• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Azis_ #41 Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3744 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

:great:

Rgr!

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

MagusGerhardt #42 Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:54 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Threat Assessment:  The Australian Wirraway attack aircraft.

There's a more complete listing of my findings on the Wirraway in the Community Creations thread for this video.  I'll review here how I see things playing out with it vs the German attacks at eligible tiers.

At tier III your Ha.137 or Ha.137 V-1 are direct competitors to this aircraft.  My advice in dealing with it in an ideal fashion would be to goad it into a head-on attack on first approach.  Even if it is carrying bombs it will keep pace with you in a turn and slightly edge you out, all things being equal in pilot skill.  Failing the kill with gunfire you would be justified in driving your engine through the Wirraway's wing.  If the pilot is decent it won't get off your tail after this initial pass.  The Wirraway is the only other attacker that can outdo you in a aerial knife fight so prioritize their destruction over other GAAs.

At tier IV the Eule (formerly Uhu) has less to worry about than the Bee Vee but the Wirraway can still be a real thorn in the side for this attacker.  The Wirraway will be nearly impossible to shake once it gets on your tail so definitely make the attempt to kill it in that first head-on approach with guns or full contact or alternately ambush the Wirraway while it's either bombing or attacking something else.  Neither its forward guns or tailgunner will do much to you but if the Wirraway knows what's up they'll be using incendiary or API ammo so it can do a decent amount of damage to you purely from the DoT of fire.  Don't follow too closely; the bombs pack a wallop and is the one thing the Wirraway has that can knock you out of the battle instantly.

Tier V is the highest tier of the German attackers that can see the Wirraway as a normal matter of course without poor flight makeup for the Wirraway.

First is the Junkers Ju.87D-G.  You're faster than the Wirraway in both of these and have superior forward and rear firing guns.  Use slow motion boom and zoom or energy fighting against the Aussie; avoid his bombs.  The Stuka should have an easy time of it against the Wirraway.

The poor Henschel Hs.129B, however, has the same problem as the IL-2 versus the Wirraway.  You are slow.  You have no rear gunner.  You have a very dangerous front end and you can't turn for crap compared to the Wirraway.  The Wirraway is to be avoided or killed at all costs on that first pass because you are patently unable to do a single thing about it once he's on your tail.  Unless someone comes to your rescue your goose is cooked; it doesn't matter that you have 700+ hitpoints -- that just means it will take that Wirraway a *long* time to kill you...but it's as inevitable as taxes.  You don't even have the bombs for self defense that an IL-2 is given.  Keep an eye on the sky for Wirraways when you're in the Hs.129.  If you see one coming for you, alert your team to your impending need for assistance and try your best to kill the Wirraway with an intercepting 37 or 30mm shell.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MagusGerhardt #43 Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 870 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Archiving my updated thoughts on the tier V Henschel Hs.129B Duck.  These notes are from a different thread in this subforum, but I thought them worth recording here, for the sake of completion.

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 04 April 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

I will admit; I have kept my Hs.129B Dodo...being a compulsive collector saved it from the chopping block.  In the process of knocking out doubles on it I realize I may have been a bit harsh on the poor Duck/Dodo.  It is a very effective GT killer...you're just dependent upon a team to protect you or serendipity if you are caught alone by the enemy.

View PostHoH_Wolfblitz, on 04 April 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Though I don't fly GA that much, I plan to pick up the Hs129 at some point just because I gotta have 'em all.

Do you fly it with the top cannons or with the bombs? Seems that without a TG, the bombs might be useful. Does that limit its ability to finish GTs too much?

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 05 April 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Bombs are not useful on the Hs.129B for two reasons:

1.  They are the tier II SC50 bombs used by the Ao.192 tier II heavy fighter and useless against tier V-VII hardened ground targets.  Their explosive radius also renders them mostly useless for tailgater defense due to the optimal engagement range of aircraft guns at tier V.

2.  Mounting the bombs keeps you from carrying the Duck's main gun, which is what you will need to take down hardened targets and tier V+ aircraft in a single head on pass.  Remember; without the Mk103 30mm or 37mm BK you only have a pair of 20mm and a pair of 7.92mm MGs on this crate; barely sufficient to take down unarmored AA guns in a timely manner.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Also tagged with attack aircraft, German, Tactics, Social, Flights, Videos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users