What do you think is the best and worst of each line?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

AmeleeofAirparts_ #1 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21192 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I'm curious as to which planes in the communities experience are the best in each line, the worst in each line, and why.  Talk about your experience.  Doesn't matter if your highest tier is five, comment if you want to or feel like it.

American

British

Japanese

German

Russian

What I would do to balance underpowered/overpowered planes:

Edit:  Added yak-3 to the balancing list.

Edited by _BotPrime_, 20 February 2016 - 06:35 PM.

Please apply dirt, rocks and trees to your aircraft sparingly.

I have this theory that loudly ticking clocks can be wound with massive blunt objects.  By striking the clock with great force the energy would transfer into the gears, not unlike winding it.   I plan on testing this someday.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11525 battles

Blenheim still has cannons...I think you meant machine gun pod...having 9 machine guns on a heavy fighter chassis make one feel like buzzsaw...

The 1056 is handy to have for its dual ordnance capacity for high tier daily needs...and Ta 152 totally doesn't work for me because of my condition (high ping and FPS drop) will not let me use big guns to any decent effect.

What would you say about heavy Yak (7 and 9)?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ViolentAngel #3 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 16644 battles

The A6M2 definitely could use a buff to airspeed. I have really struggled with this plane recently. It was great about a year ago when so many players would try to turn with you... but that really doesn't happen anymore. Countering the BnZ planes effectively is fairly difficult due to the too-low airspeed - they are out of range so quickly, it's really tough to do any appreciable damage each pass.

The J7W1 was one of the easiest/fastest grinds for me since the introduction of bots. Real human players that want to kill you, can do so in pretty short order, so perhaps you are right that a buff to controllability is warranted.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

ViolentAngel #4 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 16644 battles
The I-210 has got to be my least favorite plane. I have the same thoughts about the damage output - it has one of the lowest firepower for it's tier (even when fully upgraded) so it takes forever to bring anything down. Never did figure out the best way to play it.  It seems like it would play similarly to a 109F (if not better), but perhaps due to its lower altitude band, it just doesn't ever get the chance??

-- William Blake

AmeleeofAirparts_ #5 Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21192 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 31 January 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Blenheim still has cannons...I think you meant machine gun pod...having 9 machine guns on a heavy fighter chassis make one feel like buzzsaw...

The 1056 is handy to have for its dual ordnance capacity for high tier daily needs...and Ta 152 totally doesn't work for me because of my condition (high ping and FPS drop) will not let me use big guns to any decent effect.

What would you say about heavy Yak (7 and 9)?

Yeah I forgot what it was they took from the Blenheim, I just remember it was something good. lol

As for the MR Yaks, I havn't flown that line much since the recent cannon buff.  I remember flying planes in that line felt like flying a cardboard box with a big heavy gun strapped to the front of it.  It has very poor energy characteristics, and although it has a good pitch turning rate, doing so for too long would cause it to stall easily.  I've seen some excellent players use them to great effect (mostly wolfblitz), but that still doesn't say much about balance since even underpowered planes can do well in skilled hands.  I personally felt they were underpowered, but whether the cannon buff gave them enough I wouldn't know.  They do seem to be able to one-shot many things now which is definitely cool and looks fun, though landing the shots would be a skill.  If by some reasonable measure they are still underpowered, I would want to balance them by making them a bit faster and have a little more HP (to deal with AA fire and tailgunners) down low, which would work for their playstyle.

I have this theory that loudly ticking clocks can be wound with massive blunt objects.  By striking the clock with great force the energy would transfer into the gears, not unlike winding it.   I plan on testing this someday.

MelBrooks #6 Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 29237 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
Good post Eri.....ah, I mean BOT Prime. Almost any plane can be used to great effect as long as you use its strengths properly. Watching Wolfblitz take out dual HF flights with a Yak-19 or J7W2 is a prime example of this. For me the zero line just is an immense underdog as Violent says. It's low airspeed just makes it a sitting duck at times. As for best, the F2H is tough by any means. It possesses the airspeed, guns, and solid maneuverability to match anything in tier 9 if used correctly.   

ViolentAngel #7 Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 16644 battles
Just noticed... no love for the La-5 ?!?!  I love that little bugger :playing:

-- William Blake

MelBrooks #8 Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

• 29237 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
Oh yeah, and La-7 too. They are solid planes! Just have to watch the airspeed on them which I occasionally forget to do and find myself in a pickle lol.

Ysterpyp #9 Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11423 battles
  • [TIS] TIS

The I-210 was horrible for me in 1.8 , i think it did receive a buff comparing it now not sure..

Also The mig-9's guns feels more awkward than the mig-15's imo

Edited by Ysterpyp, 01 February 2016 - 06:31 AM.

Lou #10 Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7268 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
No love for the P-38? Op at tier 5 :izmena:

TeamTerrible #11 Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 43755 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
If it doesn't have rockets its junk!!!!

Psicko23 #12 Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I love the la5, la7, and la9, but I just can't do as well in the la160. It just doesn't seem to have similar characteristics as the previous la's. If anyone who is good in the la160 wants to show me the way, please do. I used to love how versatile the lagg3 was until the multirole nerf patch.  

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #13 Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

• 5916 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostViolentAngel, on 31 January 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

The A6M2 definitely could use a buff to airspeed. I have really struggled with this plane recently. It was great about a year ago when so many players would try to turn with you... but that really doesn't happen anymore. Countering the BnZ planes effectively is fairly difficult due to the too-low airspeed - they are out of range so quickly, it's really tough to do any appreciable damage each pass.

The J7W1 was one of the easiest/fastest grinds for me since the introduction of bots. Real human players that want to kill you, can do so in pretty short order, so perhaps you are right that a buff to controllability is warranted.

It's funny. The IJN line is almost universally said to be the worst, but I do my best in them. Heck the J7W1 is one of three planes with 7 kills in one game in it, and has at least double the K/D of my 262. I do wellish with both 30MM and 20MM. Meanwhile, the 262 I can't get to work and my 209 I do OK but not great. J7's only problem is altitude. 

View PostViolentAngel, on 31 January 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

The I-210 has got to be my least favorite plane. I have the same thoughts about the damage output - it has one of the lowest firepower for it's tier (even when fully upgraded) so it takes forever to bring anything down. Never did figure out the best way to play it.  It seems like it would play similarly to a 109F (if not better), but perhaps due to its lower altitude band, it just doesn't ever get the chance??

Aye, still on I-210. It seems to have been stealth buffed, but it is still very underwhelming. I play it as a HF killer. The dual 20's do well.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

ViolentAngel #14 Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 16644 battles

View PostFosterBrooks, on 31 January 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Oh yeah, and La-7 too. They are solid planes! Just have to watch the airspeed on them which I occasionally forget to do and find myself in a pickle lol.

Been flying the La-7 tonight.

Must de-stockify this plane ASAP! In the stock configuration it is so very frustrating - you think you should do well in it, but match after match is disappointment.

Upgraded to the ASh-83 engine and mounted the 3x 20mm's... WOW. What a difference.

Now I'm itching to unlock the airframe and 23's  :playing:

-- William Blake

AmeleeofAirparts_ #15 Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21192 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTeamTerrible, on 01 February 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

If it doesn't have rockets its junk!!!!

Any plane can have rockets if you send them to it properly.

View PostLou, on 01 February 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

No love for the P-38? Op at tier 5 :izmena:

Not sure I would say it's OP, but the P-38's are definitely awesome at t5 and T6.  They have a fair set of weaknesses though that can be taken advantage of.

View PostViolentAngel, on 31 January 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Just noticed... no love for the La-5 ?!?!  I love that little bugger :playing:

It's a great line, and mostly very balanced.  The La-5 and La-7 are very good.  The Lavochkin's really culminate at the La-9, which is a simply ferocious plane at tier 8 with a really fun semi-jet engine at the highest engine upgrade.  If you like the previous two, you'll really like that one.

View PostPsicko23, on 08 February 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

I love the la5, la7, and la9, but I just can't do as well in the la160. It just doesn't seem to have similar characteristics as the previous la's. If anyone who is good in the la160 wants to show me the way, please do. I used to love how versatile the lagg3 was until the multirole nerf patch.  

I have struggled with La-160 myself, but some members of my clan swear by it (mostly Ens) and have seen others do very well in it, so I assumed it was just me.   I get better results with it when I treat the 30's like MG's and get really close before opening up.  It's broad profile catches a lot of fire, so that is something to watch out for too.

Ysterpyp #16 Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11423 battles
  • [TIS] TIS

View PostPsicko23, on 08 February 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Conserve your boost , and always have bots around you. Kill the unaware. Get in the action quick and kill fast or you will have problems latter. Fight just at the bots altitude

Edited by Ysterpyp, 23 February 2016 - 07:51 AM.

Lt_Haruhi_Suzumiya #17 Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5970 battles

Well, I am noob that I only played 4.2k, and have I-260 as Single Tier 8(From 2nd War Cache),  (Hryunomod says my Rank is 'Ordinary Pilot' and my Rate is '2.1')

but climbed almost all of tech tree to Tier 7 (Attackers & Soviets, and Thunderbolts are not included, They are just on Tier 5~6)

(if I use 'Seal Clubbing or Newbie hunt' on from now on, No meant to aggressive, but just felt that feel when I was on that plane.)

For Noob As Me, 
1.American Lights (Reached P-51D)

• Best: P-51D Mustang - Beast DPS with good engine, Finaly, I can REVENGE TO Jerry 109s
  • Worst: P-36 Hawk - In fact it is good plane, but i thought that on tier 4, TnB has good day, and Bf 109B Aces who are uh.. Seal clubbing? are too good for Tiny Little P-36.   after she lost her 23mm Madsen.
  • (Before Bf109 Gunpack removal - P-51A Mustang, Overwhelmed on Both Firepower and Maneuverability,  ah, also on speed.)

2. American Corsairs  (Reached F4U-4)

• Best: F4U-1, F4U-4 Corsairs - First time I got F4U-1, got frustrated, and when I got 20mm, I loved it as Chocolate shake, that is why I trusted F4U-4 'Stock', because I know that I can use 20mm on F4U-4 too. and i beard that trial,  
  • Worst: F2A Buffalo - She was just so-so plane when A6M1 and 'Tier 5 109E' Seal clubbing her.(When NO BOTS and A6M1 Ruled the Tier 4 Matches)
  • ah, I also hated F2A's HS.404 20mm. was too hard to control it when i was on that.

3. American Thunderbolts (Reached XP-44)

• Best : P-26 Peashooter - I rly don't know why, but In My Memories, this thing is one of my BEST Plane ever i've played (maybe cause of seal clubbing/Newbie hunt)
  • Worst: XP-44 Rocket - I thought even F2A can overwhelm this plane, has nothing good. (if i exclude the large bomb)

4. American Heavies (Reached F7F)

• Best : P-38F, P-38J - Both of lightning felt me as god of death, Fast Speed, with good 37mm, Perfect plane for Bot/Newbie hunt. even ordinary noob as me felt good on them.
  • Worst: F7F - RLY, THIS THING IS NOT BAD. in fact, this is GOOD plane.  but just.. 109Z was just too Overpowered. need Engine upgrade for escape from 'worst' one. 

5. Brit Light (Reached Spitfire Mk.V Stock)

• Best : Spitfire Mk.I   Bulldog
  • Worst: Type 133

6. Brit Heavy (Reached Bloody-Hornet)

• Best: Beaufighter, (Blenheim When they had Weak Old Bomber hull, I loved that 'shape')
  • Worst: Mosquito, Hornet (Me 410 and Bf 109Z overwhelmed Em all, Mosquito was not TOO BAD as Japanese one, but I hate Being overwhelmed, and Hornet was worst plane ever I've tried, She team up with A7M on my hanger, make losses cause of lack of ability to win EVEN I TRIED MY BEST, and makes my mind weak, Felt lack of ability, blame that, and makes me depressed and made some needs for consult with doctor. now I am fine but still I hate her, Just fly with her cause of P.228/ the Big-Mother-Meteor one. that plane almost make me Lunatic, ha-ha.)

Hornet, Mosquito, First impression last long time, and hers impression was BAD. they makes me sick.

7. Soviet Yak Line 

- I only tried Three plane in this tree,  Yak-1, Yak-7, and I-17. so I rly can't choose one of them best or worst. all of that three are just so so.

8. Soviet Lavochkin Tree (on La-5)

• Best: La-5,  good 20mm B-3 x3 with maneuverability & engine. It is not one of 'Bad TnB' as A6M5.  It provided me Good TnB Exp, but also provided Limited BnZ Exp.
  • Worst: LaGG-3 - First time I met her, I sighed heavily, A6M2 Ruled Low TnB on that time, and I-16(late.) was serious threat.  I was not good enough for Fly good with her.

9. Soviet MiGs (As Joke, on I-260/Honestly, on I-210)

• Best : nothing, I-210 was good before, bad now, +-0, so-so.
  • Worst: MiG-3 - First time when i was on MiG-3, it was Worse than P-40 at all point. first impression was too bad.

10. Soviet Attackers  (Got IL-2t long time ago, still failed to achieve IL-8/10)

• Best : IL-2s. (T5,6) - Good Firepower of BEAST outboard explosives. good for credit grinding and some rocketeer.
  • Worst : BSh-2/LBSh - 7.62mm ShKAS x2 stock is tooo weak for Tier 4, even TSh-3 has 10.

11. German Attackers (Got Ju-87, not the Hs 129 yet)

• Best : Fw 57 - Easy Peasy 'Thunder' with SC 100 bomb none of em,
  • Worst: Ju -87 - NO OUTBOARD EXPLOSIVES, SLOW AS SAME AS IL-2.  even their 37mm are good, IL-2 also has good 37mm. Overwhelmed by IL-2

12. German Light 109s

• Best : Bf 109F Fritz - Good maneuverability with punching 20mm it was good plane since WG rebalanced gun/cannons
  • Worst (Joke) : Bf 109E Emil - When I was even noobier than now, such a untrained greenhorn, used it as Ground-Pounder, GOT OWNED BY 20mm Mounted P-51A :D
  • Worst (Seriously) : Ar 80 - nose mounted 20mm are way too hard for hit when i can't climb enough cause of 'Lacks of Horsepower'

13. German Fw190s (Playing Fw190D 'ALMOST STOCK'

• Best: Fw 190 A-5 : Better firepower than HEAVY Mosquito (in fact mosquito has better acc. it makes mosquito's  'REAL' Firepower are better than 190A-5) with tiny little maneuverability. single-engined heavy.
  • Worst: He-112, Fw 190V(A-1) , Fw 190D - three of em are good 'if they are fully upgraded'  but their stock are too cruel and want FREE XP SO BADLY

14. German Heavies (now flying on 109Z

• Best: everything Except the AO 192 - you guys know it right? good firepower with rear gun& speed. have everything what heavies need. perfect killing machines.
  • Worst: AGO AO 192 - not bad on it's tier, but on tier 2 match, usually, AO 192 got outnumbered and outmaneuvered, and got shot down.  if she had better engine.. it was going to be OP, feel bad bout that.

15. Japanese Fighters (Got A7M-the worthless)

• Best :   None of em, they are all [Comment Moderated] up. A6M1 -Good old days for TnB fighters.  BnZ can't climb high cause they didn't get good engine on that tier, (Except the 110B/C-6) so TnB can Outmaneuver em before they perform bnz on you. Golden Age For Japanese planes and I-16s.
  • Worst:   A6M5 and "Howdy, it's me! A7M! A7M THE WORTHLESS!"  - Japaneses Golden age are passed, Mighty BnZ are staying High Alt,  had only one choice," GOT Boomed and Zoomed AND RETURN TO HANGAR + wasting credits on the air.  after the 1.9.3 HP Buff, and Machine-cannon buff on A7M, A7M got better than before, but still she is hopeless i guess. Her [CATALOG Spec] are best Japanese plane ever I've ever flied, but Enemy are way tooooo strong. for example, Mighty P-51D or Gigantic Bf 109G.  and ONE BNZ DEATH HEAVY& HEAVY JETS, and still A6M5 are BAD on spec, good on Shape.

16. Choose the best and worst one on all tech tree include Prems.

• Best : Meteor Mk.1 - I lost my CBT Rewards cause eventually i lost my account, so i choosed this. (if I have em, i choose the I-15bis DM-Whatever one. X-WING UFO thing)  in fact, Meteor usually got shot-down by mighty 109Z or another Krauts Planes. but it bring strange experience with 'Good firepower as hornet' with 'Great jet sounds'. I really, really love that plane, if i got depressed by Hornet or A7M (on Controlable level which i don't need medicine), I fly with Meteor,  not the best on 'spec', but BEST ONE for 'FUN', 

• Worst: A7M Reppu - i told it on upper lines of this reply, this worthless thing makes me felt on depression,self-hatred,self-accusation.   because, every movement I move, Every shot i fired, every maneuver i evaded, they were NOTHING BUT FUTILE RESISTANT.  Comrades in skies are dying, Ground bases are burning, . but there is nothing I can do with A7M, Tried every single of way for help teammate, that was futile. I don't have enough skill for that, and A7M didn't have Performance for that. 

Summary

• I Like Meteor Mk.1 at most,
  • I hate A7M Reppu at most , it makes me.. sick

postscript: sorry for whinnin like little child, but for me.. A7M was WORST EXPERIENCE in my WHOLE LIFE..

Seriously, that plane was even worse than my beloved grandfather's passing.. completely not my type of plane.

post-postscript: am i too late for this topic?

I guess, This pilot is worst teammate when you are on match, *Facepalm

thehelmsman #18 Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Airman Basic

• 886 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Only as far as tier 5-6 in most lines. I have to agree that IJN's best days are behind it, though I haven't played the IJA Ki line yet. Sold my A6M2 today. It sat in the hangar for over a year without being flown and I really don't have much interest in going higher, especially given what I read about the rest of the line.  A6M1 can still do okay because its agility doesn't come at the cost of too much speed; it's fast enough to keep up with most other fighters in its tier and get in some hits before they zoom out of range, but A6M2 is not. Even with the top engine it's slow, and not many people are dumb enough to try to turn-fight with Zeroes these days.

LaGG-3 is distinctly unpleasant, as well. It's reasonably fast and relatively maneuverable, but to my perception it bleeds energy like mad in turns and it doesn't particularly like going vertical either. The worst part by far, though, is the weak firepower. You simply can't quickly kill things unless they're low health. If you have to burn somebody down, you have to stick to them for a long time, which usually makes them turn, which makes you lose all your speed. It seems to me like LaGG-3 wants to be an FW 190 and slash pass but it just doesn't have the armament to do it. Definitely won't be keeping this one, easily the least enjoyable of all the tier 5 russian fighters.

--Helms

Edited by thehelmsman, 26 March 2017 - 01:08 PM.

The Airfield

Psicko23 #19 Posted Yesterday, 08:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The Lagg3 was much better pre 1.6 nerf. you had the option of flying it light with all mg's, flying if heavy with a 37mm, or in the middle. It also had rocket capabilities back then. Now it just sucks. I enjoy the premium lagg, it has a 37mm and makes things go boom.

pyantoryng #20 Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11525 battles

View PostPsicko23, on 27 March 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

The Lagg3 was much better pre 1.6 nerf. you had the option of flying it light with all mg's, flying if heavy with a 37mm, or in the middle. It also had rocket capabilities back then. Now it just sucks. I enjoy the premium lagg, it has a 37mm and makes things go boom.

The LaGG-3 now resembles a stubby Yak-1 with 23mm cannon option...

You could do all sorts of stuff with even further back...you can even run it with six rockets IIRC. My preferred config back then was 23mm and heavy MG pair...gives ample firepower with some maneuverability.

Now I never look back...the premium LaGG is pretty good...when that big gun hit...

Edited by pyantoryng, Yesterday, 05:14 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users