Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

ArrowZ_ #261 Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 9554 battles
Basically barometric is the way to go to gauge altitude performance. Radar is for terrain which is kind of useless in this game since majority of the maps are clear skies. Fjords and lighthouse are the few exceptions. But turning them both on is more safe than having one or the other. 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Psicko23 #262 Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Thanks ArrowZ for the more concise explanation. Also don't forget eastern boarder. That one has some nasty low laying fog/ clouds. It's fun making people crash while chasing me. Yeah I've been suckered into the ground on that map as well. 

Quesnel #263 Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles
I know and understand what you guys are saying, I was describing something along the lines of a feeling of inconsistency I get from the game from time to time.

Quesnel #264 Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Tired of my Mustang adventures? Take a short break with some Meteor material!

Quesnel #265 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Just like certain times in real life, some rules can be broken in video games. Okay, let's bend a few in this battle specifically....

I have spent a great deal of time practicing the "Boom and Zoom" playstyle, climbing up and beyond the optimal operational altitude with the tier VIII Mustang H, circling from up high and waiting to pounce on one or multiple enemies below. Far from an expert in this endeavor, but I do believe my proficiency has improved this past while.

However, I still suffer from the odd relapse and slip into a playstyle which is a total and complete opposite to what I have been practicing, other times, like this one, the canopy has to be flung open and the rule book thrown out while in a dive....

GhostPrime #266 Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1545 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Personally I go low late into the match when hunting down the GAA that are left. Great video!

Edit - That image is a super nice shot too!

Edited by GhostPrime, 15 June 2017 - 05:02 PM.

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

pyantoryng #267 Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

Can't always stick by the rule in the heat of the battle...

One unbelievable scenario I had fought in had my 109G (with penalized to 75% pilot no less) turnfighting against an La-9RD in the red zone...and I won. I still don't know how did I won that one, but at least I had the annual FXP stipend (sat on it for 3 years now, going nowhere)...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #268 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 15 June 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Personally I go low late into the match when hunting down the GAA that are left. Great video!

Edit - That image is a super nice shot too!

Thanks Ghost!

View Postpyantoryng, on 15 June 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Can't always stick by the rule in the heat of the battle...

One unbelievable scenario I had fought in had my 109G (with penalized to 75% pilot no less) turnfighting against an La-9RD in the red zone...and I won. I still don't know how did I won that one, but at least I had the annual FXP stipend (sat on it for 3 years now, going nowhere)...

Some are quick to dismiss luck, or "chance situational circumstances" as I have also heard it called.

Edited by Quesnel, 15 June 2017 - 10:21 PM.

Quesnel #269 Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Once considered the most over-powered aircraft of the lower tiers, the German premium Messerschmitt Bf 110C-6 Heavy Fighter has weathered well the changes brought with nearly update since it's introduction. Despite heavy, sluggish controls at low altitudes (not recommended) and a slow rate of fire from it's 30 mm cannon, it is still a very dominant solo aircraft in the right hands. In a Flight with a identical twin and highly skilled players, the results can almost be predictable for the team their are on.

Long ago, this plane gained some lasting notoriety for establishing the longest wining streak of any aircraft in the game, while in a three man Flight. Even now, after not flown it in I have no idea when, a rusty solo player can still make a unforgettable presence in the aerial battlefield....

pyantoryng #270 Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

Wasn't it the regular 110 and not the C-6 that got that infamous win streak...but then again it's lost to time...we came so far...

I still run my C-6 when it calls for T4 HF...it's a shadow of its former glory, but is workable nonetheless...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #271 Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 June 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

Wasn't it the regular 110 and not the C-6 that got that infamous win streak...but then again it's lost to time...we came so far...

Nope, it was the C-6, I remember being on both sides of that....incident.

Quesnel #272 Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Making Ace, that is getting five kills in a battle, can be as easy as blinking your eyes, or as challenging as juggling multiple flaming objects and not burning yourself (no gloves for protection either).

There have been times where I have seen other players just fly through the sky and the enemy aircraft just drop dead around them, like some strange sorcery was used. I have the fortunate experience of this happening to me as well, on rare occasions. Other instances, I have to really work my controls to just stay alive, let alone remove a single enemy aircraft from the battle. I am not going to even mention those frustrating times when that fifth kill was just about to happen, only to be claimed by an ally or a game crash.

Like it's almost reliant on the roll of the dice. Not an Ace, but here is my throw of Double Deuces....

Psicko23 #273 Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I used to love the the c6, but nowadays I rarely fly it since the big nerf. Every time I take it out I seem to go against a good flight of regular 110's.

Hardstrike #274 Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11989 battles
  • [SF] SF
My fastest ace was in a C6.  Pacific map and a group of players in a fan shape in front of me.  I went into a turn while firing.  Five fighters popping like firecrackers.  Yeah, I guess the original 30mm was a little op!
Fly crooked and shoot straight.

Quesnel #275 Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Color me surprised, it's been three months already?

Honestly, it feels like it was just a short while ago since I put the Mustang H into my hangar. I can certainly say the last ninety days in this aircraft has been both and exciting and educational experience. Educational to the point from watching and reading how others have mastered the Boom and Zoom playstyle, importantly using high altitude to a tactical advantage, to adjusting my old habits to experiment and embrace this "different" way then what I am used to flying.

The exciting part comes from the biggest attractant for me to this game....the chase....

Quesnel #276 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Sometimes, unspoken teamwork takes place to win the day.

Case in point: a sortie from this very morning, where I took to the skies in the Mustang H. Low and behold, I spot pyantoryng in a same tiered Me 329 on my team for the battle. With cameras rolling, a video where the first part of this engagement was mine, the last part was theirs, the victory was ours....

pyantoryng #277 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

Uhh...I was just wrapping up my token collecting for the day (mission: Be the top 3 in aircraft/targets destroyed)...I thought I'd just go drop my bombs on two ships and shoot a few things up when that happened...besides, I was playing on shared desktop, and its owner was there so I had to hurry it up.

Everything couldn't be more perfect...bot F2G insisting on staying on my rear gun, player-controlled 209 letting down his guard way down low flying straighter than arrow and get vaporized, catching bot IL-20 on its side and downed in 1 heat cycle, and the last, player-controlled IL-20's 57mms did not land any hit.

Had that 209 been on his toes I doubt it would come out that way. Still can't believe that happened, myself...

Quesnel #278 Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 19 June 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Still can't believe that happened, myself...

Believe it or not, well played :great:

Quesnel #279 Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Project 302 was a mid-War Soviet mixed-power fighter/interceptor concept that would have used a liquid fuel rocket for take-off and ramjet engines for flight.

Originally designed by Mikhail Tikhonravov over a two year period, the project was later taken over by the politicaly motivated AG Kostikov, credited by some as the father of the Katyusha, the mobile, repeating rocket weapon system. Tikhonravov would be later become infamous for coining and popularizing the term Cosmonaut, both inside and outside the Soviet Union.

In November 1942, Kostikov presented Tikhonravov's design concept to Joseph Stalin (some sources claimed he passed the project as his own) and was appointed chief designer and given funding to build two prototypes. Two air-frames were eventually built, one was used for static ground tests, while the other would fly, as a towed glider, in August 1943.

Despite the promising performance numbers of the air tunnel and glider results, the ram jet engine tests were falling short of expectations and the calculated flight time of an all rocket version was too short to be considered an effective option. The project as a whole was falling beyond schedule.

In in early 1943, the delays in the project were investigated by a commission, headed by Alexander Sergeyevich Yakovlev and the following February, Kostikov was found to be fully at fault, removed and imprisoned.

Later, Semyon Alekseyev would rediscover the design and research data of the Kostikov 302 and combined it with captured German engineering findings, creating the Alekseyev I-211 and I-215 fighters.

In World of Warplanes, the Kostikov 302 is a premium, tier VII Soviet Fighter, with an exceptional climb rate, thanks to it's tail-rocket engine. The ram jet engines are capable of getting the aircraft up to speed quickly, but require some time to cool down. The nose mounted cannons should be fired in short bursts, due to accuracy and heat issues. Avoid taking damage as much as possible, since the 302 isn't very durable in combat and relies on speed as it's main strength.

Here is a video that tried to cover all of these points, both the good and the bad ones....

Quesnel #280 Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

With just a few days remaining for the Birthday bonuses for the Mustang H, in conjunction with this weekend's http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/vlad-2-the-bone/ special, it was a real challenge to collect the maximum potential from any battle. I ran into higher skilled players who made very short work of me, players on my own team that didn't offer much in the way of assistance and sporadic packet loss that just added to the frustration level.

Just when I was on the verge of cutting my final loss for the day....

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users