Round 3 8/12/15 Scores

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

dityboycom #21 Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Colonel

• 10240 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTHEMARCO1979, on 13 August 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah we will have to look at this, in terms of the double elimination bracket, "ACES CREW" does move forward to the losing bracket, how would we force Hydra not to move forward? there is no space in the losing bracket, the only option would be a bye for their opponent in the next round, which means hydra is totally out of the tournament, which doesnt seem fair, I think that rule might be more suited for single elimination.

Sent in a pm to Ghost, Vegan, Killer P and both team captains.  It might just require a change to the wording of the rules depending how similar situations were dealt with in the past.

Well to be fair, if you guys are enforcing the rules, the rules said both teams are Disqualified. So Nooblets, and whoever wins tonight from bros and diva would get byes.

So it's probably in the tournaments best interest to allow this one to slide, unless everyone wants to be sore losers on both teams.

It also says the dispute would have to be formally submitted, which if neither team does so then we move on like it never happened.

Edited by dityboycom, 13 August 2015 - 05:05 PM.

chemnut842 #22 Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Master Sergeant

• 15809 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
yeah.... lets just move on and keep playing. I doubt anybody on Sucklets wants a bye.... lets play!!!

t4degrees #23 Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14895 battles
I am impartial to either decision once its made, however a clarification of the rules would be appropriate. If we slide here, or claim that its fuzzy logic to allow a team to ignore one of the rules I think its in the best interest of all the players that we define what other rules can be bent or ignored all together. Rewriting the rules after the fact only undermines the whole basis as to why we establish them to begin with. DQing both teams is clearly unfair as to DQing the in fractioning team is clearly what we are discussing. Ignoring it ever happend is not an option that seems moral. Again I am not bias to either choice, however I am a firm believer in the establishment and enforcement of rules and protocols.

Edited by t4degrees, 13 August 2015 - 06:52 PM.

dityboycom #24 Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Colonel

• 10240 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postt4degrees, on 13 August 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

I am impartial to either decision once its made, however a clarification of the rules would be appropriate. If we slide here, or claim that its fuzzy logic to allow a team to ignore one of the rules I think its in the best interest of all the players that we define what other rules can be bent or ignored all together. Rewriting the rules after the fact only undermines the whole basis as to why we establish them to begin with. DQing both teams is clearly unfair as to DQing the in fractioning team is clearly what we are discussing. Ignoring it ever happend is not an option that seems moral. Again I am not bias to either choice, however I am a firm believer in the establishment and enforcement of rules and protocols.

I think its a lesson to be learned for an AAR, but to punish the remaining teams by eliminating competition seems as unfair as ignoring the rules. I'd rather play.

wooly_bear #25 Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 16708 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
Since I am the team captain of Aces Crew then I would like to say that I know there are rules but in this case we lost fair and square and we did post the results. Their team captain was not available last night and their not posting was just an oversight. Let us not ruin this fun tournament over something that trivial. I would have preferred to win but not on a technical victory unless it was due to improper team or plane make up. 

macfloam #26 Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7314 battles
  • [TOP-D] TOP-D

The purpose for rules like this are to make things easy for the event organizer. If participants don't post their results in a timely fashion, this can create problems and it's incredibly frustrating if the organizer needs to hunt down the participating teams to find out the result. In an attempt to preempt such a situation, the event organizer will often write a "post your results on time or else...." rule. The purpose of this rule is to get the results on time. No event organizer ever wants to enforce the "or else" part.

When participating in these events, we all need to make sure we're not enforcing rules just for the sake of enforcing rules. Rules are a means to an end (fair play), not an end in and of themselves. In our matches, TFE-A witnessed 4 rules infractions:

1. In our first match against 5divabogeys, they thought they would only have 4 pilots. They assigned those 4 pilots to Team 1 and said "READY". We then selected our planes and said "READY". A 5th pilot for their team showed up and they asked if he could join their team. The rules explicitly forbid this, and for good reason. Now that the Home Team has seen our lineup, this 5th pilot can now select a plane that is ideal for countering our strategy. Had we thought this scenario was contrived in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage, we would have enforced the rule and said, "sorry, but you already stated that you are ready". However, I highly doubt this was some elaborate ruse to pull one over on a team they undoubtedly knew they were going to trounce, and thus we allowed their pilot to join the match. Sure, we could have used the rules to gain an advantage, but the rule exists to prevent the Home Team from gaining an unfair advantage. Since we did not feel that's what they were trying to do, we felt the rule should not apply. 
  2. The match started and we noticed that they had accidentally selected the wrong map (they were apparently unaware that all matches were to be contested in Plateau). Again, we could have called for a disqualification (or at least a restart). However, we once again felt that the opposing team was not trying to seek an unfair advantage, so we let this slide.
  3. However, 5divabogeys brought 3 light fighters and 2 heavy fighters to that first battle. This gave them a significant unfair advantage and thus were disqualified for that battle. As per the rules, we pointed out the mistake, which is a good rule because the objective is to fight fair battles, not let the enemy keep bringing illegal planes and then claim a victory based on rules rather than results. There was no bickering. 5divabogeys admitted the mistake, accepted the loss, and then beat us fairly in the next 4 matches. 
  4. In our first match against Black Legion, they had a player fail to load. They waited to see if they would load in, which of course took them past the 20 seconds allowed to request a restart. They requested one anyway, and we allowed it. Again, we could have been rules nazis and forced them to fight us 4v5, but again, the rules were written to prevent team's from intentionally disconnecting to gain an advantage. They clearly had not done so, so we felt the rule should not apply. We restarted the match. Later, we had the same issue and they restarted the match for us. 

It looks like failing to post the results in a timely fashion in this case didn't hinder the event organizer's job, so I'd suggest applying the "no harm, no foul" concept. In the future, event organizers may want to relax the "or else" part of the rules. The stick needs to be big enough to encourage teams to post results on time, without being so big that it ruins the entire tournament experience simply because someone forgot to do something. In this case, perhaps the rules should have stated something like:

The winning team should post the results of their match immediately following their victory. If the results are not posted before the event organizer updates the bracket, the event organizer will flip a coin to decide which team advances. In the event of a "coin-flip" victory, the event organizer will assign a result of 1-0. The event organizer will update the brackets between 8 am & 9 am each morning*.  

*Just an estimate. I have no idea what time is good for Killerpopcorn to update the brackets.

csmscruffy #27 Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6823 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

i will offer myself up for public tar & feathering and or flogging         p.s. thanks for all the above suport

Edited by csmscruffy, 13 August 2015 - 08:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users