Must have combat tactics guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Kyodos #1 Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I was surfing through the forum and noticed how much attention people are putting on the release date for World of Warplanes, I have decided to spend some of my time creating a wonderful combat flight tactics guide

for when the time actually comes. The sole purpose for this guide is to make sure our community starts off sharp and knows what they will be facing. I hope you find some of my information attractive and

pass this information on, although it is still a work in progress, I will try to expand the list every week but for now: ¨I am glad to be of service¨

-Enjoy- :Smile_honoring:Email me

What man is a man that does not make the world better...

... and if God does not love you, how could you have done the things you have done?

*NOTE* I am having difficulties placing the image pack on the right place therefore I placed them below. To make your existence easier I placed the images exactly as the Index follows

so you wont have any trouble confusing the combat tactics.

-Index-

1. Immelman        

2. Split-S          

3. Pitchback          

4. High Yo-yo      

5. Low Yo-yo      

6. Aileron Roll

7. Barrel Roll

8. Flat Turn

9. Chandelle

10. Derry Turn    

1. Immelman

The Immelmann turn refers to two quite differentaircraft maneuvers.

The maneuver nowadays usually called an"Immelmann" has, in fact, no connection with the World War I Germanflying Ace Max Immelmann.

Similar to a 'Split-S' manuver (reverse of).

This tactic is used a lot in face to face combat, the pilot has to gather enough speed in order to create a loop and turn upside down.

advantages: theadvantage to this tactic is that the boogie infront will now be below you  at about 200-400m depending on how long yourloop was. If the boogie is too trust himself to try and reach you, there is analtitude advantage that you can use to easily overturn the enemy and catch yourfirst prey J.

2. Split-S

TheSplit S is an air combat maneuver mostly used to disengage from combat. Toexecute a Split S, the pilot half-rolls his aircraft inverted and executes adescending half-loop, resulting in level flight in the exact opposite directionat a lower altitude.

This maneuver isused all throughout every single existing comat flight simulator, this isconsidered one of the most important flight maneuvers in order to catch yourprey. When in high altitude you manage to spot a boogey at (X) altitude belowyou, head straight and turn then dive, this helps to decrease your speedinstead of going on a dive which will only increase your speed and cause stallwhich will cause you to loose control of your aircraft and even turn the fightagainst you.

advantage: easyto say that even if the boogey spots you, there will be a very short distancebetween the two of you and he will be flying for his life while you eat him outpiece by piece.

3. Pitchback

You're attacking your opponent head-on with at least 500 knots ofairspeed. you're maneuvering in the vertical plane while your opponent is in aflat turn.

On this image you are the plane heading upwards (vertical) and youropponent is making a flat turn. The way this works is; you are head on withyour opponent and instead of making a simple turn like the Immelman above, you head upwards then start making your way to the side your opponentmade the turn. Slowly begin to dive your aircraft (still tilted) and then findyour opponent.

*Note for this you have to keep track of both your flight direction andyour camera angles, not all boogeys will make the same mistake twice.

4. High Yo-yo

Ahigh yo-yo is a done by going into a climbing turn. At about the 90 degreepoint of your turn, you roll partially inverted and finish the turn diving backto your original altitude. It is used to convert speed into altitude during theinitial part of the turn with the lower speed allowing you to make a tighterturn. Near the apex of your turn, you then convert the altitude you gained backinto speed by going back down to your initial altitude

For this tactic you have to use everything you have learned, you need towork your throttle, your ailerons, your flaps, and your enemy J.

Imagine you are the attacker, a lot of times we come face to face withan enemy that likes to spin the wheel, what I mean by this is that they like togo in circles thinking somehow they are going to out turn you for some reason.In a case like that here is what you do. It is similar to the Flat turnhowever, you do not flip your aircraft the second youclimb, instead what you do is you climb on the direction your enemy isgoing then you decrease the speed of your aircraft and make a hard turn usingyour flaps and ailerons flipping your aircraft causing you to end up on yourenemies six*.

5. Low Yo-yo

You're in a hard-turning, low-speed fight. You're too close forshort-range missiles but you can't out-turn the enemy to line up for a gunshot.

You are the grey trajectory, when you are once again on a turn fight andyou just want to kill him so bad but you do not have a clean shot, what youwant to do is let your upper wing come over and begin an inverted dive, rollout in the opposite direction and pull the nose up. Keep repeating the processuntil you pull behind the enemy and an line up for the shot.

*Note, this tactic is not recommended for lowaltitude rumble you may crash land or even land on the sea, who knowswhat you will get so try to stay up there.

6. Aileron Roll

full 360° revolution about its longitudinalaxis. When executed properly, there is no appreciable change in altitude andthe aircraft exits the maneuver on the same heading as it entered.

Okay first off this tactic is very differentfrom a barrel roll please do not get confused between the two, it couldcost you a life J. This tactic is a nobrainer you simply stay on the same altitude (if executed properly) and you endup right where you began.

adcantages: the uniqueness of this tactic is to simply dodge bullets!!,it can help kill the shot your enemy has on you at the time and frustrationkicks in. This can be done as many times as you want and it helps until youplan out a better tactic to get out of that awckward situation.

7. Barrel roll

complete rotation on its longitudinal axiswhile following a helical path, approximatelymaintaining its original direction.

The barrel roll is just another way to surpass your opponent in his owngame. If you have the enemy on your six* and you pull a barrel roll whiledecreasing your throttle, you can repeat the action until your enemy passes youenough for you to create a new strategy like applying a Low Yo-yo for example.

8. Flat Turn

When you start your turn, it is likely that you arefaster than your sustained turning speed. Pulling back on the stick causes youto pull "G's", which means more force than the normal 1 atmosphere ofgravity. Pulling G's causes your plane to lose energy (E) or specifically toslow down.

Making a Flat Turn can be risky for anyone but it gets you out of tightspots until backup arrives. This tactic is used commonly when you have an enemyon your back, making time for allies to join the fight however, the more turnsyou make the slower you will go and the more altitude you will loose. At thesame time your allies help you with the enemy so can the enemies allies so,think twice before participating in a tactic like this one.

9. Chandelle

The chandelle looks easy at first, and it is, but it'salso a precise maneuver. Not all aerobatics are hard, severe, turning moves.Some are gentle but precise.

It is a very gentle tactic that requires near perfection, this tacticrequires patience even though it looks simple (which is is). Chandelle is atactic where you have to maintain a constant altitude and slightly dive to pickup speed, then lift your joystick and make a gentle* turn to end up above yourcurrent altitude.

10. Derry Turn

Thiscounter-intuitive manoeuvre has been used in online air combat as a low levelevasive tactic with some success, any unwary attacker attempting to follow theprocedure often losing their bearings and flying into the ground.

Derry Turn is a more advanced tactic that requires fast reflexes and alot of control over your aircraft. If you are yet to awknowledge informationabout the aircraft you are piloting you should try a few practice runs beforeattempting.

This tactic is used to make hard turns, as you can view on the image youpick to go on either direction and make a slightAileron Roll, while doing so you have to cut back on your throttle anduse the power of flaps to make the nearly 180° degree turn towards your target.

Attached Files

¨What man is a man that does not make the world better
...... and if God does not love you, how could you have done the things you have done¨

dockev1 #2 Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
This is interesting

Kyodos #3 Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postdockev1, on 13 April 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

This is interesting

glad you like it, if you have any suggestions or ideas feel free :)

...... and if God does not love you, how could you have done the things you have done¨

RedBaron82 #4 Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
Thanks for taking the time to write about the different maneuvers :)

I'm sure that a lot of people will like reading about them.

RedBaron82 #5 Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I know that the tatics below are from WW1.
But I thought since the topic was about aerial
tatics, why not talk about them :)

Oswald Boelcke's list of tactics

1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you
2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it
7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Great thread, I enjoyed reading about the different tactics   :)
     +1

Kyodos #6 Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
:Smile_honoring:  I appreciate you taking your time to take a look at what I had to offer this great community, I also appreciate the fact that you took the time to add some important
hints for players to take part of.

There will be more information regarding tactics so stay tuned :)

What man is a man that does not make the world better

..... and if God does not love you, how could you have done the things you have done.

KamikazeHunter #7 Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

I'm a Fighter Pilot

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
In addition to these listed maneuvers (and this comprehensive thread), here's some other "must have" tactics that work great - some work only with a wingman. Also, a gentleman named Johan Kylander wrote a piece titled In Pursuit: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat (Click the underlined part!). My long time buddy Angriff (no relation to Angriff from WWIIOL) sent this in .pdf form to me as a bit of "light" reading. It's worth the time to read and it covers every maneuver listed previously and soon... however, below is an abridged version with various ACM that I think are very worth while... plus a tidbit with two maneuvers I love to execute in the skies.

"Dog-fighting" is a slight illusion in the world of aerial combat. The greatest Aces of the Second World War had a particular opinion on dogfighting: don't. Now, I do not mean they never shot at the enemy nor did they run away and avoid a fighter (per se'). Rather, they fought to their advantage; they fought smart. Altitude, speed, and positioning are your greatest assets in the skies - they are your goals: You want to be fast, you want to be high, and you want the right position. Your fellow pilots and your plane are your tools to achieve those goals. In other words, fight the enemy on your terms - do not engage in a fight that will cost you an advantage; Maneuver your plane  to break the enemy's advantages. These are such maneuvers to either turn a situation around, flee, or prevent a good position from turning into a bad position. So, I present to you maneuvers that will help you do just that.

note: All underlined sections have appropriate web pages for further reading. I'm rewording because I'm not THAT lazy.  :Smile_teethhappy:

1. "Drag and Bag"

Like the Thach Weave, this is used best in a 2v1 situation where the hostile aircraft is saddled in behind your buddy for a killshot. This maneuver utilizes speed and the opponent's own target fixation to eliminate him. The defensive fighter uses his speed, generally obtained through a shallow dive, to gain distance on his opponent; Should the opponent follow, he is now being taken away from the fight while the third fighter moves in behind for a killshot to clear his friend who is dragging. Easy enough to explain I'd wager.  :Smile_teethhappy: It's simple enough to execute - just call out the hostile on your friend's six and he can drag the sucker away to be killed. The maneuver is not effective if the defensive fighter is slower than his opponent who's chasing him down. Faster planes like Bf 109s can use this maneuver against underpowered planes like the Spitfire Mk Is and IIs - be warned because the Mk Vs have more powerful engines. They can tango with that dive and speed chase. I recommend you upgrade to something like a Fw 190 or an Me 262 if you're up against a newer model (fear the Merlin engines!) Remember: use your speed to keep your foe further behind you - if he stays greedy, then your wingman will kill him.

2. Thach Weave

The Thach Weave is executed by a pilot who has an enemy on his six; This is used primarily in a 2v1 scenario, but in a heated dogfight this can still be used so long as there is a pilot capable of going into an offensive situation. The wingman starts positioned off to the side of the airplane targeted by a hostile. Ideally, both pilots are at the same altitude with the same heading and speed at the start of the maneuver. The point of the maneuver is to have the two aircraft cross paths, allowing the wingman to either get a deflection shot on his opponent or saddle in behind the enemy for a killshot. This is an effective way to clear enemy aircraft following your buddy. The core element of this maneuver is the turns that overlap flight paths, but in order to effectively set up the move, the pilot that is "dragging" his foe will accelerate enough to reach the intersecting points first.

Posted Image

So, as the two friendly aircraft cross paths, the enemy aircraft is highly vulnerable to attack from the wingman.

3. Stall Turn aka "Hammerhead"

This is a risky maneuver, but the payout can be very large. A defensive fighter can attempt to out climb a trailing foe, causing the attacker to stall out first. You're gambling when you do this, because you have to hope he'll stall first - if he doesn't, well then he'll probably kill you and you'll feel like an idiot. However, the risk can outweigh the reward depending on how target fixed your opponent is and how much of a speed (and climbing) advantage you have over him. Also, it doesn't hurt if he's a bad shot. To execute the Hammerhead, point your nose into a vertical, 90° climb as if you were trying to fly into space. Try to keep your opponent in view and as he stalls out, turn your plane with a hard rudder kick (yaw) 180° so you're now positioned to dive down upon your helpless foe who is trying to recover from his stall. To effectively execute this part of the move, kick your rudder to the same side where airflow has been most disrupted (that's a stall - disruption of airflow over a wing); That wing will "dip out" first and will further your ability to pull that 180° turn you want. Generally you want the opponent to have a mismatched aircraft; situations like a Fw-190 vs a P-40 are great to perform this because a P-40 is so heavy it climbs like a brick.

http://www.flightsim...om/jfs/85-1.jpg

Once you're above your opponent - take him out. If you did your math right and anticipated he'll stall before you, he'll feel pretty dead. And you'll get beer from me!  :Smile_teethhappy:

4. The Scissors
4a. "Flat Scissors"

This two parter details a very disorientating, but effective maneuver designed to turn a defensive fighter into the attacker. If you spot a faster opponent moving in on your six (particularly off of your 4-5 or 7-8 O'Clock), you can attempt a Scissors. The best way to start this maneuver is to turn your plane towards your attacker, which increases his angle off tail - a sharper angle off tail reduces his ability to shoot you because it helps close distance between planes faster. If you time this for when he's closer to you, he'll have to turn back around to get a shot on you. This can force the Scissors. Your objective is to roll your fighter back into your enemy then pull back on the stick, turning back into him which both ruins his shot and often causes him to overshoot your plane. Accomplishing this objective will force your enemy to overshoot more often than not because his reaction time is slower and he's going faster than you. For extended scissors engagements, this maneuver is best performed with a plane that has a very high roll rate, such as the FW 190 series of fighters. As you roll back and forth on your terms, using the knowledge that YOU know what you want to do, you can turn the tables on your foe.

Posted Image

Take note that attacking your opponent will happen during split second "snap-shots" you'll have to take. Likewise, he can do the same to you if he compensates for and predicts your maneuvers effectively enough. One way this fight can end is in a stall should you both slow down. Be careful!  :Smile_teethhappy:

4b. "Rolling Scissors"

Ahhh this baby is the vertical version of the flat scissors. The principle is the same, only you take the fight where you have an advantage - your powerful engine. This especially works in the context of the F4 Phantom II vs the Mig-21 "Fishbed." The Mig is a nimble dancer, and I would NEVER fight her in a Scissors - she's smaller, more elegant, and she doesn't fly like a brick with two rockets on it (that'll be the Phantom II). But, The Mig can't climb like a Phantom. So, in a Rolling Scissors, point your nose to the sky and apply the scissors principles to a vertical fight. Keep rolling back in on your opponent and you'll get him - effectively this employs stall characteristic into the fight, because if you point your nose to the sky and he stalls out, you can then hammerhead him to end the engagement.

Posted Image

5. Double Split-S

This is a Split-S, but you do it twice. Why twice? If you can afford the altitude loss for a speed gain and a disorienting maneuver, this is a toy you'll love. Most opponents never expect it and they have a hard enough time following a Split-S, so doing two is just an added bonus to escape your foe. Plus, it puts you back on your original heading which is great if that's where you really need to go.

Posted Image

6. Lag Pursuit Roll aka "Lag Roll"

This is a maneuver used by an offensive fighter designed to prevent overshoot when your target turns (hard) into a new heading. The maneuver works by entering a shallow climb while rolling your plane to the outside of the enemy fighter's turn, then rolling back around to re-engage your opponent thus avoiding an overshoot. It's simple and effective. You'll keep your foe on the defensive.

Posted Image

7. Spiral Climb

This maneuver simply uses a climbing advantage, particularly when you're slightly faster than your opponent, to climb above your opponent. This is a defensive maneuver, but it eliminates the enemy's ability to shoot at you because he just can't climb with you. This requires you know your enemy's speed and plane very well - if he's got a plane that can hang with you, then you have problems. Stay in a wider turn than him so you don't burn as much energy (E) by constantly pulling your plane into a tighter turn. This will also make him greedily think he can stay with you. The ideal way to end this engagement is with a hammerhead on your opponent as he stalls out beneath you.

That's more or less the official stuff, and here's two moves I like doing because it's a random factor. I'm a HUGE believer in chaos.

8. Split-S: "Top Gun" style!

This is literally just a Split-S, but as you finish your Split-S you throttle down, yank back on the stick, and drop flaps (if applicable or needed). It's VERY dangerous and a smart opponent who's trying to follow you can just loop back around and kill you, but if it works he'll overshoot you and be right in front of you for a snapshot. At which point you can throttle back up and dive after him or split-S the other way to disengage. It's high-risk, high-reward. This can also work on a double Split-S.

9. "Hitting the Brakes" - more or less a "Pugachev's Cobra"

Cut your throttle, drop flaps (if need be), and yank back on the stick. Any hostile close behind you will overshoot. It's fairly disorientating if done fast enough.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Posted Image

Gentlemen, sorry for the long post, but hey it's more reading material - even if it's been mentioned a bit before. I feel the need. The need - for speed!  :Smile_teethhappy: Check out the spoiler for some fun!

Spoiler                     

Callsign: "Kami232," member of Jagdgeschwader 51 "Mölders," 6.Staffel -- from WWII Online: Battleground Europe.
Carthago delanda est
Specs:
Spoiler

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 bit)
AMD Phenom II x3 720 Processor @2.80GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6800
8GB RAM (brand N/A)
Acer X223W Monitor (Analog)
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
Logitech MX 400 Performance Laser Mouse[/spoiler]

expam #8 Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
How to download this game any body help me plzzz

RedBaron82 #9 Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postexpam, on 15 April 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

How to download this game any body help me plzzz

If you're talking about this game , you currently have to be accepted as a tester.

Once you're a tester , you get an email telling you have been accepted.

Then you download the game and play , while reporting problems to the developers.

And to be accepted , it's by the luck of the draw. Some wait a few weeks , others can wait more than a month.

HTRK74JR #10 Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Someone insults me again, they will not fear death.

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
yo mods, can we get this switched to the air combat tactics? great job, but there are similar ones to this.

Kyodos #11 Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the feedback KamikazeHunter, I appreciate the content you placed on my topic. Now people can really get a headstart on maneuvers and begin concentrating for when the time comes.

Still if there is anything else anyone else wants to contribute feel free.

Angriff14 #12 Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Great video showing some awesome use of rudder to get guns on, as well as some really well done flat scissors.

Rolling scissors video

Kyodos #13 Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Have to love the technology, people would have only dreamed of playing a simulator at home :) awesome vids thanks for the add

Kyodos #14 Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
If anyone else has ideas or information they would like to implement, feel free to do so gentlemen. This is so everyone enjoys the wonderful idea of sharing tactics and vital information to keep you and your wingman sky high

Heh #15 Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Personally, there's no such thing as "tricks" in an aircraft imo. It's all mind and creativity.

And I shall not mention my famous yaw-turn techniques that increase my- OH GOD I DID D:

View PostKamikazeHunter, on 15 April 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

9. "Hitting the Brakes" - more or less a "Pugachev's Cobra"

Cut your throttle, drop flaps (if need be), and yank back on the stick. Any hostile close behind you will overshoot. It's fairly disorientating if done fast enough.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Posted Image

That trick will NEVER work in WoWP. NEVER. The Cobra needs us to have the ability to turn off our engines, and only planes such as the F22 Raptor, F-15 ACTIVE and modern SU series can do that w/o damaging the airframe too much due to heavy drag. And it requires JET PLANES, and most of the planes here are PROPELLER-POWERED.

Seriously, some of the tricks need heavy examination before being talked about. :V

Edit: Ok, perhaps any sort of supermaneuverability discussion here should be considered in a drink thread. Really, only 4th gen aircraft could do it.

Edited by Heh, 26 May 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

KamikazeHunter #16 Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm a Fighter Pilot

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostHeh, on 26 May 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Personally, there's no such thing as "tricks" in an aircraft imo. It's all mind and creativity.

/cough - uhm... ok.... sure. 'cause being creative can't involve tricking other pilots... hell all kinds of warfare involves tricking the other side... air combat included.

That trick will NEVER work in WoWP. NEVER. The Cobra needs us to have the ability to turn off our engines, and only planes such as the F22 Raptor, F-15 ACTIVE and modern SU series can do that w/o damaging the airframe too much due to heavy drag. And it requires JET PLANES, and most of the planes here are PROPELLER-POWERED.

How do you know it won't? - Sure, maybe not the exact maneuver, but I bet you a pilot could pull off something damned close to it. And we're talking about a game here that hasn't stated anything about airframe damage from your own maneuvers in any of the dev releases I've seen (look mate, this isn't IL-2 from any accounts I've read, but if you want to actually show it is, go for it). And if you really want to get technical, then perhaps just the high tier jet aircraft could try it, but who cares if you're a jet engine or a propeller fighter? - it's a game.

Seriously, some of the tricks need heavy examination before being talked about. :V

And finally, who said I was actually ever encouraging it be done in this game? The thread is solely for the existence of revealing ACM and showing the masses various maneuvers - it's their call which ones they actually want to do in the game, even if the exact ones can't be done (again, the high tiers could try it, but who's to say the low tiers can't have fun?) Seems like some people need to not be so critical and judgemental...

Callsign: "Kami232," member of Jagdgeschwader 51 "Mölders," 6.Staffel -- from WWII Online: Battleground Europe.
Carthago delanda est
Specs:
Spoiler

AMD Radeon HD 6800
8GB RAM (brand N/A)

Kyodos #17 Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Exactly how Kamikaze explained, its all about working your way through the enemies mind, think how he is going to react and be a step ahead of his game. IMO tricks is the way to go in Aerial Combat, your cobra maneuver is yet even more ficticional than the tactics I present since it is difficult to work that in wwII aircrafts.

Now, I am not saying it is impossible but it is something a really good pilot should worry about

spittoon #18 Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
is anybody else as concerned and shocked as i am, that poor Max gets no credit for this?

The maneuver nowadays usually called an"Immelmann" has, in fact, no connection with the World War I Germanflying Ace Max Immelmann.

it sure SEEMS like it should be connected with him...  about the right era, and for goodness sake, he WAS an ace!

who else could possibly be taking the credit for this?

just think of the 'royalties and residuals' that he and his family have been denied...   hey, the action figure money alone would have put all of his kids through beer-making college!

seriously, you have created an excellent tactics and strategy guide.    i'm starting to recognize the types of maneuvers that other pilots use to kill me now!

i am not a teenager, but i play one on the internet

honoring all those who fought, and especially all those who fell

KamikazeHunter #19 Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm a Fighter Pilot

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Aye, Kyodos. If I actually thought I could do the Cobra in a P-40, then I'd tell all pilots to do it, but it's just not practical considering much of the theory and practice involved in a Cobra - a Split-S or a scissors would suffice much better for a P-40; but, knowing all your fighter can do, can't do, and  then  some is always a benefit because if you can get your enemy off your six or position yourself to kill your enemy, then you've won a victory in that fact alone. Half of war isn't physically fought, it's mental... and half is probably on the low side of things. Don't limit yourself simply 'cause "Pugachev Cobras are done with modern fighters." P-40s, FWs, 109s, Spitfires, and the works can do something very similar - cut throttle, drop flaps, yank the stick back hard - then drop your nose, throttle up, raise your flaps, and bam.. your position is turned since your enemy didn't expect the move, and now he has overshot your fighter. That's ostensibly a Cobra, just not the hyper advanced version advocated by the textbook name.

In other words, I'm explaining what a Cobra is so you have more variables and doors opened for you. Don't ever get predictable when you fight; being predictable is dangerous because then your enemy knows what to expect. I've watched many skilled pilots in other flight sims overshoot me 'cause I randomly cut power and speed enough to force an overshoot, then the positions are reversed and I'm the hunter. It's the belief in the X-factor, the random chance, the improbable and the risky I advocate. And I support it particularly because this is a game we're talking about. In the real world I'd emphasize you know what your fighter could actually do before you go off risking multi-millions of military funding.

Edited by KamikazeHunter, 30 May 2012 - 03:15 AM.

Carthago delanda est
Specs:
Spoiler

AMD Radeon HD 6800
8GB RAM (brand N/A)

Kyodos #20 Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Indeed you are correct, a lot of the fighting is mental, it is that tiny factor that can change the course of battle and that gets you the victory. Keep posting useful stuff, ideas,comments onto this thread thanks for the feedback.