Developers' Blog: Dam (New Map)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Developer
  • 0 battles
Over on the Developers' Blog we've posted some info about an epic new map!

Full news text

EasternDragon_2014 #2 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4 battles
Why not T5-T10.

woofman34 #3 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [SG] SG
cool :great:

dityboycom #4 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Pick better things to spend your time on.

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Captain

• 666 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

What I said: "Dam the dam! Dam it!"

What he thought I said: "Damn the damn! Damn it!"

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

ViolentAngel #6 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
Yay - new map!  Looks really good, and the way it's described sort of reminds me of the old National Park...  do you guys get that sense too?  If so, I see this as a gesture from WG to us players here in the NA region.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

losttwo #7 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13682 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1
in before lock for foul language:playing:

Edited by losttwo, 17 July 2015 - 10:22 PM.

ViolentAngel #8 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 17 July 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Pick better things to spend your time on.

What would you suggest the level designers spend their time on instead?

-- William Blake

Phrap #9 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 21 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
How on earth will a map "...challenge everyone’s piloting and shooting skills..."? Seriously, these blogs are complete garbage. Also it looks like yet another large Fjords map, safe to call it Fjords 3.0, as the "new" National Park is Fjords 2.0. Seriously, WG needs to fire their map designers, they haven't been able to make any good maps since before launch.

dityboycom #10 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostJekyll_n_Hyde, on 17 July 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

What would you suggest the level designers spend their time on instead?

If you think maps are a design and don't require the entire development team to coordinate destructible, targets, mechanics, and  much more, then I don't know what to tell you.  Maps are a very development heavy concept, and when your game is riddled with bugs, faulty mechanics, general poor design, and no real direction you need to prioritize your developers time in a much more efficient time. They should be fixing bugs, fixing broken mechanics, developing clan wars, strong holds, Special Battle rooms for tournaments and much more.

Building maps and putting out piss poor missions is the lowest thing on this developments priority list; rather, it should be the lowest thing, but it seems to be all they give us. New maps, and more broken mechanics while bugs that have exited for 4 major patch iterations still riddle the game.

Oh, wait, that's right, as far as WG is concerned their games have no major development issues and zero bugs currently in their title. That would be why they spend no development time on the things peopel complain about most. It's always the users fault, could never be the game.

_Warchylde_ #11 Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postdityboycom, on 17 July 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

If you think maps are a design and don't require the entire development team to coordinate destructible, targets, mechanics, and  much more, then I don't know what to tell you.  Maps are a very development heavy concept, and when your game is riddled with bugs, faulty mechanics, general poor design, and no real direction you need to prioritize your developers time in a much more efficient time. They should be fixing bugs, fixing broken mechanics, developing clan wars, strong holds, Special Battle rooms for tournaments and much more.

Building maps and putting out piss poor missions is the lowest thing on this developments priority list; rather, it should be the lowest thing, but it seems to be all they give us. New maps, and more broken mechanics while bugs that have exited for 4 major patch iterations still riddle the game.

Oh, wait, that's right, as far as WG is concerned their games have no major development issues and zero bugs currently in their title. That would be why they spend no development time on the things peopel complain about most. It's always the users fault, could never be the game.

Well said, dity!!   You and I don't see eye to eye often, but hell, when you're right, dammit boy, you're right!

+1 bro

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

MO_E #12 Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10296 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Ok, So when do we get this 1.8.3 Patch?

Will we find out the day after it comes out. As usual.  :(

Seems like a waste of time,. As Dity mentioned. 

MO

Tonzzo #13 Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• 732 battles
Oh boy a new map....  Will it be another one of those maps that fall out of rotation and we barely ever see?  Great way to waste your time WG...  Hows 1.9 coming?  Does it have Clan Wars?  NO?  Shocker.....  :sceptic:

losttwo #14 Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13682 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

I have to side with Dity on this.

Although Wargaming is a large company and perhaps has it own separate maps development division

with cross communication and shared information much like many large corporations.

Even our own CIA, FBI, NSA are required to share info across each division and work together to accomplish certain tasks.

Even Special Forces have now began working jointly thus the creation of  SOCOM in the late 1980's.

Development of a map for playability and efficient design will not work unless the BASIC and FOUNDATION is PLAYABLE.

We already suffer FPS problems on various maps as well as other problems.

The core game needs to be OPTIMIZED to its fullest potential before more stuff is added.

But KUDOS to Wargaming and the Map Developers for creating a new UNPLAYABLE map.

Not to mention it will have random spread out spawn point like Nation Park so that the

3 vs 3 pilots will have to spend 4 minutes flying to each other before heading to the center and engaging.

The GA will have plenty of time to smack down ground targets before getting attacked by a who knows what will show up.

I am sure this will be a superiority winning map.

ViolentAngel #15 Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 17 July 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

Yeah, no. It's clear that you do not understand this type of game development. Sorry about that.  I suppose you want the web development team to work on implementing clan wars too? Or, maybe getting their HTML 5.0 hands dirty with python and Scaleform?  The sound engineers, yeah, they should be fixing the CTD bugs, am I right? Maybe we should have the 3D artists do something other than model new planes... like, oh I don't know... rewrite the interface to the BigWorld engine!  Yeah, that would be great - what could possibly go wrong!!!

Best that you stick to discussing things you know.

-- William Blake

ViolentAngel #16 Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 17 July 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

I have to side with Dity on this.

Although Wargaming is a large company and perhaps has it own separate maps development division

with cross communication and shared information much like many large corporations.

Even our own CIA, FBI, NSA are required to share info across each division and work together to accomplish certain tasks.

Even Special Forces have now began working jointly thus the creation of  SOCOM in the late 1980's.

Development of a map for playability and efficient design will not work unless the BASIC and FOUNDATION is PLAYABLE.

We already suffer FPS problems on various maps as well as other problems.

The core game needs to be OPTIMIZED to its fullest potential before more stuff is added.

But KUDOS to Wargaming and the Map Developers for creating a new UNPLAYABLE map.

Not to mention it will have random spread out spawn point like Nation Park so that the

3 vs 3 pilots will have to spend 4 minutes flying to each other before heading to the center and engaging.

The GA will have plenty of time to smack down ground targets before getting attacked by a who knows what will show up.

I am sure this will be a superiority winning map.

Seriously?  Hmmm, let's see... where to start...

To create a new map for a game like this takes ZERO coding away from bug fixes and new features.

If you liked the old Natty Park, and this map is described to be very much like the old Natty Park... well, I don't know what to say... there is no way to make you happy 70 degrees is both too hot and too cold.

Optimization - okay, so this is something that would be useful. But, what we do not know - being the consumers and not the developers - is where the optimization problem exists. It could be in the art assets, it could be in the game mechanics (the game's code base), it could be in the BigWorld engine, it could be in the server communications. It's a big assumption to make to say that the team designing and developing NEW CONTENT has any control over these issues.  IF they do, then we can agree on that point, but that is speculation only.

-- William Blake

SystemRename336 #17 Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9 battles
[content moderated - inappropriate video]
~PrimordialSlime

dityboycom #18 Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostJekyll_n_Hyde, on 17 July 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

Yeah, no. It's clear that you do not understand this type of game development. Sorry about that.  I suppose you want the web development team to work on implementing clan wars too? Or, maybe getting their HTML 5.0 hands dirty with python and Scaleform?  The sound engineers, yeah, they should be fixing the CTD bugs, am I right? Maybe we should have the 3D artists do something other than model new planes... like, oh I don't know... rewrite the interface to the BigWorld engine!  Yeah, that would be great - what could possibly go wrong!!!

Best that you stick to discussing things you know.

Yeah, you seem to be under the impression this company has dedicated staff to each one of those roles for this game. If you were not aware this game is on life support from Tanks. The web development team itself is not dedicated to planes, and sound engineers had nothing to do with this map other than providing some prerecorded sound clips. If you want to keep making excuses for the company go for it. I for one ran out of those 6 months ago, and will no longer sit around here and pretend like there is an excuse for their blatant disrespect and disregard for the planes community as a whole, to include NA.

View PostJekyll_n_Hyde, on 17 July 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Seriously?  Hmmm, let's see... where to start...

To create a new map for a game like this takes ZERO coding away from bug fixes and new features.

If you liked the old Natty Park, and this map is described to be very much like the old Natty Park... well, I don't know what to say... there is no way to make you happy 70 degrees is both too hot and too cold.

Optimization - okay, so this is something that would be useful. But, what we do not know - being the consumers and not the developers - is where the optimization problem exists. It could be in the art assets, it could be in the game mechanics (the game's code base), it could be in the BigWorld engine, it could be in the server communications. It's a big assumption to make to say that the team designing and developing NEW CONTENT has any control over these issues.  IF they do, then we can agree on that point, but that is speculation only.

This digs into my previous comment, keep making excuses for them.

I am not aware how video game development works, obviously I'm not a video game developer. I do know, that public perception is everything. When y ou continue to put out things completely unrelated to what your customer base is requesting and make no mention of the problems that are constantly complained about other than "Fix is coming soon." It looks like you're neglecting the community. I don't care if the map department team is completely dedicated to doing just maps and all their functionality, and has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Do not put out content no one cares about or desires when you have a gigantic gap in content and resolutions your customers are asking for.

To the world it looks like they dont' care and they will never care. To  you, it looks like an awesome new map and you're thankful for anything this company gives you! "Please sir! May I have another!?" Sound familiar?

gtfo here defending something well known to be garbage.

dityboycom #19 Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

This page to this point.

http://web.archive.o...og-dam-new-map/

Thanks for the new map!

ViolentAngel #20 Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Let's recap:

New map - 1.8.3 = new content

New skins - summer release, probably 1.8.3 = new content

New planes - autumn release, probably 1.9 = new content

Modification to critical damage - probably 1.9 = address player concern about "dumbing game down"

Bots in SB (touchy subject, but HEAR ME OUT) - probably 1.9 = address player concern about long queue times, unfilled matches, unbalanced matches

CSP - 1.9 = address player concern about broken mechanics

Clan Wars - rumored to be released sometime by end of the year = what the most vocal and ravenous of you seem to only care about (as if that would fix the game...)

To any and all of you that say "there is no communication", "they don't tell us what they are working on", "the game is dead", "they don't listen to the players", "they don't care about NA", "Wha, wha, wha", and on and on and on and agonizingly on about this...

Just go away. Please, for the love of all things holy, shut your pie hole and move on.

-- William Blake

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users