 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I work in the IS department of a large hospital and to diagnosis this I would take your system down to basic components.  By that I mean remove all plug in cards like sound cards and video cards (unless you do not have on-board video), disconnect all hard drives but the boot drive, disconnect CD/DVD drive, and remove all memory but 1 bank of memory.  See if it boots and if you get any beeps.  If your system boots up then add 1 component back and see if it boots.  Keep doing this until you can reproduce the error.  

Edited by DragonMaxx, 16 June 2016 - 11:56 AM.

Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons...for You are Crunchy & Good with Ketchup!!

Psicko23 #6 Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Nope, IM not a computer expert at all. I built this computer just about a year ago. Im smart enough to put it together and that's about it. I looked on Toms hardware and most of them pointed to a memory issue, but when I tried to solve it, I think I made it worse. After checking the ram memory sticks the next boot up attempt was the cycling on and off.

Dragonmaxx, thanks. I just didn't want to break it even more. Ill give that a try.

Cuesta_Rey #7 Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Have you tried restarting your computer, and do you get the same message?

If so, restart your computer and before it reboots to the error message screen, press F8 to take you to BIOS. From there, select the "start using the last known good settings" option.

If that doesn't work, try booting into safe mode, and restoring back to a previous save point using system restore.

If that doesn't work, boot into safe mode and run chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors in your hard drive. To run chkdsk you will need to go to the start menu, click "run", then type in cmd for the command screen. Once there, type chkdsk to run checkdisk.

If it finds an error, start command screen again, this time type in chkdsk/f to fix the problem with your hard drive.

If none of this will work, it is most likely faulty RAM.

If all of this is too confusing, take your computer to a reliable repair shop. They should (for free) diagnose the problem and provide a quote to repair. From there, decide whether it is worth fixing or buy new.  

Psicko23 #8 Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Double spook-

Yes, I tried restarting it to same effect I tried start using last known good settings, nothing. I tried safe mode, wouldn't let me onto the computer at all. Checked my ram per suggestions at tomshardware.com forum. That resulted me in having my power cycle on and off. I went through like dragonmaxx suggested and tried with each stick of ram. It wouldn't boot up at all. however I somehow fixed the power cycling on and off. Retried all the previous steps to no avail. Unless both of my sticks of Ram is bad, which might be a possibility. I don't have any sticks of ram laying around to verify.

Edited by Psicko23, 16 June 2016 - 01:22 PM.

Cuesta_Rey #9 Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostPsicko23, on 16 June 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Double spook-

Yes, I tried restarting it to same effect I tried start using last known good settings, nothing. I tried safe mode, wouldn't let me onto the computer at all. Checked my ram per suggestions at tomshardware.com forum. That resulted me in having my power cycle on and off. I went through like dragonmaxx suggested and tried with each stick of ram. It wouldn't boot up at all. however I somehow fixed the power cycling on and off. Retried all the previous steps to no avail. Unless both of my sticks of Ram is bad, which might be a possibility. I don't have any sticks of ram laying around to verify.

The power cycling on and off has me stumped. Makes me wonder if something else is going on. Is your hard drive solid state or mechanical disk?

Bubba_Zanetti #10 Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28336 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdoublespook, on 16 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

The power cycling on and off has me stumped. Makes me wonder if something else is going on. Is your hard drive solid state or mechanical disk?

and which version of Windows?

MARS_REVENANT #11 Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

Major

• 32919 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

I would suggest purchasing a new computer and plugging it into the same location as your old computer.  Use the same power outlets, network cable, monitor cables.... everything.  If the new computer boots up with no issues, you know the problem was with your old computer.

JK.

I had similar issues with my wife's laptop, without knowing the BSOD error code for your situation, I cant be sure, but the problem I had was a bad harddrive.  I gave her my laptop and built a gaming PC for myself.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Psicko23 #12 Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Double Spook-cycling issue is taken care of. 

Bubba Z- windows 7. I can't remember which model

Marco- the error said Page fault in non paged areas. 

Cuesta_Rey #13 Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

It seems unlikely to me that both sticks of RAM would go bad at the same time.

Have you had any lightning storms or power outages/surges lately. Am wondering if something happened to your motherboard

Bubba_Zanetti #14 Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28336 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Maybe not related, but some years ago I found xp systems rebooting on startup, or general startup issues, that most times I could fix by running  chkdsk /r from command prompt via a bootable cd/Windows cd.

if you could get/create hirens cd or ultimate boot cd from another system, you could run various diags on your hardware.  Even try a Linux live cd distro to see if it is hardware or just corrupted Windows.

x_WARHOG_x #15 Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 29700 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 16 June 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

Maybe not related, but some years ago I found xp systems rebooting on startup, or general startup issues, that most times I could fix by running  chkdsk /r from command prompt via a bootable cd/Windows cd.

if you could get/create hirens cd or ultimate boot cd from another system, you could run various diags on your hardware.  Even try a Linux live cd distro to see if it is hardware or just corrupted Windows.

Best I can offer is this: https://msdn.microso...y/ms854882.aspx but seems Bubba may be on to something........

Sneaking up on your six.....................

Cuesta_Rey #16 Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6491 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 16 June 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

Why is it we always think to create a bootable CD only after we need it and cannot create it because our computer crashed? Same thing with restore points. Been there and done that. More than once (to my shame). But he definitely needs one to run chkdsk.

I have a mom and pop computer shop I use to fix things I either cannot, or am too lazy to fix. It's cheap compared to what it can cost me in time and aggravation.

FlakValleyExpress #17 Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

Captain

• 11950 battles

Try disconnect one item at a time like DVD or CD or extra USB drives or Sata HD connections. You will need your drive with the OS connected. Eliminate one item at a time. How is your power settings too? 

My suggestion is to borrow another video card to use. The Mighty Jingles had something like this hit his system and killed it because of a bad video card.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 16 June 2016 - 03:30 PM.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

losttwo #18 Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

When and if you get it up and running.

Stop opening those " official " looking FBI e-mails that tell you 

that you have a large junk of money waiting in the Federal Depository.

I swear those are the funniest e-mails I get.

Porkins_Jr #19 Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Sounds like what happened to me a few months back. Bad hard drive. I bought a new solid state one that was bigger and much, much faster. Rest of the computer was fine.

Vanize #20 Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 16886 battles
Sounds like motherboard issues if it isn't memory (which it still could be). Or your hard drive, or the video card - really no telling with the info given. i can help to some extent (i've put together and taken apart hundreds of PCs, and repaired dozens), but would need to at least be on the phone with you to diagnose at all. Even then, i bet my final statement is that you are going to need a new motherboard. PM me if you want detailed help, but it'll be the weekend before i have free time to spend on the phone.

Edited by Vanize, 16 June 2016 - 03:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users