Joystick'n

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

BobozeeBear #21 Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22321 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Just helped a new player get his stick configured last night,  I guess I should put it out there to any stick users, if you are interested in my settings to try, I'm happy to share.

I am curious never having used K&M what are your hit percentages? For non GA aircraft i'm ballparking 18%to 33% hit ratio, sometimes a little higher or lower but usually in that range. How much better are the mouse users, is there a large discrepancy? 

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

DrSinister #22 Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

High-Tech Medic

• Community Ace
  • 4658 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostZapperguy, on 08 December 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

Not at all. I am just ham-handed on the thing. It always breaks during an aggressive turnfight when I'm mashing the throttle from full to zero and back. I just push too hard on the cheap plastic and "Snap!" It's because I'm pushing too hard once I reach the max movement - totally my fault, but they could offer a high-end edition of this decade old stick with mostly metal parts - I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Ahh, I see.

Psicko23 #23 Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Bobozeebear,

When I fly with mouse and keyboard my hit% is about the same as yours in fighters and heavies. When I use my joystick, it's around 6-15% give or take. I just picked up a stick a bit ago and still learning though. 

Zapperguy #24 Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• Community Ace
  • 30846 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostPsicko23, on 09 December 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Bobozeebear,

When I fly with mouse and keyboard my hit% is about the same as yours in fighters and heavies. When I use my joystick, it's around 6-15% give or take. I just picked up a stick a bit ago and still learning though. 

Psicko,

If you're willing to really make a bold change, try using a first person camera mod with the joystick. While you don't get the usual, unrealistic 3rd person view all around your plane, you do get a feeling of immersion that just can't be had without 1st. You "feel" like you're in the pilot's seat. Getting used to the limited field of view (this is NOT sniper view I'm talking about) will be the most challenging, but I bet your accuracy with the stick improves by your second battle.

Try either mine (1st person only - joystick only) or doc's if you want 3rd person too. Both are available in DrSinister's Mod List Installer

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Pogo68 #25 Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 17114 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

I come to this game from other flightsims.

So I'm accustomed to using joysticks.

Currently I'm using a CH Fighterstick with a Saitek X52 throttle.

I have quick look views (left, right, back, up and down) bound to the hat switches on the joystick.

Gun's are on the trigger, and the thumb hat switch (gun1, gun2, rockets) bombs on the red button.

Targeting commands on the 3rd hat switch.

On the throttle hat I have Flaps, and 3 radio messages.

View zoom/un-zoom is via slider.

It works for me because this is similar to the setup I've been using for years with Falcon, IL-2 and other flight sims.

In terms of flight controls, the ability to regulate the throttle and turn rates helps a lot.

The joystick allows me to be able to get a stabilized gun tracking solution regardless of the bandit's turn rate or speed.

It's all about the deg/sec, I can go from 3 deg / sec to max and anywhere in between and hold it at will.

So I can sweep the death dot over the target, move it ahead of it along it's flight path, then hold the dot in place relative to the target.

If it's too far ahead, I can relax the turn slightly and adjust the lead and hold it again.

Edited by Pogo68, 10 December 2015 - 09:57 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

FreeFOXMIKE #26 Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• Community Ace
  • 17064 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostBobby_Tables, on 05 December 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

I also use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  I used a mouse for several thousand battles then switched to a joystick.  It was a learning experience for sure.  The way the camera works is different and the first few times I came out of a long battle dizzy.  I tried mouse flying recently and did not enjoy it as much.  The joystick was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.  

Personally, I think my aiming got better and my dodging certainly improved with the joystick.  The flip side is the camera views with the "top hat" leave a lot to be desired.  I have not yet perfected using my mouse with the joystick to use the free camera mode.  It's just too distracting to me.  So it's more difficult to check your 6 IMO.  

and the plus of using the "hat button" to assign views id a great  addition , while deployed overseas I used a game pad one year at first not liking it but lacking space to pack a joystick had to use it ,it was  not bad after I got used to it. 

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 14 December 2015 - 06:56 AM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

frankndeath #27 Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4205 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I use a JS used one for years, cant fly with MK. Aiming is not that hard. Resist making fast movements while aiming. Gentle input plane needs time to respond ,sharp movements will cause a bouncing effect. You will find aiming in turns to be easier with JS and exceptional ac control. Flaps on hat buttons is good as well.

I have mine opposite trigger so its a pinch movement to drop flaps and fire. :playing: Ctr hat switch for head swivel and quick look behind.

Zapperguy #28 Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Community Ace
  • 30846 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Here's how I have mine mapped:

Edited by Zapperguy, 04 September 2016 - 05:08 PM.

Skovit #29 Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 336 battles

Is there any freekin way to slave the camera to your plane without the camera moving all about like a scene from the Matrix. I use a joystick and every time I make a tight turn or a accent/decent the camera goes everywhere around the plane. This is BEYOND annoying. Please help?

BobozeeBear #30 Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22321 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Look me up in game, we'll walk through your settings and try and get you fixed right

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Zapperguy #31 Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• Community Ace
  • 30846 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostZapperguy, on 07 December 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

So, the throttle flipper has broken off a few times on my current stick (I'm on my 4th stick which isn't that old).  I tried the crazy glue type fix, but the torque on the throttle is too much and the bond breaks. I have even tried crazy glue to set it in place and a hot glue gun to add bulk and reinforcement - same results - snaps off after a couple days. Today I got a lil more creative. I crazy glued it into position, then crazy glued toothpick segments across the repair in hopes of truly strengthening the bond. Will try it tonight, but it looks pretty funky; so, I thought I'd give you folks a chuckle.

Spoiler

So, I'm resurrecting this thread to completely hijack it. :great:

As you can see in my earlier post, I tried a throttle repair method involving super glue and toothpicks. It hasn't failed, but I have modified the repair with some really cool material. It's got a ton of applications, is cheap, and easy to use.

Sorry for the poor quality pics - I blame my iPod

This stuff can even be used to "solder" while simultaneously insulating a fine wire to a circuit board. The possibilities abound. To do a repair like mine, you have to apply several thin layers. But, the stuff is ready in 5 seconds so it's not like watching paint dry. I smoothed this repair a little with a fingernail buffing cube, and it tolerated "sanding" just fine. I have no affiliation with this company, but it is something I think everybody could find a use for. Their homepage: http://notaglue.com/   Shop around. I got the 10mL one for $10 less than they have listed on their site. I'll be getting refills.

See you in the skies with a sturdy throttle!

Pogo68 #32 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 17114 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

hmm

Why not just drill a hole into the shaft, insert a metal rod and put a rubber tube/cap over it?

You'd get more strength.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Psicko23 #33 Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:02 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Zapper, your picture of the logitech 3d pro had two different buttons marked "8"

Zapperguy #34 Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

First Lieutenant

• Community Ace
  • 30846 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostPsicko23, on 01 January 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Zapper, your picture of the logitech 3d pro had two different buttons marked "8"

I noticed that right after I made that post. The boxes that say what each button does are accurate to the numbered buttons on the actual stick rather than the diagram. Good pick-up.

Psicko23 #35 Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
With all the rubberbanding, I stopped using the joystick. Seems like I get rubberbanding regardless of how many people are in a battle. 

BrushWolf #36 Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10349 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostZapperguy, on 07 December 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

So, the throttle flipper has broken off a few times on my current stick (I'm on my 4th stick which isn't that old).  I tried the crazy glue type fix, but the torque on the throttle is too much and the bond breaks. I have even tried crazy glue to set it in place and a hot glue gun to add bulk and reinforcement - same results - snaps off after a couple days. Today I got a lil more creative. I crazy glued it into position, then crazy glued toothpick segments across the repair in hopes of truly strengthening the bond. Will try it tonight, but it looks pretty funky; so, I thought I'd give you folks a chuckle.

Spoiler

View PostZapperguy, on 08 December 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

Not at all. I am just ham-handed on the thing. It always breaks during an aggressive turnfight when I'm mashing the throttle from full to zero and back. I just push too hard on the cheap plastic and "Snap!" It's because I'm pushing too hard once I reach the max movement - totally my fault, but they could offer a high-end edition of this decade old stick with mostly metal parts - I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I have one of the buttons set to idle and only use the throttle to go ftom 100% to boost and back to 100%.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

dunalready #37 Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Airman Basic

• 3010 battles
Anyone use a XBOX 360 Wireless Contoller?  

Noreaga #38 Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8683 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

herr oberst Nu used to not sure if anyone else still does. 

Bobo i know late to the party but my mouse accuracy is 16-30% sometimes i drop to single digits and sometimes i get upwards of 45%. 

Edited by Noreaga, 09 May 2016 - 08:57 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

DrSinister #39 Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

High-Tech Medic

• Community Ace
  • 4658 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Any Controller in game via the Gamepad setting is uses as a mouse emulation which is ridiculous.  To use it like a controller as a JS emulation, switch the settings to Joystick.

EspressoForHammy #40 Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4920 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
MARCO's joystick settings are the best. Usually he has the stick hidden though, and invites everyone to search and find it. Sometimes he allows TT to use it as well.

Edited by EspressoForHammy, 19 May 2016 - 01:34 PM.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users