• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

An_Average_Jho #21 Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

Commenting on gift or limited availability planes I own:

Ha137: It's pretty good, I guess. You can buy the Ha137-1, which is for all intents and purposes the same plane.

Pegasus: More fun due to its rockets more than anything else. Single 50cal gun is good against fighter, but lacking against anything else.

Do17: Basically an anti-HF variant of the FW-57. Worse firepower and bomb load, but better maneuverability all-round and fancy downward-firing tail gunner.

Me210: I don't know why people are so engrossed with this plane. The firepower is equal to or worse than its same-tier counterparts. The only thing it's got for it are the 500kg bombs, the biggest in the game. The tail gunner has some nice guns, but that's not really a selling point (unless it was given its historical firing arc, which would be downright OP).

F11C-2: Much like the Me210, it's biggest attribute is the bomb it carries. Without it, it's like any other tier 2 plane.

Hawk III: Reskin of the F11C but with two 100 pound bombs.

Ar197: Okay, this one is pretty good. It's the slowest tier 4, as it is a biplane, but you can give Zeros and I-16s a run for their money. The guns overheat really quickly, which really limits its damage output. 

XP-31: A nice change of pace for tier 2. You get a speedy plane instead of a turn fighting biplane.

Type 224: Good all-round. Kinda ugly.

Model 81A-1: P-40 with only two 50cal guns. Its speed is unrivalled at tier 4, which makes it a prime seal clubbing tool. The firepower does really make doing any real damage a pain. Equivalent in gameplay to the Me209V.

I-15 DM-2: Tier 2 biplane bumped up to tier 3 because it can reach tier 4-like speeds for several seconds. Some legends say that the boost can make you reach escape velocity.

F2A-1: Tier 3 Model 81A-1. F2A with only one 12.7mm MG and one 7.62mm MG.

XP-77: American Zero. Meh firepower, good maneuverability, execrable speed. 

XFL-1: Downtiered P-39. You get the P-39's 37mm cannon on a platform that is somehow worse than the P-39's RL reputation in the UK & the US.

But here's the thing. I wouldn't mind if some or all of these planes were available again. The problem resides in the experience WG had with WoT's launch. The devs had tried to re-release pre-order tanks, but had to take down their offer within hours due to a collective shitstorm on all the servers. From then on, WG has stood firm on its limited availabilities. Any of the planes that were branded as "available at one time only", like the tester gift planes, have no chance of ever resurfacing. That being said, a few rare planes weren't branded as "available at one time only", like the Type 224, Fw56 or others I can't remember. If it's any consolation, you'll be able to get some of those rare planes, but not the majority of them.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

sms5 #22 Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

Master Sergeant

• 63 battles

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 06 April 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

Commenting on gift or limited availability planes I own:

Ha137: It's pretty good, I guess. You can buy the Ha137-1, which is for all intents and purposes the same plane.

Pegasus: More fun due to its rockets more than anything else. Single 50cal gun is good against fighter, but lacking against anything else.

Do17: Basically an anti-HF variant of the FW-57. Worse firepower and bomb load, but better maneuverability all-round and fancy downward-firing tail gunner.

Me210: I don't know why people are so engrossed with this plane. The firepower is equal to or worse than its same-tier counterparts. The only thing it's got for it are the 500kg bombs, the biggest in the game. The tail gunner has some nice guns, but that's not really a selling point (unless it was given its historical firing arc, which would be downright OP).

F11C-2: Much like the Me210, it's biggest attribute is the bomb it carries. Without it, it's like any other tier 2 plane.

Hawk III: Reskin of the F11C but with two 100 pound bombs.

Ar197: Okay, this one is pretty good. It's the slowest tier 4, as it is a biplane, but you can give Zeros and I-16s a run for their money. The guns overheat really quickly, which really limits its damage output.

XP-31: A nice change of pace for tier 2. You get a speedy plane instead of a turn fighting biplane.

Type 224: Good all-round. Kinda ugly.

Model 81A-1: P-40 with only two 50cal guns. Its speed is unrivalled at tier 4, which makes it a prime seal clubbing tool. The firepower does really make doing any real damage a pain. Equivalent in gameplay to the Me209V.

I-15 DM-2: Tier 2 biplane bumped up to tier 3 because it can reach tier 4-like speeds for several seconds. Some legends say that the boost can make you reach escape velocity.

F2A-1: Tier 3 Model 81A-1. F2A with only one 12.7mm MG and one 7.62mm MG.

XP-77: American Zero. Meh firepower, good maneuverability, execrable speed.

XFL-1: Downtiered P-39. You get the P-39's 37mm cannon on a platform that is somehow worse than the P-39's RL reputation in the UK & the US.

But here's the thing. I wouldn't mind if some or all of these planes were available again. The problem resides in the experience WG had with WoT's launch. The devs had tried to re-release pre-order tanks, but had to take down their offer within hours due to a collective shitstorm on all the servers. From then on, WG has stood firm on its limited availabilities. Any of the planes that were branded as "available at one time only", like the tester gift planes, have no chance of ever resurfacing. That being said, a few rare planes weren't branded as "available at one time only", like the Type 224, Fw56 or others I can't remember. If it's any consolation, you'll be able to get some of those rare planes, but not the majority of them.

Thanks Jho.  I appreciate the commentary.

That being said, most of the WoT players are trolls.:trollface:

HoH_Wolfblitz #23 Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10 battles

View Postraulv04, on 06 April 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

I sometimes regret not having the Hurricane IID, for example.

I'd be happy to sell you mine haha.

Seriously, the only reason I still have it is because I'm hoping WG will give it a buff at some point. I rarely fly it and when I do, I usually end up smashing my face on the keyboard because of how useless it is.

raulv04 #24 Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View PostHoH_Wolfblitz, on 06 April 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

I'd be happy to sell you mine haha.

Seriously, the only reason I still have it is because I'm hoping WG will give it a buff at some point. I rarely fly it and when I do, I usually end up smashing my face on the keyboard because of how useless it is.

ROFL! :teethhappy: I did have the chance to get it, but since I was so +++++ed off by update 1.5, I decided not to complete the mission. Many have told me exactly the same thing, that it's almost useless. My regret is because I consider myself a collector, so I can't miss any planes I can get my hands on.

Florida_Man_ #25 Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 99 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The responses from 2014:

http://forum.worldof...ta-gift-planes/

MAKE WOWP GREAT AGAIN :honoring:

von_Krimm #26 Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:01 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

If the door is opened for one gift plane to be made available for out-right purchase in the gift shop, then arguments will ensue to make ALL non-Alpha/Beta gift planes available (and some dunderheads will argue to make the A/B gifts purchasable anyhow!) for purchase in the gift shop.  That would be  a pronounced travesty, for some gift planes are signs of having supported WoWP since its inception while others show that people have supported WoWP since day 'X', in either case, the gifts are for having supported WoWP, not some elitist badge as some people seem to think.  nor do "retired" gift planes make a player special in any manner.  Also, there are some gift planes that absolutely do not belong in the game in mass numbers; the Ki-33 for example.  do you really want that tier 3 OP little bird preying on the few new players that are entering WoWP?!  you think it is hard to lure/retain new players now, the Ki-33 in flocks with "pros" behind the sticks would be one of the last nails for WoWP.

(so sayeth a Ki-33 owner)

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

raulv04 #27 Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles

View PostGUNDY_, on 06 April 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

The responses from 2014:

http://forum.worldof...ta-gift-planes/

And the responses from 2015 will be in the same tone. I supported WG by buying the P51K for a hefty amount of money (as I did back when I bought the F11-C) and see what WG did. It gave away the F11-C and made me feel I wasted my money on it. So if I show that I supported WG by buying the P51K at the beginning of the year, so be it. But don't make that available because I will feel that I wasted my money again. The same goes to the Model 81A. I spent that whole weekend accumulating 50,000 XP to get my plane. If it "magically" shows on the shop, I'll slam my head on the wall.

Tonzzo #28 Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Captain

• 724 battles

I always love reading these threads of "No its mine!" / "I supported the game"  now nobody can have them!

So you would deny anyone else from ever supporting the game by making these aircraft unavailable?  Some support....  Oh well my money don't need to buy them then...  :great:

von_Krimm #29 Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:39 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

View PostTonzzo, on 07 April 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I always love reading these threads of "No its mine!" / "I supported the game"  now nobody can have them!

So you would deny anyone else from ever supporting the game by making these aircraft unavailable?  Some support....  Oh well my money don't need to buy them then...  :great:

plenty of other planes out there to make into premium/gift a/c that show how you've supported WoWP without the need to re-issue ones that were awarded for special promotions/events/rewards.  cajole the devs for more a/c and less about re-issuing "commemorative" planes.

Edited by von_Krimm, 07 April 2015 - 03:39 PM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

sms5 #30 Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• 63 battles

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 06 April 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

Does the Do 17 have a 3-man crew?  Like pilot+rear gunner+ ventral gunner?  Or is it just ventral only?

dityboycom #31 Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postdityboycom, on 06 April 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

They often allow you to purchase gift planes during special events. In doing this, they keep people playing waiting for the next special event when they can pay for a new plane they can't have for any other reason. It's basically WG's way of making you beg them to let you give them money. It's a great marketing ploy, and I doubt it will ever change.

This is the answer to the thread.

View Postvon_Krimm, on 06 April 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

If the door is opened for one gift plane to be made available for out-right purchase in the gift shop, then arguments will ensue to make ALL non-Alpha/Beta gift planes available (and some dunderheads will argue to make the A/B gifts purchasable anyhow!) for purchase in the gift shop.  That would be  a pronounced travesty, for some gift planes are signs of having supported WoWP since its inception while others show that people have supported WoWP since day 'X', in either case, the gifts are for having supported WoWP, not some elitist badge as some people seem to think.  nor do "retired" gift planes make a player special in any manner.  Also, there are some gift planes that absolutely do not belong in the game in mass numbers; the Ki-33 for example.  do you really want that tier 3 OP little bird preying on the few new players that are entering WoWP?!  you think it is hard to lure/retain new players now, the Ki-33 in flocks with "pros" behind the sticks would be one of the last nails for WoWP.

(so sayeth a Ki-33 owner)

Um, the only thing about making money is optimizing your opportunities with minimal effort. No plane in this game is off limits forever because someone "supported wowP" The idea of your reward is you got the plane for free and others will have to pay. That is your reward for "supporting" the game.

Yak-3RD given away for free, immediately on sale. Meteor, won with a mission went on sale shortly there after, P51k special event plane, went on sale for limited time. Why? Say something is "limited" more people will buy it not knowing when it will be available again.

It's pretty simple, it has nothing to do with respecting those who supported wowp at a certain time. It's all about optimizing their money. The longer its not available, the more people that will buy it when they offer it for sale.

oldiowaguy #32 Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

View Postdityboycom, on 07 April 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Um, the only thing about making money is optimizing your opportunities with minimal effort. No plane in this game is off limits forever because someone "supported wowP" The idea of your reward is you got the plane for free and others will have to pay. That is your reward for "supporting" the game.

Yak-3RD given away for free, immediately on sale. Meteor, won with a mission went on sale shortly there after, P51k special event plane, went on sale for limited time. Why? Say something is "limited" more people will buy it not knowing when it will be available again.

It's pretty simple, it has nothing to do with respecting those who supported wowp at a certain time. It's all about optimizing their money. The longer its not available, the more people that will buy it when they offer it for sale.

Then WG will make a boatload of money if they ever sell the Type 59. That thing is made of unobtainium and almost every tanker wants it. And after the the PZ IIJ sale they just had you may be right. There are IIJ platoons trolling low tiers as we speak!

Edit: The guys that paid $300-400+ on ebay for a PZ IIJ must be pi$$ed!!!

Edited by oldiowaguy, 07 April 2015 - 05:29 PM.

Tonzzo #33 Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

Captain

• 724 battles

View Postvon_Krimm, on 07 April 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

plenty of other planes out there to make into premium/gift a/c that show how you've supported WoWP without the need to re-issue ones that were awarded for special promotions/events/rewards.  cajole the devs for more a/c and less about re-issuing "commemorative" planes.

Ive bought almost every plane that is for sale....  except (lets see) The KI-88 I earned it...  The XP-50 I earned it....  The Yak-3rd I earned it....  The Meteor I earned it....  All of them could be bought...  I don't cry or say its unfair....  All the others that aren't for sale that I "earned" Don't care....  Sell them if it makes money....  Sell them if it gives the company more money to pay real developers that can find their behind with one hand let alone either....  Use that money to advertise the game... Use that money to make the game better....  Those that want to keep them for themselves wont play the game when its dead....  Its a game and you earn NOTHING...   They are gift planes and if they decide to gift it again that's WG's progative....  If they want to sell it then all they are doing is monetarily justifying that you did receive a GIFT!

View Postdityboycom, on 07 April 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

+10,000ish.....  :honoring:

Noreaga #34 Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

if the gifts planes were any good i would understand this thread, but for the most part they suck or have a glaring weakness. Most of the gift planes are/were available for purchase except of a few "reward" planes. The way i see it, you want a 210 (i do) then go back in time and get into alpha otherwise someone might have something you don't have...OMG. Good marketing on WG's part, when these mediocre planes are released for purchase, it looks like a lot of people will jump on them.

I don't see how making them unavailable for a few years is bad, it creates scarcity, highlights the players who are loyal, play a lot, and rewards alpha and beta work. I would buy a T59 or E75 in a second in tanks but they are not for sale and neither will these (honorable discharge https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/specials/?item=1052 ) in a few weeks. 

its part of supply and demand, anyway good luck with your crusade!

Cheers,

Nor.

Edited by Noreaga, 07 April 2015 - 05:52 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

tahee59 #35 Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
No way the BSh-1 is all mine .....or anyone that bought the $20 preorder bundle before the game went live.

Dsembr_Rein #36 Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View Posttahee59, on 07 April 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

No way the BSh-1 is all mine .....or anyone that bought the $20 preorder bundle before the game went live.

Funny thing, the pre-order bundles all had a disclaimer stating the aircraft could become available in the gift shop after a year. They haven't, yet, but they left that option open.

Tonzzo #37 Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Captain

• 724 battles

View Posttahee59, on 07 April 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

:teethhappy:

honorabili #38 Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5510 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
They should at least every month give players one plane they can earn by doing some mission (old or new). While you're at it implement the mission system from World of Tanks to earn unique vehicles.

Tonzzo #39 Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

Captain

• 724 battles

View Posthonorabili, on 09 April 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

They should at least every month give players one plane they can earn by doing some mission (old or new). While you're at it implement the mission system from World of Tanks to earn unique vehicles.

Wait you want to reward people for playing the game?..... Wouldn't that be a "gift"?  Seems like a good use for a "Gift Aircraft".....   :popcorn:

Edited by Tonzzo, 10 April 2015 - 07:23 PM.

ViolentAngel #40 Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Yeah, it would make sense for them to provide other opportunities to acquire the gift planes. I've kept all of mine - even my very first one - the tier 2 Curtiss Hawk III. I'll bet there will be opportunities to get some of these again.

Perhaps they're waiting for a slightly bigger population though to maximize the returns.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users