Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #321 Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Cross posting from the guides forum since the current topic here is the Operation Dynamo event.  I previewed both of the aircraft up for grabs!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #322 Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

During this Operation Dynamo event, I took a hard, long look at the British tree and realized just how incomplete it is.

Much like the Japanese line for the longest time, nothing much has been added to this, except for a few premium aircraft along the way and a minor shift in the early progression stages, then the Land of the Rising Sun finally received another, much needed line. Unlike Japan, the British selection hasn't been around for nearly as long, only introduced to the game shortly before the game went Live in November, 2013.

Even still, that's just about four years of....nothing. Sure, there have been rumors of stuff, but nothing really tangible came to pass (I came across a few pictures of WG/Persha staff visiting China when their server was launched a few years back, teasers of the Hawker Typhoon among others). I know I can't be the only one here, but it's long past due for some new aircraft to make an appearance for those who enjoy such assets from the Land of Tea and Crumpets.

First, there's the Hawker line. Sure, one lonely Hurricane is in the game, available at limited times/special circumstances and sporting a very bad reputation for being a not-so-good purchase. However, there were many other Hurricane variants built and other Hawker aircraft too, from the Hart and Fury, the Typhoon and Tempest, right up to the Hunter. Then, there is the one off aircraft the could fit in as premiums, like the 1927 Harrier, P.V.3/P.V.4, the Hotspur and the Tornado (a parallel prototype to the Typhoon), just to name a few.

Gloster, Avro, Vickers, Bristol, Fairey, Handley Page, and Armstrong-Whitworth (not meant to be a conclusive list) all produced aircraft that helped with the British war effort, sadly not represented in this game with very visible numbers.

At any rate, rant over, I just hope, in the not-so-far-distant-future, some more important, iconic and beloved aircraft from the "island that stood alone" make an appearance in Planes.

Something I noticed from the Dunkirk....hangar....a newspaper on the ground, just below the left wing root....

It turns out the be a copy of the May 31st, 1940 Daily Express!

Edited by Quesnel, 17 July 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Quesnel #323 Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Almost lost to the annals of time, this real life Dunkirk survivor takes to the skies. Read more and watch the video here.

Quesnel #324 Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Much to my own surprise, I don't have that many British premium aircraft.

After a quick review and remembrance, I bought one (the Miles M.20) and earned the other four (Gloster Meteor F.I., Vickers Venom, Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Type 224). With the possibility of picking up another Supermarine offering, I decided to take a trip to the lower tiers with the first aircraft to unofficially carry the name Spitfire.

Built to meet the October 1931 Air Ministry specification F.7/30, the Type 224 first flew on February 1934. Originally built to replace the Gloster Gauntlet, the aircraft faced some pretty stiff design competition from Westland, Blackburn and Gloster themselves. 

Although the 224's fuselage design was based on the Schneider Trophy Supermarine S.6/6B floatplanes, the inverted gullwings proved to be unstable and the light weight evaporative cooling system for the Rolls-Royce Goshawk II engine failed to produce spectacular results. Because of these setbacks, the Gloster Gladiator would win the lucrative contract and became a legend in it's own right. The Type 224 would be seen for the last time by the public at Royal Air Force Display at Hendon in June 1934, then placed into storage at RAE Farnborough. In May 1937, this all all-metal monoplane would be taken away to Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Martlesham Heath, to be reduced to scrap, since it's new role as a gunnery target would have made quick work of the aluminum skin and airframe.

However, lessons learned form this sole prototype would become instrumental in the creation of the Supermarine Type 300, known the world over as the Spitfire.

pyantoryng #325 Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles
Missed picking up the Seafire when it was offered for tokens...or did you picked something else instead?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #326 Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 20 July 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Missed picking the Seafire when it was offered for tokens...or did you picked something else instead?

I got the Type 224, P-36C and all the lower tier Japanese premiums (unless you are talking about a different event).

pyantoryng #327 Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 20 July 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

I got the Type 224, P-36C and all the lower tier Japanese premiums (unless you are talking about a different event).

There had been at least two occasions that T8 premium were offered wholesale for tokens, or you partly pay tokens and the rest in gold.

I grabbed J8M from the first and the second NC 1070...I think the latter is the time when Seafire was offered along with one other choice...I think it was I-260...probably New Year...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Bubba_Zanetti #328 Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28336 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 20 July 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

There had been at least two occasions that T8 premium were offered wholesale for tokens, or you partly pay tokens and the rest in gold.

I grabbed J8M from the first and the second NC 1070...I think the latter is the time when Seafire was offered along with one other choice...I think it was I-260...probably New Year...

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/winter-campaign/

pyantoryng #329 Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 20 July 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Yes...yes, that.

I did not regret my NC 1070 pick, though I sure as heck wanted to pick the other two (with all tokens it's actually possible to take both fighters with no leftover tokens for wheel of fortune)...

Edited by pyantoryng, 20 July 2017 - 03:34 PM.

Quesnel #330 Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles
No, I spun them all away and got lower tired stuff.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users