Guide Review Senden Mitsubishi J4M Jammer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

This is an aircraft that's been around for awhile and I've never put many hours into her, truth be told.  There was always "something else" to fly when I was going into tier VII.  The reasons for that were rooted in the times; the Senden didn't get a chance to shine in my hands in the environment of small matches.  The Senden relies on the confusion and unplanned atmosphere of a wild furball.  Given a degree of detachment from the fight the pilot is able to choose situations where they are at an advantage; the small battles prior to 1.9 led to the Senden being focused or avoided to near irrelevance.  That is no longer the case and I've had more fun flying the Senden lately than I can recall having in her since shortly after her arrival in game.

The Senden is a multirole aircraft, which means she can mount bombs.  For the same reasons you normally wouldn't carry bombs on a Zero the Senden should also fly smooth.  A pair of 250kg bombs and the negative influence they have on the Senden's speed, climbing and turnrate can almost never make up for that Senden not influencing the airfight for 2-3 minutes at the beginning of the match.  Actually using the bombs on ground targets also tends to leave the Senden in a poor energy condition at a time when the air battle is most crucial.  The Senden's primary prey is high altitude heavy fighters.  The Senden can operate close to the altitude of enemy heavy fighters and either engage them before they attack or intercept them as they recover from a boom and zoom pass.

If the Senden wins air supremacy it is then free to emulate a heavy fighter and use the same tactics against the faster turning light fighters remaining.  If mostly undamaged the Senden's guns are powerful enough for it to take on attack aircraft still flying at the end of a match.  Additionally the Senden also may mount Concealing Livery equipment which will reduce incoming AA and tailgunner damage by 30%; not a bad choice for one of the three slots allowed.

And for all this advice I have to give on the plane, I wasn't the one to really showcase her abilities in a pinch; it was Wesrin, who I will easily and gladly admit is a better pilot than I.  We decided to dust our Senden off one day and try them in a larger match; despite my poor showing here this was the battle where the Senden felt like something special again for me and I've taken her out many times since to get a better feel for what she can do now.  Wesrin was good enough to provide the replay upon my request and I had a great deal of fun making the video.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

losttwo #2 Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Every plane is only as weak as the pilot.

:great:

Wesrin #3 Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6284 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

My notes from this: the J4M has really changed with the last few patches, getting a few stealth buffs in the departments of climb rate and performance outside of it's optimal bands. It surprised both myself and Magus when we took it out just how "un-Japanese" this Japanese multi-role felt. My only real complaint is the firepower: its inaccurate to the point of being a bit frustrating (and that combined with my bad aiming with aircraft I don't fly often) made landing the kind of hits I was expecting a chore. A gun sight is a must, as well as getting relatively close (between 400-300m is ideal before firing).

Be gentle on the trigger -- frequent, quick bursts yields the best results in both damage as well as gun cool-down. If you have the Jammer sitting around in your hangar and haven't flown it in a while, give it a try! Its a really solid interceptor.

Edited by Wesrin, 15 February 2016 - 12:25 PM.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

CrayoIaCrayon #4 Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15602 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Excellent video as always magus.  Great music choices as well.  TNT really fits ole Wesrin lol.

Undefeated 1st place, Clantastrophy tournament

Air Raid 6  3rd place,  Air Raid 7  2nd place, Air Raid 8 1st place

Nvfx #5 Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21572 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Awesome video! Super display of multiple roles in a single game for different situations.

MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

Major

• 33800 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

I would say, put bombs on it, only after you have learned it.  I used bombs a lot.  It can take out a quick 32 GT points worth of ships if you are on the right map.  But you have to know what you are doing, approach, everything.  For the new players... don't put bombs on it.

edit: yup, I dont fly this plane enough, just took it out to complete a daily mission... ACE.  No use for bombs on the DAM map... dumped them straight off.

Edited by THEMARCO1979, 15 February 2016 - 07:16 PM.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Tonzzo #7 Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

Captain

• 19569 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I love the paying homage to the Hug at the end...  Couldn't have scripted it better!  :medal:

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #8 Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20570 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

wow... very fun battle... I love 'em when everything comes together like that...

PLUS... N8 uses that signature move (that he learned from me) ... the killing/suicide full frontal faceoff {KS triple F} AKA; Death Ram AKA; MAD- Mutual assured destruction

Great video

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Traurig_Yoda #9 Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3035 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Well done, very nice explanation and history of the plane.

MelBrooks #10 Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 30187 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Great video Magus! Nice carry Wes, you have done that for me too in pub battles.....I think a video from ABC on the " Art of the Ram Attack" is in order. If ABC decides to ram you, your chances of survival are minimal at best.:izmena:

tyy #11 Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 26693 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
I have the meteor not this one....the meteor is good but the Senden seems better by every measure...can anyone confirm this?

Gang_Starr #12 Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

Captain

• 12292 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
I loved this thing in the 3vs3 battles when everyone just flew IL-40s every match. I used to bomb kill those GAs with the J4M all the time lol. I hate what the 1.9 gun change did to this thing though, used to be my favorite plane in the game back in the day.

Tenks

MagusGerhardt #13 Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGang_Starr, on 27 September 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

I loved this thing in the 3vs3 battles when everyone just flew IL-40s every match. I used to bomb kill those GAs with the J4M all the time lol. I hate what the 1.9 gun change did to this thing though, used to be my favorite plane in the game back in the day.

The J4M can still be decent, nowadays.  Just have to watch out for bot sniper pilots flying anything with a heavy gun on it while trying to get within 400 meters of your target.  I agree she's been better in the past, but is still fun to me since her attack abilities are so different from the other Japanese plane available at tier.

The Army line will change that, at least to begin with.  The Ki-61 looks to be a little monster, looking forward to getting my hands on her.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users