PM post with them

Undefeated 1st place, Clantastrophy tournament

Air Raid 6  3rd place,  Air Raid 7  2nd place, Air Raid 8 1st place

PostTraumatic #62 Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20059 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

guys and gals I am going to be altering the rules to match the spirit of this event.  This is a league of HIGH FLYERS.  I have seen some exploit action by talented clans that is outside the scope of this contest.  This contest is intended to create clean aerial battles at altitude.  If both teams agree the nature of that can be changed but the default rules need to stimulate straight forward battles in the air.  I stated the intent of the nature of this to be an aerial contest during the initial rules discussions but somehow that part was not translated into the final rules.  That is my fault for not being clear enough on that point.

I witnessed a team go straight for GT's and turn around and hide over their AA.  This is not what this contest is designed for.  If everyone did that kind of tactic then it would be a very lame battle for everyone.  So look for rule clarifications and alterations that will apply to all teams for week 4.  What is good for the one is not good for the many and it needs to be good for the many.

I could understand this being done by a team that is on the ropes but I do not want to encourage these kinds of cheap shot tactics in any battles.

The clanss that did it made it work.  Did they need to?  no.  They had plenty of skill to simply go out and fight head to head.  So changes will be made to have this be an aerial combat set of default rules.  

I have tried to remove GA from the contest to make this all about fighting as a team at altitude.  I will reinforce that with a revised and clarified rule-set.

Otherwise the battles have been great and the exploit was completely unnecessary.  So no need to contest it.  

I will just make the rules match the intended spirit of the event exactly.

IE go fight a clean straight forward fight and do not attempt cheap tricks to win.

Rules will be edited tonight for the beginning of Week 4 tomorrow.  All changes are to further match the overall intended spirit of this event.

I want to clarify also that this has happened with multiple clans not singling one out.

CHiPS1951 #63 Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:22 AM

Master Sergeant

• 22560 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostPostTraumatic, on 09 March 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

The rule-set was posted for editing and discussion for nearly a month prior to the release.

to answer questions:

- if teams agree to alter the tiers UPWARD on any given match then they may do so as long as both sides agree prior and all other requirements are met.

-GA are removed for now to focus this being a battle of aerial dominance.  I have a long history of flying GA as many know.  I have also seen plenty of competition matches go down and to be frank, it is a failed tactic to try in competition.  In competition it is a last ditch effort that never works out.  This is to test teams support dogfighting and team-work.  If you choose to hit gt's to try to win then you can load up on multi role fighters.

balancing your fighters, heavies and multi role in the fight is the point.  Think aerial dominance.  

I suggest giving it a try and see how it works.  If things need changing over time I will consider it.  This is a first run thing.

Your post right here shows that hitting GA's in battle is an acceptable tactic.  Like you said the teams CAN load up on multi role fighters if they choose to hit GT's.  Do you think it is really a good idea to change the rules midway though the contest?

"You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think!"

CHiPs1951

mullyman #64 Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 27773 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Since this is a league of "high flyers" does that mean clans are not allowed to bring low flying Russian or Japanese aircraft?
mullyman.png

PostTraumatic #65 Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:30 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20059 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Aerial dominance is the point as it is stated.  Hitting 1 GT and running to aa is not aerial dominance.  

There will be a simple rule change to reflect this to make it a viable tactic that will be even for both sides.  It will not remove hitting GTs from the equation nor remove the need for all types of planes.

It it was always the intent to change the rules if needed during this first attempt at this contest.  There is no points dispute and all points gained this week will stand.  The rule clarification will apply to all parties evenly and will be in effect for next week.  I am trying to find the cleanest and simplest way to fix this issue.  I will post the change either later tonight or tomorrow morning.  

Edited by PostTraumatic, 08 April 2016 - 03:32 AM.

PostTraumatic #66 Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:46 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20059 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Ok here it is.  This is a subtle and not an extreme change but this will make it more difficult to use the hit and run tactic.  

Addendum to league rules:

-  in a match with all default rules (nothing negotiated or altered) the first points scored in a match are to be scored by killing a plane by an enemy.  Hitting a GT to score the first battle points in a match will forfeit the match for the team that hit the ground target prior to a plane on either side being killed by the enemy.  Once a a plane is destroyed by either team then GT's are completely unlocked.  Only one plane on either team must perish to unlock the GT's

-If if any points are negotiated, other than tiers fought in, then this rule is not in effect.  This is only for battles using the default rule set.  Again, changing the tiers fought in does not relieve this rule from effect.

This his change is in hopes of stimulating a battle.  If a team has to fall back after initial engagements and hit GT's then that is their prerogative.  The initial points scored must be by blood.  Crashing 1 plane on purpose on your team will not unlock the GT's as the plane must die by enemy hands to unlock Ground targets.

This is an attempt to make a tactic that is good for one be good for all.  If all clans were to use the hit and run tactic for every match, this whole thing would be chaos.  The next summer league might be a completely different rule set and not be focused on aerial dominance but this one is and this change is an attempt to stick to that intended spirit of his event.  Trying to force supremacy right off the bat to draw the enemy into your a will have to wait until you have at least killed an enemy plane or had one of yours killed by the enemy.

so this does keep the option for loading up multi-roles and using low altitude if you want to for hitting GT's.  Just have to either kill a plane or sacrifice a plane to the enemy first. 

Or or just get up there and try to have a nice clean battle at altitude as is what most here should be practicing and are capable of.

Edited by PostTraumatic, 08 April 2016 - 04:42 AM.

EspressoForHammy #67 Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5307 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

This is pretty easy to counter for a team that wants to hit GTs and then run back to base. Just send in a light fighter and as soon as it dies smack all the GTs you want with ordnance before running and hiding.

I can help you learn to command your matches if you want PT. I'll even log into your Charbroiled and Chilled channel if you like. I heard it's almost deserted these days.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Also tagged with Clantastrophy, League, Tournament, PostTraumatic, Clan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users