Stuka Ju.87 Premium Aircraft

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 785 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

There was quite a stir over the Ju.87B-D bomb-carrying versions of the Stuka not being included in the German attacker lineup when 1.7 was released.  That has died down now somewhat, but I think that they are aircraft that would be well received if implemented correctly.

I think that a bomb carrying Stuka would best be introduced as a premium aircraft as it would be quite a different animal from its brethren in the rest of the lineup; rather than relying upon heavy gun weaponry to eliminate ground targets the Stukas prior to the Ju.87G model relied on accurate bombing runs on targets below; something that most of the German attackers in game now use as a secondary role while some carry no bombs at all.

The Stuka models B and C carried only a pair of 7.92mm MGs fixed firing forward and a single 7.92mm MG for the tailgunner while carrying a heavy bomb load.  The aircraft is agile but slow.  This sounds to me like the Stuka divebomber playstyle would be quite similar to the Australian Wirraway we have in game now.  Basically, the bomber drops its bombs on the best target available as soon as it can and then joins the aerial fight as an auxiliary fighter.

The Stuka model B could be a tier III premium aicraft and could carry the Trumpet of Jericho wailing dive siren; a request that I have seen in almost every thread asking for bomb-carrying Stukas.

The Stuka model D could be a tier IV premium aircraft using the stock configuration of the tier V Ju.87G, which is actually a Ju.87D.  All that needs be done is the addition of bomb mounts beneath the wings and under the fuselage.  Like the B before it, the D would be like a tier IV Wirraway, but would carry a bit of a punch with its forward firing 20mm cannons.

Sound workable?  :great:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #2 Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20 battles

I like it! Question, would you rather have some of the Ju 87s and the Ju 88's and 188's be tech tree planes, or would you rather have a few of the better, more well known ones be premium? I don't think you could get a full german divebomber line. So it would be between a fragmented real line or several premiums. Cause the Ju 88 and 188 could be divebombers too right? 

Anyways, I thought the Wirraway was kind of a test for DBs. It seems like players like the concept though. I would play the planes you described above too. They would be fun IMO. The best full out line to fit that style IMO would be the Douglas DB line, which would be a really neat addition. The IJN line only goes to tier VII or VIII at most and would be more agile than the current IJN planes. It'd be a weird line. 

"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???

SparkyGT #3 Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 34 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
Sounds good, would be nice to have the option of having it with bombs

STUKA =needs a variant with bombs

BrushWolf #4 Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
I like your thoughts Magus although the bomb carrying Stuka should be an airframe option within the current one in the game.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

theponja #5 Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 293 battles

+100

I totally agree with you. I posted a very similar idea on my old post about the Stuka and Jericho Sirens.

I'd pay just to have the option to dive and hear the Sirens. I don't care if later I'm a kind of sitting duck on the air. 

_Warchylde_ #6 Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Excellent idea.

I could definitely see this being workable, since the Stuka's predecessor was another German dive-bomber that we all know and love, our very own Ha-137.

If you can make the BeeVee work, then you could definitely make a Ju-87 B workable in the same tier.  The Stuka would be a little lighter in firepower (lacking the BeeVee's 20 mms), but with the addition of a tailgunner, and it could carry an SC 100 centerline in addition to the wing mounted SC 50's like on the BeeVee.

Definitely sounds like a plan to me.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 17 April 2015 - 04:55 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Gang_Starr #7 Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Captain

• 2 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
as soon as i started reading i thought to myself "sounds like the wirraway to me" lol. I think we need some high tier GA premiums, currently we have none.

Tenks

GiN_nTonic #8 Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Captain

• 226 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostGang_Starr, on 17 April 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I think we need some high tier GA premiums, currently we have none.

100% agree^^^^

I actually thought (prior to release) the Stuka would have been across multiple tiers due to the fact its a "legecy" type plane ie 109/Spits/Zero/P-51/Corsair.....Although, i love all the German GAs we do have, so at this point adding a prem Ju87 would be very cool.

Quesnel #9 Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostGiNnTonic, on 17 April 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

I actually thought (prior to release) the Stuka would have been across multiple tiers due to the fact its a "legecy" type plane ie 109/Spits/Zero/P-51/Corsair.....Although, i love all the German GAs we do have, so at this point adding a prem Ju87 would be very cool.

I agree with this. I too, hoped the Stuka would have spanned through the tiers, much like GiN's examples. I would have reserved premium aircraft with those that had low production numbers, one-offs or completed prototypes (although, the "napkin designs" can fill the void, where one exists).

Take this example from the current German GA tree, swap the Fw 189 C to a premium and replace it with a Ju 87B. Introduce the line down at tier III with a Stuka A or combine it with the Stuka B as an upgrade. Bring the Ju-87C/Ju-87R in as a premium plane, to the most appropriate tier. I could go on and on, but just a few thoughts.

Noreaga #10 Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
great idea! we do need more premium Ga's nothing above tier 5! 

Nimis obnoxii curare

Quesnel #11 Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostNoreaga, on 17 April 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

great idea! we do need more premium Ga's nothing above tier 5! 

Yes, totally agree :great:

MagusGerhardt #12 Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 785 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 17 April 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

I agree with this. I too, hoped the Stuka would have spanned through the tiers, much like GiN's examples. I would have reserved premium aircraft with those that had low production numbers, one-offs or completed prototypes (although, the "napkin designs" can fill the void, where one exists).

Take this example from the current German GA tree, swap the Fw 189 C to a premium and replace it with a Ju 87B. Introduce the line down at tier III with a Stuka A or combine it with the Stuka B as an upgrade. Bring the Ju-87C/Ju-87R in as a premium plane, to the most appropriate tier. I could go on and on, but just a few thoughts.

I agree that the Eule should have been the tier IV premium for the line.  It could still happen.

But the Ju.87B would be terrible at tier IV.  It just doesn't mount the weapons necessary to be effective there.  The D model with the dual 20mms would be workable if and only if it came with bombs as well.

The Stuka B would be much better off at tier III; despite being used through the entirety of the war the early Stukas were a product of the early to mid 30s like the other interbellum oddball planes you find at tier III.  I would very much like a tier III Stuka to be a tech tree aircraft where you start off with the A and upgrade to the B.

I just don't think that WG will put the development time in needed to extend the tech branch down to tier II where it should begin.

Premiums, however, as stand alone items, would be much more workable.  They already have a Stuka model in the game; it would just take some retooling to give it the appearance of the much earlier models.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Quesnel #13 Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 April 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

But the Ju.87B would be terrible at tier IV.  It just doesn't mount the weapons necessary to be effective there.  The D model with the dual 20mms would be workable if and only if it came with bombs as well.

The Stuka B would be much better off at tier III; despite being used through the entirety of the war the early Stukas were a product of the early to mid 30s like the other interbellum oddball planes you find at tier III.  I would very much like a tier III Stuka to be a tech tree aircraft where you start off with the A and upgrade to the B.

After some consideration of your logic, I agree with this reasoning.

MagusGerhardt #14 Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 785 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCarl_the_Cuttlefish, on 17 April 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Anyways, I thought the Wirraway was kind of a test for DBs. It seems like players like the concept though. I would play the planes you described above too. They would be fun IMO. The best full out line to fit that style IMO would be the Douglas DB line, which would be a really neat addition. The IJN line only goes to tier VII or VIII at most and would be more agile than the current IJN planes. It'd be a weird line. 

You make a great point here, Carl.  The Wirraway testbed does kind of pave the way for portions of an American attacker line consisting of a mixture of dive bombers, level bombers and dedicated attack aircraft similar to the ILs and Germans we have now.  The Douglas dive bombers would be more like the Wirraway and early Junkers Stukas, with hefty bombloads, defensive gunners and light frontal armament as a tradeoff for good maneuvering.  Add in a few level bombers (repurposed from torpedo bombing) like the TBD Devastator and Avenger then throw in aircraft like the attack variant of the Republic Thunderbolt and the Douglas Skyraider and you have a tech line that would be as complete as the current German one found in game in 1.7.

View PostCarl_the_Cuttlefish, on 17 April 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

I like it! Question, would you rather have some of the Ju 87s and the Ju 88's and 188's be tech tree planes, or would you rather have a few of the better, more well known ones be premium? I don't think you could get a full german divebomber line. So it would be between a fragmented real line or several premiums. Cause the Ju 88 and 188 could be divebombers too right? 

The Dive bombing and level bombing variants of the Junkers Ju.88 and Ju.188 woudln't work here as their defensive armament is quite robust, offering all-around protection both above and below the aircraft and there are no guns fixed to fire forward on either design.  The developers have stated that aircraft without a fixed forward armament will not be seen as player-controlled aircraft in World of Warplanes.  I agree with them.  Imagine an aircraft with a gunner who has all skills maxed out blanketing a combat area with 100% accurate and highly damaging gunfire.  It would not be a fun plane to fight, and after the novelty wore off it would not be a fun plane to fly.

HoH_Wolfblitz #15 Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10 battles

View PostGang_Starr, on 17 April 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I think we need some high tier GA premiums, currently we have none.

Noooo! No more high tier GA! Please! I beg of you! No more!

Also tagged with Stuka, Ju.87, Premium Aircraft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users