Joystick'n

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Octavius_Cutler #1 Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1320 battles
  • [KGBS] KGBS

I am considering buying a joystick for the game. I currently play with my mouse and keyboard. Is a joystick easier than a moise? I also need some tutorials on how to use it. 

Thanks a million

losttwo #2 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

About 5 percent of my games are with a joystick. It is not " easier " nor " harder " to use.

The largest difference for me is the camera problem.

A mouse controlled plane is more like flying your plane from your head.

You move the mouse left as if you are looking left and the plane responds to the command.

A joystick you are always looking straight ahead unless you use a hat switch or alternate camera keys.

With the joystick the ground moves around the central hub of the screen causing me motion sickness. 

Mouse the camera can remain level on the horizon. Also known as ground always on the bottom of the screen.

Advantage in sniper mode with the joystick is that you know you are flying upside down.

With a mouse you need to come out of sniper mode or be very aware that you are inverted.

Here is a comparison between Joystick and Mouse during a 1 vs1 match in the training room with the I-16 late model.

GeorgePatton #3 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I haven't flown with a stick in a long time, but last I checked mouse+KB was the better route in WoWP. I'd wait for more experience JS users to comment before I took my opinion as complete fact. :)

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Lou #4 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7780 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Logitech Wingman seems to be the Cheap joystick of choice. It's what I have. The main differences are it's easier to aim with mouse. With a joystick, more realistic maneuvers are more easily performed.

here's a old post on the topic-

http://forum.worldof...162#entry511162

I wrote a guide on how to set it up, I need to up date it, she's locked.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

BobozeeBear #5 Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 25062 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Thrustmaster 16000M uses higher quality Hall sensors than the Logitech's pot sensors plus its ambidextrous...just my 2 cents

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Omega_Weapon #6 Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostLou, on 05 December 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Logitech Wingman seems to be the Cheap joystick of choice. It's what I have. The main differences are it's easier to aim with mouse. With a joystick, more realistic maneuvers are more easily performed.

here's a old post on the topic-

http://forum.worldof...162#entry511162

I wrote a guide on how to set it up, I need to up date it, she's locked.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

I'd have to agree. Joystick makes plane maneuvers easier and just feels more natural in a flight game. The aiming part though is a bit more tricky. Mouse users have the advantage there. I personally use a Logitech Extreme 3D pro. I like it but I'm not sure about the durability of the things. On my second one already after just 6 months.

DrSinister #7 Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4871 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Some of the things I noticed when trying to play with mouse coming from using JS since early, early closed beta.  Even one says its much easier to aim with a mouse, yet I have one hell of a time to do any damage on a plane using the mouse, but that is maybe because I am still use to not having to wait for my crosshair to show up to where my mouse pointer is at to shoot.  Also I am able to hold the aim a lot easier with a joystick then with a mouse.

Either way it will be an adjustment going from Mouse to JS especially way the camera is locked to the plane when using a JS.

Edited by DrSinister, 05 December 2015 - 07:44 PM.

BrushWolf #8 Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10781 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostGeorgePatton, on 05 December 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I haven't flown with a stick in a long time, but last I checked mouse+KB was the better route in WoWP. I'd wait for more experience JS users to comment before I took my opinion as complete fact. :)

View PostDrSinister, on 05 December 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Some of the things I noticed when trying to play with mouse coming from using JS since early, early closed beta.  Even one says its much easier to aim with a mouse, yet I have one hell of a time to do any damage on a plane using the mouse, but that is maybe because I am still use to not having to wait for my crosshair to show up to where my mouse pointer is at to shoot.  Also I am able to hold the aim a lot easier with a joystick then with a mouse.

Either way it will be an adjustment going from Mouse to JS especially way the camera is locked to the plane when using a JS.

It really comes down to personal preference and what you have gotten used to, neither is really better than the other except for being slightly easier to hold a bead on a turning plane with the mouse. In general joystick users are able to fly a little better and mouse + KB users are able to shoot a little better but the difference is minimal. If you want to try a JS you don't need or really want an expensive one so buy or borrow an inexpensive one, I use a Logitech Extreme 3D pro.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Bobby_Tables #9 Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 24138 battles

I also use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  I used a mouse for several thousand battles then switched to a joystick.  It was a learning experience for sure.  The way the camera works is different and the first few times I came out of a long battle dizzy.  I tried mouse flying recently and did not enjoy it as much.  The joystick was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.  

Personally, I think my aiming got better and my dodging certainly improved with the joystick.  The flip side is the camera views with the "top hat" leave a lot to be desired.  I have not yet perfected using my mouse with the joystick to use the free camera mode.  It's just too distracting to me.  So it's more difficult to check your 6 IMO.  

DrSinister #10 Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4871 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBobby_Tables, on 05 December 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

I also use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  I used a mouse for several thousand battles then switched to a joystick.  It was a learning experience for sure.  The way the camera works is different and the first few times I came out of a long battle dizzy.  I tried mouse flying recently and did not enjoy it as much.  The joystick was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.  

Personally, I think my aiming got better and my dodging certainly improved with the joystick.  The flip side is the camera views with the "top hat" leave a lot to be desired.  I have not yet perfected using my mouse with the joystick to use the free camera mode.  It's just too distracting to me.  So it's more difficult to check your 6 IMO.  

I have a button on the JS to switch to Free Camera Mode which then turns the Hat into a mini JS for looking around the plane.  But you have to remap the Hat forgot what it was, I will look at it in a bit here.

BrushWolf #11 Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10781 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostBobby_Tables, on 05 December 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

Learning curve for certain, when I do use the mouse for some odd reason here or when I do play WT which is stupidly joystick unfriendly for a flying game that is really a sim I tend to lawn dart more, a lot more, with the mouse.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

IronyAngel #12 Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1884 battles
When the game first came out I used a joystick, got my *** handed to me a lot, got frustrated and quit.  When 1.9 came out I used a mouse and got to learn by going up against easy bots (with inhuman aim at the time, but that has changed for low tiers) and had a blast.  I slowly advanced to tier 3 and I am using a joystick without much of a problem.  Setting a response curve on the stick that gives you some fine control and is predictable is the key.

Nvfx #13 Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21572 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Joystick can be tough, but if you're use to turning with the cockpit of the plane, it's great, because every movement is as exact as it is. High learning curve, high rewards for percision.

I'm a KM user, and it is great if you get dizzy a lot from the camera movements. It's suggestive to bind your "pitch up" key on a certain button, otherwise mouse user will never be able to keep up with joystick users in a tense dogfight in similar maneuverable planes (so you don't need move your mouse upwards like a madman, and still have a chance of losing)

One disadvantage on JS (at least for me) is that I feel very limited in vision, which equates lowered situation awareness. I have no problem killing, but it's a lot easier look around by just pressing the right mouse button to view the incoming onslaught, or anything that's around me. On JS, you can view in 6 directions, + combination of each of those view directions, but you gotta put that in your head and do that on the fly. Snap to target is great, but still doesn't give the flexibility of Mouse free view.

Edited by Envioux, 06 December 2015 - 12:15 AM.

Zapperguy #14 Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34316 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro as well. I won't play without a joystick or a first person camera mod. Pilots don't sit above and behind their aircraft while flying it, and neither do I. First person camera mods are available in various mod packs. Mine is first-person-only, and it only works with a joystick. It is available in DrSinister's pack.

This is an old video, but the mod is basically the same.

Good luck with whatever control method you decide to use.

Hope to see you in the skies!

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Zapperguy #15 Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34316 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

So, the throttle flipper has broken off a few times on my current stick (I'm on my 4th stick which isn't that old).  I tried the crazy glue type fix, but the torque on the throttle is too much and the bond breaks. I have even tried crazy glue to set it in place and a hot glue gun to add bulk and reinforcement - same results - snaps off after a couple days. Today I got a lil more creative. I crazy glued it into position, then crazy glued toothpick segments across the repair in hopes of truly strengthening the bond. Will try it tonight, but it looks pretty funky; so, I thought I'd give you folks a chuckle.

Spoiler

losttwo #16 Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:49 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostZapperguy, on 07 December 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

So, the throttle flipper has broken off a few times on my current stick (I'm on my 4th stick which isn't that old).  I tried the crazy glue type fix, but the torque on the throttle is too much and the bond breaks. I have even tried crazy glue to set it in place and a hot glue gun to add bulk and reinforcement - same results - snaps off after a couple days. Today I got a lil more creative. I crazy glued it into position, then crazy glued toothpick segments across the repair in hopes of truly strengthening the bond. Will try it tonight, but it looks pretty funky; so, I thought I'd give you folks a chuckle.

Spoiler

OK Wallowitz. Why don;t you take advice from Sheldon and use a 2 part epoxy resin and glue a thin metal plate to it.

Use Tin snips and cut an empty can ( not aluminum ). Something  like green bean can or corn can. You can even use a soup can of some sort.

Use the tin snips to cut down the seem to unroll the can. Use a hammer to flatten the can.

Use the tin snips and shape 2 pieces, one for each side.

Mix the 2 part epoxy and apply it to the metal pieces and sandwich them over the plastic.

clamp in place or you can use vice grips as clamps if you do not own any real clamps.

Let set

Of course this also depends on where the break is.

Edited by losttwo, 08 December 2015 - 02:51 AM.

Zapperguy #17 Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34316 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View Postlosttwo, on 07 December 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

OK Wallowitz. Why don;t you take advice from Sheldon and use a 2 part epoxy resin and glue a thin metal plate to it.

Use Tin snips and cut an empty can ( not aluminum ). Something  like green bean can or corn can. You can even use a soup can of some sort.

Use the tin snips to cut down the seem to unroll the can. Use a hammer to flatten the can.

Use the tin snips and shape 2 pieces, one for each side.

Mix the 2 part epoxy and apply it to the metal pieces and sandwich them over the plastic.

clamp in place or you can use vice grips as clamps if you do not own any real clamps.

Let set

Of course this also depends on where the break is.

A good 2-part epoxy is ideally what I would have liked to use but had none in the house so I used what I had. I thought about metal, but regardless the reinforcing material, the break is where the Logitech throttles always break - close to the barrel. Very little material to work with on the barrel of the throttle. I couldn't imagine any metal that would have held up any better than my toothpicks. I did go through the same thought process, but this seemed like my best shot. I would definitely have preferred the epoxy esp for attaching the toothpicks.

Not flown with it yet but soon.

When I buy #5 someday, I may remove the throttle before I even use it and bring it to a machine shop to see if they can fabricate an all metal version.

Edited by Zapperguy, 08 December 2015 - 03:52 AM.

losttwo #18 Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostZapperguy, on 07 December 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

When I buy #5 someday, I may remove the throttle before I even use it and bring it to a machine shop to see if they can fabricate an all metal version.

oh yeah. there is that option. Pull a Penny and let Leonard handle it....roflmao.

Being broke close to the barrel sounds like a machine shop visit too.

DrSinister #19 Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4871 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
That is odd, I am only on my 2nd 3D pro and the 1st was because of a bad Horizontal Pot.  Each of my throttles have been loose enough to slide with ease but tight enough to maintain its position.  Is yours really that tight that you have to put that much force on it to move the throttle?

Zapperguy #20 Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34316 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDrSinister, on 08 December 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

That is odd, I am only on my 2nd 3D pro and the 1st was because of a bad Horizontal Pot.  Each of my throttles have been loose enough to slide with ease but tight enough to maintain its position.  Is yours really that tight that you have to put that much force on it to move the throttle?

Not at all. I am just ham-handed on the thing. It always breaks during an aggressive turnfight when I'm mashing the throttle from full to zero and back. I just push too hard on the cheap plastic and "Snap!" It's because I'm pushing too hard once I reach the max movement - totally my fault, but they could offer a high-end edition of this decade old stick with mostly metal parts - I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Edited by Zapperguy, 08 December 2015 - 12:44 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users