Cancelled: I only play clam wars anymore-- someone else can do these guides.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SkywhaleExpress #1 Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Cancelled: I only play during clan wars anymore... I'll leave rocket guides to those who play pubbie matches still

Edited by SkywhaleExpress, 30 July 2016 - 03:29 AM.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Zapperguy #2 Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 31424 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Alex,

If I understand your original thread correctly, the distances could best be used in game in a scenario as follows: You are following the enemy and you and the enemy are traveling in the same line at the same speed.

In that case, the distances should be pretty accurate if I understand you right. All other angles and approaches would need to be "worked out".

Also could you maybe put a date near the ones you update with the current mechanic?

Thanks.

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

SkywhaleExpress #3 Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostZapperguy, on 08 June 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

Alex,

If I understand your original thread correctly, the distances could best be used in game in a scenario as follows: You are following the enemy and you and the enemy are traveling in the same line at the same speed.

In that case, the distances should be pretty accurate if I understand you right. All other angles and approaches would need to be "worked out".

Also could you maybe put a date near the ones you update with the current mechanic?

Thanks.

:honoring:

I will do. And yes, the chasing ones and head on will likely be very close... Except for the US ones that got nerfed again.

MIA - pappabear

Psicko23 #4 Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Sweet! thanks for doing the updates for the rocket info.

SystemRename_999888 #5 Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22885 battles

View PostSkywhaleExpress, on 08 June 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

It used to be a set distance (back in closed beta) and then they added a slight sway/spiral/dispersion effect, AND a +/- distance RNG calculation to when they exploded. Now, all rockets have a 2-5 second flight time (2-3 sec for R4M/similar size, 3-4 for M8/RS82/similar, 4-5 for Tiny Tim) and then a +/- 0.2 (zero point two) second RNG timer on the decision when it detonates AFTER it flew the minimum flight time.

No.  It was actually always like that, it just wasn't well understood at the time and there was less RNG so it just seemed like it was consistent distance.  After there was a dev blog post explaining it, it became more clear -- perhaps this was during one of your breaks?  

If I remember right from subsequent patch notes, the RNG on detonation time was further adjusted to a normalized +/- 1 sec. RNG, which basically means you have to spam a handful now to even hope to be effective with them.  And that's even before considering things like that the bots tend to break before you get in appropriate ranges for a typical air-to-air rocket engagement.

A deeper understanding of the difference between a fad and a fashion statement will enable you to win a fashion fueled guessing game. 

SkywhaleExpress #6 Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBotCDR, on 09 June 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

No.  It was actually always like that, it just wasn't well understood at the time and there was less RNG so it just seemed like it was consistent distance.  After there was a dev blog post explaining it, it became more clear -- perhaps this was during one of your breaks?

If I remember right from subsequent patch notes, the RNG on detonation time was further adjusted to a normalized +/- 1 sec. RNG, which basically means you have to spam a handful now to even hope to be effective with them.  And that's even before considering things like that the bots tend to break before you get in appropriate ranges for a typical air-to-air rocket engagement.

Not always, but likely for a big majority of the live game. Yes, I am bringing information relevant to what that blog post said. That is where the min/max flight time and RNG +/- 0.2 seconds was released. I left the window open within the last year or so--my speculation, that is-- as to when exactly it went from distance to time. If I could dig up some of the original RNG/First Wave rocket nerf patch notes, I could specify what exactly they stated.

Also, rockets used to almost instantly hit a constant speed. Now, they start at aircraft speed and direction, then accelerate differently (each nation has a <we don't know exactly> set acceleration rate and max rocket speed) per rocket.

However, so far, the rocket ranges are roughly the same for the US/Russian rockets.

The big thing is, nobody ever had a clear knowledge and understanding of the initial velocity/acceleration and/or the min/max flight time of the rockets. This makes a huge difference in being able to [TIME] the launches instead of just guessing a distance.

Although, you may also be right. The actual flight/detonation times might have always been in seconds, and we just related it to a distance as we understood it. It was far easier to test hitting an immobile object and see if it impacts or detonates than it was to time the flight.

Now, they're giving us the min/max flight time numbers, which helps us further predict the distance at which to launch, based on said flight times and acceleration/velocities.

Thanks, as always, for your valuable input, BotCDR.

MIA - pappabear

SkywhaleExpress #7 Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 17397 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Added some of the min/max/flight times of rockets. I am reinstalling the game, so not all of the blast radius have been updated yet. All the rockets have the same initial velocity-- that of your aircraft's launch velocity. Or, as fast as you were going when you hit the R key for launching your rocket.

MIA - pappabear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users