dity's Ground Attack Aircraft living guide

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

dityboycom #1 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

Well, until I stop playing that is.

At the bottom we will find some immediate Q&A's and I am open to answer further questions in this thread as well. Those that seem to be repetitive (like these have been in my experience) I will put in this post, or one of the post below at the top. General reference if you don't use Metric but you use Imperial, 1 meter = ~3 feet. I.E. If I say the range of an IL40's weapon is 1000 meters, that means ~3000 feet. This guide also assumes you know the general basic controls for your aircraft(W,A,S,D,E,F,Q), ordnance(R/B/Space), and strafe mode.(Shift)

Introduction:

So you want to be a Ground Attack Aircraft (GAA) pilot you say. Well where do you begin? Realistically it will depend on what it is you desire to do most. Ask yourself, Do I want to dominate the supremacy game? Or, Do I want to hunt other GAA? After you answer this question move forward to your check list to give you the right answer.

Russian GAA line strengths:

• Destruction of Ground Target(GT)
  • Stealth
  • Survivability
  • Configuration personalization
  • Utility

German GAA line Strengths:

• Speed
  • Altitude
  • Maneuverability
  • Air to Air(A2A) combat

These strengths are carried out across the majority of each individual line, but in general when you get to T7 + is when these take most effect. At lower tiers T6 and below, depending on individual plane choice as you progress or if it is a premium their strengths may waiver. Use the above list as a general guideline and not a end all for both lines.

General GAA guidelines:

• Educate yourself on the supremacy system.The main objective of your aircraft is to manipulate the supremacy in favor of your team. Without understanding the basics of how the current supremacy system works, you are not prepared to fly your plane. This becomes increasingly important as you move up the tiers.

• Always bring all of your ordnance, it is not too expensive to drop if stuck in a desperate situation. Without your ordnance you put yourself in a bind strategically if Match Maker(MM) does not give you the lineup you were expecting with your customized load out

• More ordnance is better than bigger ordnance. If you have the choice between 8 rockets that do a combined total of 15000 damage or 12 rockets that do a combined total of 14000 damage, you want the 12 rockets. Why? Your plane is equipped with massive cannons. Unless you are a genius you do not know exactly how much damage you did to what module on your target. Allowing you to precisely dedicate the burst damage from ordnance will assist you in having enough ordnance to have the strategic advantage by not wasting a 1500 damage rocket or bomb on a target with 1000 health remaining.

• Always attack Anti Aircraft (AA) or Anti Aircraft Artillery(AAA) first. Unless you are 100% confident you will destroy your target on the first pass (Generally ships) you need to clear the immediate area of all AA or AAA before you find yourself overwhelmed and at half health. This also has the advantage of assisting your teammates in defending you be it you find yourself in the sights of the enemy.

• If you are up by supremacy and you are the last one alive, hide. Until you become an advanced pilot, knowledgeable of most potential threats, and aware of how to maneuver your plane in the most survivable manner possible. Do your teammates a favor and reward them and yourself for the hard work put forward by all parties involved. Every time you attack a GT you give away your position to the enemy forces. Remember, GAA have increased camouflage perks below 100 meters, and even higher perks below 50 meters.

• Do not dump ordnance on yellow targets. There are massive cannons on the front of your aircraft, there is no reason for you to be firing a rocket, or dropping a bomb on a target full of yellow soft targets only. The only exception is if you are dumping your ordnance to gain a defensive or offensive advantage over an adversary in the immediate area. In this situation you will want to dump your ordnance on to any near by targets worth supremacy if available.

• Ordnance weighs you down. If you are being chased by 3 planes, you have 10 rockets on your aircraft, and you are the last man standing. Tap that "R" button 10 times, this will significantly increase the maneuverability and speed of your aircraft; thus, giving you the ability to evade enemy attacks with more precision. The same is said if you find yourself in a stalemate with an opposing GAA, dump ordnance until you gain the advantage. You will do more damage to GT's being alive than you will dead, if dead all that saved ordnance won't matter.

• Do not be in a rush. The GT's are not going anywhere. If you are in a fairly large game, don't be the first GAA to hit a ground target. This is not strategically sound as it immediately gives away your position and your teams direction to an otherwise uneducated enemy who is actively searching for your team. It also makes you an immediate threat to the opposing teams low altitude interceptors. No one wants to be the first one intercepted.

• Avoid the ground and the targets. Survival is paramount over destruction of GT's. If the ground target has 100 hp left, and you're with in 100 meters of it, don't stay on target in attempts to finish it. Break target and come back around for another pass. This goes back to our earlier point of supremacy, when maximizing your supremacy management you will find it better to leave targets with low hp until you need them over pure destruction. There is no rush, the GT's are not going anywhere, while you can, but you can't if you run into a mast, a ship wire, a antenna, or any object to include trees protruding out of the surface.

Progression:

Constantly you will be told as a inexperienced pilot "do not rush up the tiers!" If you don't challenge yourself how do you expect to overcome the obstacles ahead. There is no way to learn how to play T7 without playing Tier 7. Progress freely at your comfort level, if you find yourself struggling at the current tier you're playing then continue to play it after you have unlocked the next aircraft; however, don't be afraid to try the next tier anyway! There may be a valuable lesson you learn in the next tier up that was your road block in the tier below. Always try to at least get all the X2's done in the planes you are currently grinding.

F.A.Q.

View PostUser said

Dity are there any good threads that explains the art of resets of the supremacy bar that would help in furthering this action on how it works?

It's mostly trial and error. If you read the supremacy blogit will help you further your education. Unfortunately the supremacy blog was removed; but, the reset system works in percentages, while the point system works in cumulative. So every time you completely destroy a target you set back their bar by x% points. This is crucial as often it is more valuable to nearly destroy several targets, and then make a final pass to destroy them all at once in order to succeed a larger reset value.

While the more points you have the faster your bar moves in relation to the enemy teams bar not in total. For example, if you have 215 supremacy points and the enemy has 200 supremacy points both of your bars will essentially be filling at the same rate, while yours will fill at xx% points that the 15 points gives you over their team. I am not sure but it seems as if the equation is 100% divided by how ever many points the team with the most points has to decide how fast your bar is moving.

The only way to get a firm grasp on how to manipulate the system is to educate yourself on how it works, and experiment in game with manipulating it. This is why you hear so many people complaining about the supremacy system. To address all the previous concerns about supremacy and how "unfair" it was in past patches. WG went so far to make a dynamic system that puts you in a position of "no return" less often then previous versions. The supremacy system is one of the best things Wargaming has ever implemented in terms of game play. It addresses all game sizes and game make ups in a appropriate manner to give cause for a fair chance for both teams to win by supremacy.

Blog:

http://blog.worldofw...periority-mode/

PM said

Hello dityboycom,

You've offered to share your experience on how to get a thunder in 3 minutes.

So far what I learned is to kill a ship hitting the center red square or drop a bomb on the stern of a ship. Then concentrate on the red squares of any ground targets after having taken out the AAs. Also ignoring the yellow squares in the beginning....

You want to hit the front of all ships, not the red square. Ships have funny hit boxes that seemingly account for different components of the ship in their current state, destroyed or active. Often, much of the hull in the middle of the ship is shared with these other hit boxes, thus sharing your damage with those as well as the hull. You want to focus all your damage on the hull by hitting a location on the ship that only the hulls hit box exist. This is the front of the ship near the water line to give room for dispersion. On the smaller 9/9 ships this applies as well, but you will destroy the yellow box from dispersion in the process. Bombs, should be dropped in the location that you are choosing, so you're good in that respect. In general for ships of your tier you only need 2 rockets / 1 bomb ( there are some ships that you only need one rocket and some gun fire, but you will figure it out ) All ships you should fire at while you shoot rockets, not only does this help you aim your rockets better but it gives fluff damage for any miscalculation in your aim.

As you get to ships that out tier you, you will find yourself either using more gun fire ( to include flaps and cutting the engine ) or an extra rocket. There is certain ships on certain maps that require more rockets for whatever reason with their hit boxes. Now I did say there are a few maps you cannot easily obtain a thunder, and those are the maps where the majority of your supremacy points available are hardened ground targets. Obviously, because you have to destroy every last module it makes it inherently more difficult to obtain a high score at a quick pace, but it is possible.

Generally when you get your game play down to an art you will find yourself with an abundance of ordinance and a thunder. Just takes a little practice to figure out where the sweet spot is on what ships/ground targets. Also, don't forget when hitting GT's to shoot in a way that your dispersion covers other hit boxes and isn't being wasted hitting the ground where no hit boxes are.

Edited by dityboycom, 07 August 2015 - 06:44 PM.

WOW

dityboycom #2 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

Defensive Basics:

• Do not show your belly or pilot - When evading do not show a plane who is 200+ meters away from you your belly or pilot. Avoid this by not making a massive turn when being attacked, short precise movements are ideal.

• Survival over rear gunner time  - When a enemy(ies) are behind you maximizing your tail gunner(TG) time on target is paramount to survival; however, survival is more important than TG time. Is rotating to the right, cutting your engine, engaging flaps and flipping over will keep the enemies guns off you, then do it. Don't trade hundreds of HP points for a handful of the enemies. That being said, if an enemy is low on HP and you think you can kill him before he kills you (assuming you're the last two planes in the game, or a similar situation) then feel free to fly in a straight line.

• Fly in a straight line - As you move up the tiers your planes will get faster, as they get faster this rule gets more and more important. While it's not important to fly completely straight, maximizing your air speed is ideal when attempting to run back to your AA or prevent an enemy attacker from getting a good angle on you to maximize their Damage Per Second(DPS) before your TG does his job.

• Don't under estimate your planes maneuverability - Often players neglect to see maneuvering as a legitimate mode of avoidance for GAA, while they aren't the most maneuverable with practice you will discover a lot of evasive maneuvers will minimize enemy gun time while maximizing your TG's shot window.

• Don't over estimate your planes maneuverability - If you find yourself alone with a highly maneuverable plane, don't waste your time trying to turn and dance with the aircraft. Focus on survivability and TG time, fly straight as possible with evasive maneuvers worked into maximizing air speed to force the opposing pilot to stay behind you to do any damage, or bugout.

• Bombs are great but don't rely on them - Don't be that guy that saves all his ordnance to defend himself from attackers. In most situations your contribution to supremacy is paramount over your defensive capabilities. Gaining the supremacy advantage will allow your team the versatility to force the opposing team to play your game. Failing to achieve the supremacy advantage is failing your job as a GAA pilot.

• Don't climb - GAA 101, your plane is not only harder to find closer to the deck, it is also harder to hit. Forcing a plane to the deck to shoot you will not only force them to bleed a lot of energy and potential energy, it will reduce their attack time as they need to be aware of the ground as a formidable opponent. With out the ground, you're a sitting duck. Giggle away at the GAA you see flying at 2000, 3000 meters. Rest assured if you have discovered how your mini map works, they will be an ineffective part of the game.

Edited by dityboycom, 21 April 2015 - 04:14 PM.

WOW

dityboycom #3 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
:playing: Are you ready for what's going to be in this post? I am whenever I run out of room in the two post above!

WOW

dityboycom #4 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
One more final reserved spot, just in case this thread gets a little out of hand with advice. :trollface:

WOW

CrayolaCrayon #5 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6548 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
You left out the most important tip for the majority of GA pilots. How to avoid the ground/things sticking out of it.

losttwo #6 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

What should we shoot at first ?

Please explain the BOW of the ship exploit.

Edited by losttwo, 10 April 2015 - 07:14 PM.

dityboycom #7 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postlosttwo, on 10 April 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

What should we shoot at first ?

Please explain the BOW of the ship exploit.

It's not so much an exploit as it is physics. If you destroy the hull of a ship in real life its going to sink. Same in this game, except you are met with a satisfying explosion instead. It is also explained in the F.A.Q.

WOW

dityboycom #8 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostCrayolaCrayon, on 10 April 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

You left out the most important tip for the majority of GA pilots. How to avoid the ground/things sticking out of it.

It's not done! I merely wanted to put up what I had before it got too excessive and I had to start over because I was logged out or something.

WOW

Bear_1947 #9 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4853 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Great guide Dity +1, Covers the basics nicely, Well done sir!!

WoTSig_zps60137acc.png

GiN_nTonic #10 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Captain

• 19313 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Looks good so far Dity - nicely done and very cool you put the effort forward to do this.

GouIdy #11 Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18227 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Oh here we go! Just what we need around here is more competent window lickers lol

backseater60 #12 Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14999 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Good Job Dity.  I am glad you put that 2nd vid in again.  I watched it the first time and wanted to watch again later and couldn't find it.  Waiting for more, keep it coming.:great:

SystemRename_999888 #13 Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:10 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22995 battles

Small quibble about word confusion - ordnance vs. ordinance:

Nice intro guide  though, well done!

A deeper understanding of the difference between a fad and a fashion statement will enable you to win a fashion fueled guessing game. 

dityboycom #14 Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:20 AM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostRock18, on 10 April 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Small quibble about word confusion - ordnance vs. ordinance:

Nice intro guide  though, well done!

:D Didn't even catch that.

WOW

Gang_Starr #15 Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

Captain

• 12231 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostThe_Original_Gouldy, on 10 April 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Oh here we go! Just what we need around here is more competent window lickers lol

I wouldn't worry about it, 99.999% of people wouldn't learn even if you gave them perfect step-by-step instructions. the other 0.001% would have learned anyway even without help.

Tenks

GiN_nTonic #16 Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:43 AM

Captain

• 19313 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Good vid's - although you might evoke the wrath of your clan leader for playing tier X.

Seriously though, do you like the IL-40p?  I just unlocked mine but wasn't sure if its worthwhile to buy.  Beyond the fact there's not a lot of tier X games is the plane a nice upgrade from the T.9?

Edited by GiNnTonic, 17 April 2015 - 01:50 AM.

dityboycom #17 Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostJlNN, on 16 April 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

Good vid's - although you might evoke the wrath of your clan leader for playing tier X.

Seriously though, do you like the IL-40p?  I just unlocked mine but wasn't sure if its worthwhile to buy.  Beyond the fact there's not a lot of tier X games is the plane a nice upgrade from the T.9?

For me the difference is night and day. While I enjoy both, I enjoy the 40P more than the 40. It is very worthwhile to buy if you're going to be playing it as much as I see you up there :)

Now, if you have a long list of other T10's you're saving to buy, I wouldn't make the 40P a priority, as you said there aren't many T10 games. When there is, using a 40P probably isn't high on your priority list.

WOW

dityboycom #18 Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
hello

Edited by dityboycom, 07 August 2015 - 06:42 PM.

WOW

dityboycom #19 Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Corrected parts that are outdated due to blogs being removed.

WOW

Porkins_Jr #20 Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

Major

• 14402 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postdityboycom, on 21 April 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

While I enjoy both, I enjoy the 40P more than the 40..

I like both, but I like the 40 more. Not sure why. Maybe because it's not hideous....no that's probably not it.

They are both awesome tho

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users