Zapperguy custom carousel icon mod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Zapperguy #1 Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32140 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

This is a repost of an old thread of mine which is now locked. I've updated the info for today's 1.7.0 patch.

I use custom skins for a few of my planes, but wanted the little picture in the carousel to look like the actual plane. While you can't make the small picture change automatically when you switch skins, you can either modify the current carousel pic or use one of your own. It involves working with dds files so if you are not familiar with them, take a minute to read the skinning thread. It also involves working with pkg files which are discussed at length in some of the mod threads. You need to come to the table with these skills, I'm not rehashing the how-to threads here.

To find the carousel pics, follow this path: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res\packages\gui.pkg\flash\icons\hangarCarousel\planes

Remember to back-up any files you plan to edit, especially if you mod these directly without using the res_mods folder. Modifying the original file within the pkg file, while possible, is not recommended.

With today's patch, the latest path (for Russian planes) to put your customized icons in .dds format is as follows:

C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res_mods\1.7.0\gui\flash\icons\hangarCarousel\planes\ussr

The folders for the 5 countries currently in game are: china, gb, ger, jap, usa, ussr

The image size is 192px x 104px.

I have several custom carousel icons pictured here

As a side note, changing your carousel pic also changes the pics in your "Service Record". Looks pretty cool.

I recommend that you take these screens in a team training room with only a single low tier bot on the other team to lessen the chances of getting slaughtered while your plane is posing for pics. Pressing Home in game removes your HUD completely - simply repeat to put it back after your pics. Once the HUD is removed just right click your mouse, and try to match the general angle that is used in the carousel pics. I recommend using a darker backdrop such as water in the lower left corner. The x2 are really hard to see with light colored skies, snow, and sand as backgrounds. I've posted a couple of pics below to show you what I mean about color. It is a tedious process but it does look cool once you get most of your planes done.

Screenshot of Hangar with various background colors in carousel (darker background makes the plane model and x2 show up better)

IL-20 Icon with custom skin

Note the background color on the AR 65 icon pic - it really is a little too light.

Ar 65 Icon with gift skin

I don't share my carousel icons for two reasons:

• The pics are customized with the skins/emblems/etc that I like/use. Seeing an unfamiliar skin on a custom icon doesn't help anybody find their plane.
  • This is tedious work. I'm happy to post like this to help others, but I'm not doing the work for you. 

Have fun.

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

losttwo #2 Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
That is friggin awesome...The IL-20 :honoring:

Zapperguy #3 Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32140 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View Postlosttwo, on 19 February 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

That is friggin awesome...The IL-20 :honoring:

I'll happily give you a link to that skin and a couple others I did.

http://tinyurl.com/k7laaoa

To use the skins, simply unzip the mod folder and drop the "vehicles" folder into your C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res_mods\1.7.0 folder.

Make sure when you unzipped it that it didn't create a vehicles folder inside a vehicles folder. If it did, copy the internal vehicles folder and use that.

Skins included:

I-16(l) NSFW (if your work frowns on naked Marge Simpson)

LBSh (Partridge Family)

IL-20 (Zebra Skin)

Remember skins are client-side which means nobody but the person using them sees them. Even if you don't have any of these 3 planes, the mod will still work when you face these planes or have them on your team. You will see those 3 planes with the modded skins whenever you encounter them.

Enjoy.

Edited by Zapperguy, 24 February 2015 - 04:38 PM.

Zapperguy #4 Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32140 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Just bumping this thread in case anybody missed it amidst the flurry of patch issue threads. I've created a direct link in my previous post for my skin collection rather than making you jump through hoops as WG won't let me link to my file host directly.

Happy modding!

Zapperguy #5 Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32140 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I lazily made a few skins for the Fw 189C.

FW 189C Photo Album

Edited by Zapperguy, 09 March 2015 - 02:29 PM.

Zapperguy #6 Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32140 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

If anyone wants to try the Fw 189 Skins from the album above, the links are below. They are set up to be used as mods; therefore, no original game files will be changed by trying them. Inside each zipped file is a "res_mods" folder. Simply copy that folder and paste it into your main WoWP directory: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes

Windows will ask if you want to merge the res_mod folder with the existing one - you do, click "Yes" to merge the folders. You will have the same prompt for the folder 1.7.0, again click "Yes" to merge the 1.7.0 folders.

You may need to restart the game to see the skin in your hangar, but that's it - instant eye candy.

Fw189C Clown Skin

Fw189C Brown Skin

Fw189C Blue Skin

Fw189C Checkerboard Skin

To remove the mod, simply browse to C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res_mods\1.7.0 and delete the "vehicles" folder. The mod is gone.

ScorchTrials_ #7 Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5972 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

ScorchTrials_.png

Also tagged with Zapperguy, custom, carousel, icon, mod

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users