joystick shopping

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SpyHawk9 #1 Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:54 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 37 battles
so im looking to get a joystick but idk what to get. usually when i play the game i use my mouse and keyboard and it works for me, but i want to get a joystick because i hear its easier to play with the game. im here asking you guys who have one and want to see whats a good choice for me. im not looking into getting anything too fancy. any suggestions? 

DrSinister #2 Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4769 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, a lot of people are using these and they are cheap.  Since 2012 that I have been with WoWp, I am on my 2nd one (uses traditional pots and they wear after a while) but that is countered with them being very cheap to buy/replace.

Thrustmaster T.16000M, this is at the moment the cheapest Magnetic Hall Sensor joystick on the market.  The Magnetic Hall Sensors are a lot more sensitive compared to traditional pots but also wear a lot less. Also this stick is ambidextrous.

Psicko23 #3 Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18531 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I use the logitech 3d pro myself. It's about 30 dollars or so. Beware the stock settings make it twitchy. There are some guides regarding joysticks on this forum. If you find me in game I can give you the settings I use. I use the settings that bobezeebear uses and other joystick users use. 

hawkeyededic #4 Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3020 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 11 April 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Thrustmaster T.16000M, this is at the moment the cheapest Magnetic Hall Sensor joystick on the market.  The Magnetic Hall Sensors are a lot more sensitive compared to traditional pots but also wear a lot less. Also this stick is ambidextrous.

Heads up though, I bought one about 2 years ago, during CBT, the springs for the buttons on the sides are weak, I already have 2 that are not working anymore, the buttons depressed one day and would not return to non-contact position. Otherwise it is a very nice joystick and very comfortable in the hand.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Zapperguy #5 Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32663 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is what I use. I'm on my 4th one since 2012 with >30k battles logged. I wouldn't say using a joystick is "easier". Most people who try switching from mouse/keyboard to joystick do struggle for a bit initially. Joysticks allow you full control of the plane but aiming is challenging, while the mouse/keyboard combo does some moves automatically, albeit not as precise as a stick for maneuvering, it is easier to aim with a mouse. I would never play a flying game without a joystick or a 1st person view (I use a camera mod to achieve this in WoWP).  This combo allows for much more immersion and a sense of actual flight IMO.

Here's an old clip of my camera mod. The current version is essentially the same.

Here's an example of what actual gameplay looks like in first person.

My camera mod (which only works with a joystick), other camera mods (that work with any controller), and several other mods are available in this thread: DrSinister's Mod List Installer v1.6.0 for Patch 1.9.4

Another option for mods is: Pigeon Kickers Mod World

Happy flying with whatever controller you choose, and I hope to see you in the skies!

:honoring:

Edited by Zapperguy, 12 April 2016 - 12:32 PM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

BrushWolf #6 Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10677 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostPsicko23, on 11 April 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

I use the logitech 3d pro myself. It's about 30 dollars or so. Beware the stock settings make it twitchy. There are some guides regarding joysticks on this forum. If you find me in game I can give you the settings I use. I use the settings that bobezeebear uses and other joystick users use. 

I have my joystick curves for my Extreme 3D Pro start out very gradual and then ramp up quickly so small movements of the stick produce slow movements of the plane but large movements produce fast movements. Think of a big curved reversed L.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

tahee59 #7 Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8032 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
I also use the 3d pro but on stock settings , 4 so far playin this game

BrushWolf #8 Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10677 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Posttahee59, on 12 April 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

I also use the 3d pro but on stock settings , 4 so far playin this game

I am on my third stick with this game. When I started I had an ancient but new enough for USB Saitek from when they made good products. When that died I bought the 3D Pro and am on my second one of them.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

PostTraumatic #9 Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 19733 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

I use the 3D pro also and i like the button layout but I wish I could have a separate left hand trust control instead of the little thrust controller that is on the joystick.  Overall this is the staple joystick for the game that most players use.   I have customized the buttons to my liking and I have adjusted the sensitivity to how i like it.

Sometimes the joystick goes out of calibration and it requires re-calibration in windows.  I have to do this often for some reason.  I don't know if the springs are weak.  I have roughly 19k battles on this joystick as I started using this one during CBT.  So I have gotten my moneys worth out of it without a doubt

Pogo68 #10 Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17650 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

CH Flightstick, a bit expensive but robust with silky smooth inputs.

I'm still using the same one I purchased five years ago

Just don't yank on it like your arm wrestling a gorilla or spill coffee or soda on it and it will last nearly forever.

In the five years before I purchased the CH joystick, I had purchased 2 Logitech 3d's, Saitek X45's.

Of these, only the throttle quadrant from Saitek's is still working.

Edited by Pogo68, 13 April 2016 - 05:18 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

King_James_elc #11 Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Master Sergeant

• 10001 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

I use the Logitech since the early days. Recently it started drifting, freezing during some battles, though, usually fixed with unplugging/plugging it back. Not fun when you are in a fur ball and realize you airplane is not flying as usual. Lost kills and got killed.

Maybe I should open it and clean? Nah, they are cheap, will just buy a new one

King_James_elc.png

Zapperguy #12 Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32663 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostKing_James_elc, on 18 April 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I use the Logitech since the early days. Recently it started drifting, freezing during some battles, though, usually fixed with unplugging/plugging it back. Not fun when you are in a fur ball and realize you airplane is not flying as usual. Lost kills and got killed.

Maybe I should open it and clean? Nah, they are cheap, will just buy a new one

Don't be afraid to open it up. I'm on my 4th one since starting CBT in 2012. >30k battles with a ham-handed pilot will beat these sticks up. I have opened 'em all for one reason or another and extended the life of each one.

Here are some pics where I used crazy glue, toothpicks, and a cool new product to reinforce my broken throttle (It's still very solid almost 5 months later): http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/42447-joystickn/page__st__20__pid__610806#entry610806

Here is a very well done, step-by-step video on how to open it without wrecking it. 

RedSpartacus #13 Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17105 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I do have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback. I've opened it many times to fix it. What I cannot figure out is that my hat switch when moving to the right is acting up.

It sometimes work, sometimes not. The crazy part is when I keep pressing the button 2 on my joystick and move the hat switch to the right it always works.

I googled for this strange behavior but couldn't find anyone having the same issue.

Recently I got an Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2. This joystick has the same issue with the hat switch moving to the right. I don't know if this is a coincidence or if something is messed up in Windows setting.

I've tried a 3D joystick and a Thrustmaster, those work just fine.

Edited by RedSpartacus, 19 April 2016 - 03:14 PM.

RUN WITH THE PACK

King_James_elc #14 Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

Master Sergeant

• 10001 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

:great:Thanks for the tips. I was afraid of opening it and thousands of small parts just flying around.

King_James_elc.png

Zapperguy #15 Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32663 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostRedSpartacus, on 19 April 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

I do have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback. I've opened it many times to fix it. What I cannot figure out is that my hat switch when moving to the right is acting up.

It sometimes work, sometimes not. The crazy part is when I keep pressing the button 2 on my joystick and move the hat switch to the right it always works.

I googled for this strange behavior but couldn't find anyone having the same issue.

Recently I got an Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2. This joystick has the same issue with the hat switch moving to the right. I don't know if this is a coincidence or if something is messed up in Windows setting.

I've tried a 3D joystick and a Thrustmaster, those work just fine.

When troubleshooting your hat switch, don't just look at the hat & its contacts, but follow the wires. The wires for your hat switch probably run the length of the stick and move every time you move the stick. In the Logitech, these wires are very fine and break if you look at them too hard. you can hot glue gun or bondic the wire if it needs to be repaired or rebonded to whatever it could be coming loose from. You may just be looking at the wrong end of the wire for the problem.

Good Luck.

Pogo68 #16 Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17650 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

While you have it open

See if you can wrap the wires in something to protect them some.

Something like cloth tape works nicely.

It's soft and flexible but will resist wear

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

RedSpartacus #17 Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17105 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I'm not in electronics but I "re"-soldered the contacts which helped in the beginning. But after a while the same problem not getting a signal pushing the contact happened again.

I think I've to put new wires in. If I were only better in soldering.

RUN WITH THE PACK

Zapperguy #18 Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32663 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostRedSpartacus, on 25 April 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

I'm not in electronics but I "re"-soldered the contacts which helped in the beginning. But after a while the same problem not getting a signal pushing the contact happened again.

I think I've to put new wires in. If I were only better in soldering.

Red,

I quoted myself below from another thread. Check out the stuff I used in the pics. There is a link to their homepage under the pics - it's the lazy man's way to solder. As long as you make sure metal is touching metal, this stuff will lock it into place once you shine the little light on it. Add a couple coats to reinforce it, and you're good to go. It really is a cool material, that is precise and ridiculously easy to use. Good to have on hand for a variety of repairs and/or MacGyver moments.

View PostZapperguy, on 31 December 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

So, I'm resurrecting this thread to completely hijack it. :great:

As you can see in my earlier post, I tried a throttle repair method involving super glue and toothpicks. It hasn't failed, but I have modified the repair with some really cool material. It's got a ton of applications, is cheap, and easy to use.

Sorry for the poor quality pics - I blame my iPod

This stuff can even be used to "solder" while simultaneously insulating a fine wire to a circuit board. The possibilities abound. To do a repair like mine, you have to apply several thin layers. But, the stuff is ready in 5 seconds so it's not like watching paint dry. I smoothed this repair a little with a fingernail buffing cube, and it tolerated "sanding" just fine. I have no affiliation with this company, but it is something I think everybody could find a use for. Their homepage: http://notaglue.com/   Shop around. I got the 10mL one for $10 less than they have listed on their site. I'll be getting refills.

See you in the skies with a sturdy throttle!

:honoring:

RedSpartacus #19 Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17105 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Thanks Zapperguy
  RUN WITH THE PACK

SpyHawk9 #20 Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:10 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 37 battles
thanks for the recommendation guys :D ill look into them and ill see which one i like :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users