• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

Quesnel #181 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 27 March 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

Hey Quesnel, 

Thanks for posting these videos of your battles in these planes! Very cool! 

Thanks Ghost, for stopping by and the kind words!

Quesnel #182 Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Slowly but surely, I am progressing up through the Mustang H. One of the biggest drawbacks to this aircraft, thus far, is the serious lack of punch from the stock guns. There have been many times where I believe the option of having the pilot slide back the canopy and throw confetti at passing enemy aircraft might do more damage. So, with that in mind, it's time for an upgrade, or two.

However, having the new parts and not installing them wouldn't make a whole lot of sense now, would it? It's a good thing I have a sizable nest egg built up to cover this expense, since I have been running a standard account for....a very long time now. With the airframe switched over and the new guns mounted, my hope there will be a very noticeable difference in my next sortie.

Quesnel #183 Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

One of the things I am trying my very best at doing is maintaining a "vertical mindset" while flying the Mustang H. Although I still succumb to old habits, like turnfighting and other cringeworthy maneuvers that others like to point out, at least I am honest enough to admit that when I do something wrong, I pay for it. However, when luck is on my side, some very interesting results can and do happen. I have shown this on a few occasions now.

With the recently installed upgrades for the Mustang H, I had high hopes that things were about to get better, at least over the results I have been producing by using the previous stock configuration. In theory, the marginal increase in firepower and other bonus attributes with the airframe should give me an edge in future sorties. The reality....

Quesnel #184 Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

In light of the weekend special surrounding Sergey Ilyushin's birthday, it made sense to have at least one battle that featured an aircraft that bore his name.

Except, it's not me who flew it.

My time in Ilyushins has pretty much come and gone, only on certain occasions do I break out those Soviet Ground Attack aircraft for some action, such as rare, big experience and credit payout events, or to complete a mission that requires those specific planes. I have long ago completed my trip to the top tier of that line and slowly, sporadically, working away with their German counterparts, in an attempt to do the same with them.

For this battle, I decided to take out my tier VIII Messerschmitt Me 329 after an extended period of being unused and see if I could still "mow the lawn" as it has been put by others. Just to let you know now, it wasn't very exciting at all, since all the human players on both team flew GA's too. And of course, I make one fatal mistake, but decide to to see the battle through, to it's uncertain conclusion....

I tip my hat to rapela_alejo for keeping their head on straight.

Quesnel #185 Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

I see there is a new Mission Series to collect a high tier premium plane, more details can be found here. Although there appears to be a reasonable amount of time to complete it (just at a glance, mind you), I think I will sit this one out. I believe my Soviet premium tier VII Kostikov 302 will suffice.

Speaking of upper tier premiums, the tier VII XP-75 American Heavy Fighter has been one of the few I suffered from "perpetual buyer's remorse." While other players have been more successful with this aircraft, since it better suits their playstyle, mine has been less than forgiving when I took it outside the envelope, in the past. However, encouraged with my recent Mustang D and H experience, I attempted to replicate the "better result" techniques I have used on them on their much larger cousin....

It would seem I also have the phenomenon of "bending bullets" to thank for the results.

Quesnel #186 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

If you happen to notice the cursor in the above animated gif is just a little off, it's because I have switched over to a new/backup video capture program. Up until now, I have relied on Nvidia Shadowplay to create my Planes movies, but for some odd reason now, it won't engage to capture "Live" battles (I am not a big fan of turning replays into videos, which it still does). Until the next Nvidia update to correct this issue, I have Overwolf to carry on with.

Speaking of the animated gif, you also may have seen I have upgraded the guns, for the last time. Now, if I just wanted to race through the Mustang H towards the North American FJ-1 Fury, I could have gone for the next engine upgrade and continued on from there. In the past, I almost wouldn't have hesitated to do this, but that was then and now, I do things a little differently. Although the second set of guns is a marginal improvement over the stock offerings, I decided to maximize the firepower potential as I proceed towards my tier IX goal and suffering through a situation where that little bit of extra bang could have made all the difference is something I won't put myself through, again.

Here is a video to illustrate my point....

Quesnel #187 Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Aside from the grind up and through the Mustang H, I have also been working on those sidebar missions, at a very leisurely pace.

Since I don't have any lower tiered tech tree aircraft in my hangar, I use the many premium aircraft I have acquired over the years. A few I have purchased with real world money, others have been rewards and/or giveaways, like the tier II XP-31 Swift. In an environment almost solely dominated through the use of biplanes, this experimental Curtiss monoplane brings a little something different to the battlefield in the sky.

The goal was simple, "Destroy at least 3 enemy aircraft in one battle." Here is how it all went down....

Now, if you sat through that and noticed the video quality seemed to be a bit off, you're right. In my haste to capture the action as it unfolded live, I forgot to double check my settings were set back to HD mode and not the default screen resolution I used on another project. A lesson learned, but not in time for the next video I made, a pick up match to make up for an earlier defeat in the Mustang H.

GhostPrime #188 Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1545 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Great low rez battle! Reminds me of the old days of gaming! ;) 

In all seriousness though great battle. Also, I love playing that XP-31, its a fun plane to fly. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Quesnel #189 Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 06 April 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Great low rez battle! Reminds me of the old days of gaming! ;)

Yeah, the unintended-retro-look might have better suited a different title, but I was already uploading to YouTube when I caught it. Plus, I didn't want to re-shoot the movie out of a replay. From my perspective, certain elements are lost from a Live battle capture.

View PostGhostPrime, on 06 April 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

In all seriousness though great battle. Also, I love playing that XP-31, its a fun plane to fly. 

Honestly, I believe if there were more human players in that battle I posted, I don't think the outcome would have turned out the same. I agree the XP-31 is a fun aircraft.

Quesnel #190 Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Now, I am usually a solitary player in Planes, so when a request like this pops up, I almost don't know how to react.

It's not that I am one of those anti-social types, I enjoy hanging out with people, sharing some laughs, witty comments and gameplay frustrations. The problem I have is twofold. One, it's hard for me to meet a schedule commitment for an ingame rendezvous, since I play when most other folks are still sleeping or just waking up (North America locations). Secondly, I have been alone for so long, it's difficult to get into the whole swing of having a wingman, or being one. Although I have been a part of Flights in the past, it just wasn't a regular occurrence for me. I know some will understand where I am coming from.

Nevertheless, I accepted hawkeyededic's request and then we set about trying to establish voice comms. First, we fiddled with the ingame option and activated that system. Although it worked, both of us weren't overly thrilled with the results in volume or clarity. So, we moved over to hawk's Discord channel, made a few adjustments (turns out one of my keybinds irritated a friendly player during a battle, I was spamming "Clear my Tail!" everytime I talked), played out a few battles, tweaked the settings more and come to this....

Despite not capturing our voices just right, we were pleased with our results and our efforts were noticed by a fellow player....

Thanks Neblin!

I didn't keep track of all the battles hawk and I were in and the camera stopped rolling after, what I thought was our best sortie together....

Spoiler

Edited by Quesnel, 07 April 2017 - 07:13 PM.

hawkeyededic #191 Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3270 battles

Was a lot of fun, like Quesnel I don't play in flights often as my work schedule also has me on mostly int he early morning hours. Once we got the voice coms sorted out I think we worked well together.  That last battle was definitely our best, the Ki-88 and Ki-61 work well together.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Quesnel #192 Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

I just couldn't leave the last battle that Hawk and I had the other day alone.

First off, it was by and far the best game I ever had using my long-ago-earned Ki-88 premium tier VI Fighter, that doesn't fly like your typical Japanese aircraft. Coupled that with being in a flight and Hawk using a completely different plane, his tier VI Ki-61 and producing the results that we accomplished. Granted, some might point out that we were the top of the tier in this match, but using Japanese aircraft, other than the infamous and deadly Zeros, would be almost unheard of.

Nevertheless, I wanted to do something....different. So, I created a slight time delayed, split screen video to show the battle, from both our perspectives. Hawk is on the left, I am on the right.

Edited by Quesnel, 08 April 2017 - 03:14 PM.

Claudio67 #193 Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15390 battles

:kamikaze:

Nice decision in the split screen showing both points of view simultaneously! 

The Ki-88 is a very different beast than the older Japanese line, but I think not so with the newer ones Ki's (besides the fact of sporting a devastating 37mm)

Congrats to both of you! 

hawkeyededic #194 Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3270 battles

In this case being top tier really means nothing when you consider we were up against 3 human controlled HF's, a pair of Me.410s and a P-38J, with competent players at the controls.

Spoiler

Edited by hawkeyededic, 08 April 2017 - 08:13 PM.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Quesnel #195 Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Despite taking place before the time period that World of Warplanes encompasses, I will pause and look back to a very significant event that occurred, 100 years ago today....

Every April the 9th is known as Vimy Ridge Day in Canada and is observed very much like Remembrance Day in some communities. Part of a larger World War I campaign known as the Battle of Arras, it is better remembered for the four day long operation to take out the heavily fortified and defended German positions on Vimy Ridge, by the use of a Creeping Artillery Barrage and a large number of Canadian ground troops. The clear and decisive victory came at a price, with 3,598 dead and 7,004 wounded and was a defining moment for Canada as a nation, on the world stage.

However, there is an overlooked and forgotten part to the Vimy story.

During those same four days and high above the battlefield, Canadian airmen and observers, serving with both the Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Flying Corps, would play a crucial part in the outcome of this major conflict. Flying in The Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 and through the use of aerial Morse Code transmitters, cameras and acknowledgment flags on the ground, enemy positions and movements would be photographed and relayed to artillery teams, greatly increasing their accuracy and effectiveness.

Others, flying in Nieuport 17s, Sopwith Pups and Triplanes would engage aerial enemies in dogfights and drop bombs, mirroring the ferocious and bloody action below. 

On this day, I will take a moment to remember those Canadian airmen who helped make the Battle of Vimy Ridge such a historical success and pay special honor to the 17 killed in action, along with 8 wounded and 4 still listed as missing.... 

MelBrooks #196 Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 29911 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Great bit of history. My grandfather fought with and next to Canadians in 1917 - 1918 in France. I remember his stories as a kid and his unrelenting respect and admiration on how tough and resilient the Canadians fought. Salute.

Quesnel #197 Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Well Mel, The Great War had a profound effect on me and my family (the surname occupies the leftside of the image above, not all of them are relates, but quite a few are). A few years back, I discovered my family came over from Ireland (mostly farmers and carpenters) shortly before Canada became a country. However, with the outbreak of hostilities in Europe in 1914, it appears a large number of my male predecessors enlisted.

Sadly, many wouldn't live to see the outcome of Vimy, others never even made to the Armistice. Those who did make it home had a difficult time getting back into their old lives. Then the drums of war started to beat again in 1939....

With my time in Afganistan, I have contributed the semi-tradition of serving in the Canadian Army through my family name. However, I look forward to my son not donning a uniform in his time and hope for a stable peace in his future.

Quesnel #198 Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Ever have one of those games where you just come up short on everything? Fly in the wrong direction, pick the wrong target, think you have a good bead, fire the guns and do nothing but shoot empty air?

If not, grab a comfortable chair and I will share one of those experiences with you....

Claudio67 #199 Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15390 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 10 April 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ever have one of those games where you just come up short on everything? Fly in the wrong direction, pick the wrong target, think you have a good bead, fire the guns and do nothing but shoot empty air?

Not only that, even came back to hangar with full ammo... Not even a single shot fired! (Old, miserable times)

Spoiler

Quesnel #200 Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:37 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles
Okay Claudio, you topped me with that.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users