Jump to content


I want the software programmers of 30 years ago

rant

  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 26 battles
  • 3,918
  • Member since:
    02-09-2012

It seems the generation we have today for software programmers lack common sense, or rather the ones I work with. The older ones take into consideration of a maintenance cycle, of backups, and of capacity infrastructure limits. They plan ahead for disaster and contingencies. The new ones today, they don't want to do the effort. It takes too much work look ahead. Waaah!

 

We had a customer down a day because our programmer filled the hard drive up with three years of logs. Really? No logs cycled for a month, or curtailing the de-bug capture. And why do you need de-bug running after being live for three years? What other company is paying you to make us look so bad? We are not looking good. It is said that one bad customer relation event is remembered by customers for 30 years. And that is a true axiom in customer service.

 

There are times I wish I could smack heads. Think people, think.

 

Rant over.


1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

 


losttwo #2 Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 12,612
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

:playing:

It's not just in the computer industry. It is everywhere.

 


Edited by losttwo, 03 November 2015 - 01:55 PM.


BOT_ROCKET #3 Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 59 battles
  • 663
  • [-WS-] -WS-
  • Member since:
    06-17-2012
You work for WG?

Just close your eyes and get ready for the Robo ride of your life.


theponja #4 Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 235 battles
  • 929
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013
I with you Flak. I've been working on IT for 30 years and the new programmers seems to be careless and lazy. 

Noreaga #5 Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,982
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012
lol, for you IT guys the progression of this game and the huge number of " I told you so" must be infuriating. I work in education where mistakes are to be learned form, and this place can drive me nuts. You guys are in the business of foresight, this game's release cycle must be like a form of Chinese water torture. Drip, drip, drip, no more dumb changes!!!

Nimis obnoxii curare


RedSpartacus #6 Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1,521
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    02-02-2014
The best thing of those developers was not accounting for year 2000. Almost all programs had to be updated. That gave a hype.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

IronyAngel #7 Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 266
  • Member since:
    06-15-2012
It might have something to do with management going live with the prototype.  No time to apply all the lessons learned to a clean build of the program, we need to start on the next project.  Happens to me approximately 100% of the time.

FlakValleyExpress #8 Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 26 battles
  • 3,918
  • Member since:
    02-09-2012

View PostBOT_ROCKET, on 03 November 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

You work for WG?

 

Nope, They will spit me out if they did. I leave a bad taste  :trollface:

 

 

View Posttheponja, on 03 November 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

I with you Flak. I've been working on IT for 30 years and the new programmers seems to be careless and lazy. 

 

Maybe its the amount of work? :amazed: However It is funny to get an Apple vs a IBM programmer in a discussion. Talk about a chemical explosion :hiding:

 

View PostNoreaga, on 03 November 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

lol, for you IT guys the progression of this game and the huge number of " I told you so" must be infuriating. I work in education where mistakes are to be learned form, and this place can drive me nuts. You guys are in the business of foresight, this game's release cycle must be like a form of Chinese water torture. Drip, drip, drip, no more dumb changes!!!

 

There is a difference from Academia vs Professional. We plan for disaster such as when a system administrator closes their call center by accident, program a Holiday in the middle of the week or worst a hardware failure.


1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

 


Vanize #9 Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    05-21-2014

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 03 November 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

It seems the generation we have today for software programmers lack common sense, or rather the ones I work with. The older ones take into consideration of a maintenance cycle, of backups, and of capacity infrastructure limits. They plan ahead for disaster and contingencies. The new ones today, they don't want to do the effort. It takes too much work look ahead. Waaah!

 

We had a customer down a day because our programmer filled the hard drive up with three years of logs. Really? No logs cycled for a month, or curtailing the de-bug capture. And why do you need de-bug running after being live for three years? What other company is paying you to make us look so bad? We are not looking good. It is said that one bad customer relation event is remembered by customers for 30 years. And that is a true axiom in customer service.

 

There are times I wish I could smack heads. Think people, think.

 

Rant over.

 

you know what software developers want - the company loyalty and intelligence of 30 years ago - where you could depend on employment for more than 6 months, there were retirement plans, and senior programmers didn't get fired in their 40s or 50s because junior programmers who don't have a clue about any of the stuff you talked about cost 1/2 the salary (but only worth 1/8th as much).

 

if you pay for crap, you get crap. no one pays for quality anymore.


Edited by Vanize, 03 November 2015 - 05:07 PM.


Mackunaima #10 Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • 1,622
  • Member since:
    04-09-2012

It's not about to have or not have common sense.

 

I'm programming for almost 20 years, and the main thing I've seen change over the years are two things:
- Developers in general have become self-centered, because now they are hipsters, cool;
- Companies do not care more about longevity of software, they plan something that gives instant profit and then can fail afetr competitor launch. Then the cycle repeats.

 

Read this critical Linus wrote about an implementation made by his programmers. 

http://lkml.iu.edu/h...10.3/02866.html

 

"I'm sorry, but we don't add idiotic new interfaces like this for
idiotic new code like that."

 

"All this
kind of crap does is to make the code a unreadable mess with code that
no sane person will ever really understand what it actually does."

 

Regards,
Mack


Edited by Mackunaima, 03 November 2015 - 05:22 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

 


Mr_D_Duck #11 Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 671
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View Postlosttwo, on 03 November 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

:playing:

It's not just in the computer industry. It is everywhere.

 

 

It's even in the Player's, Bark, Bark, Bark.

CLOSED BETA -> 1008 ------ OPEN BETA -> 2891 ------ LIVE -> 6210 +

T1/5 Planes @ 306 flights - 61.76% {L.G.P. - Feb 2015} ----- T2/15 Planes @ 306 flights - "95% completed"

   T3/14 Planes |-----| T4/12 Planes |-----| T5/16 Planes |-----| T6/ 1 Plane (so far)

Still Here & Still playing, The Game - MY WAY !


Noreaga #12 Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,982
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012

View PostMackunaima, on 03 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's not about to have or not have common sense.

 

- Developers in general have become self-centered, because now they are hipsters, cool;
 

lol that one made me laugh! Damn hipsters first they ruin worn jeans (can't wear those anymore), my favorite hang outs and coffee  shops. NOTE: Latte art does not make you a good barrista(o), stop with your bad art and make the espresso short like i asked.

 


Nimis obnoxii curare


Mackunaima #13 Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • 1,622
  • Member since:
    04-09-2012

View PostNoreaga, on 03 November 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

lol that one made me laugh! Damn hipsters first they ruin worn jeans (can't wear those anymore), my favorite hang outs and coffee  shops.

 

NOTE: Latte art does not make you a good barrista(o), stop with your bad art and make the espresso short like i asked.

 

 

niiiiice...


"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

 


FlakValleyExpress #14 Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 26 battles
  • 3,918
  • Member since:
    02-09-2012

View PostVanize, on 03 November 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

 

you know what software developers want - the company loyalty and intelligence of 30 years ago - where you could depend on employment for more than 6 months, there were retirement plans, and senior programmers didn't get fired in their 40s or 50s because junior programmers who don't have a clue about any of the stuff you talked about cost 1/2 the salary (but only worth 1/8th as much).

 

if you pay for crap, you get crap. no one pays for quality anymore.

 

How true, Loyalty only go as far as the dollar/franc/pound/ruble/peso goes. Overall you take care of your people (staff), your people take care of you.

 


Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 03 November 2015 - 08:29 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

 


Noreaga #15 Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:37 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,982
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 03 November 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

 

How true, Loyalty only go as far as the dollar/franc/pound/ruble/peso goes. Overall you take care of your people (staff), your people take care of you.

 

 

it is interesting that trend, profit sharing has been shown to improve just about everything. i never understood treating your staff like crap, when a little empathy can bring such incredible results. 

Nimis obnoxii curare


Heh #16 Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

    Sky Whale Historian

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 11,960
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Software programmers from 30 years ago had to deal with more primitive bare bones programs. This forced good habits onto them. Newer programmers were raised when computers became more easily accessible. What I'm saying is that the current generation rides on what the older generation built. Nothing special here.

 

I will admit however that hipsters kill anything they touch. It gets worse now that indie games are more popular.


Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:


OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O





Also tagged with rant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users