Developers' Blog: A Rousing Q&A

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Pogo68 #21 Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:56 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 17590 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

41. Will we see aircraft with variable-sweep wings at least in fun game modes?

— At the moment there’s a strictly technological limitation to implement animations for variable wing sweep. We even have a historical prototype of an aircraft that could have that in the game — the Me P.1101

Funny.

The earliest game I saw with a swing wing animation was on a 386 in 1993 game called Tornado

It had the full swing wing animation along with an all moving tail and rudder animation.

It also had a flight physics model that was well beyond what is present in this game.

Later about 2003 or so I found the swing wing F-111 in a PC program called Strike Fighters project 1

And later Falcon 3.0, Flanker, Microsoft flight simulator and so on.

In all those games, the swing wing actually effected the physics and flight characteristics of the plane, here it would just be a visual thing.

So I wonder what the actual "technical limitation" is.

Edited by Pogo68, 12 April 2016 - 01:59 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Lobo_Maximus #22 Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

Master Sergeant

• 23626 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-

View PostC0BRA_invader, on 11 April 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

it would be great to have the ability to have more than two players in a division-just two is really on the short side and is currently discouraging players who would like more of a team battle.(hard to accomplish with a limitation of two players) Does anyone out there have any idea how to bring this about?

There was a reason behind removing three man flights: The developers felt that 3 man teams were so overpowered against single (non flighted players) due to the high win rate of 3 man flights that it was necessary to give non flighted players a better chance of surviving.

found this to be an interesting one:

9. Global map: isn’t there a possibility that it might draw top clans from Tanks and increase the online player count?

— We are not aiming to cannibalize the player bases from other WG projects. Our goal is to make a good exciting game that people would play not because some other place is worse, but because it’s fun here.

Considering that Tanks is where the player base came from and Ships is where most went?

Edited by Lobo_Maximus, 12 April 2016 - 10:55 AM.

IronyAngel #23 Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1884 battles

15. Why doesn’t Wargaming invest in web marketing?

— At the moment we prioritize other ways to develop and increase the project’s popularity.

The power of positive thinking maybe?  Or is it only in Russian?

IronyAngel #24 Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1884 battles

View PostPogo68, on 11 April 2016 - 05:56 PM, said:

— At the moment there’s a strictly technological limitation to implement animations for variable wing sweep. We even have a historical prototype of an aircraft that could have that in the game — the Me P.1101

Funny.

The earliest game I saw with a swing wing animation was on a 386 in 1993 game called Tornado

It had the full swing wing animation along with an all moving tail and rudder animation.

It also had a flight physics model that was well beyond what is present in this game.

I believe he is saying that it is a limitation of the game engine that they are using, not that such a thing could not be done.  If the engine does not support it, they would have to rewrite portions of the game engine to make it happen.  A very serious undertaking.  I think the clan wars fans would agree that their time would be better spent on other things.

javier_martinez #25 Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• 27553 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

1. Are there any plans to introduce team-oriented game modes like Strongholds in WoT, or a global clan war map?

I hope they put into practice soon

Pogo68 #26 Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:57 AM

• 17590 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostIronyAngel, on 12 April 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

I believe he is saying that it is a limitation of the game engine that they are using, not that such a thing could not be done.  If the engine does not support it, they would have to rewrite portions of the game engine to make it happen.  A very serious undertaking.  I think the clan wars fans would agree that their time would be better spent on other things.

If you can animate flap, rudder and elevator movement you can animate swing wings.

The flight physics are not really affected, it's already covered by what is used to govern performance at any given speed and altitude.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

tanky_the_tank #27 Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13241 battles

View PostPogo68, on 13 April 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

If you can animate flap, rudder and elevator movement you can animate swing wings.

The flight physics are not really affected, it's already covered by what is used to govern performance at any given speed and altitude.

You're saying plane animates wings at right time and uses same old stats for performance like all other planes instead of trying to sim how wings work. Maybe easier but they still have to take non moving part of model and turn it into moving part. And wings have own flaps so they are moving parts with moving parts.

View Post Traurig_Yoda, on 14 March 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

another ridiculous remark by TtT.

tanky_the_tank #28 Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13241 battles

View PostC0BRA_invader, on 11 April 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

it would be great to have the ability to have more than two players in a division-just two is really on the short side and is currently discouraging players who would like more of a team battle.(hard to accomplish with a limitation of two players) Does anyone out there have any idea how to bring this about?

Let small team of players fight bigger team of toughest bots. Challenge and teamwork.

View Post Traurig_Yoda, on 14 March 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

another ridiculous remark by TtT.

PostTraumatic #29 Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 19599 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

GhostPrime

Thank you everyone! Here are the Questions That I am sending over for this round.

1. Do you have any plans for Clan Wars, ranked battles or other end game content?  did not happen
2. When will the fix come for the issue of "Rubberbanding"?  Did not happen
3. What are the plans to introduce new content to the game such as new maps/planes/game modes?  Did not happen
4. Will there be more optimizations to the game engine? (Reduce hangar load times, low end PC optimizations/Client Stability issues) Hardly. and is very buggy.
5. Are there any plans to update, or improve the joystick, and gamepad functionality?  Did not happen
6. Why are there so few human pilots in matches, when there are a lot of players online at any given time?  Did not happen
7. Will there be any effort to advertise World of Warplanes to bring more or new players in? Did not happen
8. Bots are currently heavily affecting the outcome of battles, due to lopsided skills on one team vs the other. Will there be any adjustments made to them so that they don't influence the outcome of the battle? Did not happen - Still a BIG problem
9. With new changes and features being implemented into the game, in terms of weapon and plane balancing, would you be able to provide an explanation in a developers blog for the change. Most of the promises made in his blog still have not happened

These are the things this community asked for.  

What we got was changes to the pilot skills that NOBODY asked for and causes problems as you did not refund our equipment.

1. Are there any plans to introduce team-oriented game modes like Strongholds in WoT, or a global clan war map?

— We plan to redesign the clan system. Once that is done, it will be time to look at end-game content. HAS NOT HAPPENED

2. Will there be a branch of USSR heavy fighters?

— Assembling a whole branch of them would be a big problem. What you might look forward to is maybe a mini-branch comprised of several machines or a set of Premium aircraft. There are a couple of interesting warplanes that we would personally like to see, especially as researchable machines.  Only premium "for sale" aircraft none added to Tech tree

3. Why is the British Tier X heavy fighter so overpowered in comparison to other heavies?

— Speaking of the Javelin, the aircraft is balanced against its class counterparts. But it is a very large target. You should always keep in mind that the HP count always depends on the aircraft signature — how easy it is to sustain damage. The machine has great armament, but it is wing-mounted so shooting effectively is harder than in the case of the HG3 or XF-90. Aside from that the Javelin’s parameters are representative of its real features — it really is the most technologically advanced and “modern” aircraft in the game.  Glad you have not nerfed this but the IL-40P was Nerfed badly

4. Why did you nerf the Me 1092 that much?

— It was very imbalanced. Now it’s as powerful as it should be.  

5. What are the principles for calculating credits and experience rewards?

— Follow the developers blog, we are preparing an article on economics.  Where is the article you mentioned??  

6. Will there be an option to take off from the airfield so that we don’t have “sleeping” pilots in the air when the battle loads?

— We don’t have airfields planned at the moment, but we are developing a system that will protect those players whose game clients haven’t loaded the battle by the time it starts.  Still no protection for those with load-in problem

7. Will we have other physics modes like simulation?

— No, we will not.  Ground effects were not ever asked for

8. Will there be a game mode with limited ammunition?

— No.

9. Global map: isn’t there a possibility that it might draw top clans from Tanks and increase the online player count?

— We are not aiming to cannibalize the player bases from other WG projects. Our goal is to make a good exciting game that people would play not because some other place is worse, but because it’s fun here.  Per Al King you guys quashed the FUN remake that was on the table and now intend a series of small patches

10. Japanese army warplanes?

— Yes. Soon.  Soon™ FTFY - Still not here

11. Is there a tangible project roadmap that states a moment “X” when the online player count would skyrocket?

— There are both a detailed development plans for this year as well as a more global plan for the future.  Still not seeing this happen. - asked for specifics of what they were doing and received no reply

12. Will we see other game modes besides Team Deathmatch? CTF, objective destruction maybe? Respawn?

— New game modes are being actively developed. Very actively.  Still not happening

13. What do you think of matchmaking based on a pilot’s flight capabilities?

— We are researching the possibility of skill-based matchmaking for a certain part of the player base. Again, this is at the research stage at the moment. Not happening ever

14. Why won’t Wargaming make their own Hryunomod?

— No need at the moment, but we pay close attention to the mod’s development and history for various reasons.

15. Why doesn’t Wargaming invest in web marketing?

— At the moment we prioritize other ways to develop and increase the project’s popularity.  Asked for specifics on what this means and received no reply.  They seem to have nothing planned in this dept

16. Better pilot skills?

— In development. Keep track of the Supertest Digest, there will be an announcement.  Players never asked for this and the response to this is the majority hate it and you did not at all consider the EQUIPMENT issue.  Refund equipment if you were going to do this.

17. Balancing flights of attack aircraft by flights of heavies is unacceptable.

— Agreed.  Now with the new update the problem is worse than EVER

18. Why did you remove the pushback effect of shooting?

— We didn’t. You can check for yourself on a light aircraft with powerful armament and high rate of fire, like the Me P.1101.

19. Will there be a better tutorial for newcomers?

— Yes, we plan to make a much better tutorial and intro, but at the moment other tasks have a much higher priority.  Still has not happened and this problem turns new players OFF which we do not need

20. Are there plans to decrease the number of engines for Me 262 and Yak-15? Researching 4 modules is a lot.

— No. Fewer engines means more experience to research each of them. The current module tree makes researching them to the top more straightforward.

21. Imbalanced flights: how are you planning to deal with them, because the forums are full of complaints?

— And we read all of them. The best solution for this would be skill-based matchmaking since “annihilator flights” are a direct indication of imbalance between highly skilled and less skilled players. At the moment we balance flights by adding other flights to another team, but obviously it has its flaws.  Give me a break that you read all of our forum suggestions HAHAHA making me laugh.  They problem is even worse now with the new patch

22. What’s up with the smartphone application? It hasn’t been supported properly recently.

— Popularity and demand are the main factors that affect the priority of development and support for most supplementary WG products. Apparently the Assistant app is not very popular. As far as we know, the team responsible for it is focused on other projects at the moment.

23. Have you thought about introducing the Me 262 with a 50 mm cannon, maybe with an increased rate of fire?

— Yes we did. Me 262 with a single 50 mm cannon is a very complicated and peculiar aircraft. Even if we do add it to the game — it will be a Premium or gift warplane.  not happening

24. Will there be a wipe?

— No, why?

25. Emblem customization?

— Depends on the extent of customization. One thing is if we add the possibility to change colors or something like that, another would be giving players the ability to upload their own images (which you can already do as clan emblems, by the way), and yet another would be the ability for every player to add custom images to any place on the aircraft. In this case we could find ourselves in a situation where hundreds of obscene images appear in the game, and someone would need to moderate that.  not going to happen

26. When will the French branch get new aircraft?

— If you mean a whole researchable branch — then definitely not this year. But there will be some surprises this year in that regard.  not going to happen

27. What’s up with the J8M? The stats collected by My_nick_is_busy (RU player who uses WG API to collect stats from the CIS server. — XBK) say that it has a win ratio over 60%, 3% more than the next best competitor.

— The aircraft is really good when piloted by experienced and highly skilled players, but quite difficult to master for newcomers. My_nick_is_busy collects statistics for experienced players. J8M’s high win ratio is caused by its high survivability, not by its ability to destroy planes easily or deal tons of damage.  Do not mess with a good thing, like WG usually does

28. Rocket effectiveness in meters?

— We plan to start showing it on the HUD. The general principle of how rockets work and where they explode is described on the Blog.  Did not happen

29. When will we see an optimized client and hangar?

— The programming team is constantly polishing the client. 1.9.4, 1.9.5, 1.9.6 production plans all have internal optimization as high priority tasks.  Lag is BAD in the hangar.  The contacts loop and reload over and over upon loading into the game

30. What causes some fighters, i.e. I-16 (late), to deal damage at distances higher than the maximum 600 meters, namely 600-750 meters?

— I-16 (late) has cannons that can deal damage at up to 750 meters. Optimum distance is stated on tooltips of the guns and is 80% of the maximum distance. You can find this parameter on the aircraft characteristics tab in the Hangar.

31. What’s happening to the old aircraft like La-150, Sh-Tandem, Me 609, P-51JP?

— They are reserved and await their time.  Still not happening... I would love to see these planes again.

32. When will you boost the Ta 183?

— When the appropriate moment comes.  wont happen

33. Don’t you think there should be more video content?

— We agree, but the Squirrels cannot work 24/7.  I like the squirrels also 

34. There are no collector’s editions or any WoWP goods. Any plans to change that?

— It’s hard to say. At the moment it’s hard to predict whether anything like that will be popular. If you like, you can create a topic on the forums, vote for designs etc. If this gains traction we’ll pass it to the team responsible for that sort of activity.  Create a forum topic?  That is the old standard "brush-off"

35. Paint jobs and bonuses on them — do you plan to add bonuses to old paint jobs?

— We plan to rework the camouflage mechanics and make them more valuable gameplay-wise. No details on that yet, sorry. The I-180-3 paint job is a first experiment, if the community reacts positively, we will further work on this idea.  hey only thing happened on a couple premium planes.  So I guess we cant say that they never did anything for us.

36. When will we see the Hellcat?

— Carrier-based “cats” are not coming any time soon.  and wont happen

37. Will we be able to get a bot as a wingman that will cover us?

— Not yet. But we are working on the overall improvement of bots.  Bots are WORSE than ever

38. Shouldn’t you balance Premium aircraft based on not only their stats but on stats for their researchable analogs too?

— We always consider the battle effectiveness of aircraft from the research trees when balancing premium ones. But some premiums are based on modifications that are very different from regular aircraft, and though they are similar in some traits they may be completely different in terms of battle effectiveness. For example the Bf 110B is a classic heavy fighter while the Bf 110 C-6, armed with an anti-tank cannon, is closer to an attack aircraft.

39. What about supporting the VOD makers and increasing the number of player-generated guides?

— We provide support to video content creators and streamers, but you need to contact us to obtain it.

40. Tanks have an update development cycle of 1 year, Warships – 6 months, what is it for WoWP?

— Actually there is no such thing as an update development cycle, there’s a feature development scope and timeline. Some features can be done in a month, some might take half a year or even more.  Yeah we would really love to know what your end-plan for the updates are

— At the moment there’s a strictly technological limitation to implement animations for variable wing sweep. We even have a historical prototype of an aircraft that could have that in the game — the Me P.1101.  Wont happen

42. Any plans to add plane landing for additional bonuses?

— That is unlikely.  wont happen ever

43. Will we see a Chinese branch?

— You will definitely see new Chinese aircraft but we don’t have a full national branch planned. Our players have a much higher demand for more popular machines.  Nothing that has been available unless you got extremely lucky on that slot machine from LAST YEAR

Overall our input is not being considered and things we have not asked for are being implemented.  

Can you give us a timeline on these points and go into each point in greater detail?  The community has been waiting patiently for any of our concerns to be addressed and it seems like our input is totally disregarded.  

Thank you,

PT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users