• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #21 Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
-Double post, cursed browser back button triggering autofill-

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 23 February 2015 - 07:11 AM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Traurig_Yoda #22 Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
It's too bad you couldn't use the full video in the contest, both of the videos you recorded are excellent, however the full is much more telling!!

TeamTerrible #23 Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

First Lieutenant

• 239 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The Fw-189-C may be one ugly looking contraption, however after a few flights invested I must say it has a smooth feel to it.

This plane in my opinion would be a fine pick up to either learn or to enhance your bombing skills.

_Warchylde_ #24 Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I love mine. Trying to grind out the Stuka atm  but unless I want to screw around with the Henschel, I won't be eliting the Uhu any time soon. 

Edited by _Warchylde_, 27 February 2015 - 02:28 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

MagusGerhardt #25 Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_Warchylde_, on 27 February 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

I love mine. Trying to grind out the Stuka atm  but unless I want to screw around with the Henschel, I won't be eliting the Uhu any time soon. 

Well, even if you don't buy the Dodo, it only takes a little more than 5k xp to research it.  Once you have the Stuka that means 3 or 4 days of middling to decent doubles on a premium account, with no "grind time".  Shouldn't take too long before the Uhu is flown purely to make cash (its bombs and ammo are cheap) and train the crew.

On the note of training the crew; my Uhu has its own pilot, but I shift the 265 gunner over into the back seat so the pilot can benefit from the gunner's 100% Tutor ability.  Haven't noticed an appreciable drop in the gunner's effectiveness at 75%, though enemies have noticed the sightrange, sharpshooter and long reach abilities he has.

I generally net about 15-25k credits per match of profit in the Uhu.  How do you guys fare?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Traurig_Yoda #26 Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_Warchylde_, on 27 February 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

pretty sure you'll love the stuka, it is a lot of fun!

Tophatfire #27 Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I'm finding the economics of these to be a little annoying, specifically the way air to air dmg and kills are not well rewarded.  It seems obvious that attacking other GAs was part of the design intent for these especially since you can't keep up with an IL with more bombs/rockets in a supremacy race.  But doing so earns so little credits and XP...

I understand the reasons for the current economics trying to incentivize certain types of play and disincentivize others on the RU server, but that system seems mismatched to the current game.

_Warchylde_ #28 Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostTraurig_Yoda, on 27 February 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

pretty sure you'll love the stuka, it is a lot of fun!

I do indeed Yoda. Right now I'm trying to grind out the last engine.

I find myself going air-to-air more often than I like, because as soon as I hit a GT, I get jumped upon ("Ooh, ooh, I wanna shoot me a Stuka!!"). 

I'm still waiting for match where I can do what this plane was designed to do, rather than fight a defensive air battle all the time.  Perhaps when the novelty wears off a little.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 01 March 2015 - 01:22 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

MagusGerhardt #29 Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_Warchylde_, on 01 March 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

Perhaps when the novelty wears off a little.

I doubt this will ever happen.  WC, when was the last time you saw an IL get spotted on a map and 25%-33% of the team *didn't* immediately go after it?

Olaffe #30 Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 26 battles

How hard is it to hit planes with the 50s on the Ju 88?  I am really anxious to get the Me 265 right away, but am short on xp, and am wondering if I would even like the 50s on the Ju 88?  I don't like ground pounding much, rather I can't keep from dog fighting.  I like the idea of these "low heavy" german planes.  

Edited by Billpatty, 01 March 2015 - 06:03 PM.

MagusGerhardt #31 Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBillpatty, on 01 March 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

How hard is it to hit planes with the 50s on the Ju 88?  I am really anxious to get the Me 265 right away, but am short on xp, and am wondering if I would even like the 50s on the Ju 88?  I don't like ground pounding much, rather I can't keep from dog fighting.  I like the idea of these "low heavy" german planes.  

It's actually pretty hard.  If you want to go air to air in combat with the Junkers Ju.88P you are best served by the 37mm BK; there are two of them, they are placed centerline with the fuselage, their rate of fire is a bit faster and they refuse to overheat.

The 50mm is great for splatting something every now and then, but it only works if your target gives you a good shot and isn't flying erratically.  Even then, chances are good that they will fly between the shells due to the delay from one round to the next.  I've found the best shots for hitting with the 50mm are direct line head-on and tail-on shots.  The only time I've been able to hit regularly while turning in a dogfight situation is against large slow moving targets like an IL-2t or another Ju.88.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

Olaffe #32 Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 26 battles
Thanks a bunch!!  I watched someone trying to hit an IL and it was awful, not that the player was bad, mind you. When the bullets do hit it's devestating.  I may eventually get those 50's, but not in the forseable future. I'm saving credits for that 265, I think I will love it!

Edited by Billpatty, 01 March 2015 - 11:07 PM.

dmarsha9 #33 Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostRock18, on 01 March 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

I'm finding the economics of these to be a little annoying, specifically the way air to air dmg and kills are not well rewarded.  It seems obvious that attacking other GAs was part of the design intent for these especially since you can't keep up with an IL with more bombs/rockets in a supremacy race.  But doing so earns so little credits and XP...

I understand the reasons for the current economics trying to incentivize certain types of play and disincentivize others on the RU server, but that system seems mismatched to the current game.

This is my only real gripe with the new line

MagusGerhardt #34 Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:22 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdmarsha9, on 01 March 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

This is my only real gripe with the new line

Indeed.  The purposeful and working-as-intended change to Attacker meta with the release of this new line necessitates a change to the previous aircraft damage to xp gained ratio nerf.

Hey Devs!  You want us to spend half our time going air to air with these things?  Then reward us for it equally with the fighters and the heavies!

MagusGerhardt #35 Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:57 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Dawning of the almost Jet Age

Just acquired my Geist today; took a little longer because I was spending time flying things other than my 265 Schreck; lots of time in my premiums and other high profit margin aircraft to finance the eventual 2.6 million credit purchase of this beast, the armor plating, reinforced covering, gyroscopic site and the upgrades for it that I already had researched, like the MK108 cannons and the big DB engines that push this thing through the sky.  I also had 20k of my free xp set aside to immediately upgrade the tailgunner position.  I don't want to fly this thing around with a glorified machine gun sticking out of the back.  I had quite enough of that when flying my BSh-1 and do not need any more.

Comparing these two bat winged monsters the 329 is much faster and packs a bigger gun punch than the 265, but still carries the same measly 250kg bombs.  I've trained a pilot specifically for this aircraft, but will be swapping in my 265's gunner without retraining to operate at 75% efficiency so he can bring along his Sightrange, Tutor, Sharpshooter and Long Reach skills to help out the Officer Cadet pilot he's stuck with.

I look forward to many exciting battles with this thing; I hope it is as effective at hunting down MooCows and 40s as it was on the CT server!

MagusGerhardt #36 Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Attacker pilots; I'm sure many of you have already gone through this particular aircraft, but here is my guide to the Uhu for those who have not yet touched the aircraft, who still have it in their hangars, or who free xp'ed past it and would like to revisit it someday as a possible crew trainer/credit grinder.

Shoutouts go to FlakValleyExpress and Vradin for their appearances in this battle!

Jupiter_Rex #37 Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles

Since I focus primarily on flying GA aircraft, I decided to give the German line a try. I made a rare exception to my rule against spending Free XP for new planes and used Free XP to skip the FW57 grind and immediately get the FW 189. I have been flying it ever since and am still getting used to the new GA line, but I am already starting to appreciate the flexibility it offers. I cannot wait to get the Stuka and Ju-88, among the other new offerings.

With that being said, you did great work on the Uhu video. You paired the video with a good explanation on what to equip it with and how to fly it for the best results. Of course I will have to fly many battles and learn through experience to build competence with the Uhu, but this video makes for a good visual aid. I may find myself reviewing it more than once as I work towards the Stuka and Elite status for the Uhu.

Thanks for making the video, Magus! :honoring:

MagusGerhardt #38 Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Thanks, Jupiter; I hope the video is of use to you; that's why I made it.  Also, if you didn't see it, the YT page for this video has elaboration on a few points I didn't carry through in the video; the action was happening so quickly in that furball that I lost track of what I had covered and what I hadn't.

Also, if you have not yet bound a "pitch up" key I highly suggest that you do and you place it close to your yaw/roll hotkeys; use of up pitch is completely necessary in dogfighting with these attackers.   I was not yet using this key in that video; there's several kills I would have secured without having to clothesline the enemy plane.

Also, for anyone that hasn't spent gold on their Uhu for camo and are getting tired of the grey hangar paint, Hawkeyededic made this excellent skin.  It is an HD retooling of one of the in-game camos; the one that grants no bonus on any map type.  It's a good looking paint scheme, in my opinion, and I would rather the Summer paint have been it instead of that semi-desert scheme.

Contact Hawkeyededic if you'd like this skin for yourself.

Azis_ #39 Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3744 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Nicely done and great info Magus!

I do like and agree with the description of this line as "Multirole Attack". This line really created a perfect niche for me since I never could gain a liking for the IL's, therefore, never even became efficient. Prior to this line I flew my Beau in much the same role as you describe except the priority being A2A rather than GT's, but still having intention of seeking enemy GA and GT.

My first of the line was the ME 265, then the ME 329 and just added the JU 88. My daughter has the Uhu so I have had the chance to fly it as well.

One thing I did not hear you mention in strategy was if there is another GA/IL on your side?

Personally I think the IL line is better equipped for GT's so in this case, I either hunt enemy GA or cover and assist my own...

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

MagusGerhardt #40 Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostAzis_, on 20 March 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

One thing I did not hear you mention in strategy was if there is another GA/IL on your side?

Personally I think the IL line is better equipped for GT's so in this case, I either hunt enemy GA or cover and assist my own...

I think I did mention that team support is a role these things excel at.  If there's an attacker on your team that is superior at taking out GTs, let them.  Give them close support, keep their tail clear, and vulture all the damaged targets they leave behind unless there's a strategic reason to leave them.  (Later supremacy resets, etc)

Also tagged with attack aircraft, German, Tactics, Social, Flights, Videos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users