Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

Quesnel #61 Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

After reading many observations on the "unable to train an under-proficient pilot" topic, I thought I would try to confirm or deny these findings. As you can see in the above screen, I have selected my tier II F11C-2 and stuck in a brand new pilot from my tier III YP-29.

Here, you can see no additional skills and I spent 40,000 credits just to have them at a safer 75%. I think a 50% pilot might have been too much of a handicap.

Not a great battle, but it was decent in terms of the win and I lived. By my reckoning, the pilot earned 1768 xp for proficiency training, since the lack any skills.

Well now, that isn't very nice at all!

I took a gamble and switched the pilot to the plane they were originally trained for and hoped the xp just might follow them over. Although I haven't tested this in the current version, but in past updates a player could use crew from other aircraft, switch them out to other non-premium planes they were not trained on (taking a penalty in proficiency and skills of course), then return them back and the xp would follow them as a bonus. Perhaps that has been fixed.

So, other than credit generation, premium aircraft can only increase skill advancement now, proficiency has to be earned in the aircraft they were originally trained in.

Yep, fixed real good.

Edited by Quesnel, 16 June 2016 - 04:34 PM.

MagusGerhardt #62 Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 578 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 16 June 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

So, other than credit generation, premium aircraft can only increase skill advancement now, proficiency has to be earned in the aircraft they were originally trained in.

Yep, fixed real good.

Yep.  That's confirmed.  All I can say to this is: WARNING! PG-13 LANGUAGE

Seriously.  We who are here on the forums are quite few in number compared to the very small number of players on the NA server.

We need to make as much noise and negative feedback as we possibly can on this change to have even a chance of it being rolled back to what is proper.

Link to my kindly-worded protest to follow.  Angrier words will be used "soon" if we don't get an official response to this.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/45137-return-proficiency-training-to-premium-aircraft/

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 16 June 2016 - 05:08 PM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #63 Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Well Magus, after reading through this http://worldofwarplanes.com/tutorials/guide/fundamentals/#transfer%20and%20retraining I see what they have done....

Transfer and Retraining

Transfer

Every member of the crew is competent to fly one specific aircraft. However any crew member can be transferred to any other aircraft within the same nation.

To transfer a crew member to a new aircraft:

recruit_slot.jpg

1. Right-click the crew member you want to transfer.
  2. Select Send to Barracks in the pop-up window.
  3. Select new aircraft in the Hangar for transferring.
  4. Right-click the vacant crew member slot. 
    If the slot is occupied, send the current crew member to the Barracks or dismiss him to free the slot.
  5. Select the required crew member in the pop-up window.

Right after the transferring, the crew member receives temporary proficiency that affects battle performance. The level of temporary proficiency is set automatically and cannot be changed.

If a crew member has a temporary proficiency, training of the main proficiency is frozen.

The temporary proficiency level and capability of skill usage depend on the new plane and the plane type the crew member is trained for:

Though usage of skills is limited, crew members who were transferred to another aircraft can drop current skills and master new skills if free skill points are available.

If crew members of a premium aircraft achieve 100% of their main proficiency, they earn experience and receive skill points. A Premium aircraft gives 20% more experience per battle to its crew.

Even if crew members of a standard or elite aircraft achieve 100% of their main proficiency, the level of temporary proficiency does not allow them to receive new skill points.

Retraining

retraining_684x.png

Any member of the crew who was transferred to another aircraft can be retrained for the new aircraft.

Retraining a crew member resets their proficiency level for the current aircraft.

To retrain a crew member:

1. Right-click the required crew member in the Crew Panel.
  2. In the open menu, select Personal File.
  3. Click Retrain.
  4. Select a training level for the crew member.
  5. Click Retrain.

After retraining, all skill points and skills of the crew member remain unchanged. Capabilities of the retained crew member depend on the main proficiency level:

Crew Member
Capabilities
Main Proficiency Level
50-74% 75–99% 100%
Using Universal Skills Used in battles with 50% efficiency Used in battles with 75% efficiency Used in battles with 100% efficiency
Using Special Pilot Skills Not available in battles Not available in battles Used in battles with 100% efficiency
Earning Experience and Skill Points Not available until 100% proficiency is achieved Not available until 100% proficiency is achieved Available

Though usage of skills is limited, retained crew members can drop their current skills and master new skills if free skill points are available.

Quesnel #64 Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Hey, guess what? No, no, take your time here....

Okay, okay, another round of five battles in my Super Corsair. A defeat? Yes, you are seeing that correctly too, however, that was the last battle of the five.

The previous four sorties were all wins, with 8 more enemy aircraft shot down and 1 more ground target destroyed.

MagusGerhardt #65 Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 578 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 16 June 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Well Magus, after reading through this http://worldofwarplanes.com/tutorials/guide/fundamentals/#transfer%20and%20retraining I see what they have done....

Transfer and Retraining

That's overcomplicating something that was simple and easily understood prior to 1.9.5

Also, it's butt stupid.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Jaguardian #66 Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1 battle

After the patch went live I purchased a tier 6 P-51A and retrained a pilot for credits to get them to 75% proficiency.  After 37 battles, my pilot is at 94% proficiency and still needs 6% to get to 100%.  I have all the modules researched and have 7969 out of 62800 aircraft experience gained towards researching the tier 7 P-51D.  So I have come to the conclusion, that if you don't spend gold and only use credits in the current system, the soonest you will start gaining skill experience for your pilot is at the tail end of your tier 6 plane career.  I usually keep my pilot as I progress through the tree, starting from tier 1 and go all the way through tier 10 and if I keep a plane of a lower tier, I would train a pilot from the beginning.  In the past, I didn't bother retraining a pilot for the next plane until tier 5 because it just wasn't worth it, but in the old system they at least still earned XP towards the next skill - not anymore.

TLDR - Using credits only to train a pilot up from tier 1 and keep that pilot with you as you advance through the tiers will get you no more than 2 skill points by the time you reach tier 7.  This was nothing less than a money grab on WG's part and not at all what they advertised a premium plane could be used for.  A 15 point pilot will take many, many, many...etc. etc. battles to get that much XP and non-gold spending players will not be able to start getting skill point XP until just before researching a tier 7 plane.

Edited by Jaguardian, 17 June 2016 - 01:22 AM.

Tophatfire #67 Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJaguardian, on 16 June 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

TLDR - Using credits only to train a pilot up from tier 1 and keep that pilot with you as you advance through the tiers will get you no more than 2 skill points by the time you reach tier 7.  This was nothing less than a money grab on WG's part and not at all what they advertised a premium plane could be used for. 

Yep.  

Please be sure to check out this month's premium shop bundles though.

Claudio67 #68 Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 433 battles

Well, a few days before this new patch launch (1.9.5) I finished the research on the XF5-U and researched the next in that line, the F2H. Not having enough credits to buy it, I took another pilot to put him on the Pancake and retrained that pilot with credits to a 75% or 80% i think, and sent him to the XP-50 to get 100% and getting him ready for the day I could buy the plane. Now the poor Harold is stuck on 96% (with 6 skill points) until I get the F2H, then start to complete his training with 96% and skills at 75%...

Spoiler

CrayoIaCrayon #69 Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Just my personal opinion and I realize it matters very little.  I have always used different pilots in every plane, other than premiums and only used those for skills.  I have never used premiums to increase proficiency.  For me, the changes mean nothing to me.  I start all pilots in new planes with maximum prof they can earn from credits alone and that's the way it goes.  The only pilots I swap to premiums are the ones in the same tier, such as my 209 and 262 pilots to the 109tl.  My tier 9 and 10 pilots never move and stay in the same planes except for the times I have moved them to mid-tier planes for tournaments and always get them to 100% prof before starting a tourney.  I honestly don't mind or even feel the change.  However, I realize several of you have and/or will and I acknowledge that.  Just voicing my opinion.

Undefeated 1st place, Clantastrophy tournament

Air Raid 6  3rd place,  Air Raid 7  2nd place, Air Raid 8 1st place

Porkins_Jr #70 Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostJetway, on 17 June 2016 - 02:53 AM, said:

the changes mean nothing to me.

Quesnel #71 Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostJetway, on 17 June 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Just my personal opinion and I realize it matters very little....

Your opinion matters. The way you use your pilots isn't a new concept to me, I have seen and been a part of a discussion along the same lines before. In fact, I almost considered doing a very similar thing, it would eliminate tracking down and moving around crews between the barracks, premium and regular aircraft. However, half of the odd fun is just trying to find them.

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 June 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

Grrrrr....

View PostJaguardian, on 17 June 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

Grrrrr some more

View PostClaudio67, on 17 June 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

Oh....dear (see what I did there? And, ignore the Show button below, copy-paste-failure.)

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I am not a big fan of this change, nor how it has come to pass. So much so, I am not interesting in purchasing another premium aircraft (the Kostikov 302 fills the long vacancy of not having a decent, high tiered Soviet premium and it suits what I want) and even less inclined to take part in an event to earn one (besides not having the time to really do one, I don't need another British premium, the Meteor is working just fine for me).

I am more concerned about new/returning players. For the new players, especially if they are coming from another WG title, their expectations from already established premium asset attributes will come as a bit of a shock to them here, since they will only be getting a 66% out of the formerly complete product (just imagine this stunt being pulled in Tanks and/or Ships, the forums would enter a meltdown). I have already seen some comments from a few returning players, a few aren't taking the change too well.

I dunno, they could pull and play the EULA, but they would be a very weak and underhanded move in my eyes and I doubt I would be alone on that perspective.

Edited by Quesnel, 17 June 2016 - 03:25 PM.

Quesnel #72 Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

This round of five battles was just....I really don't know. Perhaps, being tired after working a long night shift and I should be sleeping might account for my poor performance.

Sure, I am up by another 4 wins, with 1 more defeat, but I was only able to take down 2 enemy aircraft. I wasn't lagging or anything that would indicate a connection issue (trust me, watching the ping has become second nature while playing) and I had a pretty stellar match flying another aircraft during this session....

Spoiler

Quesnel #73 Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Block Quote http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/30625-to-the-skies-once-more-starting-from-14/page__st__80__pid__429424#entry429424

"Is it worth it........................................"

Before I answer that, let's look at what it is. The Model 81A-1 was in reality the first production variant of the famous P-40 (also known as the Tomahawk I by the Commonwealth Forces). Modestly armed with two 12.7 mm (or .50 caliber) guns and a smaller than later version engine cowling, this plane served with the 400 Squadron of the RCAF during the war.

Ingame, it feels so much like it's tier V tech tree successor, albeit with less firepower. However, the maneuverability and speed are not skimped on when it was placed in tier IV, and the hitpoints were left untouched from the stock P-40 as well (210 is pretty good, I think). I liked my P-40, did modestly well with it and hope that carries over/back the the Model 81A-1.

However, I was curious to how an old favorite would compare to the returning Beta plane.

Yeah, I like my M-105, despite all of it's shortcomings, but it would seem the Model 81A-1 would hold more than a few surprises for it, if the two ever squared off with each other. I know, flying either one, that day will come and I hope it will bring the action I so long for.

So, from a Mission standpoint, is it worth it? Well, now that it has been extended http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/30862-extended-e3-week-missions-more-chances-to-earn-your-wings/ why not take a shot at getting one. How about if it was offered through the gift shop/ingame store? I would say yes, but under two conditions.

1. If it was reasonably priced against the other tier IV offerings.

2. The buyer would have to be a fan of P-40's (trust me on this one, if you don't like the tech tree version, why would you consider a premium version?).

Although I have only one battle in the Model 81A-1 so far, it was like jumping on a horse or bicycle, I remembered how to re-fly it in short order.

Replay: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=07101131228650437104 (Yeah, I die, but I get a kill in the Russian style :trollface:).

With the Model 81A-1 in my hangar, I now have premium company for my M-105. But, there is one more premium P-40 floating out there.........................

.........................and my Hawk III pilot is just itching for a ride in a Tomahawk IIb.

Every once in a while, I take a look back at my old threads and posts, relive happier times of the game, the events and the Community. I also look at some of my write ups on the aircraft I would acquire along the way, like the returning Beta tier IV premium Model 81A-1. In an era where I overused my Soviet GA's, the Model 81A-1 (including my other, same tiered premium, Curtiss P-36C) were among more more used non-GA. Three kill marks, yeah, it was a fun machine.

Fast forward two years, almost exactly. With the Missions for Tokens, I need another aircraft to collect on the bonuses that could be earned from the lower tiered action. I was already grinding out the tier VIII F2G to next level, so the upper end of the spectrum was covered. I chose to dust off my premium XP-75 Eagle for the mid tiers and additional credit generation. So, it was a matter of picking something....decent for the lower end of things.

I went with the tier IV Model 81A-1 for two reasons, first, it just happened to be having an Anniversary, so there were extra, short term bonuses to collect. Second, I wanted to see how this "two gun wonder" would hold up under my playstyle and very changed game environment from when it first returned.

Spoiler

Edited by Quesnel, 18 June 2016 - 05:27 PM.

Porkins_Jr #74 Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostQuesnel, on 18 June 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

In an era where I overused my Soviet GA's

Impossible to do. :D

Quesnel #75 Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Another round of completed five battles in my Super Corsair. 3 wins, 2 defeats and only 5 enemy aircraft destroyed. I hope to shake this performance slump I appear to be slipping into. Despite this, I have had the good fortune of getting some pretty decent teams....

Take this last battle, for example. I became target fixated on a human controlled, enemy IL-20. The previous sortie before, I was teamed up (not Flighted) with Homesick_Angel and was able to take out two GA's effectively, using my usual techniques. This time, it didn't payoff so well, I positioned myself to allow a bot to remove me from the skies.

See for yourself, a video captured in progress during the countdown screen, once I saw who made up my team....

Quesnel #76 Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Just a reminder, flying low altitude, multi-engine aircraft have no place in real life....oh wait!

Quesnel #77 Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

While I was supposed to be working (because, I have one of those type of jobs) I snuck in a movie, since I highly doubt there will ever be a portable version of World of Warplanes (great idea, now just think how things could go wrong with that).

So, the movie was called The Hunters. Released in 1958, it could be called that era's Top Gun, so I will make the partial comparison that way.

First, let's get rid of the Navy and replace it with the Air Force and instead of the action taking place in Miramar/the Persian Gulf during modern times, travel back to the skies above the Korean Conflict, with some ground action in Japan. With me so far? Take out hot shot rookie Tom Cruise (cya) and put war veteran Robert Mitchum in his place (who's that you ask? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000053/) who happens the go by the callsign of "Iceman" (see, I made a connection, nice).

There is no Goose (since F-86's are single seat fighters, sorry) but there is a love interest, sadly she (click here to see her http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110067/) is married to Robert's character's flight element member, Lieutenant Carl Abbot (this guy http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680097/). The movie was also an early appearance for Robert Wagner (he would play Number Two in the Austin Powers movies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001822/) a hot shot rookie pilot (almost takes the Tom Cruise role and puts a "Grease" spin on it) speaking mostly through the catch phrases of the time.

One thing that both movies have in common, fantastic aerial dogfight and chase scenes. Both used real aircraft, flown by real pilots, pulling off real maneuvers. A big plus goes more to The Hunters, since the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak is more convincing as a Soviet/Chinese/North Korea/Believable Bad Guy plane then the Northrop F-5F used in Top Gun (I am still out on a villain named Casey Jones though, just doesn't have the same ring as....not Casey Jones).

The version I watched ran 115 minutes and if you can ignore the whole "love interest/affair" portion, along with the last twenty five minutes of the movie, you would have a very decent aerial eye-fest of jet combat and maneuvers.

So, what does this have to do with World of Warplanes? Well, both the F-86 and F-84F in this flick just happen to be ingame, sitting at tier X in their respective American branches.

Edited by Quesnel, 20 June 2016 - 04:30 PM.

Quesnel #78 Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Well, seems my turn at a losing streak, run of bad luck or however you want to label it, finally came.

Three defeats in a row, one win and finishing it off with another "sorry, try again player." 3 enemy aircraft destroyed....wow....I just....wow. I guess the four more Assist Point kinda show I was trying to do something....

After I completed that frustrating serial, I hopped down to tier IV and fired up my Model 81A-1. First and only battle of the day produced this....

Spoiler

Recently (okay, today) I was starting to feel some disconnect with my tier VII XP-75 Eagle, so instead of just trying to push through for any hope of a better result, I knocked myself down a tier and flew Blackhawk style. The first battle I was treated with a defeat, the second battle was a meh win, then I pulled this off....

Spoiler

Edited by Quesnel, 20 June 2016 - 07:07 PM.

Quesnel #79 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Tonight's five battle series had a promising start, then went right down hill after that. The first encounter was more or less, me along for the ride, becoming a cloud of smoke and making a video of Pogo68 showing of their skills....

Wow, a Light Fighter taking out not just one, but two high tiered Soviet GA's? Impossibru!

The very next battle, I was able to really make a difference, seemed like my game could be starting to turn around.

The last three sorties sealed my fate with defeats. A recap, 2 wins, 3 defeats and four enemy aircraft shot down, all of those in just one battle only.

Quesnel #80 Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

There seems to be a trend developing and I want to bring this to a stop! A single win, bookended by defeats. Despite bagging another four enemy aircraft, it would appear that I have to seriously rethink my current strategies and make some adjustments. My lonely win....

It's birthday time for another one of my aircraft and the timing suits my plans. First, the premium tier IV P-36C was an additional favorite from the Beta days, almost right up there beside the Model 81A-1 for airtime. This plane hasn't been in my hangar long, only receiving it back during the last Christmas holidays, but I am quick to notice some changes to it now. Back in the Beta days, this little plane was quite the formidable weapon, some even went as far as claiming it was better than a fully upgraded tech tree P-36. I silently agreed and banked on this every battle I went into.

Then, the game went Live, the plane was removed.

Returning from my hiatus, the aircraft doesn't seem to be so impressive, like it used to be. Before leaving, I got a little airtime with it and was happy with the impression the plane had been untouched from when I last flown it, way back when. Now, it takes what feels like forever to shoot down enemy aircraft, praying for a lucky critical hit to shorten the wait time for those results. See for yourself here....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users