Air Raid 6 (8/10/15)

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

MARS_REVENANT #41 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I can see the negativity underlying your response.... It is no big deal to do this and surprised you shut down this idea immediately without further discussion. This reaks of an op team selection already in progress...example: DRACS and ACES. The two clans that flight together most often. I can almost predict which team(s) will get the prize full of DRACS and ACES. I say this not to be vicious but based on what I know about this game and it's clan player base. You say you want a younger player base to play...then make it random. player selection. It is no big deal to do.

This is NOT a CLAN ONLY tournament.

This gives opportunity for some very skilled lone wolves to form a team and compete, and a very fair chance to win.

There would also be a lot of coordination to overcome to get your idea to work, for one thing, you are adding more administration tasks and time, we want this to run as simply as possible and keep admin to a minimum. Also, think about 8 random players being put together, they would need time to agree (if that is even possible) on a leader, hopefully they all speak the same language, the all would need to have the correct tier/type of planes, they need time to familiarize themselves with eachothers play stiles/stratagies, this puts a lot of work and time on the participants, we would need to add weeks to the start date of the tournament.

These are all reasons why I dont like the idea, we want this to be easy for participants, admin and WG staff, that is how we will make these events more common, hopefulley every month.  Look at what happened to CCWB, is anyone jumping to run/participate in another one of those?

Your idea is interesting, but I think something like that would only work with a much larger population, where you would have a bunch of single players.

Edited by THEMARCO1979, 24 July 2015 - 03:39 PM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

dityboycom #42 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

I can see the negativity underlying your response.... It is no big deal to do this and surprised you shut down this idea immediately without further discussion. This reaks of an op team selection already in progress...example: DRACS and ACES. The two clans that flight together most often. I can almost predict which team(s) will get the prize full of DRACS and ACES. I say this not to be vicious but based on what I know about this game and it's clan player base. You say you want a younger player base to play...then make it random. player selection. It is no big deal to do.

Very few people will want to play with random people, if the idea is to maximize participation, then this would be counter-productive.

If you just don't want good players participating, say that, don't try to make it convoluted it in team selection adjustments.

GouIdy #43 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Topsight if you don't like the way this tournament is set up then by all means start your own & set it up the way you like.

Killerpopcorn #44 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 113 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

No negativity here, If you want to start a tournament go for it I will help out. I am doing this because we have not had anything in almost 2 years. I know you have a negative side towards some clans I am sure from past and maybe present issues and I am not trying to make this about "just clans". But how are you to know that one or two clans will dominate considering we haven't had anything in 1-2 years. There are a lot of clans in this game that show awesome skills and that's in 2 man flights. I am not sure if you are basing your prediction of previous air raids or what but the game and people have changed.

Edit:***When I say clans I mean Teams***

Edited by Killerpopcorn, 24 July 2015 - 03:36 PM.

Air Raid #1: 4th place/Air Raid #2 3rd Place/Air Raid #4 2nd Place/Air Raid #5 9th place

Crossover #1 1st Place/ Launch Event 1st place

EasternDragon_2014 #45 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4 battles

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

If this tourney is T8+, the results will be a different story.

EspressoForHammy #46 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Wow people. Kpop you need to just start excluding people from the tourney. Clearly there are some posters here that don't want to play anyway.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Rob7183 #47 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 92 battles
  • [SF] SF
Just keep working it the way you guys are.  I think you're on the right track.  Sure, some things to work out yet, but you've tried hard in your design to give a reasonable shot to anyone on the server in any class of plane.  That's a good basis to build on

Rob7183.png 

Topsight #48 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Enjoy your one sided tournament because it goes right across the grain of getting new players to play in it. Set's it up for certain people to increase their chances of winning and padding their Gold accounts. You are right some will not play in what I propose becuase they must be flighted with people they normally flight with...my idea reduces their chances and puts more work on them to produce...in other words will require a higher skill that they don't possess outside of a flight they normally do with people they know. Enjoy the fallout after. I will get with GhostPrime and set-up a completely fair and random player selection tourney. I say this will full conviction of what I believe.

MARS_REVENANT #49 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostEspressoForHammy, on 24 July 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Wow people. Kpop you need to just start excluding people from the tourney. Clearly there are some posters here that don't want to play anyway.

If they don't want to play, then they don't need to be excluded.

All feedback is a learning experience for how the next tournament could be revised.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

MARS_REVENANT #50 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Enjoy your one sided tournament because it goes right across the grain of getting new players to play in it. Set's it up for certain people to increase their chances of winning and padding their Gold accounts. You are right some will not play in what I propose becuase they must be flighted with people they normally flight with...my idea reduces their chances and puts more work on them to produce...in other words will require a higher skill that they don't possess outside of a flight they normally do with people they know. Enjoy the fallout after. I will get with GhostPrime and set-up a completely fair and random player selection tourney. I say this will full conviction of what I believe.

Thanks for the feedback Top.  We will consider it for something in the future.

I wish you luck and success in anything you put together.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Edited by THEMARCO1979, 24 July 2015 - 03:54 PM.

broslicer #51 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostEasternDragon_2014, on 24 July 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

If this tourney is T8+, the results will be a different story.

yup, WS would be thrown into the mix:trollface:

EZ.

dityboycom #52 Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Good luck with that bro!

It's my understanding this tournament is less about gold and more about having a competition that everyone can participate in (double elimination) until the end, regardless of talent. If you think it's about padding accounts because it's being ran by a drac then so be it.

Killerpopcorn #53 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 113 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTopsight, on 24 July 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

You are entitled to your own opinion's and views on things and I respect that like anyone else's. If you fill this is a unfair tournament that is your opinion and your decision on if you want to play or not. Myself nor others are forcing anyone to play with certain people or participate in this. This just something that we put together to break the monotony of what we have. I am more then willing to help out with a random player assigned tournaments if you wish to run one in the future.

Air Raid #1: 4th place/Air Raid #2 3rd Place/Air Raid #4 2nd Place/Air Raid #5 9th place

Crossover #1 1st Place/ Launch Event 1st place

Jaguardian #54 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

• 1 battle
I think Topsight is getting confused about the differences between a tournament and an event.

MARS_REVENANT #55 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
FYI I have revised the rules slightly. Refer to the OP.

broslicer #56 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
another question, is there a co-captain/sub-captain in case the captain is not able to perform his/her duties?

Edited by broslicer, 24 July 2015 - 04:53 PM.

EZ.

Rob7183 #57 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 92 battles
  • [SF] SF

LOL, looks like the NCAA basketball Tourney.  Let's see who makes the Final Four.  Personally, I think this will be more fun and faster moving than CCWB was.  Sure, ACES, VSW, and DRACS teams will score the most wins, if they compete as clan teams, along with a few others like WHAWKS.  Oh well, that's the same way these tourneys run outside, too.  Nobody handicapped UNC when they lined up Michael Jordan at Guard...

I like the fact that teams can't stack 5 ridiculously OP'ed planes.  Even a kick [edited]top tier team can make an error and end up a critical plane down.  Bad strategy or map use can cost you as much as flying errors.  The only thing I would have wanted to see different is more of a map mix.  Plateau is a good map, but GA has only a few viable choices on it.  Tough to be a sneaky, hit and run kinda GA.  And after a couple battles, the victors will know almost to the second when and where their opponent will hit.

Edited by Rob7183, 24 July 2015 - 05:01 PM.

Rob7183.png 

MARS_REVENANT #58 Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postbroslicer, on 24 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

another question, is there a co-captain/sub-captain in case the captain is not able to perform his/her duties?

We will have o look at this, theoretically it shouldn't matter, we just want there to be a fair battle, so anyone on the team should be able to perform any duty, however, when it comes to having to contact the visiting team to let them know the room is up, you would have to know who should be contacted.

We will look at it, and possibly add 1 or 2 assistant captains.

MARS_REVENANT #59 Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Colonel

• 762 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostRob7183, on 24 July 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

LOL, looks like the NCAA basketball Tourney.  Let's see who makes the Final Four.  Personally, I think this will be more fun and faster moving than CCWB was.  Sure, ACES, VSW, and DRACS teams will score the most wins, if they compete as clan teams, along with a few others like WHAWKS.  Oh well, that's the same way these tourneys run outside, too.  Nobody handicapped UNC when they lined up Michael Jordan at Guard...

I like the fact that teams can't stack 5 ridiculously OP'ed planes.  Even a kick [edited]top tier team can make an error and end up a critical plane down.  Bad strategy or map use can cost you as much as flying errors.  The only thing I would have wanted to see different is more of a map mix.  Plateau is a good map, but GA has only a few viable choices on it.  Tough to be a sneaky, hit and run kinda GA.  And after a couple battles, the victors will know almost to the second when and where their opponent will hit.

A GA plane is not a requirement. There are better maps for GA and worse maps, Plateau is in-between.  It wouldn't be fair to select a map that gave an advantage.

Edited by THEMARCO1979, 24 July 2015 - 05:11 PM.

broslicer #60 Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostTHEMARCO1979, on 24 July 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

A GA plane is not a requirement. There are better maps for GA and worse maps, Plateau is in-between.  It wouldn't be fair to select a map that gave an advantage.

everyone has to use a plane from japan though lol. my only issue with Plateau is that it's too big for a 5v5 t6, but it's okay no worries. (Bay would of been a good map, but like I said no worries, Plateau will do just fine:).) wonder if I could talk to ghostprime and make a t1 tournament, that would be interesting.

Edited by broslicer, 24 July 2015 - 05:16 PM.

EZ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users