Jump to content


New Players! Please read!

Gunsight Lead Compensation Screenshot

  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

sms5 #1 Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:19 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 63 battles
  • 36
  • Member since:
    08-13-2014

New Players take note!

 

In order to hit a moving target, such as an enemy fighter, you need to plan ahead and anticipate where that target will be when the bullets travel the required distance.  To do this, the gunsight needs to be on top of the lead-compensating reticle, which is slightly ahead of the target.  To get the gunsight to overlap the reticle, aim the camera slightly ahead of the reticle.  If your airplane is close and maneuverable enough, the bullets will strike the enemy aircraft.  The attached screenshot shows how it's done.

 

Experienced players take note!

 

Before trolling and bashing me on "UH YOURE JUST A NOOB YOURE NOT CREDIBLE!" allow me to explain that although I was flying a T1 biplane in the screenshot featured below I reached T6 on the American tech tree getting bored and reaching T5 on the British line.  The screenshot shows no damage because I had my hands full controlling the airplane and hitting the screenshot button, with nothing left over to fire the guns.

Attached Thumbnails



IPlayWithAppleTree #2 Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 348 battles
  • 461
  • Member since:
    10-21-2012

At least you used the right you're/your.

Hey, new dudes, rockets are not the same.



ParanoiaXtreme_PRX #3 Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1203 battles
  • 2,863
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostIPlayWithAppleTree, on 31 March 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

At least you used the right you're/your.

Hey, new dudes, rockets are not the same.

 

they are, you just need to aim more infront

BrushWolf #4 Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012
Actually the lead indicator is more of a hint and you often have to shoot ahead or behind it.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


losttwo #5 Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 1671 battles
  • 13,149
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

Do what I do

Go back to tier 1 and tier 2 and fly with no HUD

 

That reminds me I think it is time for another video

I will start working on it and post it soon



von_Krimm #6 Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:22 AM

    Feedback Airedale

  • Community Ace
  • 435 battles
  • 1,348
  • Member since:
    01-09-2012

View PostBrushWolf, on 01 April 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

Actually the lead indicator is more of a hint and you often have to shoot ahead or behind it.

 

 

to expand: the muzzle velocity value of your weapons matter with mixed armament a/c. if you have two .30cal & two .50cal MGs on your plane, the gun sight takes the average of the two weapons for the reference point; not that there is much difference between 850m/s & 890 m/s, just that the .30cal are a smidgen behind the aim point and the .50cal a smidgen in front of the aim point.  IT IS CRUCIAL when you have weapons that have over a 50 m/s difference (think Me-209 with mk-108 & 151/20 combo) that you know the values in order to maximize your hit rate AND you need to know the ROF for each weapon to maximize the damage.  For single type weapon a/c, the aimpoint is the aimpoint with a minimal inherent margin of deviation. For a/c that carry three or more different weapon types....you'll need to do some math on the fly.

 

 

 

(math on the fly...hehehe)


I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

BrushWolf #7 Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:01 AM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • 5,907
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View Postvon_Krimm, on 31 March 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

 

 

to expand: the muzzle velocity value of your weapons matter with mixed armament a/c. if you have two .30cal & two .50cal MGs on your plane, the gun sight takes the average of the two weapons for the reference point; not that there is much difference between 850m/s & 890 m/s, just that the .30cal are a smidgen behind the aim point and the .50cal a smidgen in front of the aim point.  IT IS CRUCIAL when you have weapons that have over a 50 m/s difference (think Me-209 with mk-108 & 151/20 combo) that you know the values in order to maximize your hit rate AND you need to know the ROF for each weapon to maximize the damage.  For single type weapon a/c, the aimpoint is the aimpoint with a minimal inherent margin of deviation. For a/c that carry three or more different weapon types....you'll need to do some math on the fly.

 

 

 

(math on the fly...hehehe)

 

True but my experience is even with homogenous weapons that deflection isn't properly accounted for.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

                             

 

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

 


iR3ptile #8 Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 10
  • Member since:
    03-27-2015
Thanks dude

losttwo #9 Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 1671 battles
  • 13,149
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

update on the no HUD video.

Unfortunately when I replay the video the HUD reappears so there is no way to see if I am really flying with out a HUD.

Yes when I make the video I can turn the HUD off, yet you would not know if I was flying in the match with or with out the HUD.



Jyarbro28 #10 Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 204 battles
  • 106
  • [VULCN] VULCN
  • Member since:
    08-07-2014

AND, watch your tracers, if they aren't curving through the area the target is in, then you aren't hitting it. Adjust your angle until the tracers curve through the target.

 

AND ALSO, while a head on pass is by far the easiest targeting for a plane you are not following, it is also a really bad idea if he has a firepower advantage. I'm not sure how many players I see taking their light fighter head on with a heavy or a GA and coming out on the very bad end. It's ok to pull through a head on pass, but then move to the side and turn on to their rear. The angle is the same, but you are following them, they are unable to out maneuver you and you will live to shoot others down too.



Gang_Starr #11 Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 2 battles
  • 3,845
  • [BAGG] BAGG
  • Member since:
    04-09-2014

View Postvon_Krimm, on 31 March 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

 

 

to expand: the muzzle velocity value of your weapons matter with mixed armament a/c. if you have two .30cal & two .50cal MGs on your plane, the gun sight takes the average of the two weapons for the reference point; not that there is much difference between 850m/s & 890 m/s, just that the .30cal are a smidgen behind the aim point and the .50cal a smidgen in front of the aim point.  IT IS CRUCIAL when you have weapons that have over a 50 m/s difference (think Me-209 with mk-108 & 151/20 combo) that you know the values in order to maximize your hit rate AND you need to know the ROF for each weapon to maximize the damage.  For single type weapon a/c, the aimpoint is the aimpoint with a minimal inherent margin of deviation. For a/c that carry three or more different weapon types....you'll need to do some math on the fly.

 

 

 

(math on the fly...hehehe)

 

No, the sight does not take the average of the two muzzle velocities, The lead indicator shows where to shoot for your biggest caliber guns to hit. so if you're flying a plane which has 2x30mm, 2x20mm, and 2x13mm (In this case the Fw190D) the red lead indicator is showing you results ONLY for the 30mm guns.

Tenks


RedSpartacus #12 Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1,521
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    02-02-2014
Still trying to figure out how to aim on planes with the Ju-88.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

ViolentAngel #13 Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:15 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1,809
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013

LISTEN UP NOOOOBS!!!!

 

This is a game of superior numbers, superior position, and superior strategy!

 

Make sure your team has the numbers advantage. This is why we say: "group up!"

 

The business end of your plane is in the front. The business end of your adversary's plane is also in the front. Attain a superior position by putting your plane's business up your adversary's rear end.

 

This is not Hollywood!  Rambo DIES in this game. Unlike in the movies, he does not rush into the enemy encampment and kill all fifty of them. He get his HEAD handed to him!!! You want the other team to come to you one at a time.

 

Control the battlefield in the horizontal AND in the vertical. If your plane is designed to fly high - FLY HIGH!!!  If your plane is designed to fly low - FLY LOW!!!  Use your planes strength against your enemy. Use your enemy's weaknesses against him!!!

 

Now pull up your little panties and get back into battle you MAGGOTS!!!!  :izmena:

OOHRAH!!


Edited by Jekyll_n_Hyde, 23 April 2015 - 12:41 AM.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake


md4dodge #14 Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 17 battles
  • 176
  • [ACES_] ACES_
  • Member since:
    11-15-2013

View PostJekyll_n_Hyde, on 21 April 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

 

 

Now pull up your little panties and get back into battle you MAGGOTS!!!!

OOHRAH!!

     :trollface:

:popcorn:

 

 

 

:hiding:

 

 


 


x_WARHOG_x #15 Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1 battle
  • 642
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    12-07-2013

Preach it Brother Jekyll Preach it...........................:trollface:

 

Can I get an Amen.......:facepalm:


Sneaking up on your six.....................


SOJO #16 Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1,624
  • [SICK] SICK
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Amazing

MALICE_AT_BIRTH.png

 

 

                                                    


dityboycom #17 Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

    Colonel

  • Member
  • 1 battle
  • 9,287
  • [BAGG] BAGG
  • Member since:
    08-23-2014
Potential energy is always cool tool.

Pogo68 #18 Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1649 battles
  • 1,377
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

View Postdityboycom, on 05 May 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Potential energy is always cool tool.

 

Dicta Boelcke circa 1916

Rule #1 Try to secure the upper hand before attacking

 

That has not changed in 99 years.


DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

ParanoiaXtreme_PRX #19 Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1203 battles
  • 2,863
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostJekyll_n_Hyde, on 22 April 2015 - 02:15 AM, said:

LISTEN UP NOOOOBS!!!!

 

This is a game of superior numbers, superior position, and superior strategy!

 

Make sure your team has the numbers advantage. This is why we say: "group up!"

 

The business end of your plane is in the front. The business end of your adversary's plane is also in the front. Attain a superior position by putting your plane's business up your adversary's rear end.

 

This is not Hollywood!  Rambo DIES in this game. Unlike in the movies, he does not rush into the enemy encampment and kill all fifty of them. He get his HEAD handed to him!!! You want the other team to come to you one at a time.

 

Control the battlefield in the horizontal AND in the vertical. If your plane is designed to fly high - FLY HIGH!!!  If your plane is designed to fly low - FLY LOW!!!  Use your planes strength against your enemy. Use your enemy's weaknesses against him!!!

 

Now pull up your little panties and get back into battle you MAGGOTS!!!!  :izmena:

OOHRAH!!

 

had enough caffiene?



ViolentAngel #20 Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1,809
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013
lol - I had actually written this off as a fail-troll post...  I guess it just need time to "ripen" :trollface:

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake






Also tagged with Gunsight, Lead, Compensation, Screenshot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users