• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #21 Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7422 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBobby_Tables, on 09 June 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

[Edit] Maybe a brilliant thought:  The Lagg 3-34 might be just the mid tier turn fighter that would benefit.  Cooling down that 37mm derp gun could be deadly!  I will let you all know.  

Thanks for the kind words, BT.  Glad to be of some help to you.

Also; Adrenaline Rush is pretty much a confirmed good use of points on a low to mid tier turnfighter, particularly the Zeros, as their 20mm cannon hit *really* hard, but also overheat *really* fast.  Being able to down an enemy and then immediately engage and use those 20mm guns against the next guy makes a big difference.  The Zero without this ability ends up with similar firepower to the Hayabusa for most of the battle, and the Hayabusa has only two machine guns in the nose.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

TwistedKestrel #22 Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11640 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU
I don't suppose anyone has compiled this kind of information in article form?
There are no bombers in the game.

MagusGerhardt #23 Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7422 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTwistedKestrel, on 14 June 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

I don't suppose anyone has compiled this kind of information in article form?

Not to my knowledge, but if it would help, I could summarize what I say in the vid for each skill, add what else I've learned since making this, and add it to the OP in text form.

Would that be helpful?  :)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

TwistedKestrel #24 Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11640 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 15 June 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Not to my knowledge, but if it would help, I could summarize what I say in the vid for each skill, add what else I've learned since making this, and add it to the OP in text form.

Would that be helpful?  :)

Very!

MagusGerhardt #25 Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7422 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTwistedKestrel, on 15 June 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Very!

Have you seen this yet, by chance?

http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/new-pilot-skills/

Bachrocks #26 Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

Senior Airman

• 8981 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

thanks for putting so much into this Magus. ive been away from the game for a couple weeks now and just downloaded 1.9.5. great tutoring through new crewskills. thanks

mkloby #27 Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9999 battles
Thanks Magus - my favorite part was your commentary on resilience... "ehhh, if that's your thing.... it could pay off"

Porkins_Jr #28 Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:48 AM

Major

• 14401 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Magus exemplifies that "Community Ace" title. Whatever happened to the others, anyway? I see one or two around but there must have been more?

TwistedKestrel #29 Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11640 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 18 June 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Have you seen this yet, by chance?

http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/new-pilot-skills/

I noticed it very recently... it more or less just restates what the game client tells you. I would start getting into my preliminary impression of some of these skills but I guess this is not the place for that.

May just have to listen to your video in the background sometime and see what I can absorb

MagusGerhardt #30 Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7422 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostPorkins_Jr, on 20 June 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

Magus exemplifies that "Community Ace" title. Whatever happened to the others, anyway? I see one or two around but there must have been more?

Thanks, Porkins.  What I do now isn't what I was selected for, however.  I will tell you a tale.

In the days before live release our Community Manager was Hathore, a WGNA employee who cared very much about this game and this community.  In order to better serve the community and grow it she founded the Community Ace program, which was similar to Tanks' Council of Armor but more like the Club Wargaming experiment.  Each of us was chosen because we stood out in the community, either for content we produced, insight provided during testing, or raw historical knowledge.  I won't tell you the rest of the CA story that explains why only three or four out of our original membership of nearly 100 are still seen around here.  It is a sad tale of woe, office politics and manipulation and straight-up jack booted thug mentality.

I was not a video producer in those days; I was made a CA based on two things: my eccentric and voluminous historical knowledge on the subject material, and my biting dry sarcastic wit.  That's it.  I only began to make videos for Warplanes when I got tired of waiting for us to get our own "Jingles".  Now, don't mistake this as me comparing the quality of my work to his and saying they're on the same level.  I have less than 200 subscribers on my YT channel and average about 1k views *per month*.  I have a very niche audience, and I'm very aware of that and content with my lot.  I have fun doing what I do and if any of my vids help out a handful of players, then "Mission Accomplished!".

Elias_Sims #31 Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

Senior Airman

• 316 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Thanks for this

GeorgePatton #32 Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7009 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Nice analysis, Magus!

My thought on the subject as a strictly BnZ player (I refuse to turn...) is to do everything to increase speed and engine power. For my J8M (my current obsession...) I went Engine Guru 1 & 2, Aerodynamics Expert and for the last 7 points I plan to pick up Cruise Flight and Raptor Strike. I think you should try the Aerodynamics Expert skill at least on your German heavies - it makes a HUGE difference when combined with the polish and both tiers of Engine Guru. If you put on the engine upgrade equipment on top of that you'll see at least a 400m increase in your initial altitude gain.

Cheers!
Glenn

Gllaurich #33 Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

Senior Airman

• 1188 battles
  • [SOL] SOL
Is this available as a PDF? I prefer reading this information as opposed to watching it. But I'm just silly that way. 

There are three things I learned never to discuss with other people... Politics, religion and The Great Pumpkin. - Linus Van Pelt

Elias_Sims #34 Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Senior Airman

• 316 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

A follow up question: could you explain the difference in the view ability helped by the eagle eye skill and Cruise Flight?

I ask because, if I understand it right, the video suggests that the ability helped by eagle eye is different or not as important as the view range helped by Cruise Flight?  The blog seems to suggest that they both point to the same skill however? 

Just looking for some clarity. Thanks and again, well done with this.   

Noreaga #35 Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8691 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostElias_Sims, on 19 August 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

A follow up question: could you explain the difference in the view ability helped by the eagle eye skill and Cruise Flight?

I ask because, if I understand it right, the video suggests that the ability helped by eagle eye is different or not as important as the view range helped by Cruise Flight?  The blog seems to suggest that they both point to the same skill however? 

this is my personal view on this:

Cruise Flight is not very much use in a pub game, as you lose the view bonus at the first shot. So while it gives you a good bonus at the start of the game, once engaged you need your best SA to see planes looking to take advantage of you being focused.

I have cruise flight on all planes i expect to bring into competition, since first sighting tends to be the last sighting. 

Not sure what Magus meant by it in the video we will have to wait for him.

Nimis obnoxii curare

MagusGerhardt #36 Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7422 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostElias_Sims, on 19 August 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Here's my thoughts on this.

Sight range increase at a one point cost is easily gained, but takes away a point you could put into something more powerful.  Unless you have 15+ point pilots I geared my explanations in the video for efficiency.  I'm not a fan of the skill since it was so heavily nerfed, but do like Cruise Flight for including this ability at least part time.  Cruise Flight loses its engine boost and sight range increase once you are in combat...but, once you're in a dogfight the SA boost from seeing farther away is no longer relevant because you're in a furball and any enemy approaching is likely going to be spotted by one of your teammates before the Eagle Eye ability would warn you.  Also, not many beginner pilots (which most of my vids are aimed at tutoring) are going to have the skillset necessary to both effectively dogfight AND keep an eye glued to their radar HUD to take advantage of Eagle Eye in the rare cases where your teammates won't spot for you first.

So, I stand by my original assessment that Eagle Eye is not an efficient ability to train a pilot for unless you have 1 point left over after getting better abilities and you don't mind retraining costs to put the point from Eagle Eye into something better once you have the necessary XP gained.

Also tagged with Guide, Crew skills, TbM, 1.9.5

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users