Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

EspressoForHammy #161 Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5258 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
You GOTTA stop turnfighting everything Quesnel!

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Quesnel #162 Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View PostEspressoForHammy, on 06 March 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

You GOTTA stop turnfighting everything Quesnel!

Yeah, I know, it's such a hard habit to break.....

Quesnel #163 Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

The cool screenshot....

....the video of me doing a lot of things wrong in a Mustang....

Click here for an explanation.

....and a link to try and put my thoughts and actions into words.

mnbv_fockewulfe #164 Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4382 battles

The beauty in the Mustang isn't really some much in its speed or climb or turning. Its true beauty lies in its energy retention.

The P-51 isn't so much of a true hardcore BnZ as it is an energy fighter. The reason for this is simply that its guns don't hit hard enough in a single diving pass.

As a general rule, you can turn fight planes that are less maneuverable than you (i.e. P-47, Corsair, Fw, Heavy fighters etc) and you BnZ anyone that you know is slower than you. The latter rule applies even to the former if they are at a lower altitude and or energy state.

Never underestimate the Mustang's ability to hold its own against up to three enemy planes at high altitude. I've had many battles where I'm on my own at high alt and I get attacked by two or more planes and I was able to turn the battle in my favor. I had one battle where I was the last one alive and I evaded the entire enemy team for two minutes before they were able focus fire on me and take me down. The only problem with the Mustang is really her guns. IMHO, the individual bullets should have more weight of fire and do the same damage for the entire effective range. If you find yourself surrounded you don't have the time to get a nice steady stream of bullets and dodge incoming fire at the same time.

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Quesnel #165 Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

With International Women's Day being observed, World of Warplanes has put on a limited time event to earn a decal in commemoration of the occasion. Since I only have one female pilot, Charlotte von Staufen, the currently-trained-for German-heavy-fighters pilot, I thought it was about time I would change up the look of the aircraft I have her in, the tier VIII premium Me 109 TL. Frankly, I am tired of looking at that ridicules bird (put on as a lark, but too lazy to switch it out for something else, after all this time).

All I needed to do was win ten battles....

To add a little "spice" to the task, I decided to browse through my aircraft collection and fly some that haven't seen airtime in....who knows when. I dusted off some lower tiered Japanese Fighters (got a Gorovets Medal in the Ki-8), flew the American XP-75 Heavy Fighter and of course, knocked back the daily for the P-51D Mustang. However, the biggest disappointment of all the planes I have has to be the Hawker Hurricane IID. Not to play an old, broken record of my thoughts and feelings about this aircraft and how it exists in World of Warplanes, but my bitter feelings still linger about it, even after so much time has past since it's introduction.

Nevertheless, I watched a few recent videos from highly experienced players pulling off what others wouldn't believe possible, very decent results from this very aircraft (getting an Ace Achievement in a Hurricane, especially how WarGaming implemented it into the game, is nothing short of outstanding). While repeating that same level of performance and results would have created a most wonderful and fuzzy feeling, I will settle for this....

....which was no small effort in itself.

In the end, I received and applied the decal and Charlotte von Staufen was defiantly thrilled with the aesthetic change. Can't you tell?

Edited by Quesnel, 08 March 2017 - 11:24 PM.

Quesnel #166 Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

A long time ago now, World of Warplanes introduced Mission Rewards spread across the tiers to collect. In order to fulfill these requirements, a player has fly their aircraft in tier brackets of I-IV, V-VII and VIII-X. Of course, these varying levels also bring a change in gameplay, where both human and artificial opponents can be quite challenging to fairly easy to defeat.

The lower tiers, say from I through III, are meant to be somewhat forgiving, since this is where new players get their first taste of the game. Although some will graduate from this level of action and move up through the tiers, desiring to challenge themselves with increasingly more difficult scenarios, others will choose to stay in what some call "the kiddie pool." The reasons are many for some players not wanting to advance any higher, from having a strong affection for that era of aircraft and playstyle, to exploiting the skill level of gameplay for a sense of self worth and bragging rights.

Suffice it to say, I don't play the lower tiers too much, preferring to be more of a mid-to-higher tiered participant in an attempt to collect on much better experience and credit returns from those battles. However, I figured I would try and collect as much as possible from this battle, by using the multipliers associated with a premium aircraft and the rear gunner equipped, Japanese Ki-8 Fighter seemed like the right choice.

I had no idea the payoff was going to be quite this good....

Quesnel #167 Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Is a win worth dying for?

That can be a bit of a tricky question, depending on what type of player a person is. Some value staying alive, even at the hands of a defeat, at all costs. Other choose a much more reckless playstyle than even I would dare to try. However, there are those that see the returns in an almost guaranteed victory, squeezing out the very last they can get out of their aircraft to maximize a credit and experience payout.

Never underestimate the power of Lady Luck, she has this untimely talent of making herself known....

Quesnel #168 Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Long ago, in a time before bots were even a consideration to help populate regular, random battles, I had this dream.

Clear your mind and imagine, if you will, a map called Asian Border and both teams are flying jets. One side would be in North American F-86 Sabres, the other would pilot their arch nemesis, the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15. Immerse yourself into the high speed aerial action and interesting ingame cross chat, sound like fun?

However, this was also a time before the Mikoyan-Gurevich line was even introduced to the game, so I settled on the goal of what I believed to be the next best, current-for-the-time alternative, the Yakovlev Yak-30. I thought that the F-86 might have been the more popular choice and somebody has to fly those "enemy" planes. Over the years, it has been a start and stop endeavour, breaking into jets with the tier VIII Yak-15, wander off and play other stuff, return and push up to the Yak-19 at tier IX and detour myself again to other things....

The jet propelled Yaks had that playstyle I was looking for, highly maneuverable, decent rate of climb and they could turn exceptionally well. The trade off was fairly poor weapons accuracy, guns that overheated too quickly for my liking and they really couldn't take a serious hit. Despite that, these aircraft delivered a speed and fun factor that I hadn't experienced before and couldn't wait to try and make that dream battle into a reality.

Sadly, that didn't and won't come to pass.

The bitter reality of the here and now is there are more bots than real people flying in sorties, thanks to all the events that took place over the passage of time. Many players who already have acquired a F-86 and/or the later released MiG-15 have moved on to other things and far too few new players are comfortable with playing other aircraft in different tiers. To even organize such an event these days, would take a monumental effort and one would have to secure prizes for the participants, since the impression I am left with is people will only play for a tangible reward, not so much the experience of the moment. The golden era of "what could have been" has come and gone.

However, I still hold on to that dream, even if it is to satisfy my own goal of scratching it off my game "bucket list" and took out my Yak-19 to terrorize the skies.... 

Edited by Quesnel, 14 March 2017 - 07:40 PM.

Quesnel #169 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Before you keep reading or come up with the wrong idea, this isn't a "brag post," despite the outcome of this particular battle.

Most of the time, I just hit the record button while in the hangar and let the cameras roll during the next single or series of battles and edit them up for the content I want to publish and share. Granted, I put out more winning videos than defeats and the reason behind that has to do with mostly negative and non-constructive comments from "Armchair Air Marshals," something I have experienced from past publications (there are those who do and have offered real, helpful advice and I thank them for sharing their insight). 

This just happened to be another one of those occasions where the action was already being recorded, but this time, I saw an old and familiar name. pyantoryng is one of those players who has been around even longer than I have (and more consistently too). In fact, I have a few screenshots from my early days of them on either my team or the enemy's. I even have a few of being shot down by them, but that is another story altogether. Of all the names I have seen come and go over the years, it's nice to see those from the start are still around.

Nevertheless, here is a rare sight, the both of us in the same battle. Sadly, one of us got the wrong team....

pyantoryng #170 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

Ahh...it just happened...:unsure:

...not that getting robbed of Gabreski by 300 ping prior to that match helped any...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #171 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 March 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Ahh...it just happened...:unsure:

...not that getting robbed of Gabreski by 300 ping prior to that match helped any...

Not sure if you noticed, but I tried to leave you alone to do what you could do.

pyantoryng #172 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 16 March 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Not sure if you noticed, but I tried to leave you alone to do what you could do.

Well, I didn't...:hiding:

I got blown up real quick right after though...oh well.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #173 Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Since today is what it is, here is a little touch of Irish Trivia....

Part of an original serial run of forty units built between March and August 1940, by Canadian Car and Foundry Corporation of Montreal, Quebec, P5178 was delivered to RAF in 1940. Taken on strength and assigned to No. 79 Squadron at Pembrey, Wales.

In September of that same year, P5178, flown by P/O Paul Mayhew, intercepted Kampfgeschwader 55 over the Irish Sea. After shooting down one Heinkel He 111P and sustaining damage during the sortie, the Hurricane was forced to land due to fuel issues in Wexford, Ireland. There are conflicting reports the Hurricane was captured (Ireland had claimed neutrality during World War II) or purchased from the British Governement.

P/O Paul Mayhew was interned, but later escaped to Northern Ireland in June, 1941. In February, 1942, P/O Paul Mayhew succumbed to injuries sustained in a crash, never regained consciousness and died.

P5178, now assigned with Irish Air Corps Serial No.93, was the first Hawker Hurricane to enter Irish service with the Advanced Training Section, Air Corps Training Schools in March (some sources say May) of 1942. Transferred to No.1 Fighter Squadron at Baldonnel, Ireland in 1943, was withdrawn from use in August of 1945 (other sources claim a last flight in May, 1946) and later scrapped.

Quesnel #174 Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

There might not be an Irish Air Corps version of the Hawker Hurricane currently in the game, I still felt inspired to take out my premium (and loved by a select few) IID out for a good St. Paddy's Day paddlin'.

Here is how it all went down....

Quesnel #175 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

After not having access to a computer (at least, one with WOWP installed) and not able to collect more for the Exquisite Achievements special that was running this past weekend, I sat down and had my own personal "mini-marathon" to grind out the Mustang H. In the real world, is moving time again, just across town, but I doubt I will get any free time to play in the virtual skies.

With the Mustang D now put to pasture, here is the first battle with the Mustang H....

Quesnel #176 Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

When it comes to being a graphic artist, let's be kind and say I have very rudimentary skills. I have created images through the resident Windows Paint program over the years, mostly copy, pasting and altering other pictures I have found. On occasion, I have even created original works of art, but the quality of those could be judged through the eyes of the beholder.

Nevertheless, I started my search for a decent skin for the P-51H some time ago, but never found one that really screamed "pick me." Instead, through a very technical means of exploring the game client files, exporting a template to Paint and then transferring over to another graphics program, I have created a non-historical look for my latest Mustang. I wanted a simple modern and close to gun metal look as I could create with my meager skills. I think I didn't do too badly on my first attempt.

If there is anyone out there who is interested in this skin and/or a "weathered aluminum" variant that I first created, let me know and I will upload them and post a link.

Having said all of that, here was my first battle of the day, wearing the new paint scheme and demonstrating a few things of what not to do in a battle....

Edited by Quesnel, 21 March 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Quesnel #177 Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Not happy with my two previous custom skin results (kinda blah, really), I decided to draw some inspiration from a near-future, real world project I will be attempting....

Although my son wanted and got a model tank (PZKW VI Ausf.B "King Tiger" in 1:76 scale), I wanted a warplane and the Mustang was the only thing I considered "decent" from the selection at the time. Despite the fact that we will be working on two distinctly different projects, as a parent, it is my hope that it will be done together, in each other's company. I might document my first build of a model aircraft in about thirty years. If anything, it might prove entertaining.

While I didn't match the colors exactly from the box, I went with a more "blue" variation of the British camouflage from the era. Besides, green camouflage in a blue sky?

Nevertheless, I am not enjoying much success with my new Mustang H. Part of the problem is the serious lack of upgrades and I am flying it like my "Elited" Mustang D (which wasn't too proper either). Here is a recent battle....that....hmmm....watch for yourself and leave a comment on what you saw.

Quesnel #178 Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Hard to know which way to label this battle, annoying or frustrating. But when you and an enemy aircraft are aerial dancing and both are just waiting for that opportune moment to strike....that never comes....

Quesnel #179 Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles

Taking a break from flying the Mustang H, a trip to the messy mid-tiers with an old, premium friend....

If you are old enough to remember, thanks for not allowing me to be alone with the memories.

GhostPrime #180 Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1545 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Hey Quesnel, 

Thanks for posting these videos of your battles in these planes! Very cool! 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users