Rear gunner control ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Zapperguy #21 Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34130 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

My story isn't nearly as good as yours. It's been my online moniker since the late 1990s. Before I became obsessed with the internet, I used to rule the TV remotes (zappers) in our house - ergo Zapperguy.

You'll enjoy bomb killing once you get the hang of it. It is one of my favorite aspects of the game. They are incredibly satisfying. My favorite bomb kills are against jets doing almost everything right and attacking from the side, but maybe they strayed a little lower than they intended. Blowing up a 262 HG III attacking with a hardcore boom & zoom approach from the side will give you a perma-grin unrivaled by anything else in this game. The real art to bomb kills is baiting the enemy close enough to catch them in the blast. Good luck & have fun.

:)

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Pogo68 #22 Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18528 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostZapperguy, on 13 May 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

You'll enjoy bomb killing once you get the hang of it. It is one of my favorite aspects of the game. They are incredibly satisfying. My favorite bomb kills are against jets doing almost everything right and attacking from the side, but maybe they strayed a little lower than they intended. Blowing up a 262 HG III attacking with a hardcore boom & zoom approach from the side will give you a perma-grin unrivaled by anything else in this game. The real art to bomb kills is baiting the enemy close enough to catch them in the blast. Good luck & have fun.

:)

Or catching up to them then flying past them to drop a bomb in front of them.

The blast radius is smaller now, so it's a bit harder to get a kill with a bomb, but still fairly fun.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Lager_2015 #23 Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:27 AM

Master Sergeant

• 643 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostWhiskeyInYourWater, on 13 May 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

Lager, I was being sarcastic paraphrasing another pilot when I said it takes no skill to hit with a tail gunner.  It is automatic when he fires, but experience can teach you the skill of making sure the enemy is in the TG's arc of fire and how to react depending on the enemy's HPs, type of plane, etc....  In a heavy fighter, I have learned to put more enemies in that arc by turning, or even flying upside down.  Sometimes I can take out an enemy with my front guns while flying upside down to  put another enemy in  that arc at the same time.  There are skills that can be learned where RGs are concerned

I'm pretty thick skinned Whiskey, I took no offense if you were wondering about that.  I appreciate your experience and willing to share it with us all. That was the idea in my first post.

Lager_2015 #24 Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 643 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostZapperguy, on 13 May 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

My story isn't nearly as good as yours. It's been my online moniker since the late 1990s. Before I became obsessed with the internet, I used to rule the TV remotes (zappers) in our house - ergo Zapperguy.

You'll enjoy bomb killing once you get the hang of it. It is one of my favorite aspects of the game. They are incredibly satisfying. My favorite bomb kills are against jets doing almost everything right and attacking from the side, but maybe they strayed a little lower than they intended. Blowing up a 262 HG III attacking with a hardcore boom & zoom approach from the side will give you a perma-grin unrivaled by anything else in this game. The real art to bomb kills is baiting the enemy close enough to catch them in the blast

Seeing your name brought back a lot of memories, I thank you for that.

I earned my nickname a lot more painfully then you did. Mine was given to me in jest at first due to an electrocution accident which I stupidly subjected my self to during a gyro change in a Huey where the crew chief saved my life. To a moniker that fit my position and stuck with me for years to come.

Really appreciate your advise concerning the advantages of flying these planes that most new guys will have passed over as they look for the glory of the fighters.

Caecias #25 Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8042 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostLager_2015, on 04 May 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Just for giggles, I  bought a TSH-2 which  has a rear a gunner. The problem is, I can see how to control it?  I am using a Thrustmaster joy stick, checked the settings tab in the game and see nothing in there.   Any suggestions?

I feed my rear gunner copious amounts of steak and beer - seems to do the trick.

Porkins_Jr #26 Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

The best bomb kills (which I haven't been able to do yet) is when you are head on with another plane but stay just a tad higher than them, then drop a bomb right into the cockpit.

Someone posted a video not long ago. I always try it but haven't succeeded yet.

Lager_2015 #27 Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

Master Sergeant

• 643 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Ive upgraded to the TSH-3 and increased the rear gunner to 75 % now and still enjoy flying the  tank.  I use it for my "go to have fun" aircraft after a few battles every night using my fighters and multies in Tier 4.  Which I fail in horribly ? So, to end the night, I call up the TSH 3, skirt under the hot dogs and go pound ground targets and let the tail gunner collect a few hits before I'm overwhelmed.  Too bad the only upgrade from there is the BSH, which I have and find totally useless.

Lager_2015 #28 Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:43 AM

Master Sergeant

• 643 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Oh what fun, I just added bombs last night  .    Even managed to take out a fighter when I dropped one on his plane during a face to face pass.  Pure luck..

FreeFOXMIKE #29 Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 18856 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

angle your Aircraft so the tail gunner has a better line of fire

changing yaw and pitch helps but thats about it

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 01 July 2016 - 07:29 AM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

Chuck_norris10 #30 Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22061 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostLager_2015, on 05 May 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Thanks for all the great advise.   I thought I was going to be able to control my rear gunner because in flight sim games I had in the past, I was able to. When I was not able to, thus my question..  Its all good, thanks for the information.

I only bought this plane  for fun, I remember getting shot down a lot  back in the tier 2 by these planes and thought it would be a good distraction from the more intense higher tier planes I usually fly.

Imagine my surprise when I first flew the  TSH-2 last night, this sled wont turn, wont climb. I'm thinking I'm dead meat but I do have a tail gunner which I can control.

Nope, he's asleep at the stick.

Seems like I'm going to have to suffer a bit more before he becomes responsive, I want to thank everyone for their input.

It's an awesome beast and you can control the TG's firing arc by doing the dolphin(self explanatory) and you will quickly see what works and what does not.

I has enough guns to decimate most challenging you head on and you win most rams. Next plane is the TSH3 which has even more guns and is very good for bombkilling.

I find a gentle tipping of the wings from side to side will keep an enemy in the arc and you should be able to see your hits if he is targeted on radar.

I like the slow,clumsy ugly duckling planes but thats what I mostly have flown in all my real life for work.

Chuck_norris10 #31 Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22061 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostLager_2015, on 27 June 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

Ive upgraded to the TSH-3 and increased the rear gunner to 75 % now and still enjoy flying the  tank.  I use it for my "go to have fun" aircraft after a few battles every night using my fighters and multies in Tier 4.  Which I fail in horribly ? So, to end the night, I call up the TSH 3, skirt under the hot dogs and go pound ground targets and let the tail gunner collect a few hits before I'm overwhelmed.  Too bad the only upgrade from there is the BSH, which I have and find totally useless.

The LBSH has the TG but the BSH is also very deadly in the right hands.

Lager_2015 #32 Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• 643 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Chuck, you are absolutely correct about the BSH. I was using the aircraft all wrong. I since outfitted it with upgraded guns and bombs and use it as a ground pounder. Once Ive wreaked havoc on the ground, I then search for the wounded once the fighters and bombers have run them selves thin and have become quite successful with this sled.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users