Wirraway TbM Replay

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Hello pilots!  Today's video features the Thunder from Down Under: The CAC CA-1 Wirraway Royal Australian Air Force attack aircraft that was awarded to our community at the beginning of March for completion of a 20 win mission over the course of a three day weekend.

There was a lot of initial excitement that had a wet towel thrown on it when those who expect an Attacker class aircraft to have overwhelming frontal firepower researched the aircraft and found out it only had a pair of 303 brownings mounted in the nose.  The Hell?  How is an attacker supposed to do its job with only a pair of machine guns?  Well, look at the belly of the Wirraway; it carries four 250 lb bombs.  These bombs are the heaviest bombs carried in tier III by any aircraft, handily outweighing the SC100 bombs carried by the former Kings of the Bomb, the German Focke-Wulf Fw.57 and the Dornier Do.17Z-7.  I would say that the Wirraway bombs are the largest low tier bombs in the game but that title still belongs to the Curtiss F11C-2 Goshawk, which has a ridiculously large bomb that weighs in at over 400 lbs.

Unlike the Curtiss's bomb, though, the Wirraway's bombs are capable of wreaking havoc on the ground or on its tailgaters without risking blowing up the Wirraway.  (The explosion is still quite large, though.  I cooked myself a little bit at least twice in the video above.)  The Wirraway is most definitely a threat as an aerial weapons platform and as an anti ground target vehicle.  While fully loaded the Wirraway is able to outmaneuver the German Ha.137 Bee Vee, the previous acknowledged champion of the low tier "multi role" attack aircraft.  In fact, I solidly place the Wirraway into the "Multi Role Attacker" classification that I made up.  Here's why:

Wirraway bombs can one-shot 16 point ship targets of tier III or IV, netting 64 points of supremacy for the team without using the MGs on a single ground target.

Once those bombs are cut loose the Wirraway becomes much lighter on her toes and even more responsive than before.  An unladen Wirraway can join the furball with no fear; it's capable of flying with full maneuverability just above stall speed so even an I-16 or a Zero will have a hard time dodging the two bullet hoses you have attached to the front.

That's right; bullet hoses.  The MGs on the Wirraway absolutely refuse to overheat unless you *really* lay into them.  Use incendiary or API ammo in those guns and everything but ILs and other flying tanks will burn down before you actually kill them on hitpoint loss.  My Commonwealth gunner crew isn't top notch like my Russian or German, so the effectiveness of the rear gunner for me is middling right now, but he has killed several planes, so I expect it's amazingly trolly with a few dps increase skills like sharpshooter and long reach.

Bottom line:  Never underestimate a Wirraway.  It's like a tier III Seversky 2PA-L that has armor and carries bombs.

Can you hear the thunder?  You better run, you better take cover.  :playing:

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

An_Average_Jho #2 Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:46 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

You make the Wirraway look decent. I haven't dared to take mine out of the garage. You are pretty SOL if you find yourself on a board without 16 point targets, however.

Completely unrelated, but I am largely turned off by the name CAC CA-1, which looks a lot like French/Spanish/Portuguese word for poo.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:25 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Oh, great.  Now I see it, too.

Thanks a lot, Jho.   I've got it.  Instead of CAC CA-1 we call it the Deuce 1? :teethhappy:

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 27 March 2015 - 04:26 AM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

_Warchylde_ #4 Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Watched this yesterday on your YouTube channel, bro. Nicely done in all categories. 

I know first hand just how nimble this modified Texan really is, just barely surviving a dogfight with one the other day whilst flying my BeeVee (see my latest video "BeeVee on the Wild Side").

Still pissed off that work and a wonky UPS on my 'puter did not allow me to complete the Wirraway mission...I want one so badly...

Edited by _Warchylde_, 27 March 2015 - 11:30 AM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Bear_1947 #5 Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 139 battles

Great Video Magus, I can attest to the efficiency in combat of the Wirraway. It can hold its own very well indeed. My crew has only the one skill and still this plane comes out on top most of the time. The bombs are devastating to say the least and if you drop them flying low you will lose a few hit points yourself from the blast. That pesky guy on your six? reel him in close drop an egg and your trouble goes away.Yor teammate in trouble? turn those .303's loose and clear hjis six.  I have yet to overheat those guns, must be the big fan in front of them. 

:teethhappy:

Edited by CalicoJack_2014, 27 March 2015 - 01:07 PM.

WoTSig_zps60137acc.png

Topsight #6 Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Love that little "bugger". When I need a break I "wirr away" with my wirraway! Lost count of how many tail gaters she got when they got too close. Dogfighting? You betcha! Wirraway...she slices she dices and makes french fires!

Rockstone_ #7 Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
Nice vid as always Magus, this plane is known to me as a Harvard and was quite popular at air shows in the seventies. I had a friend who would bum rides in any plane he could; he got a ride in one of theses, and while doing a slow roll at 300 feet over the airfield and upside down the plane went in to the ground.

The pilot an old WW2 vet was killed, luckily my friend was not seriously hurt, a week in the hospital, and he was back bumming rides.

Edited by _WindWalker_, 27 March 2015 - 05:07 PM.

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_WindWalker_, on 27 March 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Nice vid as always Magus, this plane is known to me as Harvard and was quite popular at air shows in the seventies.  had friend who would bum rides in any plane he could; he got ride in one of these, and while doing slow roll at 300 feet over the airfield and upside down the plane went into the ground.

The pilot an old WW2 vet was killed, luckily my friend was not seriously hurt, a week in the hospital, and he was back bumming rides.

I'm glad that your friend was none the worse for wear.  I'm sad that the vet perished in the crash, but at least it would be safe to say that the old guy died doing what he loved.

Not many of us will be so lucky.

Rockstone_ #9 Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
Roger that Magus.

Sassover #10 Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles
This plane has no business being classified as a GAA...it is a multi-role all the way. The Aussies used it as a trainer, and then pressed it into service as a ground support & "Emergency Fighter". The Hurricane IID would be a better fit as a GAA than the Wirraway....but as always, nice shoe horn job WG.

MagusGerhardt #11 Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 27 March 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

This plane has no business being classified as a GAA...it is a multi-role all the way. The Aussies used it as a trainer, and then pressed it into service as a ground support & "Emergency Fighter". The Hurricane IID would be a better fit as a GAA than the Wirraway....but as always, nice shoe horn job WG.

I think it's fine with the GAA designation; its primary function when pressed into service was close air support for ground forces, after all.

It just ceases being a functional attacker once you ditch the bombs; you're better off heading back to the furball and spoiling for a fight at that point.

I agree that the Hurricane IID needs to be returned to the attacker class it was historically and that it began life as in this game.  Whoever decided it should be a multirole fighter has gym socks and borsht for brains.

MagusGerhardt #12 Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_Warchylde_, on 27 March 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

Watched this yesterday on your YouTube channel, bro. Nicely done in all categories. 

I know first hand just how nimble this modified Texan really is, just barely surviving a dogfight with one the other day whilst flying my BeeVee (see my latest video "BeeVee on the Wild Side").

Still pissed off that work and a wonky UPS on my 'puter did not allow me to complete the Wirraway mission...I want one so badly...

I did catch that video and nicely done!  :honoring:

As I pointed out in my Immelmann Squadron ground attacker thread the Wirraway is a threat not to be ignored or overlooked.

Also tagged with Wirraway, TbM, Replay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users