• [-BFS-] -BFS-
For research

Viper Pilot, Lords of the Sky and Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton

Top Gun Days by D Baranek

Thud Ridge by Jack Broughton

Yankee Station by John B Nichols

The Ace Factor by Mike Spick

Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L Shaw

(Shaw's book is a heavy book to read, but really helps a lot)

And for some fun

John le Carre novels.

A Song of Fire and Ice - suspended pending new book - hurry up George R.R. Martin

Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton

Modesty Blaise by Peter O'Donnell

The Saint by Leslie Charteris book series

James Bond series by Ian Fleming

Guilty pleasure

Story of O

Star Wars EU

Edited by Pogo68, 09 April 2016 - 10:18 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Bobby_Tables #23 Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• 16521 battles
  • [DIXX] DIXX

Good recommendations all.  I would like it if they would "sticky" this thread as I will probably want to refer back to it and over time it can be a valuable resource for new reading material.  

As a guilty pleasure, I read The Maze Runner in about 2 days.  I saw the movie on a plane, but in silent mode (never plugged in my headphones) and had to check out the book.  Surprisingly well written for a youth-dystopian Hunger Games type book.  I plan to read Scorch Trials which is the second book in that trilogy.  There's a player by that name here, but I have not seen him post in a while.  

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and believe it or not, I will likely work my way through most of them over the next few months.  Keep 'em coming.    

Bobby_Tables #24 Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• 16521 battles
  • [DIXX] DIXX

View PostPsicko23, on 06 April 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Have you read anything by chuck Palahniuk? He is the one that wrote fight club among others. He has some very bizarre stories. Not for everyone though.

Hey Psicko, thanks for the recommendation.  Currently reading Dammed and laughing my *ss off.  The Breakfast Club set in hell is my cup of tea.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 19 April 2016 - 02:12 AM.

Bobby_Tables #25 Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 16521 battles
  • [DIXX] DIXX

Just finished the book Bird Box by Josh Malerman.  A very tense end of the world, horror story, cannot put it down book.  Very much in line with The Road or similar.

Great summertime read.  

Psicko, once again, thanks for getting me into Chuck Palahniuk's books.  I have read a couple but don't want to burn through them all in a few months.  

Anyone else have any recommendations?  I am about to wrap up a book about corruption in Chicago (really, Chicago????, can't be) and am looking for some more to read.  

[Edit] Adding two great (IMO) summertime reads by Steven King: The Stand and The Tommyknockers.  Both can get a little hokey (particularly The Stand) but the whole collapse of civilization (or a town) and the fact that they are both set in summer make them great reads at the beach, on the deck, etc...  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 04 June 2016 - 03:00 AM.

SIN_BSOD #26 Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

• 1 battle
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Armada - Ernest Cline 

I've read and re-read both of these books a bunch of times and still gives me chills, I'm a big fan of gamergeek-saving-the-world storyline plus the 80s and pop-culture references were astounding. 

Some other notable books I've read and re-read: 

Wizardry series by Rick Cook 

(Wiz Biz, Wizardry Compiled, Wizardry Quested, Wizardry Consulted) 

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt - R.A. Salvatore

The Goblin Corps - Ari Marmell (this one's a fresh experience for me, if you usually read books wherein the narration is from the perspective of the protagonist, imagine if the perspective is from the bad guy's minions)

BuffaloTime #27 Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 23806 battles
Just started reading "Cold Vengeance " by Robert Preston and Lincoln Child.  Part of their Pendergast series. Excellent stories. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users