What? They don't mean, can't be. Do they realize? Where is my phrase book?

Funny Translation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

Captain

• 60 battles

Block Quote

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya

Once again Google translate comes up with another funny translation for the RU WoWP portal page about an event happening this week.

Block Quote

Gentlemen's clubs

Pilots!

This week we want to dedicate this aristocracy sky - Heavy Fighter UK. Join the club of gentlemen and conquer the skies in the UK "heavyweights", and we do not stand up for the award, sir!

RU WoWP portal source link

I thought at first, someone lost their marbles seeing the thread title. I had to do a double take on this. Then I realize its Google being Google using blunt force of the English language. Being in the USA that term for a club has a different meaning, more of an adult nature. Our is it me, being prudish in my ways with my mind in the gutter? :amazed:

All of this reminds me of this situation.

Say no more wink, wink, :trollface:

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 17 August 2015 - 05:48 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Vanize #2 Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
honestly it took me a while (like a minute) to get from "club of gentlemen" to "gentleman's club", so yeah, might be just you. go spend your money somewhere else :P

Heh #3 Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Russian is pretty weird when translated to English.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

losttwo #4 Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 1609 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
$$ in hand and waiting...hope its more than just topless.

WanderingGhost #5 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostHeh, on 17 August 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

most languages when blunt force translated are kinda weird, even German the word usage or order can be botched like the one article someone linked that got taken way out of context. Where the guy interviewed was saying, paraphrasing cause it was a year ago, "new pilots find it frustrating going against veteran players with thousands of battles" but google had spat out something akin to him blaming veteran players for issues with the game. Case where knowing the language, I knew, having to refresh some knowledge and look up words I hadn't seen before, that the word order when translated right meant one thing, google takes it I believe too direct. 

Also, it's really hard to tell what is meant on the internet, on the tanks forum I saw a mod post that was simply titled "egg laying mammals vs foxey ladies" (or something like that) and initially thought being it's the internet and they have some very odd people there that it was a thread that got locked, turned out it was the not quite right names of two teams facing off that night. Hard to tell if the guy had no clue of what lurks out there when he typed that, or if it was intentional so people would click going "wthis this" or "Wait, someone seriously tried posting that kinda stuff here?"

Aces/Destroyer/Ace(post1.9)(#of/#) - A6M1(7/1), P-36(1), BF-109b(3), Ao-192(1), beaufighter(3/1), BF-109z(2), P-12(2), A6M2(3), P-51a(4), Yak-7(2), Bf-110C-6(2), F4F(2/4), Blenheim(2), BSH-2(1), XP-50(1),  BF-109f(1), LA-5(1), Spitfire I(2), P-40 M-105(3), BF-110e(1), F4U-1(1), FW-190 A-5(4), I-16e.(1), XF4F-3(1), A6M5(5), F7F(1), XF4U-1(1), Bf-109E (1), A7M (2), I-16l (1), P-38f (1), P-40 (1), Mig-3 (1)

Gang_Starr #6 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

Captain

• 2 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostHeh, on 17 August 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

Yes, an example is, if you wanted to say something like "I went to get a drink" in Russian it would be worded like "I to get a drink went"

While it would also be completely normal to say the same thing this way:

"I to drink went to get"

"To get a drink I went to get"

etc.. so not only does it sound weird when you google translate from Russian, there are also many ways to say one thing as you can usually freely change the order of some words in the sentence.

Edited by Gang_Starr, 18 August 2015 - 05:47 AM.

Tenks

FlakValleyExpress #7 Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Captain

• 60 battles
This discussion reminded me of the start of the English language.  I recall a description for a phrase from Olde English , " There sits the king on the throne" is the same as "Here sits the King on the throne". It only change when William the Conquer came to England and adapted French to the English language for syntax changes.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Also tagged with Funny, Translation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users