Need throttle control

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

kellix45 #1 Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• 391 battles
  • [WORD] WORD
In every plane in WW2 had throttle control, also they had emergency boost. usually nitrous, it would be tons better than just thrust and slow down, let us control it. Also Flaps where to use as a air brake would be nice. Also if you ever put the P47 Thunderbolt on your next update. Or the XP72, the thunderbolts experimental. that could go 489MPH and had either 2 37MM cannons and 4 50 calibers, or 4 37MM cannons, Also Thunderbolts had more strength than Sturmoviks, why they made the A10 Thunderbolt 2  also called the Warthog in homage.

losttwo #2 Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Go to settings, explore the options.

I use the +/- keys to control my throttle.

8 boost

5 zero throttle

2 for flaps

all my keys are bound to the number pad since I am a left handed pilot

Edited by losttwo, 09 March 2015 - 10:38 PM.

ParanoiaXtreme_PRX #3 Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1203 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 09 March 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

8 boost

5 zero throttle

2 for flaps

also, joysticks have a little lever on them where you can get 1% incriments for throttle control

BrushWolf #4 Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:42 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 09 March 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

8 boost

5 zero throttle

2 for flaps

View PostMarith29, on 09 March 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

also, joysticks have a little lever on them where you can get 1% incriments for throttle control

Also a joystick that is more than good enough for this game can be purchased for $30 or less.

Edited by BrushWolf, 10 March 2015 - 05:10 PM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Pogo68 #5 Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

looks at the 8 inch throttle by his left hand bristling with buttons :unsure:....

Ohh that;s what that was for,  I thought it was the armrest!!

Seriously, I think you can set two of the keyboard keys to incrementally increase or lower the throttle.

Edited by Pogo68, 10 March 2015 - 05:45 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

RedSpartacus #6 Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

... and planes in the game don't perform in the same way like the originals.

RUN WITH THE PACK

DirtyWings #7 Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
TBH I have a joystick and I have tested many things with it.
The throttle control is available but I never use it.. The game is just too fast paced to be worried about controlling your throttle. It turned out to be more of a useless worry that made my performance drop.

The only good part with throttle control is if you leave it at 99% you practically go the same speed but your engine cools down faster.(I have not tested this patch.. I will later today and edit post to let you know if it still works.)

In my opinion Throttle control in this game is not worth it. The focus needed to use it properly takes away too much attention better used elsewhere.

Azis_ #8 Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1940 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostDirtyWings, on 10 March 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

TBH I have a joystick and I have tested many things with it.
The throttle control is available but I never use it.. The game is just too fast paced to be worried about controlling your throttle. It turned out to be more of a useless worry that made my performance drop.

The only good part with throttle control is if you leave it at 99% you practically go the same speed but your engine cools down faster.(I have not tested this patch.. I will later today and edit post to let you know if it still works.)

In my opinion Throttle control in this game is not worth it. The focus needed to use it properly takes away too much attention better used elsewhere.

I don't think you are doing it right.

Throttle is the primary control for best maneuvering not only in real world situation, but also every flight sim/arcade game I have ever played. Even in WoWp this mechanic is one I feel they have got right IE: When the throttle is retarded or advanced, the engine speed (RPM) actually ramps up or down and is not instant, just like in the real world.

One of the first lessons in pilot training is:

Pitch for airspeed (elevator)

Power for altitude (throttle)

I have not nor will I, fly with KB/m, however I imagine using the airbrake might afford the same function. Using the airbrake simply sets the throttle to zero, so I have no use for it as I have immediate control over my throttle and simply move my paddle.

Flaps are useful as well but does not perform the same as throttle will. Try flying straight and level, then extend flaps, the plane will climb which causes airspeed to drop. Try the same thing in a dive and you will need to nose over to stay on target and airspeed will not be bled at the same rate as using throttle.

Look at any configuration of any fighter, nearly all have a stick in the middle, and throttle on the left. Right hand on the stick the left stays on the throttle.

Even with my Joystick, my left hand is on the base to use the buttons assigned and the throttle, the right hand on the stick.

I invite anyone who has not worked with or does not use throttle to hook up and we can hop in a training room. I would bet I can convince ya and likely add a new trick to your bag.

Edited by Azis_, 10 March 2015 - 09:44 PM.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

kellix45 #9 Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Master Sergeant

• 391 battles
  • [WORD] WORD

View Postlosttwo, on 09 March 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

8 boost

5 zero throttle

2 for flaps

I have a joystick and have no problem playing, the thing is OK in WW2 all planes on both sides had emergency boost. Like Nitrous. but it was like a band on the throttle once you broke that band, your done. Its not like afterburners, where you can decide ok on off, on off. Once you hit it, your done. See. It was mainly for getting away or catching someone. Also if you used it, pretty much your engine was trashed, they would have to replace it.

Edited by kellix45, 12 March 2015 - 09:19 PM.

GeorgePatton #10 Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostAzis_, on 10 March 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I don't think you are doing it right.

Throttle is the primary control for best maneuvering not only in real world situation, but also every flight sim/arcade game I have ever played. Even in WoWp this mechanic is one I feel they have got right.

I am a real-life pilot, and I can tell you, the throttle representation in this game is really useless. You have 3 options - engine off, full power, boost. Yeah, you can get those 1% increments with a joystick, but they don't do you any good. Using 20% power is not noticeably different from using 60% power and 60% is not noticeably different from 80%, etc.

Try to maintain a formation at a set airspeed - you really can't. To maintain a formation you really have to make sure your flight's aircraft are precisely the same in terms of modules and equipment and crew skills to ensure you'll both go the same speed. Really silly.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

kellix45 #11 Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

Master Sergeant

• 391 battles
  • [WORD] WORD

View PostGeorgePatton, on 12 March 2015 - 10:43 PM, said:

I am a real-life pilot, and I can tell you, the throttle representation in this game is really useless. You have 3 options - engine off, full power, boost. Yeah, you can get those 1% increments with a joystick, but they don't do you any good. Using 20% power is not noticeably different from using 60% power and 60% is not noticeably different from 80%, etc.

Try to maintain a formation at a set airspeed - you really can't. To maintain a formation you really have to make sure your flight's aircraft are precisely the same in terms of modules and equipment and crew skills to ensure you'll both go the same speed. Really silly.

Cheers!
Glenn

Thank you for your input, I knew someone on here had to notice that too.

Azis_ #12 Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1940 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostGeorgePatton, on 12 March 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

Cheers!
Glenn

I am also a real life pilot and A&P, and while not as realistic, the throttle in game is useful for me, and yes i can slow and maintain a constant airspeed although it does take some thinking about and a bit of practice.

I know few if anyone really has even tried it, however, I have several hours logged in the training room just joyriding, but....I guess I will just keep this opinion to myself....

Peace

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

DirtyWings #13 Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS

View PostAzis_, on 13 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

I am also a real life pilot and A&P, and while not as realistic, the throttle in game is useful for me, and yes i can slow and maintain a constant airspeed although it does take some thinking about and a bit of practice.

I know few if anyone really has even tried it, however, I have several hours logged in the training room just joyriding, but....I guess I will just keep this opinion to myself....

Peace

But I can also get that exact same result just using boost and throttling down to 0.  
EX: Im on your tail about 500m behind.. you throttle down to 75%.. What I then will do will be checking the distance between me and you and throttle down to 0% for half a second every 2 seconds in order to keep the same distance from you.

It can give you an advantage but it is so minimal that the learning curve and focus needed is not worth it to me for such small improvement.
I just cant see myself going back to throttle control.

BTW your opinion is always good. I am sure that kelix would want to hear from both sides.
:honoring:

Azis_ #14 Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1940 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Thx DW and I do agree the same thing can be accomplished bouncing from full/boost to 0%/airbrake

I simiply have always used the throttle from all the MS flight sims, to arcades like Crimson Skies and XvT....so...it is natural for me already. But I understand there is a definite learning curve that may not be worth the extra bit if any advantage, to develop.

It is still a fun test or experiment to do some joyriding in the training room, check out the sand box maps, and do some laps in the pattern at one of the bases doing touch n go's :playing:

Edited by Azis_, 13 March 2015 - 08:13 PM.

GeorgePatton #15 Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:19 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostAzis_, on 13 March 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Thx DW and I do agree the same thing can be accomplished bouncing from full/boost to 0%/airbrake

I simiply have always used the throttle from all the MS flight sims, to arcades like Crimson Skies and XvT....so...it is natural for me already. But I understand there is a definite learning curve that may not be worth the extra bit if any advantage, to develop.

It is still a fun test or experiment to do some joyriding in the training room, check out the sand box maps, and do some laps in the pattern at one of the bases doing touch n go's :playing:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say your opinion was worthless - I agree with you that the throttle is useful to an extent, but I don't think it is really effective enough to warrant pulling my HOTAS Warthog out. For turning, using 0%, and boost with flaps is all you really need. For chasing somebody, 0% + flaps if they're trying to force an overshoot, 100% if you're faster than them, use the flaps if you're getting too close, and boost if you're falling behind. Anything in between really isn't worth bothering with due to the extremely unrealistic physics in this game. Not that there's anything wrong with the physics from a gameplay standpoint (well, I kinda think there is...) but I just don't find it worth bothering with the throttle. To each his own, though!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Azis_ #16 Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1940 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

And I have no real argument with that GP, as I stated I am simply well adapted to using the throttle and if I had to learn mouse and KB, well I simply won't/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users