Return of a Remnant

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

Quesnel #1 Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

Once again, I have started another in a long line of gameplay and commentary threads on the World of Warplanes forums. Most times (okay, just about every time) I start one of these right on Patch Day of a major update. This time, I am jumping into the action, near the end of this version. Also, you might have noticed the title I have chosen this time around, let me explain.

The meaning of remnant from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary is this:

1a. a usually small part, member or trace remaining,

1b. a small surviving group - often used in plural.

2. an unsold, or unused end piece of goods.

I leave it up to your imagination to which meaning in this context I was going with.

Nevertheless, I decided to download a fresh install of Planes onto a new computer, replacing my old desktop with over eight years of somewhat reliable service. That is when the first of many issues started. However, instead of airing that short laundry list of problems, I made a video of my first battle back in the game. Can you see something very important missing, outside the battle arena itself?

Edited by Quesnel, 02 June 2016 - 08:48 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

Colonel

• 34638 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
Are you talkng about the new queue screen?  The tiers are missing... is that it?

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #3 Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20848 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
rev·e·nant
ˈrevəˌnäN,-nənt/
noun
noun: revenant; plural noun: revenants
  1. a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.
Origin

early 19th century: French, literally ‘coming back,’ present participle (used as a noun) of revenir .

The mouse cursor is wearing the cloak of invisibility and it will return in patch 1.9.5.1945

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 01 June 2016 - 01:27 AM.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

MagusGerhardt #4 Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:02 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I liked the vid!

You should have spliced in the "Jeopardy!" theme while waiting for the queue to drop you into a match.  :teethhappy:

I did notice that after the battle your mouse cursor did not show up in the recording; I'm not sure if it also did not show up in the game for you.

If you're using Bandicam to record this, as I do, you need to go into Bandicam's settings and ensure that "Show Mouse Cursor" and "Add Mouse Click Effects" are both enabled so that the mouse cursor shows up in the recording as well if it's something you want viewers to see.

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 01 June 2016 - 03:10 AM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #5 Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:20 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 01 June 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

rev·e·nant
ˈrevəˌnäN,-nənt/
noun
noun: revenant; plural noun: revenants
  1. a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.
Origin

early 19th century: French, literally ‘coming back,’ present participle (used as a noun) of revenir .

The mouse cursor is wearing the cloak of invisibility and it will return in patch 1.9.5.1945

Okay, you got me.

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 01 June 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

I liked the vid!

You should have spliced in the "Jeopardy!" theme while waiting for the queue to drop you into a match.  :teethhappy:

I did notice that after the battle your mouse cursor did not show up in the recording; I'm not sure if it also did not show up in the game for you.

If you're using Bandicam to record this, as I do, you need to go into Bandicam's settings and ensure that "Show Mouse Cursor" and "Add Mouse Click Effects" are both enabled so that the mouse cursor shows up in the recording as well if it's something you want viewers to see.

Actually, I am using Nvidia ShadowPlay. It's a something-something with Windows 10 that should be fixed now, I hope.

GeorgePatton #6 Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7718 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Which card are you running, Q? Also, good to see you back mate!

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Quesnel #7 Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 01 June 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Which card are you running, Q? Also, good to see you back mate!

It's a GeForce GTX 960M, came in this http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=nxps15550_bt_h1624pe&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop

CogKnispel #8 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2160 battles
  • [PROWL] PROWL

Nice to see you around... refrained from saying back...

Quesnel #9 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View PostCogKnispel, on 01 June 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Nice to see you around... refrained from saying back...

Well, perhaps a vacation is what I might have needed?

So, I started a new thread with a glorious defeat in my tier II Japanese Ki-8, not quite the way I wanted to get things going, but at least I am honest. However, this hasn't sat with me too well since I posted that video and I have been known to be....determined, when I put my mind to a worthwhile goal (well, if I think it's worth pursuing). Having said that, I tried again to collect a win with my low tiered fighter and capture it as it happens.

Nope, seems either I hit the wrong buttons, my neighbor's cat running across their keyboard, a backfiring car four towns over, whatever, I didn't get it the first time. As much as I dislike building a movie out of a replay (especially with the HUD visible) I went ahead and did it anyways. I haven't touched anything, in an attempt to show how I look around at my environment and interact with all the action taking place in my proximity. Plus, I get to fly my plane, my way and no doubt, I would have ripped the wings off in real life performing these stunts.

But, this is just one of those moments that I live for, watch and maybe you might see the thrill I get from the hunt and chase.

Edited by Quesnel, 02 June 2016 - 08:49 PM.

Claudio67 #10 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15721 battles

Welcome back Q! :honoring:

Quesnel #11 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View PostClaudio67, on 01 June 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

Welcome back Q! :honoring:

Thanks Claudio :honoring:

Porkins_Jr #12 Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Nice to see you posting again, look forward to more!

Quesnel #13 Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

It's Patch Day! However, there are two hot topics (at the time of this posting) that I will touch on here. First, a new premium aircraft, coming in at tier VII, called the Kostikov 302.

In a nutshell, it's a rocket/ramjet propulsion aircraft that was a dead end development for the Soviets in World War II. Now, it's a very limited time offering, that many have already put into their hangars, except me. Here's why. First, after reading some posts about comparing it to the same tiered Gloster Meteor, I did just that. By the numbers, if I were to put full trust into those, I only give up altitude and firepower by using the Meteor. However, the boost factor isn't part of the visible equation, no doubt I will encounter that variable in the near future.

Secondly, it's the price. From my part of the planet, it will cost me $40.53 (USD, after exchange) for the 302 Bundle. Even a Gold top-up will run me $36.73, just to put one into my one of 42 empty hangar slots! Oh well....

Next, new crew skills. I read the early opinions offered on these very forums, then went ingame to read through the skill descriptions and advantages myself. For the pilot of the aircraft I wanted to fly, I chose Eagle-Eyed for that 20% enemy detection bonus, Battle Tested for reduced injury and increased damage controllability, ending with Resilience, for that magic healing and repair process, should I come too close to death.

So, with my pilot trained up and picking an old favorite that I haven't flown in months, how did that first, cold battle of the new update go?

Porkins_Jr #14 Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Cool, still haven't been able to get on the game...looking forward to picking skills.

Quesnel #15 Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

To be perfectly honest, Heavy Fighters were never my forte. I have been a part of many battles and watched in absolute awe as others fly these aircraft with a certain style and grace that I had always wanted to posses. I have sat through quite a few videos and forum posts along the way, looking for tips and hints to try and improve my game in them, mostly to revert to absent minded moments that have just turned me into a flaming wreck. This time, things turned out rather well.

Before my last absence, I came up with this crazy idea of trying to use Heavy Fighters as GA hunters. I discovered and stubbornly ignored this wasn't a stellar plan. Fighting from on high is one of the qualities that give this class of aircraft their advantage. Swooping down and filling a target full of lead, then zipping up and away before they realized what just happen, that is, if they are still alive to do so. However, I held to the notion that my way would work. Giving up that precious altitude advantage to attack GA's on their turf, suffering from an almost complete loss of favorable maneuverability....nope, those days are over. I might still suffer from those "Oh yeah, I can do this" moments, but I will try my best to keep those in check.

Now, with 1.9.5, throw in the new, revised skills and I have to fit all of this into my plan of improving. For that, I have decided to rely on the Community and their thoughts on the best course of action for choices. However, Cruise Flight appeared to be the best logical and first selection to go with and so I did.

I am not sure if it's because of my absence, the fact I am playing a fresh install of the game (not a overly-patched version dating back to the Beta Days), all of this is happening on a brand new computer or a combination of all of the above, but the game feels....good. The aircraft give the impression of being a lot more responsive, barley any noticeable lag between the movement I want and seeing it happen on my screen.

Right now, I am bouncing back and forth between two capture programs. One, came with Windows 10 called Game Bar. The second is ShadowPlay that was part of the Nvidia Experience software suite. I bring this up as I am trying to determine which would be the better one to use, since the game still taxes a lot of memory and I want to capture the gameplay moments, as they happen.

Of the four videos I have posted so far, the first two were made with ShadowPlay, the last two with Game Bar. Comments and feedback welcome.

Edited by Quesnel, 03 June 2016 - 11:00 PM.

Porkins_Jr #16 Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

Another great post as usual Quesnel.

Agree that the game feels better. I think some changes were made behind the scenes. I think the afterburner effect from the jet planes was tweaked, for instance...looks better. And the sound seems a bit tweaked too. Flying seems smoother (and I am not using a fresh install).

Quesnel #17 Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

To end off my first week back in World of Warplanes, I figured I would finally get around to putting some of my GA's into the air. Like last time, I have made the decision to abstain from flying the Soviet variety and stick with my German offerings.

Based on reading a few trusted player sources from these very forums, I selected what appeared to be some appropriate new skills for the pilot and tail-gunner. Then, I settled in a what I thought was going to be a round of some good flying times....

Quesnel #18 Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

The last premium aircraft I earned from ingame events was the tier V Heinkel He 100, way back when http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/41298-to-the-air-one-more-time-prelude-to-19/page__st__220__pid__600859#entry600859

Very soon, another marathon for a premium aircraft will begin, this time for a tier VI Mustang IA. Phase One looks to be an attainable 50 wins over a period of time, using planes from tier IV and up.

Phase Two is at the upper end of doable, with dealing out 30,000 points of damage to enemy aircraft, across the nations. Not unreasonable, but not too easy for the average player either. I could prepare for putting in a lot of flight time to stand a chance of putting the latest Mustang offering into my hangar, but with my real life schedule, I am not sure if my desire to obtain this aircraft will become a reality.

There is an upside alternative, I could just buy the original Mustang I, since it's available through the ingame shop. I dunno, I will just play it by ear and see if fortune will favor this fool.

MagusGerhardt #19 Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The Cannon-stang makes a triumphant return!

Faster, Q, faster!  Kill, kill! :playing:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #20 Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 04 June 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

The Cannon-stang makes a triumphant return!

Faster, Q, faster!  Kill, kill! :playing:

Yeah, looks like it could be fun, just out of the good old days.

Edited by Quesnel, 04 June 2016 - 04:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users