Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

Quesnel #361 Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 04 August 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Will you be getting that Dunkirk Spitfire today?

Yes I will, but first....

For the final part of Operation Dynamo, I wanted to it to end with a big bang.

I have been rather reluctant to fly my top tiered British aircraft, the tier IX Gloster P.228 in the past, for a few reasons. Despite having a very strong resemblance to the Gloster Meteor (in fact, the P.228 is a two seater Meteor for all intents and purposes, just a little more grown up and put on a few extra pounds), it doesn't fly like it. While having a fantastic climb and dive rate, strong boost characteristics and decent firepower, the maneuverability of this aircraft falls very short, as compared to say, the Germans. Evasive turns haven't been a successful option in the past and when I need to spool up the engines for a fast get away, more often than not, I discover I have already overheated them.

Then, there's the price one pays to fly in the top tiers. Granted, if I produce average or better battle results and stay alive, the rewards can be quite lucrative. A defeat and death hurts not only the pride but the bank takes a serious hit as well.

Nevertheless, I was willing to take a chance on myself and this plane in combat for a grand finale....

I bet nobody saw that coming.

Claiming my results from that performance was achieved solely through skill would be nothing more than a self-delusional, patronizing statement, at best. I know I got lucky, no denying that, but I will accept whatever help, be it from ingame Allies, oblivious enemies or some unexplainable, outside force that many refuse to acknowledge exists.

After one more battle for the final victory required....

....I could claim my prize.

Despite the fact I was able to make the time to start, participate and complete the Dunkirk Spitfire Ia, I am glad I didn't try to push too hard and attempt the Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 as well. With the surprise and short window of opportunity LaGG-3-4 event, I would have been greatly disappointed to have to abandon one task to complete another, or push myself beyond my leisure limits and time available for all three aircraft. Besides, I have never been a big fan of marathons and avoiding any chance of putting a certain sour taste in my mouth, the better.

I set out with a goal and I achieved it.

pyantoryng #362 Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 496 battles

I can hear you haven't got ADEN cannons on that P228 of yours yet...

...and I do utterly crap in HG2 that I think I do better even in the 228, but that was back when my HG2 was using stock gun. With guns upgraded both are about equal, while F2H being best HF just because it's maneuverable...

Congratuations on your acquisition...having actual real life and grinding that much must not be easy...

Edited by pyantoryng, 04 August 2017 - 09:15 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #363 Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 04 August 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

Congratuations on your acquisition...having actual real life and grinding that much must not be easy...

It's a fine line balance that helps when you have an understanding (and patient) family.

Quesnel #364 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

Well, I earned it, might as well fly it!

Aesthetically, the Dunkirk Spitfire mirrors the real/movie version, albeit with a few emblem additions. The camouflage pattern and coloring are a near perfect match, but the game pilot is lacking the mask the live action actors wore.

Left, Stock Spitfire I. Center, Spitfire Ia. Right, fully upgraded Spitfire I.

As you can see by the numbers above, the Dunkirk Spitfire is a lot closer to it's kited out tech tree version in many areas, over the plain offering. However, numbers don't complete the true picture of how the plane would actually perform in battle conditions, that is up to the player to decide and control....

The Dunkirk Spitfire's main strengths lie in it's spectacular maneuverability and unique pilot. I have never flown a plane like this ingame before and saying I was just impressed would be a serious understatement. With proper situational awareness and familiarity with the environment on a given map, this aircraft should be able to get itself out of most hazardous situations, if the player recognizes the danger and acts accordingly.

There is a downside to the Dunkirk Spitfire, the firepower. I am very familiar with the hitting power and heat cycle of the .303 machine guns from other British aircraft and the Ia brings a bit of disappointment to the battle with below average damage output potential. British guns are very much like paper shredders, picking apart whatever they are aimed at. But this, felt like I was shooting rubber bullets and just getting lucky by hitting the thin spots on enemy aircraft. This is my first impression and subject to change with further, future use.

Overall, is it worth it? The mission, by all means yes. Broken into three parts, Operation Dynamo could by accomplished by playing a few hours a day. Mind you that would have to be every day at a decent pace (I don't recommend sitting down and binge gaming until each part was completed. Take breaks, go for short walks, visit real people, etc).

Is it worth buying? Yes and no. If you are a serious collector or you won't have the time to complete the missions (because real life happens), then sure, go for it. For me, the price point (despite all the extras you get with it) seems a bit high for just this one aircraft (the better value is to buy the combo package and putting the Dunkirk 109 in the hangar too).

Although I have only taken to the air once in the Dunkirk Spitfire, I think I might have just found a new regular favorite.

pyantoryng #365 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 496 battles

50 kills? A couple games in low tier helps significantly...

30 wins? This truly take time, but low tier, again, helps.

30k EXP? Go as high in the tiers as you possibly can and do your best...All the high tier planes I have at this point made this part a breeze...and my BV210 almost singlehandedly satisfied the Axis requirement, it is THAT good...

Easy if you are well-established...not so much if not, but certainly is doable until the 30k EXP where you really need to put in more effort to make it in time.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #366 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 05 August 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Easy if you are well-established...not so much if not, but certainly is doable until the 30k EXP where you really need to put in more effort to make it in time.

I believe that a new player (not a brand new one who just started playing when the event launched, but one that has been playing a month or two prior) had the potential to complete all the parts of Operation Dynamo within the time limit. With no tier restrictions and a very generous pool of available aircraft (especially for the Allied part, the Axis portion is a bit more limited), the opportunity was there and doable.

Besides, if I could get it done with just British aircraft, the same eight or nine planes, over and over....

Quesnel #367 Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

Despite just writing up an article about the tier IV LaGG-3-4 a few days ago, I decided to see if I could at least top that first battle with something producing better results. I believe I pulled it off....

Quesnel #368 Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

With Operation Dynamo over, at least for me, I am kinda at an impasse on what to do next.

Despite playing just about all my British aircraft to complete the latest mission, I find myself either wanting to start on something new or revisit some old lines that have....stalled. Until I make up my mind on the next step forward, or receive a suggestion on the something that might pique my interest, I'll just pick aircraft randomly and post awesome or interesting battle videos with a few comments.

For this time around, I picked the tier IX Yak-19 Soviet Fighter and discovered I am more than just a little rusty when it comes to flying single engine jets....

Quesnel #369 Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

Although the Western World has been awake for a few hours now (those on the East Coast can add a few more to that), the quiet news of this being the 72nd Anniversary of the second and final nuclear bomb drop on Japan, namely Nagasaki, isn't making the rounds on the major media outlets (although the bombing happened on August the 9th, some new agencies reported a day later, much like I am doing here). In fact, I almost forgot about it myself, if it weren't for one of my "This Day in History" notifications I get.

I suppose this is as good as inspiration as any to return to Japanese aircraft, restart flying the Navy line and perhaps, take a look at the offerings from the Army branch.

Edited by Quesnel, 10 August 2017 - 06:32 PM.

Quesnel #370 Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

It has been quite some time since I last flew the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden and was somewhat surprised to see a rather large amount of banked experience when I took to the skies in it today. I had two choices, go for the mid-grade engine or the next set of weapons, over stock. After a few minutes of seriously considering the options, such as a slightly better damage output potential, at the expense of a greatly reduced firerate, I opted for the engine and hopped it was the better decision.

Up until a certain part of the following battle, things were looking pretty good and I felt assured the new engine had worked out just fine. Then, I touched wings with a teammate and what happened after that was more of a pleasant surprise than I expected....

Claudio67 #371 Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 28 battles

Wow. Nice surprise, kudos for Snapper! And good battle, btw, and ever more considering the awful ping and packet losses you had.

pyantoryng #372 Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 496 battles

The problem with the gun switch is not so much the fire rate as the completely different usage the 30mms entail...and with all weapons essentially the same at this point it might be better to stay with the old 20mm for a while longer if you find it serviceable.

Back in the time when I first got my J7W1 years ago I FXP the 30mm immediately and the high velocity combined with power (unlike the German MK 108 which was crappy due to low velocity) did not disappoint. With all the velocity normalized post-1.9 going to 30mm is a matter of preference...heck, the Ta 183 at T9 works better without its 30mm...though that's using T6 guns at T9, which is still crap.

...I thought your J7W1 transformed into J7W2 on the fly with that shot for a moment...

Quesnel #373 Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View PostClaudio67, on 11 August 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Wow. Nice surprise, kudos for Snapper! And good battle, btw, and ever more considering the awful ping and packet losses you had.

Yeah, Snapper_Pi was really good about what happened. Far too often, it usually goes the other way and the negative emotional explosion nearly melts the monitor. As for the ping and packet losses, I really didn't even notice them, most of my shots were still landing when/where I was aiming.

View Postpyantoryng, on 11 August 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

...I thought your J7W1 transformed into J7W2 on the fly with that shot for a moment...

Now that would have been a very fortunate glitch for me!

Edited by Quesnel, 11 August 2017 - 07:49 PM.

pyantoryng #374 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 496 battles
I would love to have the J7W series painted in that watermelon pattern...actually, that watermelon paint is one of the reason I keep the J7W1 around before anniversary was a thing...

Quesnel #375 Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 12 August 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

I would love to have the J7W series painted in that watermelon pattern...actually, that watermelon paint is one of the reason I keep the J7W1 around before anniversary was a thing...

I am rather fond of that pattern too, but there is another that is higher on my "I really like it" list....

When folks talk about Boom and Zoom fighters, the North American Mustang and/or Messerschmitt Bf 109 are the usual planes that tops most people's lists. These two deadly aerial rivals overshadow an unlikely contender from a nation not know to produce aircraft in the same vein.

However, when flown by players who are far better than yours truly, their performance and results can be downright staggering....

pyantoryng #376 Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 496 battles
One of the free stuff I managed to ground (the first and last time WoWP counts ALL experience rather than combat AKA base experience for a mission)...as with most derp gun planes, can't get much good result from it...

Quesnel #377 Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 13 August 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

...as with most derp gun planes, can't get much good result from it...

As you might already know, those big cannons are most effective either really close in, or by a taking a long, lead shot and hoping the target just flies into it, like this....

Some additional offsite thoughts here.

Edited by Quesnel, 14 August 2017 - 07:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users