CT 1.7 German Ground Attack aircraft feedback.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

GhostPrime #1 Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1540 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
What are your opinions on the new line of German aircraft? Leave your comments here!

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Shut_Up_and_FLY #2 Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10645 battles

OK, so I spent a couple hours on the CT, and here are my 1st impressions of the German GAAs that I have either flown, or flown against:

Please note that these are just my 1st impressions, and will require more extensive play once all the furor settles down (30x  FW-189C Uhu in a single battle is not representative.)

TIER IV - FW-189C Uhu :  I really, REALLY like this plane.  Picture a slightly slower, less maneuverable  BSh, complete with a tailgunner and a pair of 20mm cannons.  I have only gotten to fly it properly in one battle so far, because when you are in a 15 v 15 and EVERYONE is flying an Uhu, you can forget even thinking about attacking a GT, because everyone is trying to kill each other, and the world's slowest dogfight ensues.  I can see a lot of people preferring this to the BSh at Tier IV...I know I will. 

NOTE: Enjoy the bombs while you have them....you don't get them again until Tier VII, unless you go with the Henschel HS-129 instead of the JU-87 G Stuka, and forego mounting the derp cannon outboard.

TIER V - JU-87 G Stuka :  I didn't fly this with the 20mms, I went straight to the derp cannons, so my comments about maneuverability are biased towards the 37mm version.   The BK 3.7 has probably the slowest rate of fire I have ever seen in this game, but DAMN if those babies don't hit like a runaway freight train!!!  The only thing this plane needs is some bombs (even a couple of SC-50s for pity's sake), and here's why: 1) It's VERY slow (slower than any IL), and can not turn worth a damn with those huge derp cannons hanging underneath, and 2) the slow rate of fire makes it almost (not I said almost) impossible to hit even a slow moving GA. 

So it really can not defend itself, other than the TG, so even if they were only to discourage trailing fighters, I believe the bombs are a necessity (It's a STUKA for pity's sake!!).

I did not fly the Tier V Henschel HS-129 yet, so I have no opinion at this time.

TIER VI - Junkers JU-88 P : If you like cannons, then this is the plane for you.  The stock version carries the same two BK 3.7 37mms that are on the Stuka. These can be upgraded to a single BK 5 50 mm (which I have not done yet), this makes it a one-gun plane (again, no bombs), but this plane is much faster and more maneuverable than the Stuka.  I upgraded everything on the plane except for the cannons, and easily scored 96 pts for a Thunder.  The Tier VII 16 pt ships can be taken down to 25% in a single pass, but the Tier VII 32 pt ships took several passes from two JU-88 Ps in order to go down.  All 4 battles I have had in it have all been against Tier VII targets, so I'm sure that this will be a killer at level tier....   I'm curious as to how the 50mm will perform....we shall see.

TIER VII - Messerschmitt ME-265 :   I have not yet purchased, nor flown this plane yet, but I have faced it in a few battles so far.

Plain and simple, this plane scares the crap outta me.  This plane flies like an ME 410, and packs a bigger punch.

I was in my ME-410, and boomed down at 750 kph on one,  hit him with some burst radius damage from a rocket, put a decent 2 second burst into him, then zoomed away at a 75% angle at full boost. This sucker lifted his nose, and climbed right up with me to well over 1000 meters, and smoked me in about 4 seconds flat, despite my evasive twisting.  This is one scary friggin plane.

OK, that's all I have for now, other than a couple of general notes:

THE SOUNDS ARE BACK!!!!  Engines sound awesome again, and not only can you hear enemy fire hitting your plane once more, but you can actually distinguish between MG and cannon fire. :)

The new maps are gorgeous (I especially like the new Observatory map), but will take some time getting used to the tactics involved for each.

Peace,
War

Edited by _Warchylde_, 02 February 2015 - 11:09 PM.

"Genius may have its limitations,

but Stupidity is not thus handicapped."

- Elbert Hubbard

GeorgePatton #3 Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:46 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7411 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

They are good until tier 7.

They just don't have enough punch tier 7+, and the lack of rockets is really noticeable. The TGs are really underpowered compared to the USSR tier 7+ as well. Especially on the tier 9 which has less hitting power than the IL-40 which has less guns. I don't know what's up with that.

Also, tier 5 bombs on a tier 10 plane? Let's get something a little bigger going on there.

Cheers!
Glenn

GiN_nTonic #4 Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:09 AM

Captain

• 19315 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Just reading this bit about the Stuka makes me think the difference between our population and short matches vs in RU server might create a real disparity.  In a short match, like we have now with MM, its hard to take too specific of an aircraft and succeed.

Straight GA won't work well on the NA.

Augery #5 Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4409 battles

My thoughts are below, with the caveat that I haven't played much ground attack since beta.

Fw 189C - I don't have much to say about this aircraft, I think it's fine as it is, turns well and is fast enough. I think it is a bit weak at hitting ground targets but can defend itself well against aircraft

Ju-87G - Very good ground attack aircraft with the 37mm cannons, I especially like the rapid cool down on the guns. I would argue this is the best GA at tier V but balanced by being very fragile. For some reason I found that I could only consistently hit aircraft if I aimed way in front of the lead indicator.

Hs-129 - I would argue is pointless, it has less firepower and maneuverability than the Stuka as well as no tail gunner. I would argue that the extra 200 hp over the Stuka don't make up for those deficits. I can't imagine many people taking this route to the Ju-88P. Having said that it is still good at GA, and the 20mm guns give more consistent damage against aircraft although with the poor maneuverability they don't stay in my sights for long. Also it wasn't necessary to research the 30mm gun to unlock the 37mm although I did have to research it before I unlocked the Ju-88P

Ju-88P - Stock it reminded me of the Fw-57 but worse against aircraft and better against ground targets (except for the lack of bombs). With the 50mm cannon it becomes excellent at hitting ground targets but it is very difficult to hit aircraft, although when it does hit it does well. I took a corsair from full health down to 40 odd hp in one hit.It can't put up much fight against enemy aircraft though so i reckon it is fine as is.

Me-265 - This aircraft is a bit too powerful imho, the boost on this aircraft is intense. I can second what Warchylde said above. A P-38J dove on me, after it passed I chased it up at about a 60 degree angle and was able to close the distance from 800m to 350ish this was starting at about 1200m altitude as well so I was well above the optimal zone for this aircraft. Below 1000m heavy fighters can't escape from this aircraft, I was even able to force an F7F to stall simply by boosting straight up with it on my tail. The only thing that balances this out is that the guns are a bit average for ground attack. I'd like to see the boost reduced a little somehow, either in the power output or the duration. Having said that it is really fun racing around low to the ground at 600km/hr.

Me-329 - Basically feels like a slightly improved Me-265, I think it is about right for this tier. Still able to compete with heavy fighters down low but can't dominate them as the 265 can. It is a bit weak at hitting ground targets.

Me-(P.?)1099 - I think this aircraft is a bit weak at hitting ground targets, particularly armoured targets. This aircraft does okay against fighters and heavies at low altitudes thanks to its boost. I was able to force a stall in a J7W2 in the same manner I did for the F7F above. But this main strength is its 900km/hr escape speed in dive and with boost. It often wont be enough to escape cleanly but it will take your attackers to friendly AA or fighters. Oddly enough the Soviet GAA are starting to get challenging it seems like the IL-40's Tail Gunner+Hit points is greater than the Me-1099's forward guns+hit points although might only be a product of my poor test server accuracy. Generally though the IL-40's were able to double the supremacy points of the German's. I think this aircraft could get a bit of a buff to its ground attack ability.

Me-P.1102 - I found this a bit meh to be honest. It is severely lacking in ordinance to back up its guns in the ground attack role and even at low altitudes I struggle to compete against most tier ten aircraft. Like the 1099 I struggled against armoured targets once my bombs were gone, however even non-armoured targets were more time consuming than in previous tiers particularly tier 8 and below. I also didn't like that the tail gunner got weaker from tier 9 to 10, it really doesn't provide much of a deterrent to attackers. While on paper this is faster than the 1099 I failed to notice the increase in speed. I was still hitting 900ish in a dive and cruising between 400 and 550 km/hr. However, I have only played a few games in this aircraft so I may be missing something that will make it decent.

Edited by Augery, 03 February 2015 - 02:08 PM.

Fuzzybrainlizard #6 Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7316 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

ME-265 is one plane the game needed.  When used solely for ground attack it is well balanced.  I can see it as an IL killer and more than a match for the IL-10.  Gun dispersion takes a little getting used to.  But all in all, my favorite new addition. 

The Ju-87 G needs bombs. 

The Ju-88 P reminds me a lot of the premium 110 but with a monster of a gun.   It is another plane that will need a help when going for GTs.

Fuzzybrainlizard

oldiowaguy #7 Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15560 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostAugery, on 03 February 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

My thoughts are below, with the caveat that I haven't played much ground attack since beta.

Fw 189C - I don't have much to say about this aircraft, I think it's fine as it is, turns well and is fast enough. I think it is a bit weak at hitting ground targets but can defend itself well against aircraft

Ju-87G - Very good ground attack aircraft with the 37mm cannons, I especially like the rapid cool down on the guns. I would argue this is the best GA at tier V but balanced by being very fragile. For some reason I found that I could only consistently hit aircraft if I aimed way in front of the lead indicator.

Hs-129 - I would argue is pointless, it has less firepower and maneuverability than the Stuka as well as no tail gunner. I would argue that the extra 200 hp over the Stuka don't make up for those deficits. I can't imagine many people taking this route to the Ju-88P. Having said that it is still good at GA, and the 20mm guns give more consistent damage against aircraft although with the poor maneuverability they don't stay in my sights for long. Also it wasn't necessary to research the 30mm gun to unlock the 37mm although I did have to research it before I unlocked the Ju-88P

Ju-88P - Stock it reminded me of the Fw-57 but worse against aircraft and better against ground targets (except for the lack of bombs). With the 50mm cannon it becomes excellent at hitting ground targets but it is very difficult to hit aircraft, although when it does hit it does well. I took a corsair from full health down to 40 odd hp in one hit.It can't put up much fight against enemy aircraft though so i reckon it is fine as is.

Me-265 - This aircraft is a bit too powerful imho, the boost on this aircraft is intense. I can second what Warchylde said above. A P-38J dove on me, after it passed I chased it up at about a 60 degree angle and was able to close the distance from 800m to 350ish this was starting at about 1200m altitude as well so I was well above the optimal zone for this aircraft. Below 1000m heavy fighters can't escape from this aircraft, I was even able to force an F7F to stall simply by boosting straight up with it on my tail. The only thing that balances this out is that the guns are a bit average for ground attack. I'd like to see the boost reduced a little somehow, either in the power output or the duration. Having said that it is really fun racing around low to the ground at 600km/hr.

Me-329 - Basically feels like a slightly improved Me-265, I think it is about right for this tier. Still able to compete with heavy fighters down low but can't dominate them as the 265 can. It is a bit weak at hitting ground targets.

Me-(P.?)1099 - I think this aircraft is a bit weak at hitting ground targets, particularly armoured targets. This aircraft does okay against fighters and heavies at low altitudes thanks to its boost. I was able to force a stall in a J7W2 in the same manner I did for the F7F above. But this main strength is its 900km/hr escape speed in dive and with boost. It often wont be enough to escape cleanly but it will take your attackers to friendly AA or fighters. Oddly enough the Soviet GAA are starting to get challenging it seems like the IL-40's Tail Gunner+Hit points is greater than the Me-1099's forward guns+hit points although might only be a product of my poor test server accuracy. Generally though the IL-40's were able to double the supremacy points of the German's. I think this aircraft could get a bit of a buff to its ground attack ability.

Me-P.1102 - I found this a bit meh to be honest. It is severely lacking in ordinance to back up its guns in the ground attack role and even at low altitudes I struggle to compete against most tier ten aircraft. Like the 1099 I struggled against armoured targets once my bombs were gone, however even non-armoured targets were more time consuming than in previous tiers particularly tier 8 and below. I also didn't like that the tail gunner got weaker from tier 9 to 10, it really doesn't provide much of a deterrent to attackers. While on paper this is faster than the 1099 I failed to notice the increase in speed. I was still hitting 900ish in a dive and cruising between 400 and 550 km/hr. However, I have only played a few games in this aircraft so I may be missing something that will make it decent.

Very good analysis! I agree with it.

Have to disagree with Fuzzy about the 265 being more than a match for the IL 10. I did well in my 10 against them..

The Ju-88 rips through gts with the 50mm. It will definately have a permanant spot in my hangar.

HZero #8 Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 6100 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

FW 189 Uhu -  The real question at this tier is why we are getting a rare plane that never advanced beyond the prototype stage when there are so many iconic and well produced ground attack aircraft that would be a better fit at this tier.   In terms of gameplay, the 20mm cannons overheat too quickly, and the plane in general comes across as feeling very mediocre, especially compared to the Bsh or even the LBsh-1.

Heinkel 129 B - I'm not even sure why anyone would want to unlock this plane.  It is inferior in every way to the Stuka.  The extra hit points do not make up for the lack of a tailgunner, the slower speed, and the hideous maneuverability.

Stuka - This is the prototype of what this line could and should be.  It doesn't need bombs because the cannons are excellent.  And it flies quite well at low altitudes.  Climb rate could be buffed a bit, its hard to get a good attack angle sometimes because of the lack of climbing ability.

Ju-88P -  Incredible plane.  Another good example of hitting the mark with this line.  Again, great ground attack ability and decent flight characteristics.

Me 265 - I can't wrap my head around a failed prototype of the 410 being a tier higher than the very successful 410 itself in the game.  And in the game, this plane reflects those shortcomings.  The mixed gun sizes and ranges make for poor ground strikes when the very limited bomb capacity runs out.

Me 329 - Great plane.  Again, solid guns to allow for continued ground attack after bombs are expended and excellent flight characteristics for a ground attack plane.  However, this plane is deeply nerfed from its planned configuration, carrying only a quarter of its planned bomb load and lacking the extra pair of 30mm cannons in the wing roots.  Still, it works so well and fits so well as is, I would not change it.

Me 1099B - That 50mm!  It hits hard and fast and from 1.5km away.  What a gun!  The 30mm cannons do better in air combat, but the 50 feels better against ground targets with the added armor piercing ability and longer range. 

Me 1102 - Feels a little mediocre at tier 10.  The flight characteristics do not make up for the mediocre ordinance load out and mediocre forward and turret guns.  Its obvious that you recycled this model and plane because it is not balanced or appropriate for the tier or the role.  However, given the fact that the Me 1102 plans never specified a particular gun armament, it should not be hard to buff the firepower some to make it shine.

Overall recommendations:

Replace the Fw 189 Uhu with an early model Stuka (limited additional model work needed since the current Stuka model can be modified slightly)

Make the HS 129 a tier 5 premium.

Move the Me 265 down to tier 6 and allow it side by side with the Ju-88P to keep some variety in the tree and allow a continued way to unlock from the 410.

Replace the Me 265 at tier 7 with another plane.  The Ju 388J would be a good candidate and keep the flavor of the line (big guns, limited bombs, comparable tail guns), while needing only limited model work to replace (modifying the Ju 88P model)

Buff the guns on the 1102 at Tier 10.  Given that the similar Me P.1112 was slated to carry two 50mm cannons, this would be an appropriate move.  Cut bomb load if this is too much of a buff.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Preditorian #9 Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 6256 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Well I only tested T7 and above, as I tend to not like low tiers.

ME265- Its a German IL10, guns take a little getting used to, but the planes' outstanding A2A performance makes it something to be feared by all who see it. I feel this plane needs no changing.

ME329- This plane again is great for A2A, while lacking in tail gunner department for comparable the IL20, but given its abilities in all other aspects, its worth the trade off. Also this plane has remarkable speed, although it takes a few moments to get to that speed, it will hold it very well allowing for some funny moments where you can outrun t8 fighters for the duration of your boost. Wow those 30's hit GT's hard. I see no need to change the 329 as well.

ME 1099- Say what? 4x 30mm from the TA152? and they are accurate? ZOMG those are fun. The 3x 20mm tail gunners seem to be lacking considering there is 3 of them, but they do fair damage. Again this plane is fast when pushed, being able to outrun a F2H while in boost is funny, being able to keep fighters at perfect distance for upgraded tail gunners to rip them to shreds while remaining large immune from their fire is more so. This plane flies exactly like a ME262 with very low alt cap placed on it. It fits perfectly in line with the previous 2 GA's. I feel this plane needs a very minor increase in tail gunner accuracy/damage to make it comparable.

ME1102- This plane is a freaking carbon copy of the 1099, just not as effective due to the t10's being able to counter it more effectively since they have higher speed and firepower. This plane is about as impressive as the 40P is to the 40... as in not very. I recommend some minor buffs to A2G ability to make it worth it.

Edited by Preditorian, 03 February 2015 - 08:24 PM.

BrushWolf #10 Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
The Stuka needs bombs. Make the 37mm guns only making for a choice, bombs or big guns.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

MagusGerhardt #11 Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Still patching on my second attempt to install the CT, but I have some input based solely on the information available on paper for the tier VII, VIII, IX and X.

Tier VII: Me.265

Tier V bombs are barely acceptable here, considering that the aircraft will be dropping them on tier VII-IX targets.  More powerful bombs aren't necessarily called for, but an increased capacity to match the planned 1,000 kg payload would correct this.  Four SC250s.  Of course, the 265 by all reports is quite effective in the A2A role, so perhaps its ground pounding ability is best left mediocre.

Tier VIII: Me.329

Same issues as the 265; it only carries two tier V bombs and no rockets.  Increase the capacity to 1,000kg as historically planned and this is alleviated.

Tier IX: 1099B

Why hasn't the SC500 made an appearance yet?  It is still mounted on the Me.210, a tier V premium, and is not seen on any other aircraft.  Replace the SC250s with SC500s and this gripe of mine goes away.

Tier X: 1102B

Same gripe as the 1099B.  The thought that tier V bombs are sufficient at tier X is just laughable.

POST TEST ADDENDUM:

TIER IV - FW-189C Uhu :  All around enjoyable experience to fly this ugly bird, and I do mean U-G-L-Y IT AIN'T GOT NO ALIBI.  It handily counters Soviet GAs of the same tier while still having a decent GA punch on GTs.  I would still prefer that this aircraft be turned into a tier IV premium equivalent to the LBSh and be replaced with a Ju.87D mounting dual 7.92s and dual 20mms with perhaps two or four SC50s as an outboard option.  The Stuka G starts off in a stock configuration that a tier IV Stuka could build up to; it would basically be a tier IV Ha.137 with a tailgunner.

Verdict:  Fine as-is, but would prefer a different plane.

TIER V - Ju.87 G Stuka :  Love this plane; I tried the dual 37s and found them very effective against ground targets, but the low RoF makes them undesirable for A2A if you anticipate taking on that role.  The Stuka G stil performs admirably against soft ground targets and very well against aircraft when mounting all top modules but retaining the stock 20mm cannon.

Verdict:  Excellent, don't change a thing.

Tier V Henschel Hs.129:   This thing is a dog.  There is literally no reason to fly it unless you like dying with no opportunity to fight back.  It's slower than a Stuka (And that's saying something) and turns WORSE than a Stuka, while having no rear gun defense of its own.  The only thing that makes it stand out is the MK-101 it can carry, but the Bf.110C-6 is a superior gun platform for that weapon.  The Henschel needs help, and a lot of it, or it will just never be flown.  WG will not benefit from people free xping their way past it because they will be flying the StukaG instead.

Verdict:  Horrible, endangered species before 1.7 goes live.

TIER VI - Junkers Ju.88 P : Love this plane, the guns on the stock configuration are the same as the Stuka G's 37mms, but they are mounted centerline and much more useful A2A as a result.  The cannons are even more effective against GTs as an additional bonus.  The Ju.88P turns surprisingly well for its role and has a beautiful amount of boost.  On the downside the gunner's weapon is weak and has a terrible range of fire, the Junkers bomber conversion fits in just fine.

Verdict:  Fine as-is, don't change a thing.

TIER VII - Messerschmitt Me.265 :  I don't think I can express how much I love this plane.  Finally I have not one, but two German batplane flying wings and this first one really threw me for a loop.  I can believe it was a derivative work of the Me.210 and 410 projects as it handles like a speedy low to mid alt heavy fighter, horizontal boom and zoom is its bread and butter and it dishes out slash and dash attacks on ILs with near impunity.  There is a tradeoff to be made, however.  If you want to concentrate on air to air combat, don't mount the MK108 cannons; that will put your bullet spread all over the map.  If you want to concentrate on your attacker role, you'll need the MK108s as the bombload of two SC250s is anemic at best.  The tailgunner seemed weak to me, but it was mostly shooting at other 265s and ILs, so I think it's fine.  This aircraft really lays the groundwork for everything you fly after it; they all have the same style and tendencies.  Heavy fighter boost, turn radius and hitting power, with the tailgun and armor of a GA without the giant hp pool of an IL.

TIER VIII - Messerschmitt Me.329 :  Gott in Heimel what an aircraft.  It's beautiful, it carries big guns, it's fast as hell and handles like a heavy fighter.  The only shortcoming this aircraft has is the bomb capacity.  It was planned for 1,000 kg and we have only 500kg on it?  These bombs are completely insufficient to take down the ground targets an attacker is expected to assault; the only things they are useful against are soft targets that would usually be attacked by multirole fighters, and even then only if the target objects are packed tightly together because of the nerfed bomb blast radius.  All other aspects of the aircraft are great, but the bomb issue becomes an issue here and only gets worse as you continue up the line.

Verdict:  Good, could be great with another look at bomb load.

TIER IX - Messerschmitt Me.P1099B-2 :  So glad to have this aircraft back; I felt like I was back in Closed Beta again, and giddy as a schoolboy.  This aircraft is so much fun to fly that I actually forgot how much I detest the MK108 cannons when it was stock.  The 50mm was a nonstarter for me; flew with it once and never again, but all was forgiven when I got my hands on the MK103s.  The cannons in all configurations do well against soft targets, but once again this attacker is held back by the anemic bomb load.  Capacity is now up to 1k kg in bombs, but since they are each tier V SC250s most tier IX and X ground targets will just laugh at them.  No complaints about any other aspect of this aircraft.

Verdict:  Good, could be great with different bombs or choice to mount wGr-210 rockets.

TIER X - Messerschmitt Me.P1102B:  Finally had a good time in this aircraft; I flew it before in Closed Beta when I had no idea what I was doing and my experience with it today was like comparing night and day.  It can only carry the HGIII's horrible horrible guns, but as I predicted their horrible muzzle velocity didn't matter because I didn't have to lead my targets as much as you do in the HGIII.  The addition of the dual tailgun was a good bit of foresight and it seemed appreciably strong; a half health J7W insisted on staying on my tail and I had a rear cover medal in seconds.  The bombs, however, have gone from questionable at tier VII to bad at tier VIII to horrible at tier IX and inexcusable at tier X.  You might as well strap cherry bombs underneath the wings for all the good those SC250s will do you.

Verdict:  Good, could be great with different bombs or choice to mount wGr-210 rockets.

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 04 February 2015 - 08:01 PM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

dityboycom #12 Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

My only conclusion so far about this new line is they were not built to be GAA but in fact to counter IL's. There is no real significant fire power to take down armored targets over a traditional IL yet you're given less bombs if any, and there is very little benefit to equipping the largest cannons because you're going to need to defend yourself.

Not impressed. Only half way through, we'll see. On to T8.

More of the same..

On to T9.

Yeah, overall very disappointed from a GAA point of view. These seem more like Low flying heavies able to ward off attacking IL's that can clean up targets if given a lot of time on their own. Cool i suppose as they do fit in the game, Just not really exciting to GAA pilots who were looking for something maybe not as strong as an IL but comparable in terms of GT clearing.  Can't even pop a ship in a single heat cycle with these planes and you can in an IL with out the use of ordinance.

Edited by dityboycom, 04 February 2015 - 12:47 AM.

WOW

dityboycom #13 Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:38 AM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View Postdityboycom, on 03 February 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

My only conclusion so far about this new line is they were not built to be GAA but in fact to counter IL's. There is no real significant fire power to take down armored targets over a traditional IL yet you're given less bombs if any, and there is very little benefit to equipping the largest cannons because you're going to need to defend yourself.

Not impressed. Only half way through, we'll see. On to T8.

More of the same..

On to T9.

Yeah, overall very disappointed from a GAA point of view. These seem more like Low flying heavies able to ward off attacking IL's that can clean up targets if given a lot of time on their own. Cool i suppose as they do fit in the game, Just not really exciting to GAA pilots who were looking for something maybe not as strong as an IL but comparable in terms of GT clearing.  Can't even pop a ship in a single heat cycle with these planes and you can in an IL with out the use of ordinance.

But boy does it take off T9/ T10 in destruction capabilties. The rest of the planes not so impressive. I'll probably skip all of the  planes below T7 and just jump right to T7 to get to 9/10 ASAP.

WOW

Black_Orchid #14 Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1161 battles
  • [-REAP] -REAP
When are these being intro'd?

dityboycom #15 Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostWhiskeyInYourWater, on 03 February 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

Total 100% turn around from previous post.

These GAAs gonna be PLAYAS

Nah wasn't a turn around. When I got to T9/T10 the plane came alive as a plausible pure GAA. T8 and below the GAA mission is pretty secondary while eliminating other GAA is primary use of the plane. That being said, it was still on the slow side of destruction, its guns just performed comparable to an IL 40/40p and the 4 bombs made a good distribution of 64 Supremacy points quickly. Which also is comparable to the IL 40's.

View PostWhiskeyInYourWater, on 03 February 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

I agree with you, but I think there is a place for this line. I think in the right hands this line will be VERY useful, but has to be in the right hands, with the right strategy.

Yeah, there is, just not the place I wanted to be. I'm a purist. :child:

It's okay, I'm still going to get them.

WOW

Raindrops #16 Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2934 battles
  • [EDF] EDF

The T4-T8 GAs are good at hitting the fellow GAs - ILs are more in danger of hunting than ever - but at the same time, max-gunned, they are more than capable of farming like the ILs. ILs have an early-game advantage due to ordinance, but the Germans more than make it up in a long-term game. Hint: Focus on ships - destroying the center armored section takes the whole thing down in one pass.

Really, with exception of ordinance, (and thus bomb-killing annoying tails) ILs are outclassed in every measure - even in health, the Germans are only slightly behind.

Also, why, why do the Me.265 and Me.329 have exactly the same engine modules? Due to the research setup you already clear them going through the Me.265, so why isn't the DB 693L simply the stock module? Is this an error?

Edited by Raindrops, 04 February 2015 - 04:58 PM.

I never said I was good.

USA needs GA too.

dityboycom #17 Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostRaindrops, on 04 February 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

The T4-T8 GAs are good at hitting the fellow GAs - ILs are more in danger of hunting than ever - but at the same time, max-gunned, they are more than capable of farming like the ILs. ILs have an early-game advantage due to ordinance, but the Germans more than make it up in a long-term game. Hint: Focus on ships - destroying the center armored section takes the whole thing down in one pass.

Really, with exception of ordinance, (and thus bomb-killing annoying tails) ILs are outclassed in every measure - even in health, the Germans are only slightly behind.

Only T6 and below takes ships out in one pass, as nearly any plane with cannons can take ships out in a reasonable amount of attempts at those tiers. T7 and T8 the Cannons on this line become a burden and it is better to equip lighter cannons though this may change when live and the stigma runs down and less people are playing them. At T9 the cannons come alive again, but even then you'll be hard pressed to take out most ships in one pass. There are some ships the broken ones us IL pilots know about that you can take out in one pass, but those are only on a few maps so its irrelevant. T10 the plane is awesome, and I'm not sure why people want anything changed on it. I think it's well balanced for what it is and it will compete with any 40P.

Of course my opinions are founded solely on the GT aspect of the GAA as that is their primary mission. Their A2A capabilities are impressive in the entire line starting at T7. T5, T4 struggle a bit doing basic maneuvers with out dipping their nose to the ground.

WOW

TwistedKestrel #18 Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11640 battles
  • [KAIJU] KAIJU

I feel like the T4-T5 GAs are more or less defenseless. The tier 5s are particularly bad because for some reason, they don't have their regular forward armament? And the cannons for all of these work like the pods on the Hurricane: very poorly. The HS-129 in particular is frustrating because it definitely had more than just a chin cannon. The Ju-88P is an odd bird, but hitting air targets with the 50mm is extremely amusing, especially if they're not GAs (usually one-shot). The 265 I think is a good plane, will probably need some time to be fully balanced but I could see it getting popular. That's as far as I got for now.

Unless there are changes to some of these, it will be necessary to fly all of these on the deck (maybe not T7+) just to avoid attracting enemy fire. If that's the dev's intention, well, I think that's a bit boring.

There are no bombers in the game.

dityboycom #19 Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

Colonel

• 10174 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostTwistedKestrel, on 04 February 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Unless there are changes to some of these, it will be necessary to fly all of these on the deck (maybe not T7+) just to avoid attracting enemy fire. If that's the dev's intention, well, I think that's a bit boring.

If they were not flown on the deck they would be heavies, not GAA. It's the nature of this game.

WOW

MagusGerhardt #20 Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

TIER IV - FW-189C Uhu :  All around enjoyable experience to fly this ugly bird, and I do mean U-G-L-Y IT AIN'T GOT NO ALIBI.  It handily counters Soviet GAs of the same tier while still having a decent GA punch on GTs.  I would still prefer that this aircraft be turned into a tier IV premium equivalent to the LBSh and be replaced with a Ju.87D mounting dual 7.92s and dual 20mms with perhaps two or four SC50s as an outboard option.  The Stuka G starts off in a stock configuration that a tier IV Stuka could build up to; it would basically be a tier IV Ha.137 with a tailgunner.

Verdict:  Fine as-is, but would prefer a different plane.

TIER V - Ju.87 G Stuka :  Love this plane; I tried the dual 37s and found them very effective against ground targets, but the low RoF makes them undesirable for A2A if you anticipate taking on that role.  The Stuka G stil performs admirably against soft ground targets and very well against aircraft when mounting all top modules but retaining the stock 20mm cannon.

Verdict:  Excellent, don't change a thing.

Tier V Henschel Hs.129:   This thing is a dog.  There is literally no reason to fly it unless you like dying with no opportunity to fight back.  It's slower than a Stuka (And that's saying something) and turns WORSE than a Stuka, while having no rear gun defense of its own.  The only thing that makes it stand out is the MK-101 it can carry, but the Bf.110C-6 is a superior gun platform for that weapon.  The Henschel needs help, and a lot of it, or it will just never be flown.  WG will not benefit from people free xping their way past it because they will be flying the StukaG instead.

Verdict:  Horrible, endangered species before 1.7 goes live.

TIER VI - Junkers Ju.88 P : Love this plane, the guns on the stock configuration are the same as the Stuka G's 37mms, but they are mounted centerline and much more useful A2A as a result.  The cannons are even more effective against GTs as an additional bonus.  The Ju.88P turns surprisingly well for its role and has a beautiful amount of boost.  On the downside the gunner's weapon is weak and has a terrible range of fire, the Junkers bomber conversion fits in just fine.

TIER VII - Messerschmitt Me.265 :  I don't think I can express how much I love this plane.  Finally I have not one, but two German batplane flying wings and this first one really threw me for a loop.  I can believe it was a derivative work of the Me.210 and 410 projects as it handles like a speedy low to mid alt heavy fighter, horizontal boom and zoom is its bread and butter and it dishes out slash and dash attacks on ILs with near impunity.  There is a tradeoff to be made, however.  If you want to concentrate on air to air combat, don't mount the MK108 cannons; that will put your bullet spread all over the map.  If you want to concentrate on your attacker role, you'll need the MK108s as the bombload of two SC250s is anemic at best.  The tailgunner seemed weak to me, but it was mostly shooting at other 265s and ILs, so I think it's fine.  This aircraft really lays the groundwork for everything you fly after it; they all have the same style and tendencies.  Heavy fighter boost, turn radius and hitting power, with the tailgun and armor of a GA without the giant hp pool of an IL.

TIER VIII - Messerschmitt Me.329 :  Gott in Heimel what an aircraft.  It's beautiful, it carries big guns, it's fast as hell and handles like a heavy fighter.  The only shortcoming this aircraft has is the bomb capacity.  It was planned for 1,000 kg and we have only 500kg on it?  These bombs are completely insufficient to take down the ground targets an attacker is expected to assault; the only things they are useful against are soft targets that would usually be attacked by multirole fighters, and even then only if the target objects are packed tightly together because of the nerfed bomb blast radius.  All other aspects of the aircraft are great, but the bomb issue becomes an issue here and only gets worse as you continue up the line.

Verdict:  Good, could be great with another look at bomb load.

TIER IX - Messerschmitt Me.P1099B-2 :  So glad to have this aircraft back; I felt like I was back in Closed Beta again, and giddy as a schoolboy.  This aircraft is so much fun to fly that I actually forgot how much I detest the MK108 cannons when it was stock.  The 50mm was a nonstarter for me; flew with it once and never again, but all was forgiven when I got my hands on the MK103s.  The cannons in all configurations do well against soft targets, but once again this attacker is held back by the anemic bomb load.  Capacity is now up to 1k kg in bombs, but since they are each tier V SC250s most tier IX and X ground targets will just laugh at them.  No complaints about any other aspect of this aircraft.

TIER X - Messerschmitt Me.P1102B:  Finally had a good time in this aircraft; I flew it before in Closed Beta when I had no idea what I was doing and my experience with it today was like comparing night and day.  It can only carry the HGIII's horrible horrible guns, but as I predicted their horrible muzzle velocity didn't matter because I didn't have to lead my targets as much as you do in the HGIII.  The addition of the dual tailgun was a good bit of foresight and it seemed appreciably strong; a half health J7W insisted on staying on my tail and I had a rear cover medal in seconds.  The bombs, however, have gone from questionable at tier VII to bad at tier VIII to horrible at tier IX and inexcusable at tier X.  You might as well strap cherry bombs underneath the wings for all the good those SC250s will do you.

Verdict:  Good, could be great with different bombs or chocie to mount wGr-210 rockets.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users