Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

Quesnel #81 Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Trying to stay alive during a battle in World of Warplanes is another one of those things I struggle with. Not only does dying take you out of the fight, it also locks down any xp and credits at the point I fall from the sky, unless my team wins in my nether state. In this day in age, living longer not only increases the potential for more kills, damage dealt, credits and xp, it also allows me to direct my artificial allies to attack designated targets. That is, if they choose to listen to me.

Take this first battle of today's series, for example....

First, my bots followed my suggestions, mostly. Second, I got to see, up close and personal, a F-94D in action, but from the perspective of my gunsights.

After my more recent rounds of flying my Super Corsair, today's session was a nice change, ending things on a high note. Defiantly one of those battles I didn't believe the what the end results were trying to tell me.

4 wins, 1 defeat and seven enemy aircraft shot down. I am not going to jinx myself, so I will just end this at that.

Quesnel #82 Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Last night, I came home from work, nearly too tired to even start up the game. However, I pushed on and played out two battles before the keyboard became my new pillow.

The first sortie was a win, with three aircraft destroyed, but it was how the second one closed out that really surprised me. Take a look at my hitpoints....

The results weren't too shabby either. Despite the two game winning streak, I had to go to bed, since I would repeat the whole work thing again.

This time around, I wasn't so tired, but not fully energized either. Nevertheless, I still wanted to clean up the series I started the other day and took to the air for the remaining three sorties. The video above is from the second aerial engagement. 

Five straight wins (two the other day and three just now)! I never would have believed it, seriously. 11 enemy aircraft shot down? Man, I must play somewhat better tired? Anyways, this also makes it the 50 battle mark since I started this little goal of mine, have a look at how far I have come from then....

Quesnel #83 Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

When I started my session for today, I decided to have a look at the progress I have made towards the next plane in this line, the tier IX F-94D. Seems I still have a ways to go yet. Rough guessing here, but if I can keep up my five-battles-per-day standard, I am thinking around 14-ish gaming days to complete the task. This is also barring special events where extra xp could be earned.

Today was a odd seesaw episode. First battle was a win, followed by a defeat, a win was next up, then another defeat....

....and picking up this, to finish things off. I didn't have the cameras rolling during the battle, so I made the movie from the replay and I was surprised with myself. Not that I pulled off an Ace (which is a great thing for me, since I don't usually get these at the higher tiers), it was how I played to get it. I made quite a few errors and just got lucky the enemy team didn't move in on me to capitalize on it. I reckon that had there been a few more human players flying red tagged aircraft, this result probably wouldn't have happened.

Quesnel #84 Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Another five battles knocked out of the park, with 4 wins and a defeat. Only took down six enemy aircraft, but picked up a few more assists for the record.

Other than a near death experience while dueling with an IL-20, nothing much else to report.

Porkins_Jr #85 Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

Nice :great:

Gotta watch those IL-20s!

Quesnel #86 Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Because, today is that day....

....Happy Canada Day!

And, for purely educational purposes....

Edited by Quesnel, 01 July 2016 - 03:24 PM.

Quesnel #87 Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

So, another update. Good thing it wasn't too big, nor took too long to download and install. I do hope they change up the picture though, these guys look kinda....intimidating.

Five more battles completed in this series, with 2 wins and 3 defeats. Although I managed to take out six enemy aircraft, part of the issue was my poor playing and choices. One battle was seriously thrown away by another human player, but thanks to the Name and Shame policy, I have to stop myself there.

This finale really frustrated me. Some days, the bots on my team are unstoppable, killing machines, with decent programming and half a clue of what is going on. Other days (like today), they are nothing more than flying, blindfolded pinatas for the enemy team, just easy xp and credits. Then, make them attack aircraft and the last planes flying....

Edited by Quesnel, 02 July 2016 - 08:02 PM.

Quesnel #88 Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

A nice touch for the Independence Day long weekend. For those of you celebrating out there in the real world, have a great time, but please, stay safe!

My five battle session was a complete and total disaster. I didn't seem to matter if my team was made up of more bots than humans, or the other way around, collecting even a single victory just wasn't in the cards today. So, despite shooting down seven enemy aircraft, my contributions felt like they amounted to nothing. The words Frustrating and Disappointed don't even come close to describing this series.

The video is the last battle I played for today, showcasing an example of my adventures and leaving the goal of collecting my X3 bonus unfulfilled.

Quesnel #89 Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

With only one victory and four defeats for today, I can see why some in the playerbase are voicing their frustrations with the game these days. Here was the first battle of the day....

Great flying, if there was a Red Bull Air Race Mode! However, I did pick up the win on the next battle.

Another habit I have been consciously trying to maintain is remaining with the battle, after I have been shot down and observe how the bots continue to interact with each other and any remaining human players. I have seen some very surprising and disturbing things. First, I will ghost select bot controlled Fighters and usually watch in horror. From my perspective, they will fall in perfectly behind their target, appear to have a good bead and just not fire. Or, they pull off some very unnecessary maneuvers that cost them the shots that could turn the tide of the battle (I see this a lot with the LA series, like the 7's and 9's).

Then, there are the GA's. I have facepalmed a lot when they are the last aircraft alive on my team. I don't know who programmed their flight choices, but I think they need to play the game and/or accept input from real experienced players and take that back to the drawing board. More often than not, they make poor maneuvering/evasion choices and set themselves up to be taken down by exposing their broadside for a much easier to hit target by enemy aircraft, or climb and stall out, we know what usually happens when that takes place. More importantly and this is just my opinion, they don't make effective use of their rear gunners for defensive fire, especially when they fly around like a Greyhound bus trying to Tokyo Drift. They deny themselves a good flat and clean rear firing arc.

These are just my observations and you might see things differently.

MagusGerhardt #90 Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:07 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Agreed, Q.

Bot GA AI is devoid of any kind of tactical thinking, and usually strategic thinking as well.  They're the easiest targets to take down, excepting stalling bots at 3.5km altitude.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #91 Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Another series of battles that began off with what felt like a promising start, but that came to a screeching halt. The first sortie was a hard fought and well played engagement above the skies of San Fransisco, except for the unforeseen twist at the end....

Battle number two was to be the last of the good times, with the remaining encounters being complete disasters. During the loading screen of battle three, I noticed a two person Flight on the enemy team, both were names I am very familiar with. They won the battle almost too easily.

Battle four had the same Flight again on the enemy team. Of course, I attempted to warn my teammates this time (there were a few human players on my side), but that advice fell on deaf ears or they didn't understand English. Either way, my prediction of the outcome came to pass and despite the prospects of a miraculous turn around from one friendly player, it was another defeat for the greens.

Battle number five was my last encounter with the same Flight, once again on the enemy team. This time, the battle was a little closer, but just like the real world, that effort only counts for horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. However, they really had to work for that victory.

One kinda sorta highlight from this series was seeing a tier VIII Shenyang JL-1A-37 Chinese premium Fighter in action. Unfortunately, none of the players who paraded theirs really motivated me to continue watching them.

MagusGerhardt #92 Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Q saw a unicorn!  :teethhappy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #93 Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 10 July 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Q saw a unicorn!  :teethhappy:

Yes....yes I did :(

Quesnel #94 Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Before I begin my now-usual spiel surrounding my latest adventures with the Super Corsair, I want to take a moment and say thanks to you, the World of Warplanes community. Everytime I start one of these threads, which I have coined as my blog, I am blown away by the views they collect. Although the comments/replies seem to run out and reappear sporadically, I still feel a sense of satisfaction that some folks get hints, tips or even a good laugh at the content that is presented within them, even if I wind up doing most of the talking.

Now, I also have a YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR85CAImXPqzSMR78SRESxQ channel that has been showcasing some of my adventures as well. The view numbers are nowhere near as high as has been seen on my threads, but it would seem some folks are stopping by to check things out. Much to my surprise, The Bot Backstab has garnished the most attention of them yet! Perhaps, betrayal is too popular these days....

In short, thanks for finding the time to read my threads and now, watching my videos.

To the business at hand. Today's session was another roller-coaster of oddness. Starting off with a defeat, the next four battles turned out to be victories. In fact, here is the first win and see what I am alluding to....

I would consider this to be my best game from this series....

I just don't get it. Some days, I couldn't get a win even if I threw money at my screen, other days, almost no effort exerted and they just roll in. Today required some presence and activity on my part, but nothing too strenuous or intensive. No doubt I could sit down, run the numbers vs odds, taking into account percentages, the way the wind blew, timing of the tides and all of that, but what would all of that prove?

Despite being dismissed by others, Luck, Fate and Karma have ridden in my virtual cockpit. I know it and don't deny it. And based on what and how I present my results, others must be able to see which of the three had a hand in the outcomes.

MagusGerhardt #95 Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
With the exception of a handful of us, the introduction and improvement of the bots has taken things full circle and we're back to where we started when we had full teams of humans.  Luck and random chance have a lot to do with the outcome of a battle.  I'd offer a chaos theory YT link featuring Jeff Goldblum, but I don't have time to look for a good one this morning before I head off to work.

Quesnel #96 Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 11 July 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'd offer a chaos theory YT link featuring Jeff Goldblum, but I don't have time to look for a good one this morning before I head off to work.

I can cover that one....

Quesnel #97 Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

With a few hours to spare, I thought I would knock out my five games for the day in my Super Corsair. 2 wins and 3 loses and only 1 enemy aircraft shot down were the grand results for this session.

MatchMaker decided to keep throwing me into higher tiered contests this time around. Every one of them had at least one tier IX at the top, the rest of the teams made up mostly of tier VIII's. I won't lie here, I was defiantly struggling and my poor results clearly showed I dropped the ball. However, in both of today's victories, it was a Me 262 HG II that saved the day. Here is the first one....

If there is anything to learn from that video, don't play against a GA on their level, when the odds are in their favor. The second save of the day was this well played out finale. A roughly 60% alive GA....

....is turned into ashes in 11 seconds.

Quesnel #98 Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

It has been a long time since a player has rattled my cage, based on their perceptions of what I am doing wrong. Now, I know that I don't fly the F2G Super Corsair in a conventional, excepted/expected manner, which could account for my less than stellar performance in it. However, in many posts on many threads, I made it very clear I am experimenter when it comes to planes. Sometimes, those crazy tricks and stunts work out just fine and I try to improve on them to be a part of my techniques. Other times, epic fails that I don't try to consciously repeat (I do suffer from relapses on occasion).

Another point, I have no problem posting videos of where I went wrong or how my team lost the battle. There is something to be learned from the mistakes of others, which can be a real time saver if players are considering on using the same tricks and maneuvers, which could produce the very same results and outcome. Cherry picking only the best battles to post not only isn't my style, but it feels a little dishonest to me.

Back to that player who got me riled up. Click on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehiQjhGes8 (you can watch the video or not) and read through their comments to come to your own conclusions. Frankly, I have seen these non-constructive and brow beating remarks before, mostly when I played Tanks (sometimes directed at me, other times just to insult struggling players) and I am ever thankful that is not an example of our community here.

So, instead of allowing them to bait me into a war of words in the comment section of that particular video, I responded this way (take a quick second to read the description too!)....

EspressoForHammy #99 Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

No browbeating here, but a word of advice after watching the video.

Killing the GA first is not a trick or stunt, experiment or a "new way to fly". At best it's an easy way to make sure you have some XP at the end of the battle. At worst it's a sure way to remove your aircraft from the competitive fight that has a 99% chance to decide the battle. In the F2G specifically you would always be better served to be in the fight upstairs.

As far as tips on how to approach GA without getting tail-gunned to death, it's hard to explain, but it involves high speed vertical loops and some evasive maneuvering after you come off the guns. I'm pretty mediocre at it myself, but players like Vradin, Bobo and Gang are masters.

:)

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Bubba_Zanetti #100 Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Meh, looks like he's a wowp Europe player.  Doubt you two will see each other anytime soon.

<--Click on them!
Forum 2.duh status =  (need moar like this oldie)

“The sad truth is that the one thing around here is that we can always rely on is broken promises”& WarMagic the Scattering- Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo █ If a company can't handle the truth based on pixelated facts then they shouldn't be in this industry to begin with. Or stop overreaching at areas where they obviously lack the resources to make a sucess (WOWP)” - ArrowZ_  As it is, this “upgrade” is totally misdirected and completely ignores all player feedback over the past few years.  How this studio continues on with the parent company is a total mystery to me.” - Bobby_Tables  The only thing that will fix this game is for the developers to right click and hit send to trash. - xPALEHORSEx  They've been around a good while and seen a lot of flak so they surely must know what they're doing by now. - Catch21  All wargaming has done in all their games across the board have been stupid and greedy ideas. They are failing as a company so hard. - Veraxu  Maybe Persha should avoid patches with the number 5 in them... - mnbv-fockewulfe  You put the bombsite behind a lock until you get specialist for your bombers? That's just stupid. - comtedumas  claiming victory by fixing your own problems isn't victory, it's low brow chicanery.- TheMadPizzler  Flying games generally don't have broad appeal, and this one has issues and the company tends to pour gasoline those issues, not fix them - _Laserguided_   “I go to RU and (rhymes with git) all over dumb Slavs to express my rage.” - Rando CA  If you want to sell someone a car, you let them take it for a test drive, you don't run them over with it. - Blast_Radius1  My quote + Your signature + Please = Thank You- Prenzlau  Feelings aren't stats, now shut up and go eat tide pods” - Noreaga  “The player online count was removed October 2017 and we don't have plans to return this number to be displayed. That is the decision of the developers team.”- blindfold  After a While it Becomes Tiresome (07.06.15)” - MALICE_AT_BIRTH  “Yes, we can have a place to report all the bugs and then watch as they all get ignored for 6 months” - Gang_Starr █ SonicPariah and blindfold might be listening to us, and sending our ideas along, but Persha sure isn't getting the message.” - CorvusCorvax  They just go on inventing new not-asked-for stuff before fixing what people clearly don't like ...”- GonerNL █ There is a difference between arcade and this roll your face on the keyboard simulator” - Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai  “The real question of the day: Is there room for one more quote in Bubba‘s signature? I certainly hope so.”- MelBrooks  They had to make some space for your signature” - Marsco  “It's the game.  And your signature is long enough to choke a horse. I thought mine was too large.”- SkyWolf_WM

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users