Jump to content


Lead Indicators for long distance


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Nvfx #1 Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 315
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    08-06-2012

Hey guys, does anyone know how to modify the distance when the lead indicator to start to show at around 12000ft distance? I'm asking because it's hard to lead the tims if you don't see how fast they are flying relative to the distance you are shooting from. 

 

My lead indicator usually starts showing around the range of 8000 to 9000 ft, which really only allows like a few seconds of reaction time to aim and prep a shot, especially for a super long range rocket like Tiny Tims

 

Thanks in advance


Edited by Envioux, 18 December 2015 - 09:16 AM.


scipionmk #2 Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 587
  • [-WS-] -WS-
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013
Reported. Hacker.

DrSinister #3 Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

    High-Tech Medic

  • -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • 4,011
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Have to mod it to do it and I know that Hryunomod has it setup so that you can change the lead indicator distance via the hryunomod.cfg file:

 

    <LeadIndicator>
        <enable>    yes    </enable>
        <startColor>    FF0000    </startColor>
        <endColor>    00FFFF    </endColor>
        <maxDistance>    10000    </maxDistance>
        <circleVisibilityDistance>    visibility    </circleVisibilityDistance>
        <fireDistance>    visibility    </fireDistance>
    </LeadIndicator>


New Mod Pak for 2.0 is Coming with new Website.


losttwo #4 Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 12,612
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

View PostDrSinister, on 18 December 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Have to mod it to do it and I know that Hryunomod has it setup so that you can change the lead indicator distance via the hryunomod.cfg file:

 

    <LeadIndicator>
        <enable>    yes    </enable>
        <startColor>    FF0000    </startColor>
        <endColor>    00FFFF    </endColor>
        <maxDistance>    10000    </maxDistance>
        <circleVisibilityDistance>    visibility    </circleVisibilityDistance>
        <fireDistance>    visibility    </fireDistance>
    </LeadIndicator>

 

Awesome no wonder you all so much better than me...I am so computer illiterate I have to use Kentucky windage when I play.

Heck I am so illiterate I tried downloading the mod and got no results.


Edited by losttwo, 18 December 2015 - 01:21 PM.


Nvfx #5 Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 315
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    08-06-2012

View PostDrSinister, on 18 December 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Have to mod it to do it and I know that Hryunomod has it setup so that you can change the lead indicator distance via the hryunomod.cfg file:

 

    <LeadIndicator>
        <enable>    yes    </enable>
        <startColor>    FF0000    </startColor>
        <endColor>    00FFFF    </endColor>
        <maxDistance>    10000    </maxDistance>
        <circleVisibilityDistance>    visibility    </circleVisibilityDistance>
        <fireDistance>    visibility    </fireDistance>
    </LeadIndicator>

That's exactly it! Thank you!


Edited by Envioux, 18 December 2015 - 03:16 PM.


Pogo68 #6 Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 302 battles
  • 1,207
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

Funny, I turned off my lead indicator and my hit rate went up by 5-8%

Maybe it's because I'm not chasing the little ball anymore and just aiming the way I used to in IL-2 and the old Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte combat flight sims.

 

But the smaller than it should be gun reticule is throwing my aim off.

If I recall, the circle should be about the same as the wingspan of an Bf-109/Spitfire at 100m.

So at 100m with a Spit or 109 under the center dot, the left and right wingtips should touch the circle.

RAF Gunsight Range Guide

The reason for this was to allow pilots to use the circle as a means to judge the distance and allow them to aim properly.

 


Edited by Pogo68, 19 December 2015 - 09:42 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Nvfx #7 Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 315
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    08-06-2012

View PostPogo68, on 19 December 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

Funny, I turned off my lead indicator and my hit rate went up by 5-8%

Maybe it's because I'm not chasing the little ball anymore and just aiming the way I used to in IL-2 and the old Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte combat flight sims.

 

But the smaller than it should be gun reticule is throwing my aim off.

If I recall, the circle should be about the same as the wingspan of an Bf-109/Spitfire at 100m.

So at 100m with a Spit or 109 under the center dot, the left and right wingtips should touch the circle.

RAF Gunsight Range Guide

The reason for this was to allow pilots to use the circle as a means to judge the distance and allow them to aim properly.

 

 

I think you are misusing the lead indicator, it only serves as reference to the relative linear vector the enemy is flying at. As a pilot you need to discern which change of direction the enemy is rolling/pitching into. 

Pogo68 #8 Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 302 battles
  • 1,207
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

View PostEnvioux, on 19 December 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

 

I think you are misusing the lead indicator, it only serves as reference to the relative linear vector the enemy is flying at. As a pilot you need to discern which change of direction the enemy is rolling/pitching into. 

 

That's why I turned it off.

It's moves/jitters around too much, so much so that I'm getting a more accurate read from just looking at the position of the tail, up the spine of the plane to the nose and drawing my own imaginary line from there and parking my pipper in front of it.

 

This is where the circle size is important.

The speed of the target and the speed that it is crossing your hud determines how much lead you need to give, and the circle gives you a tool with which to measure that distance with some accuracy.

 

 


Edited by Pogo68, 25 December 2015 - 08:47 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users